Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Crain posted:

At least when Noda uses a photograph he's skilled enough to make it work (well enough).

I can appreciate the attempt to try something new, but they should have done a stripped down test to see if it worked instead of just going all in on it for the first episode to the point that they couldn't try something else.

Plenty of other animated shows are able to draw animals with fur in a satisfactory way without blowing the whole budget. Plus, they could have just swapped the shading style to match Retar at the very least when they saw how bad it clashed.

Yeah I call BS on all of this, I've seen countless furry little dogs in animation that looked just fine, and I'm sure I've seen bear-sized critters look good too. Maybe you can't animate every fur dynamically, whatever, but take your best shot at doing it and do it in the same style as the rest so it doesn't clash with everything else.

It could have been done well if they funnel time and money into it to the point where it's CGI but it looks just slightly different than normal to give the bears and other animals a real force of nature presence, but at that point you're better off just animating them slightly differently within the same style to get that effect, or using music or sound (particularly sound) to make them have a big impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU