Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Pulsarcat posted:

I think it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSd-9ZVbZA4

I love how so many of us have all of their videos committed to memory, so we can link them within minutes

RareAcumen posted:

You've gotta speak up and ask questions if you ever wanna find stuff!

That was Deceased Crab. https://youtu.be/vSd-9ZVbZA4

There you are old friend! Thank you both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I was having a look at some of the old RP names and BillyMC was a contestant on Let's Make a Deal a few months back!

I do miss the old Retsu days, although it's right that everyone's moved on from that now. When you look back it could be a bit toxic, not just from the folks themselves but from the fanbase. Even bleeping out people's names, which they started to do near the end of RP'ing, didn't really help that much and undeniably some people (including BillyMC) took it quite negatively. It could be quite vicious after all. But the Wrongpuraes, Retsufrash all that has definitely held up great. Dark Seed II is still one of my favourite things.

It's weird, years later...like, there's stll people who'll just point a camera at a TV screen and just natter a bit and it's kinda fun to stumble upon something like that really. Like a fun throwback. Some of the folks who got RP'd a fair bit still happily do the same thing years later -- Deceased Crab, H.C Bailly, Cornshaq...like, they're all still around and pretty much haven't stopped.

This is almost a good excuse to mention one of my favourite YouTube people and pretty much the godfather of UK Retro Gaming on YouTube, Steve Benway. Over a decade in, still happily playing and waffling. Gave me my first big YT shoutout many years ago. Such a great guy. (Politically as leftie as can be also)

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 17, 2020

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

MechaX posted:

Retsupurae's Ripper wasn't their best work I would say, but still okay overall. Spoony's LP of that was pretty good, but I feel like Spoony was top form for weird games like that and Phantasmagoria.

Actually wait, remember when Slowbeef impersonated DarkSydePhil and didn't break character for like 2 hours

"I heard that, Curtis!" is one of those brain worms that don't go away

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Some of Chip's RPs got reuploaded. This one peaks immediately with the realisation of why the game looks like that, you honestly don't need to watch more than the first like 20 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0MW0LjtCo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Dabir posted:

Some of Chip's RPs got reuploaded. This one peaks immediately with the realisation of why the game looks like that, you honestly don't need to watch more than the first like 20 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to0MW0LjtCo

I appreciate this channel because "backwards six-hundred and sixty frames a second" will never not make me laugh

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Alacron posted:

Slowbeef's Creepy Pasta readings were a personal favorite of mine, with Blood Whistle feeling like a clear winner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ziR3WdNP7U

Yeah slowbeef's house of horrors are my favorites too, I really wish there were more of them

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SpaceCommie posted:

Was it Retsupurae who did a whole video chatting about the person playing the game only to, about 8 minutes in say somthing like "should we tell them that we're not actually talking about the video yet?"

I've been looking for that particular video for years.

It's them riffing on a DeceasedCrab video. The joke was that DC was so formulaic and predictable they could commentate on one video but attach the commentary to another one.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only association i have with deceasedcrab is la mulana, i don't even remember if I watched that lp back in the day but I was certainly aware of it

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Always make a point to re-watch the BillyMC Christmas Adventure every December, one day you'll get those burgers Billy :allears:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The anime commentaries by Chip Cheezum and General Irononicus were pure gold. I was only able to find some of them on archive, and with horrible quality.

And it was before I got on board, but I feel that BillyMC was the turning point of RP toward weird games and away from fumping on people. By that time pretty much every flavor of incompetent or crazy LPer had been showcased, the big ones like Pewdiepie and DSP were not budging, and Billy was just a goofy, happy kid. It would take a real jerkass to keep leaning on him, and thankfully the guys were not that.

That said, the RP of the two guys bickering while playing Monster in My Pocket still earns a gut laugh from me every time.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

I've heard Mage Knight was a really good sport about it, surprisingly.

In hindsight his production was pretty drat good for the time outside of his goofy fanfiction approach.

Wow, I never saw this one. I used to run one of the bigger Fire Emblem community sites (note: I did not mod myself into the game to declare my undying love for a character) and MK404 was and I think still is a pretty significant pillar of the community--back in like 2007 he was a forum mod for us. He was a good dude when I hung out on that part of the internet and I'm not surprised he was cool about it.

Given that the FE community has its share of sex pests running around now too, getting a ton of eyeballs because they're so hilarious lolllll...blech.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Retsupurae's first Ripper series was with Lowtax but he left in the middle of it so Slowbeef had to restart it with Diabetus which made it a lot better tbh.

Slowbeef also did a series on Phantasmagoria together with Lowtax which in hindsight contains some very not ok jokes knowing what we know now about Lowtax. Diabetus and Slowbeef should redo Phantasmagoria too, just get rid of Lowtax on their channel completely, I'm sure Diabetus could come up with a lot better jokes as well make it one of the greats.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of my favorite old retsus revolve around incredibly bizarre presention choices, like the guy with the random deafening censor noises

https://youtu.be/m5TW2PfwxMQ

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Edit: Eh, no

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 17, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

a lot of retsupurae definitely hasn't aged well but the LuwiigiMaster one is still a classic

also I might not have ever discovered George Wood's content if it weren't for retsupurae

Sephyr posted:

And it was before I got on board, but I feel that BillyMC was the turning point of RP toward weird games and away from fumping on people. By that time pretty much every flavor of incompetent or crazy LPer had been showcased, the big ones like Pewdiepie and DSP were not budging, and Billy was just a goofy, happy kid. It would take a real jerkass to keep leaning on him, and thankfully the guys were not that.

I think BillyMC was also the point where they started to really realize how many people were watching their videos, and no matter how much and how loudly they said they don't have anything against the people they poke fun of and don't seek out and harass them, someone in the audience was going to do it anyway.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 17, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thew talks about a bunch of Skids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlW7MgTTWxU&hd=1

Skids really is the most disrespected original autobot. I didn't even know how he went out in the IDWverse and lol boy that's a real awful way to go, and then it kept getting worse for him even after he died!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/_flowerguardian/status/1317401691076124673

:allears:

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Chickens finally come home to roost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJEmUuny9g

So the long and short here is that Blaire White took a step too far and made a now deleted video attacking Janae Marie Kroc, a trans woman bodybuilder, for competing with women. The problem with this is that it would take literally seconds of research to reveal that Janae only competes with men, has never competed with women, and has no intention to compete with women - she is a former champion and has instagram posts, news articles...a whole freaking documentary in which she says she is returning to compete with the men (NOT "as a man". A big difference, which obviously isn't recognised in the vid - in fact, Blaire states she switches between men and women to make out she's obviously confused about her gender, which is of course a complete lie). Blaire made the whole drat thing up. Seriously, even for an attack video like one of hers the lying and misinformation is off the charts.

This is far from the first time Blaire has misreprented or lied about someone, but this is the one that's stuck with exposure videos coming out left right and centre, lots of drama, and lots of bringing up all the times that she's pulled this poo poo - whether it's making out that a parent forced their kid to be trans, or putting a completely innocent drag queen unrelated to the topic in the thumbnail of one of her predator hunter videos, or the countless times she purposefully insulted and misgendered Riley Dennis, later apologising only to then basically do the same thing to other people, the other times she's painted innocent people with the predator brush with zero justification and refused to apologise because they insulted her looks or whatever. All that toxic poo poo is finally properly biting her in the arse.

Naturally she's got an apology up on Twitter -- weeks later of course despite people pretty much shouting at her about this from the moment she uploaded the video, and certainly not on video or anything like that. Plenty see it for the complete bullshit it is, although there's obviously still the odd stan (including Jaclyn bloody Glenn of course) saying "yaaa slay this is how you learn and grow!" -- which is great! If it wasn't for ALL THE OTHER TIMES she's done this.

So yeah. This is all good to see. Such a vile, horrid bully of a woman. Ugh...makes me feel awful thinking about it tbf.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 18, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A Garth Ennis comic about superheroes filtered through the military-industrial complex turned into a TV series where the themes are refined even further is critical of the notion of superheroes? No wonder poor Bob was so confused. Who among us could have known.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Chickens finally come home to roost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WJEmUuny9g

So the long and short here is that Blaire White took a step too far and made a now deleted video attacking Janae Marie Kroc, a trans woman bodybuilder, for competing with women. The problem with this is that it would take literally seconds of research to reveal that Janae only competes with men, has never competed with women, and has no intention to compete with women - she is a former champion and has instagram posts, news articles...a whole freaking documentary in which she says she is returning to compete with the men (NOT "as a man". A big difference, which obviously isn't recognised in the vid - in fact, Blaire states she switches between men and women to make out she's obviously confused about her gender, which is of course a complete lie). Blaire made the whole drat thing up. Seriously, even for an attack video like one of hers the lying and misinformation is off the charts.

This is far from the first time Blaire has misreprented or lied about someone, but this is the one that's stuck with exposure videos coming out left right and centre, lots of drama, and lots of bringing up all the times that she's pulled this poo poo - whether it's making out that a parent forced their kid to be trans, or putting a completely innocent drag queen unrelated to the topic in the thumbnail of one of her predator hunter videos, or the countless times she purposefully insulted and misgendered Riley Dennis, later apologising only to then basically do the same thing to other people, the other times she's painted innocent people with the predator brush with zero justification and refused to apologise because they insulted her looks or whatever. All that toxic poo poo is finally properly biting her in the arse.

Naturally she's got an apology up on Twitter -- weeks later of course despite people pretty much shouting at her about this from the moment she uploaded the video, and certainly not on video or anything like that. Plenty see it for the complete bullshit it is, although there's obviously still the odd stan (including Jaclyn bloody Glenn of course) saying "yaaa slay this is how you learn and grow!" -- which is great! If it wasn't for ALL THE OTHER TIMES she's done this.

So yeah. This is all good to see. Such a vile, horrid bully of a woman. Ugh...makes me feel awful thinking about it tbf.

god I hope this is what finally makes that wretched woman slink away or at least stick to being a twitter shithead or whatever.

Dawgstar posted:

A Garth Ennis comic about superheroes filtered through the military-industrial complex turned into a TV series where the themes are refined even further is critical of the notion of superheroes? No wonder poor Bob was so confused. Who among us could have known.

Seriously The Boys is maybe one of the worst comic book series I've read but even in its original terrible form it was pretty crystal clear that the whole thing was even if The Boys are complete loving animals led by someone entirely motivated by a personal grudge he pretends is a noble crusade...the super heroes are still an overtly fascist institution forced on the world. The show is less bad and somehow even MORE overt with a goddamn character named Stormfront involved and a lot of other stuff I won't say since it's a spoiler for a still recent show and all but it makes it even more clearly 'GUYS, THE SUPES, THEY'RE NOT COOL EVEN IF ON A PERSONAL LEVEL SOME ARE FINE'

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 18, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Boys is a good show and I'm not trying to defend Bob or anything, I just think "superheroes are inherently MAGA" is kind of... lazy as critique? It doesn't even really explain their appeal, it's just blithely dismissive.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Arist posted:

The Boys is a good show and I'm not trying to defend Bob or anything, I just think "superheroes are inherently MAGA" is kind of... lazy as critique? It doesn't even really explain their appeal, it's just blithely dismissive.

I agree that the whole "super heroes are inherently reactionary" thing is a boring cold take but its extremely funny watching Bob get mad at it because hes one of those people who think buying tickets to see Captain Marvel is activism.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You're also just taking the hot take bit of a presumably longer interview.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That headline is hot garbage and you can tell immediately who bothered to read the article and who didn't.

That showrunner has a pretty good head on their shoulders.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, that's fair.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kim Justice posted:

Naturally she's got an apology up on Twitter -- weeks later of course despite people pretty much shouting at her about this from the moment she uploaded the video, and certainly not on video or anything like that. Plenty see it for the complete bullshit it is, although there's obviously still the odd stan (including Jaclyn bloody Glenn of course)

Ugh, Jaclyn Glenn. I had completely forgotten about her until I read this post, but I used to be subscribed to her (a holdover from when I was more invested in the atheist/skeptic scene), and her posting a video co-starring White on her channel was what got me to finally unsub to her. That was maybe two, three years ago, but she had been getting bad for a while even before then

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Jimbot posted:

That headline is hot garbage and you can tell immediately who bothered to read the article and who didn't.

I think the better way to phrase it is that MAGA is akin to a superhero narrative--sit back and let someone else have power, they'll sort things out for you. That's essentially the message of the THR article as well. It even says so in the pull-out lift quote:

In order to miss this, you would have to have neglected to read the article. Which I'm almost certain Moviebob did.

The Boys is a really good series, by the way. Head and shoulders above the source material.

e: I forgot how to quote.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Oct 18, 2020

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

readingbob declined to comment

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

Ugh, Jaclyn Glenn. I had completely forgotten about her until I read this post, but I used to be subscribed to her (a holdover from when I was more invested in the atheist/skeptic scene), and her posting a video co-starring White on her channel was what got me to finally unsub to her. That was maybe two, three years ago, but she had been getting bad for a while even before then

I would want a friend of mine, particularly a close friend as she apparently is, to actually call me out if I did lovely stuff and not just be all "YOU GO GIRL" as Jaclyn does.

But then I've lost count of the times Blaire's being bestest of friends with someone only to have a big messy fallout with them for whatever reason so that'll probably happen eventually. Actually, having the temerity to even slightly disagree in public with something Blaire says is usually enough reason for a big public drama, or just not being any use to her anymore.

Iambic Pentameter
Sep 21, 2017

To elaborate on the Blaire White thing, at one point in her video she flashes up an Instagram post Janae made where she explicitly says she's not going to compete against cis women, except Blaire cropped the bottom half of that out

She absolutely knew Janae was only going to compete against cis men, which to the surprise of no one makes her apology complete poo poo. She researched and found the facts, then simply used manipulative editing to fit her narrative

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Hahahahaha, oh god that's even better...or worse.

Even without that - 10 seconds. That's how long it took to search Janae's name on YouTube and find a wholly unrelated video with literally the title "transgender bodybuilder Janae Marie Kroc to compete against men". Either Blaire is the worst researcher ever or purposefully lying and manipulating poo poo, and the answer to that is pretty obvious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this guy, MTGRemy, got linked in an MTG thread and I like his style of silly nerdy musical covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GglMojOIYIo&hd=1

insanely nerdy but I dig it. I missed the UROOOOOO~ at the end the first time I saw it, that's a nice touch.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I can guarantee movie bob didn’t read the article

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Ghostlight posted:

readingbob declined to comment

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/986637040942047232

:v:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Nash has unfortunately also been going on really dumb rants and takes about the show that seem mostly motivated by him loathing the comic so much he won't give the show a chance.

Which is fair but his takes are so bad it's embarassing.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

this guy, MTGRemy, got linked in an MTG thread and I like his style of silly nerdy musical covers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GglMojOIYIo&hd=1

insanely nerdy but I dig it. I missed the UROOOOOO~ at the end the first time I saw it, that's a nice touch.

Yeah his videos are great, I do think you miss most of the appeal if you don't have at least basic knowledge of Magic though. While the core of each parody is pretty simple to understand, the verses especially are usually just filled with smaller references that require some game knowledge. Which is basically what gives the videos their charm.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Who the gently caress goes "le sigh" unironically in 2020? Even Reddit doesn't do that anymore.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

sexpig by night posted:

Seriously The Boys is maybe one of the worst comic book series I've read

I immediately started reading after finishing season 1 and I completely agree.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Vichan posted:

I immediately started reading after finishing season 1 and I completely agree.

You should try Crossed. Ennis really outdid himself on making something repellent there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
Super Eyepatch Wolf lists his favourite things again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB8sSyAo6wY&ab_channel=SuperEyepatchWolf