Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Expect My Mom posted:

drawing still images is extremely different than drawing images to move

This

It's an experiment that didn't work out in the eyes of many - I was cool with it but even if I hadn't been, no big deal. Seeing it become a stupid meme is vaguely annoying speaking as someone who's been so pumped for the anime.

And I mean I love Noda and there's nothing wrong with doing it but talking about how it's ruining it to try something that might have been a cost effective and less difficult decision brings me back to discussions we'll have about the manga sometimes about whether Noda relies "too much" on filtered photographs for backgrounds when like... Can you blame the man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I don't know if Noda is bi or straight or whatever but the discussion is always a little fraught with tension for me maybe because earlier on - before I think this started getting more obvious, more campy, if that makes sense, you'd definitely stumble into bro-y folks talking about women coming into this series and liking it for the 'wrong' reasons; i.e., women would only be capable of liking a series because of eye candy/shipping and not because of anything substantive (luv the LOGH fandom, where you can't talk about this at all without being told you make stuff up!). To me Golden Kamuy is not really a case of some guy wanting to draw fanservice-y stuff for the ladies; given his background and the way he talks about what he's working on and the fact that he will publicly endorse BL series I think it's a bit more than just 'he's catering to a female audience.'

Not to say I've seen anyone saying that here and again, regardless of who Noda is, the series itself is pretty gay to me and the people who were initially obnoxious about that (like 'ew more gross stuff with Tanigaki where are the boobs') weren't super prevalent, just annoying, and they sure seem to have gotten quieter.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Wark Say posted:

I think the point is less that Ienaga's creepy because of being a transwoman and more that she's very... um, Mengele-esque about her methods.

This is true, and seems to be what Noda intended - it's just that the stuff she's doing is to make herself more youthful/attractive as a woman is tied in with her crimes so it definitely stings.

I think the manga fandom doesn't necessarily forget that Ienaga's characterization is problematic but we do kinda work around it as with a few other things in the series where you're like 'oh gosh, Noda, you... didn't really handle that right and should have known better...' Ienaga's a fan favorite with a lot of people.

Don't want to excuse it or say that no one should be upset, because I was certainly upset when I got to this point. There are about four things I generally warn my friends about when they start this series because superficially it seems like funtimes bear stuff: the Ienaga bit is one, then animal violence (even if it's hunting/preparing, I think it's shocking to some) and two events later in the series that I can hide in spoilers - the first we will not be seeing for a while, the second is coming sooner: Farther away: guy is into bestiality and in manga we see him having sex with animals, characters are rightfully appalled by this but it's still...there Coming up sooner: gay couple that are sorta slapstick-y and I don't think he meant for it to be ha ha gay people but it unfortunately comes across that way in a manga without a lot of other emphatically, obviously gay characters as opposed to uh, maybe coded ones if you want to talk like that?

If anyone ever needs specific spoiler info like this for the series or episodes it's always cool to ask, if folks make fun of you for asking that kinda stuff they're jerks :mad:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Wark Say posted:

:sadwave:

I really hope there's a second season.

There will be. Starting in October!