Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BobbyK posted:

Are there any internet review people who are not boring rear end white people?

La'Ron Readus seems cool; I've only seen a few of his videos so far after finding him through one of Lindsay's videos but I like what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

BigglesSWE posted:

Will it come at all? I got mixed signals; like the ending of that second video was just a joke.

I hope we get more tho.

The joke was that there were originally 2 Hobbit movies planned but then it suddenly expanded to 3, so Lindsay repeatedly said she only was going to do 2 until the reveal at the end of the video. Pretty certain she fully intends to do a 3rd video about the effects the movie had on New Zealand.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I fell in love when I heard the hydrocity zone music.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

He's already talked about all this on his twitter feed if you want to read up about it.

https://twitter.com/FoldableHuman/status/984828065577517056

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

The problem is that it's a bunch of people willfully misrepresenting what's going on. Only a tiny number of people knew about what was happening when it was actually happening; this has all come out many years after his death and the only reason it came out at all is because of CA's inept responses.

The dude is loving dead; telling the world about what happened and opening up the victims to backlash helps literally nobody. These people don't actually care, they just want to feel self-righteous about how THEY would totally take down the scumbag etc.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Oh god this was 40 minutes ago and he's still struggling with that drat log.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah. Well, I suppose I don't really disagree, but I also don't really think it's fair to characterize Contra as "seriously" engaging with them. She mostly posts mock videos and explanations of why things like fascism are garbage, and she's also improved with time. A lot of her work was also done before Nazis were literally marching in the streets, too.

An answer to what?

I don't follow Contra so somebody can probably go more in depth but a little while back she went on a debate with some alt-righters and gave an interview to that one terfy guy whose name I don't remember and a lot of people were upset about her giving them an air of legitimacy.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot she does podcasts and stuff I don't follow.

Yeah that's kind of lame, at least the alt-right part. If she, as a trans person, wants to debate TERFs, I think that's her decision, tbh, however.

The interview wasn't actually a debate just them talking about her coming out as trans and stuff and it was very positive but people were upset with her doing the interview because he has made a number of anti-trans remarks in the past and feel that it was making him seem better and not terfy or something. Like I said, I don't follow Contra so this is basically whatever came into my twitter feed through various sources but that's the gist I've gotten out of it.

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Contra engaging in debate with alt right figures for a time (something she gave up) did get a lot of ire for giving them a platform. The thing is that she uhh... didn't. She engaged them in their spaces, on their streams, where it was their fans watching, some more reachable than others, in order to reach those people. It always seemed way more like they were giving her a platform than the other way around.

E: I forgot about the terf journalist guy but I do think she changed her stance in the time since then.

That's probably the biggest part of the issue here. While debating with nazi's and the alt righters gives them a feeling of legitimacy they don't deserve they also often have thousands of viewers, some of whom may not be as indoctrinated in their awful ways and might be able to step back and really look at the awful things they're saying and how they actually effect real people.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there is absolutely no point in trying to reach out to the alt-right. they are not the people who can be won over to the left. the disenfranchised who sit out elections entirely because they are (rightly) convinced that the system is broken are the people worth talking to, not the group that looks up to pieces of human garbage like milo yiannapoulos and elected a meme as president.

I disagree with this. While the people closest to these youtubers and the strongest advocates for the alt-right will never change their mind their viewers aren't all so convinced. Yes, we aren't going to change the minds of the people who went to the march in Charlotte but most of these people didn't. Most of them just want to hear someone talk about how they really are the victim and find sympathetic voices. I don't believe they are unreachable.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

See, if it was his podcast and not hers, I think that her just being there and presenting a positive portrayal of trans people is a win, imo.

It was actually an article that he wrote for whatever thing he works for but yeah.

Yardbomb posted:

Despite efforts to always offload these things onto "Rednecks" and other barely coded "THE POOORS!" analogs, most of the neo-nazis alt-right are upper middle class shitheels, they're victims of nothing and deserve no sympathy.

Everybody's got problems.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Purely personal opinion but I've been watching Lindsay's stuff for a little while now and really enjoy it but every time somebody links me to an RLM video I usually get a few minutes in before getting bored and doing something else. :shrug:

I mean, I've never specifically searched out their stuff so it's possible I haven't given them a fair shake but that's just my experience.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

business hammocks posted:

I did not expect to sit in rapt attention for the entire hour. This one is crazier than Trapped on a Island with [teen idol whose name I forgot].

So I looked it up and that second book she has, the sequel, is almost 5 times as long as the first book.

I'm looking forward to this series of videos, as directed by Peter Jackson.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I got into Jenny's videos like a month ago when somebody linked her "Worst Reality Show Of All Time" video and I was hooked through the whole thing. She had also just uploaded her Escape From Tomorrow video which is really good and I've since made my way through her entire backlog (yes, including the pony videos).

Thinking about it, it's weird how many movie critic people I watch seeing as how the last movie I've seen in theaters was The Jungle Book and the one before that was in like 2011. I don't really watch movies but people like Lindsay Ellis and Dan Olsen keep me riveted.

Also Dan's Book Of Henry video is probably my favorite of all time. I'm pretty certain him and Lindsay I found because of HBomberguy.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Have you been living under a rock for the last 4 years?

e: Alright, less glib.

He's not making videos exclusively for the kind of people who post in this thread. He's got 2500 patrons and 225000 subscribers and there's kind of been a movement about "objective criticism" and not "shoving politics" into game reviews and poo poo.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Hey everybody! I made a video about character design and iconography, but it's mostly about how it's pretty hosed up the latest mario game lets you dress one of the most recognisable characters in the world as a topless loving cowboy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Fn-pgJ_8Y

Just thought you should know that you misspelled "Design" at 1:15.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

On some level I respect Farcry 3 for having a vision, but on the other hand boy was the writer huffing his own farts the whole way through.

The idea that some of the cutscenes were meant to be Jason's subjective fantasy doesn't come across at all beyond being noticeably ridiculous, and the bar is so low that simply ridiculous is not enough to let the audience in on the joke. I would be charitable and say maybe not every iota of his satirical script made it into the game unaltered, because that's just how it happens, but on the other hand he thinks "shooting arrows at a giant monster == shooting sperm into a sexy lady" is an acceptable and sound bit of symbolism so nah.

Hey, they weren't just any arrows, they were exploding arrows so....whatever that means.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

"Picture of the girl who hanged herself" doesn't mean picture of the girl actually hanging herself, it just means that it was the picture of a girl who later hanged herself because of bullying from 4chan

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Is that Martin Sheen as a ghoul?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I had to go look up Urgot's redesign; I haven't played in years so I can't talk about the way he plays but boy is that visual design disappointing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

I always see people say it but I dunno what's wrong with TLOU's gameplay, I always thought it was really well done third-person shooting. :shrug:

Same. I didn't own a ps3 for a long time so only played it when at a friend's place but I really enjoyed it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, God of War is an incredibly shallow and basic series, and comparing it to a proper character action game like DMC is horribly overselling what it offers.

Also, honestly, Nier and Automata are probably two of the actual best games ever made, and it would've been great to see either one get even half of the press GoW18 did. But they're just too crazy and japanese, and god knows we can't have that.

So how much time did you spend looking up 2B's skirt?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I never watched any of TB's stuff and never followed anything he did, but I saw this tweet once and it's stuck in my head ever since for some reason

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/559960294890692608

in response to

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/559958978701324288

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

TGLT posted:

Not watching the video, but even odds they completely misunderstood the Courier-Ulysses relationship and just assumed that the Courier was supposed to know who Ulysses was.

edit: Nope they just think that you have amnesia after getting shot in the head and they missed any of the dialogue options where you get to fill out your backstory. Also they think NV has no first act because they think pre-getting shot in the head is the first act, and not the journey to New Vegas. Because I guess they think first act of a three act-structure must be perfectly peaceful? I dunno.

Also they ragged on not getting your personal effects when you do, you just don't have very much. I think a bunch of it was also pre-order DLC?

They also talk about how they could have implied an "Act 1" by giving the player perks or something, apparently missing that that's almost exactly what Traits are. I have never seen somebody be so wrong about a video game before.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I remember in the first Doom trailer the executions were slow and drawn out. I'm glad they listened and sped everything up.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Zedd posted:

Furries is one of those things I just don't get, like I've seen very progressive ones, and MAGA ones so I guess it isn't a universal thing. And I know I shouldn't judge but most of them are almost hostile towards people not getting it, not even disliking them for it, just not getting it.

Furries are just a thing. There's no overall ideology to it although they do tend to be more open to lbgt groups.

I don't know about them being hostile, I don't think I've really seen it, but I do know they've spent like 15 years getting poo poo on by the internet at large so I wouldn't be surprised if they're touchy.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

After Pa Kent's spiel about the world not being ready for him Clark listens to his advice and let's him die to the tornado instead of risking exposing himself, therefore :words:

I haven't seen the movie and know nothing about it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

I don't know if I'd say "developed" since he was dropped before he did anything anyway.

I mean, moviewise his arc is :

Is a child
Watches his father die at the hands of a jedi

Is an adult bounty hunter
Gets eaten by a sarlacc

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pop Culture Detective put out another video on how toxic masculinity is pervasive as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8xL7w1POZ0

More than a few of the sample clips made my skin crawl, and there's just, an endless amount of them.

I don't think I've seen any of the movies shown there but it does make me think of that movie Overboard where the rich woman falls off her yacht and ends up with amnesia and the carpenter she ripped off convinces her she's his wife. Even as a kid I thought it was creepy and weird.

Also in trying to remember the title I discovered that they did a gender swapped remake that came out earlier this year. What a bizarre choice.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Mongeau, who has more than 3.5 million subscribers

I'd never heard of this person before and I know it's just me not being part of that scene or generation but I always think of this quote from Jenny Nicholson's Jeff the Killer video (which everybody should watch cause it's pretty great).

quote:

How is it like that, that like, every week I can discover 5 new youtube channels I've never heard of before and they have, like, as many followers as people in a country.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 23, 2018

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't think it's crazy to say there is more to the cost of a hobby than money. Most people have jobs with irregular hours or week to week scheduling that can't accommodate weekly rehearsals.

how much does it cost to put on a play that people will watch? these set design, costuming, Lighting, and makeup, those skills require as much if not more technical knowledge and it can be even harder to come by.

for directors and singers, A cell phone is all you need to record video or audio

for writers, a word processor and an internet connection is all you need to publish a book

artists have been posting there work online for nearly two decades

It's a big time cost, maybe a decent financial gain in a very niche field with a small audience. I'm not even saying it's bad, it's just most people will never experience a play and that's fine dude.

I like the set of goals you've got here. You need costumes and lighting and lots of stuff to make a play someone will actually watch but slapping a lovely youtube video up online that zero people will see is somehow it's equivalent?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Roth posted:

Centrists are very rarely, if at all, actually people

Indeed

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Obligatory

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Jenny very quickly became one of my favorites when I discovered her about a year ago.

She just has a really natural charisma and as has been said is genuinely funny.

Absolutely this. I've posted about her here before but once someone linked me to her The Worst Reality Show of All Time video and spent the next day just watching everything she'd ever done. I don't actually watch movies anymore but people like her, Lindsay, and Dan make really good videos even though I'm not really invested in the subject matter.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Didn't Detroit also patch in the ability to get a new slave hostess if you freed your original one, basically negating the entire message/point of the game?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

It's highly unlikely to have either giant jiggling tits or massive amounts of gore therefore anime nerds hate it.

Also loving lol at "genuine anime"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

40-Degree Day posted:

How the gently caress is TLJ a political target? Are people still mad about the black character or is it even dumber?

Please stop making Disney movies your hill to die on.

Once something is drawn into the culture war there is no escaping the culture war.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wish it did, instead it had some to make you wonder what exactly is happening but not enough to feel like you understand it.

The politics didn't seem that complex to me and I'm pretty certain they exposit exactly what's happening at some point

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome to everything that's not food and shelter?

They're selling it because there are people who will pay for it.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Because they want to?

If your argument is that all micro transactions necessarily lead to games that are grind fests in order to spur purchases just say it but that's also not the case. There's plenty of micro-transactions that are 100% optional in games that play perfectly fine without buying anything ever.

Like you can make an argument that Capcom is going to gently caress it up because it's Capcom and as a fighting game fan I've seen them gently caress up some poo poo with real money purchases but that's again another argument.

Mother loving SFxT fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

OmanyteJackson posted:

What you're describing is the West Wing. The show that has given decorum poisoning to an entire generation of america's political class.

So I have watched The (first four seasons of) West Wing a ton and I don't really see that. Sure it's not some super leftist show or anything but the characters usually try whatever tricks they can do to get the poo poo they want passed. The first major plot point of the series is Leo calling Bartlet out on getting to the White House on a leftist campaign only to ride to the center and sit.

e: oh my god what a stupid snype