Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Also known as: TM2TW3: Kitimat Oil Drift

Welcome to another edition of the Alberta AI annual rally thread wherein a bunch of western heehaws get together, build monstrously lovely (but awesome) cars, drive them a long distance just to see if they can, drink beer, and enjoy pancakes by the campfire. Usually this involves getting to the ocean because we live in a landlocked prairie hell and we only need the flimsiest of excuses to get out of the dreaded near-desert of Palliser's Triangle.

2016 was The Original Transmountain to Tidewater Rally, intended as a bachelor party for McTinkerson who is now happily married to a lovely lady and her rad Porsche Maccan.

2017 was a smaller affair due to multiple personal hardships and unexpected expenses but was still a rad fuckin time. 2 Transmountain 2 Tidewater which was neither trans-mountain nor anywhere near tidewater, but it did involve an absolute boat of a car doing donuts in a gravel pit. Plus a turbo mustang!

2018 is getting back to our roots. This time it's my bachelor party, and I intend to make drat good use of this time. This one is gonna be fun.

Who?
Slung Blade and Seat Safety Switch - Current Ride: UNDETERMINED (maybe the lincoln from last year, maybe a ratty 500 dollar civic Switch has had rusting on his driveway for 5 years, maybe something totally new!)
McTinkerson - Current ride: RX8
NumbersMatching320 - Current ride: a BMW 320 for some reason.
All are welcome, please contact me if you are interested Alberta (or hell even Saskatchewan or BC AI friends)

What?
It's a Shitbox™® road rally where vehicles can cost whatever you like, but ideally don't spend too much more than $1000 CAD. Run what you brung, but make it safe(ish), and try to make it fun.

When?
June 9-15, 2018 is the provisional date.

Where?
In an attempt to live up to the name of the original rally, this time we will be headed to Kitimat BC, the terminus of the (in)famous and controversial Transmountain Pipeline. We shall drive from the Calgary area out to the national parks system, and head north along the beautiful Columbia Icefields Highway, where our cars will be targeted by the environmental police while we dodge German tourists who stop traffic so they can take some pictures of loving mountain sheep.

Why?
Because:

poo poo man, all that beer isn't going to drink itself.

The Rules
We've done rules in the past, and it never ends well. Let's leave it at that.

Scoring
Points are awarded arbitrarily by group consensus. Style like this is always a plus though:

mmmm

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

Also, as subtly noted, congrats on your engagement Slung Blade! Hopefully they know what they're getting into. :v:

Thank you :unsmith: She does, we've known each other for 6 years now. I still sometimes surprise her with the crazy poo poo I get up to though.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Switch and I did some work on his Civic today.

Changed the belts.

Broke the power steering belt tensioner bolt while doing so. Because of course I did.

But I got the fucker out.

Pretty precise drill job too, if I do say so myself.

And replaced it with an imperial threaded bolt and dual lock-nut setup to make it more chevrolet friendly.

We also did an oil change (it uses the same filters as my accent!), replaced the hatch glass' gas strut balls, and decided against replacing the inner/outer tie rods (too hard of a job for a weekend) and the rear toe arms (due to rust and captive nuts, and because they're probably fine).

Switch decided on the ride over that we should probably not run the civic, it shakes too much and hurts his back. My back hurt just looking at the car so I am ok with this.

Hail damaged 500$ civic: DISQUALIFIED

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Well gents, switch and I just purchased our sled for this ride.

I need to do some due diligence and paperwork, but we are technically owners of a 2004 acura tsx. Which is red and a six speed and has a fuckload of kilometers.

I'll post pictures of the rust and such once we have the keys.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

shipwrek posted:

Big time AI lurker here. Cannot wait to witness these shenanigans. I am in BC and would love to help if anything from Vancouver is needed! I make decals as a way to purchase all my Vancouver real estate so if this rally comes up with a design I could hook you lot up with some official colourful sticky things for sticking on things.

NumbersMatching320 posted:

^buy a shitbox and join us?

Yeah seriously, if you can swing it, why don't you meet us in Kitimat and drive back to the Alberta border with us? Or you can continue on to my place or Red Deer, wherever we end up. We'd be glad to have another person / team along for the ride :unsmith:

As I said the other day, Switch and I picked up our sled for this hayride. I present to you: Downgraded to Venture, The TSX

It's a 2004 Acura TSX

The body is pretty good from afar, but far from good as they say.

Someone backed into it in it's lifetime.

The fogs are basically non-existent.

The driver side wheels wells have some issues.

I mean, it's honestly not that bad.

The clearcoat on the trunklid is kinda bad. Couple rust spots.

But the interior is actually pretty nice.

The dude who sold it to us cleaned it out, but then he put like 5 of those orange creamsicle little trees air "fresheners" in it so it smells like the tropicana train ejaculated all over the inside of it.

I've got it sitting inside the workshop with all the windows and sunroof open to air out some of the orange stank.

But the engine is niiiice.

It's got some bullshit mods, like HIDs and an aftermarket intake, but the clutch is strong, the brakes seem pretty decent, and the six speed manual transmission shifts smoothly and crisply.

It seems to run really well, and it's had a recent oil change and service so I think we just need to shake it down and see what rattles loose.

:siren: things to do :siren:
I've ordered replacement solid hex lugnuts because jesus christ I hate those fluted cylinder ones that you need a keyed socket for.
It needs a detail from a pro to clean up whatever gunk got left over and whatever the little trees were covering up (I couldn't smell anything under it but that doesn't mean much).
New windshield / wipers.
Maybe summer tires / wheels?
Wirewheel off the rust, bondo fix and spray bomb repaint. <-- a fun learning experience for all!
New front clip perhaps, Acura wings and logo as well.
Repair or replace the fogs.
Unfuck / replace the HIDs (note the random floating relay in the top left of the engine bay image).
Probably a serpentine belt.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Liquid Communism posted:

Slung, you need to get a gallon of plasti-dip in some obnoxious color and do that whole thing.

I'm always partial to roadcone orange.

That would certainly fit the scent.

Notes from highway driving:
Vibration in steering wheel at highway speeds, probable tire balance issue.
Fifth gear pops out on high Accel/Deccel, possibly the motor or tranny mounts.
Driver's seat shifts slightly under accel/deccel, need to check and tighten chair rail mount bolts.

I'm getting concerned that there's something seriously wrong with it, but I have no idea what it might be. It seems way too nice for the $2300 we paid for it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

ExecuDork posted:

So, is this year's event completely ignorning the previous points system and cost restrictions?

Slung Blade posted:

The Rules
We've done rules in the past, and it never ends well. Let's leave it at that.

Switch and I way over spent on the Celica, and as he said we way underspent on the Lincoln. It's really hard to put a price on your own labour for this kind of thing though, and I dumped a ton of that in both previous cars.

I'm not worried about an arbitrary price point, this is just for fun.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Last night I was driving home and stopped behind a school bus dropping of some kids.

After, I accelerate, first gear up to about 20/30kph, shift into second, clutch release, wheels lock up, skid to a stop, smoke emerges from hood, stinks of clutch.

gently caress.

Ok, car can't drive, can place in gear (or at least I can row through the gates), but I can't release the clutch- I can hear and feel the motor loading up when I do, but the car will not move. Can't release clutch in neutral either with the same problem. Like it's stuck in two gears simultaneously.

I can push in neutral with the car off, engine spins when I do so, get a gross sounding clicking when I do.

Current slack based consensus is transmission gear forks broken or out of place, but I'm happy to entertain other ideas.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slow process, not because it was difficult, but because I was trying to be careful. :japan:

Winchy winchy winchy.

It rolled better when the clutch was to the floor.

Boosh.

I knew that hook anchored to the floor would come in handy.

Underside has some unusual leaks.

:thunk:

:thunk: :thunk:

The usual kind of damage from being slammed. Otherside seems fine, oddly.

A little weepy. Not bad though.

So I got it up in the air with four hockey pucks as jack spacers.

Started it, left it in neutral and the wheels spin forward at a reasonably high speed, say 30kph at idle, I think. Wasn't looking that closely. It did make some unpleasant grindy noises, but not like it was eating its own gearteeth.

Tried to put it in first and she stalled almost immediately after you start letting the clutch out. I didn't try any of the others.

That's about as far as I got tonight.

Also my stud welder arrived today, I am looking forward to playing with that, but that will have to wait.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We got the trans out last night and hooooly gently caress it is wrecked.

Like before we even crack into the gearbox itself it looks like a clutch grenaded in there to me. There's a legit hole in the casting.

Phone posting but I will add pictures later if I can.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy poo poo what a day that was. Thanks to numbers matching and switch for coming over to help for drat near 9 or ten hours today.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

We discussed doing all those tricks. But princess Auto was a 20 minute drive away, and I really wanted a slush because it was loving 25 degrees outside. Also I had no bread.

I think I drank four litres of water/soda/iced tea and I went to take a leak once.

Plus I'm forever looking to better equip my shop.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It absolutely was attached, very well. It just was attached by corrosion and poorly conducting salts.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ok so at least two attendees this year have to be back early due to poor planning or lovely bosses so it is increasingly likely that we need to alter the route in order to be back in time.

I still think we should do the Columbia icefields highway and over to prince George. After that I guess we could head south to Kamloops and then back over the mountains on the #1.

If we have time, I'd like to hit Burns lake, my grandpa used to work there in the 50s and talks about it all the time, would be nice to show him that I've been there. I'm not sure how far that is out of our way, but I'll figure out of we can manage or not.

E:. Burns is a five hour round trip out of Prince George. Doable, but it's a big time dent. I'm not hell bent on getting there but it would be nice if we can swing it.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 27, 2018

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that literally is the fastest route. Unfortunately.

We could do my place-> Burns, stay the night, then -> revelstoke -> home. Leaving Friday morning from my place this would work. But that's a marathon of driving. The cars would all have to run perfectly, and what are the chances of that?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm hoping to leave Friday morning, and mctinkerson had to be back Sunday night.

So, leave on the 8th, back on the 10th. I'm taking that Monday off as a recovery day.

I'd be up for another trip to the Reynold's museum after we part ways with mcT if you guys like.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So with the major mechanical problems sorted (hopefully) I wanted to deal with some of the more cosmetic poo poo.

Like this giant dent in the hood.

And this formerly rusty bit.

Grinding off the paint, I applied my new stud welder.

I was a little overzealous with the slide hammer and this one popped out, but it helped pull the dent out a bit.

Primer.

Paint.

Not looking too terrible. Not bad for a couple afternoons' worth of effort, anyway.

Except for this part that I missed under the masking. God. Damnit. :argh:

Assembled the grille and put it on the car.

The metal on the front fender is rusted to the point where I can poke through it with a screw driver. So it's trash. When Seat and I bought the transmission, we also picked up a fender. Shame it's the wrong colour.

Ground off the white pearl paint.

That ain't too bad.

It's a decent 15-20 footer now. Still low spots in the paint, and it needs to be polished / wet sanded, but there are more spots that need attention. I have not yet mounted the new fender either, we'll do that when we get home probably.

It's sure nice to be able to drive it again.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Due to unforeseen circumstances it appears that McTinkerson will not be joining us :smith:

New plan is to leave friday morning and head up the icefields highway and into BC. Instead of running the death slog to Prince George, we will instead head south earlier, towards Clearwater BC.

https://goo.gl/maps/wYhvWVTerL52

Eventual goal is Radium BC, but it will probably take until saturday to get there over this route.

After that, anything goes. We could swing south to come back via the crowsnest pass, or just hang out in the Invermere trench and take it easy for a fuckin change.

I know I could use a break.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So instead of a rally, this is now a road trip.

Numbers matching joined seat and myself in the Acura. It's a little tight with all the gear, but still fairly comfortable. I drove today's route from Calgary to Kamloops via valemount. Acura remains comfortable and I do not feel fatigue from driving which I don't think I've ever experienced over a distance like that before.

We stopped in Clearwater for dinner at a local bbq place, the brisket was excellent. After that, the rain set in and darkness fell. We rolled into Kamloops under the guiding light of George, so dubbed by seat, a trucker completely oblivious to the near zero visibility on the freshly paved and therefore nearly completely unmarked highway covered in rain.

Dark George be praised.

We are now relaxing in our hotel room and enjoying an introspective beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah that Acura ran like a champ all weekend. It even got really good economy.

I think it only took like 20 some litres to get back from radium, and that includes a trip back into town from my place.

Thanks for coming you guys, that was a fun way to spend a couple days.

• Locked thread