Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm praying for them to get to fish guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've seen plenty of badly designed/animated animals in 2d anime and Shirobako even has a subplot about the dwindling ranks of animators who are good at drawing animals. i don't think it is that much of a stretch to understand that the staff here had legitimate concerns about animating the animals, which are hugely significant to the series, and chose a path like cg that has the benefit of consistency and stands out. it's also worth noting that this path has to fight against the already existing issues with cg and a tight production schedule.

i don't begrudge anybody for disliking the look but it's perfectly understandable how they came to this end result and a less than ideal cg model may still be better than whatever alternative they could've cooked up if the cg was scrapped after already having significant work put in. the shoulda coulda woulda posts are pointless.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they could def just cg some horses

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if they were smart they'd give kamikaze douga multiple years to make a jojo OP-quality cg anime

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

fire, also potentially hard to animate

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Isn't this the studio's second anime?

they also did one of the Project Itoh movies but yes, this is their second tv production and coming immediately after their first just ended.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Pine Jam actually did a couple shorts before Gamers, and iirc both Gamers and their follow up Just Because had various production issues despite being good shows.

Geno Studio already has another upcoming tv anime on their plate on top of being fresh from doing Kokkoku so I really have no idea how these schedules are fitting together.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

So like is there an actual reason for animes to have such short development cycles, if they're paying for the team to fix it for blu-ray release anyway? Is it just producers cargo-culting?

good old capitalism

if you need to make anime to pay employees, you're constantly taking jobs but there's a finite amount of flexibility in each project's schedule so unforseen issues can pile up and affect the current project or maybe even the next one down the line etc.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i would think we can stop beating the dead bear, at least until the second one shows up

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this does not surprise me

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

over time i've grown skeptical of any tv anime to really capture meme faces from the manga, or even to do adequate versions of iconic stuff like umezu, jojo, etc. so not really a mark against this particular show, but still a bummer

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all digital volumes of the manga are currently on sale for $7/ea, if you're interested in that

https://www.comixology.com/comics-sale?list_id=23463&lang=1

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also some more twitter threads on the production side of things, especially worth noting the chain that starts with Canipa's tweets

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/986257809908973568

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol, good collab

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/crazynabe/status/1007088013497823242?s=19

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's not done with malice but yeah when you play hard into psychosexual horror tropes for an arc, it turns out to be pretty easy to make a negatively stereotyped trans character

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

oh, for real? thanks noda gaku

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

hey maybe don't double down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

all i smell is osoma, and not the hinna kind