Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Eela6 posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an anime with Ainu characters before. That's kind of hosed up in retrospect. We do the same thing in US media with our native population, too.

Samurai Champloo had an Ainu character who iirc was the focus of a two-parter.

Not anime, but the entire last arc of Okami was Ainu-focused.

It's fairly common for Japanese media in historical/fantasy settings to incorporate some Ainu elements, especially when it comes to clothing (e.g., some of the costumes in Utawarerumono or Ico/Shadow of the Colossus/The Last Guardian).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
stolen from the season thread:
https://twitter.com/KamuyCentral/status/983391271447232512

quote:

Q: Is there any part of the production that poses a particular challenge?

N: Maybe creating the bear with 3D techniques. Readers of the original work would know that bear in this work is an important animal. Since I want the bear to emanate a different presence than the humans, I undertake the challenge of visualising the bear as giving an unusual atmosphere using 3D. It’s because when the animation is hand-drawn, we can feel the emotions of the artist in the show; it’s also difficult to draw the fur sufficiently like in the original work. However, if we purely only use 3D to make the bear, there will appear parts that do not blend with the surroundings, so we’re still trying to figure out how to fit it all.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
While I like that this series is being animated and so far it's pretty accurate to the source material, the CG animals are bad. I understand cutting costs with some of the slightly lackluster drawing and animation but the CG is quite bad. I'll still watch it but eh somewhat disappointing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Who hired this hack fraud?

The original manga did a lot to represent bears as terrifying monsters without having them clash with the rest of the art.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
drawing still images is extremely different than drawing images to move

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Also Ashitaka from Princess Mononoke is supposed to be from a hidden Emishi village.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 11, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Tell him it doesn't work, OP, it just looks awful.

Which is a shame, because I liked the first episode of this otherwise, but that bear was way too distracting.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

drawing still images is extremely different than drawing images to move

This

It's an experiment that didn't work out in the eyes of many - I was cool with it but even if I hadn't been, no big deal. Seeing it become a stupid meme is vaguely annoying speaking as someone who's been so pumped for the anime.

And I mean I love Noda and there's nothing wrong with doing it but talking about how it's ruining it to try something that might have been a cost effective and less difficult decision brings me back to discussions we'll have about the manga sometimes about whether Noda relies "too much" on filtered photographs for backgrounds when like... Can you blame the man

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

cgi isnt even cheap

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

This

It's an experiment that didn't work out in the eyes of many - I was cool with it but even if I hadn't been, no big deal. Seeing it become a stupid meme is vaguely annoying speaking as someone who's been so pumped for the anime.

And I mean I love Noda and there's nothing wrong with doing it but talking about how it's ruining it to try something that might have been a cost effective and less difficult decision brings me back to discussions we'll have about the manga sometimes about whether Noda relies "too much" on filtered photographs for backgrounds when like... Can you blame the man

At least when Noda uses a photograph he's skilled enough to make it work (well enough).

I can appreciate the attempt to try something new, but they should have done a stripped down test to see if it worked instead of just going all in on it for the first episode to the point that they couldn't try something else.

Plenty of other animated shows are able to draw animals with fur in a satisfactory way without blowing the whole budget. Plus, they could have just swapped the shading style to match Retar at the very least when they saw how bad it clashed.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Crain posted:

At least when Noda uses a photograph he's skilled enough to make it work (well enough).

I can appreciate the attempt to try something new, but they should have done a stripped down test to see if it worked instead of just going all in on it for the first episode to the point that they couldn't try something else.

Plenty of other animated shows are able to draw animals with fur in a satisfactory way without blowing the whole budget. Plus, they could have just swapped the shading style to match Retar at the very least when they saw how bad it clashed.

Yeah I call BS on all of this, I've seen countless furry little dogs in animation that looked just fine, and I'm sure I've seen bear-sized critters look good too. Maybe you can't animate every fur dynamically, whatever, but take your best shot at doing it and do it in the same style as the rest so it doesn't clash with everything else.

It could have been done well if they funnel time and money into it to the point where it's CGI but it looks just slightly different than normal to give the bears and other animals a real force of nature presence, but at that point you're better off just animating them slightly differently within the same style to get that effect, or using music or sound (particularly sound) to make them have a big impact.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They could just go with the Gintama approach:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've seen plenty of badly designed/animated animals in 2d anime and Shirobako even has a subplot about the dwindling ranks of animators who are good at drawing animals. i don't think it is that much of a stretch to understand that the staff here had legitimate concerns about animating the animals, which are hugely significant to the series, and chose a path like cg that has the benefit of consistency and stands out. it's also worth noting that this path has to fight against the already existing issues with cg and a tight production schedule.

i don't begrudge anybody for disliking the look but it's perfectly understandable how they came to this end result and a less than ideal cg model may still be better than whatever alternative they could've cooked up if the cg was scrapped after already having significant work put in. the shoulda coulda woulda posts are pointless.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this guy who is insanely overworked and underpaid made one decision that didn't pan out partly due to financial and time reasons and partly because it was a poor idea artistically. imo, he should be put to death.

the bear looks bad but I can't blame an anime director for striking out with an idea. criticize it obviously but like, art is about going for ideas. sometimes those ideas don't work. i don't think it means anyone involved is unskilled or a 'hack fraud.' the guy's been working in anime since the freaking castle of cagliostro, and he's had major roles (episode director, storyboarding) on beloved shows like FMA: Brotherhood and Eureka Seven. He's not some random hack, he's a skilled artist who led a team that made a decision that unfortunately backfired.

Crain posted:

im the guy who thinks an anime production cycle has enough time to do anything like this

Endorph fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 11, 2018

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo Part 7 is never going to get animated because there are so many loving horses in it and horse centered action scenes and i understand cause fuuuuuuuck that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they could def just cg some horses

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

they could def just cg some horses

oh god, no, the conversation is looping

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
there's so many horses yall

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if they were smart they'd give kamikaze douga multiple years to make a jojo OP-quality cg anime

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, screw that. First, we need Bruno's fabulous Boy Band of GangStars, which is to be followed by Jolyne and her ruffian-harem to then get into Funky Bill and Grumpy Ted's Excellent Cross Country Adventure. All JoJos or NO JoJos! :colbert:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Endorph posted:

im the guy who thinks an anime production cycle has enough time to do anything like this

Ok that's a fair point. Sometimes I forget that anime production is a death march.

At least they did actually go for something and try to use fur physics to make it look "real".

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011

Endorph posted:

Nakoruru in Samurai Shodown was probably the most prominent ainu anime/game character before this. They're also a pretty big plotpoint in Shaman King. Also Aramaki (the old guy with the dr. wily hair) in ghost in the shell is of Ainu descent.

The main difference is that the 'official' population of Ainu in modern Japan is only 25,000, as opposed to the 3-5 million native americans have in the US. There's probably more, but a lot of modern Ainu have basically lost track of their cultural history, so there's no real way to make an official count. Unlike America, where full-blooded native americans are treated as outsiders, a lot of Ainu have basically been assimilated into Japanese culture. You can even see this in art itself: the word 'Kamui' is derived from Ainu religion, but there's plenty of anime that just toss that out there as a cool sounding word, like Kill la Kill.

The Japanese government also deliberately does not take census data on the ainu

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

John McClane posted:

The Japanese government also deliberately does not take census data on the ainu

Japanese citizenship and the Japanese race are considered to be synonymous to the government. Even if you are quite clearly not and will never be treated as one, a naturalized foreigner is part of the 99% ethnic Japanese majority for demographic purposes. Naturally this also handily eliminates all the Koreans, Chinese, Ainu, etc that actually live there.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 12, 2018

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/ZiggyZagz/status/983861134615658497

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I honestly don't think I've ever seen an anime horse I thought looked right, and have seen way more hosed up dogs than normal-looking ones. I really don't have a lot of faith that a hand-drawn bear wouldn't look just as jank as the cg bear only in different ways :shrug:

anyway the bad bear meme is getting old so how about let's table it for now and see if things improve in the next episode.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Everything Burrito posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever seen an anime horse I thought looked right

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
you may not like it, but this is what peak horse looks like

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
that horse has the poo brain

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

that horse has the poo brain

Peak poo brain.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/mo_su983/status/982994584509673473?s=19

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

When do the faces happen?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the first one is in like chapter 3

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I don't care as much about the bear as I do about the main character skinning that old guy. It was dope.

I probably should read the manga.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

btw, finally watched the episode, and this is a load of PR nonsense, because the first thing I saw that was off was actually the campfires, which is the same ill-fitting CGI as the bear, but there's no artistic or plot reason for it to be like that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fire, also potentially hard to animate

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Isn't this the studio's second anime?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't this the studio's second anime?

they also did one of the Project Itoh movies but yes, this is their second tv production and coming immediately after their first just ended.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Pine Jam's first proper anime Gamers!? That was a pretty good anime.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pine Jam actually did a couple shorts before Gamers, and iirc both Gamers and their follow up Just Because had various production issues despite being good shows.

Geno Studio already has another upcoming tv anime on their plate on top of being fresh from doing Kokkoku so I really have no idea how these schedules are fitting together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

dogsicle posted:

no idea how these schedules are fitting together.

They aren't lol. I love anime.