Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

I reached Conan in the Marvel reading project.

Holy poo poo you guys, it's so much better than almost all of what Marvel was putting out at the time (the arc with Capt Stacey is fairly contemporary, so Spider-Man is still better). It hit right as Kirby was leaving, and it was just a massive breath of fresh air and wicked art.

Savage Sword or the regular colour Conan book?

Also, I should probably nab that Conan/Wonder Woman crossover while I still can, huh? I doubt it'll stay available once Marvel formally take the Conan licence back next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jordan7hm posted:

I reached Conan in the Marvel reading project.

Holy poo poo you guys, it's so much better than almost all of what Marvel was putting out at the time (the arc with Capt Stacey is fairly contemporary, so Spider-Man is still better). It hit right as Kirby was leaving, and it was just a massive breath of fresh air and wicked art.

I keep telling people how good Marvel's Conan is and nobody believes me, they're all like "Oh I'm gonna read this Dark Horse stuff instead".

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They need to put Marvel Conan on Unlimited.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Roth posted:

They need to put Marvel Conan on Unlimited.

It's one where the license gets you. At least Marvel and Dark Horse got together to insure reprints of it could be made.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

It's one where the license gets you. At least Marvel and Dark Horse got together to insure reprints of it could be made.
Marvel doesn't have any say in this unless a Marvel character shows up somewhere.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The license comes back to Marvel next year, so I’m hoping they get the books up on Unlimited. If it’s like Star Wars, maybe they get the entire thing including the DH books.

Also, regular Conan, not Savage Sword. So far just #1 and 2. I tell you, going from Conan to Buscema Namor or Trimpe Hulk is loving brutal. Marvel wasn’t great in 1970/71. There’s a real peak in the late 60s, and it feels like it’s going to be a bit before we get back to that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Marvel doesn't have any say in this unless a Marvel character shows up somewhere.

That's not how things work. Marvel hired Roy Thomas and Barry Smith and John Buscema and others to make Conan comics. They own those comics even though they do not own Conan. When Dark Horse got the Conan license, they couldn't just automatically go, "Well, we've got Conan now so those comics from the 70's are ours, too!" They had to make a deal with Marvel to be allowed to reprint them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s not necessarily true. Marvel was able to just reprint the Dark Horse Star Wars comics without making a deal with DH. They are apparently paying royalties though. It depends on how the license agreement is structured.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i started reading the first alien omnibus tonight, as most of you probably saw the discussion in the q&a thread, it has the first arcs all the way back from 88 right after aliens came out. i guess the main characters were originally hicks and newt, and if you read it its pretty obvious, but they had to change the names after alien 3 came out and hosed everything up. another interesting thing is that this is so early in world building that the big bad corporation used in the story isnt even weyland-yutani its just some rando company

anyways what i really wanted to mention is how ballsy dark horse was coming right out of the gate having the aliens overrun earth in the first arc. like that really sets the tone for how hosed humanity is, im excited to see where this goes

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i'm going to put most of your babytown liveblogging projects to shame

im reading 2000ad

all of it

"but dickeye haven't you said that before" yes but this time i'm actually loving doing it, as of a few minutes ago i've read exactly 302 issues of the galaxy's greatest comic, i've got a handy dandy spreadsheet tracking what i've read and what runs i want to make a point of reading, gently caress all of you, i'm reading 2100 issues of an anthology that ranges from "the best loving thing, how did all this talent get squeezed into six years" to "jesus fuckin christ how did this book survive these six years"

my original plan was to read it from the beginning, straight through to where i first started reading it weekly at 1983, but it turns out this is a TERRIBLE idea because the early stuff is very 70s british boys adventure comic. its a very good one, but its severely limiting and wears thin fast

my new and improved plan involves multiple chunks that i've got mapped out based around important stories or just getting the last ten or so years read. i just finished necropolis (650-699) which i read as a break from my main project, reading from 1500-1982, the starting point of which i picked because its the start of Judge Dredd: Origins, the story that finally canonically explains exactly what went down in the last days of the american government and which everyone on this site should go read because it RULES

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 11, 2018

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Coward! I actually have read all of 2000AD! Like literally all of it, every goddamn Prog. Plus early 2000AD has poo poo like FLESH, so it's awesome! Yeah you get a lot of SPORTS BUT IN SPACE but hey whatcha gonna do. MACH 1 always sucked rear end though, bootleg 6 million dollar man.

Plus, half the fun is all the bizarre rear end series nobody remembers! Harry 20 On the High Rock is an amazing sci-fi prison story, nobody talks about Dexter Sinister but that's ace too. Finn is fun in that uniquely British mid-90's Eco-Feminism way. Plus you got the series about a genetically engineered sheep solving MEAT CRIMES in a future England where Veganism IS LAW.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Sinister Dexter is incredible but it has the absolute worst pun in the entire magazines history

A strip club

Named Straddle Various

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Sinister Dexter is incredible but it has the absolute worst pun in the entire magazines history

A strip club

Named Straddle Various

His name is a close second.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

good day for a bris posted:

His name is a close second.

Both of their names you mean, also no, there's way worse names

Kal Cutter for example

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also to be clear I am going to read all of it, eventually, but reading it in order is like pulling teeth

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
After a couple months of not reading much Marvel, I’m back at it. No pictures this time, but some highlights from the early 70s:

the horror books coming strong with Man-Thing, Tomb of Dracula, and even Beast in Amazing Adventures. Tom Sutton, Mike Ploog, Howard Chaykin and Rich Buckler are taking Marvel into a different direction and I like it, even if Ploog and Sutton in particular are perhaps ill suited for mainstream cape books

second person narration is the bane of 70s books. Seriously for all the complaining people do over Lee’s writing, at least he didn’t have every single story directly address the reader as though the reader was the protagonist. This convention can’t stop soon enough. Conway was the worst and most prevalent, but Englehart and Gerber are doing it too, so this must be some kind of editorial mandate. I HATE it.

Luke Cage comes fully formed. That first issue isn’t perfect, but it’s a drat good origin story. It even explains his dumb costume. I was impressed. Nice work Len Wein & co

Werewolf by Night not coming strong. Ugh. I expected better.

Hulk can get pretty wild. Trimpe is a terrible artist but he really does try to do experimental stuff. I can’t fault him for that. He just doesn’t have a good grasp of the fundamentals.

Buscema was absolutely killing it on Thor post-Kirby. I don’t think his book has had a badly drawn issue in like 8 years. It’s crazy how consistently good the quality is here. The writing is like Spider-Man... not always the best, but with the highest highs and very few actual lows.

Daredevil in San Fran is pretty good. Colan is still probably my favourite artist from this period now that Steranko and Kirby are truly gone. Maybe Adams but I haven’t seen him recently so not sure what he was tagged on.

Conan remains the best thing at Marvel

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Are you gonna be reading the magazines, too? The horror and Conan mags are some of the best things Marvel's ever printed (even though the non-comic content is very obviously phoned in). And no drat comic code to hold them back!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As much as I can get a hold of, yeah.

Will probably skip the text, other than Conan. Like letters, I kind of pick and choose what to read.

I’m 100% reading Savage Sword. As much in paper as I can - I bought a big collection that runs from the 80s to the end, albeit with missing pieces.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of the prose is ok but the "movie reviews" in the horror mags are a joke.

DRACULA REVIEW: eh it's kinda dated. :shrug:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Actually speaking of no comics code, I was surprised to see Thor, Hulk, and Man-Thing racking up bodycounts. Man-Thing is a bit more personal obviously, but there was no beating around the bush, Thor was murdering trolls and giants, and Hulk sunk (and exploded) an entire ship full of Soviet navy dudes who got in his grill.

The 70s certainly feel a lot darker than the 60s.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

DRACULA REVIEW: eh it's kinda dated. :shrug:

As easy as it is to make fun of that, remember that the reviewer wrote it at the height of New Hollywood when movies were changing hard and fast. So yeah, stagey films from the 30's and 40's weren't going to be appreciated for what they were at that moment.

I actually kind of want to see what the Marvel horror magazine movie reviewers were like now. Was there offhand dismissal of James Whale? High praise for I Spit on Your Grave?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think most of them were written by Marv Wolfman so it's basically like listening to your dad talk about movies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
70s marvel is wild. Dudes getting murdered all over the place, Spider-Man’s adventures taking a decidedly supernatural direction, Banner throwing over Betty for a green skinned sub atomic queen, etc.

The other thing I didn’t realize is just how much the x-men show up. I thought these guys were supposed to be on hiatus, but Alex and Lorna are in Hulk, the core four (minus Beast) are in Spidey-Man (Spidey even gets his Mack on with Jean), and Beast has his own series. It truly was a universe.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I’m going to post here more.

You know a surprisingly good comic? The original Night Nurse run. Basically just romance comic that ended up getting pulled into continuity, but a good one. It focuses on three nurses who all come at nursing from different angles. There’s lots of action, some romance, some family drama, and even a mystery in one of the issues.

I liked it, and it’s a nice breather in a long run of Gerry Conway or Mike Friedrich issues. Ugh.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I reached a true highlight of the order tonight. Luke Cage #9. Wherein Luke Cage goes to Latveria to recover his money. Perfect in every way.

The issue afterwards is DD #100, which marks Gene’s return to the magazine after a few issues off. And the introduction of Rolling Stone to the Marvel universe.

Some good stuff all around. And within spitting distance of S-M 121.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Some good stuff all around. And within spitting distance of S-M 121.

Ah, the definite, "Lock the doors, kids. We're no longer in the silver age and I don't like the looks of this neighborhood," dividing line.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So close, but still not there.

The original Doc Savage is a pile of trash. Like the most boring comic I've read in dozens or hundreds of issues.

It's weird because I like pulpy stories but the plot is confusingly awful and the story is just completely uninteresting.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm in ~72-74

Night Nurse is over :( Winslow Mortimer and the ladies were just too good for this world.

Kull is every bit as good as Conan. Did not expect that.

Doc Savage is absolute trash, as mentioned. But I mean this panel... loving gold.

Luke Cage is the best hero in the order despite some horrific white-man version of black american slang. This may be related to the fact I haven't read a core Spider-Man book in well over a hundred issues.

Steve Englehart's run on Captain America is heating up. The retcon of the fake science teacher Captain America & Bucky to account for the 50s Captain America books is loving incredible. The best retcon in comics to date, possibly ever. Captain America 155 is a must read.

Thor was goddamn wild.

It feels like Sal Buscema is drawing everything right now. Not ideal, but I'm warming to him. He's better than Andru at least. It's funny, from our vantage point we remember these guys at their peak. Let me tell you, very few of them jumped into the scene as anything but pale shadows of their best selves.

Bill Everett politics rule. weirdly out of place for a Sub-Mariner book about Aphrodite fighting Ares, but I don't care.

e: Some more wicked pages and panels from the early 70s Silver / Bronze Age crossover period.

Evil cap & bucky being racist as gently caress.

Steve Gerber is a drug user.

Ant Man is trash but this cover is bonkers good.

Ghost Rider is also trash but lol this page.

And also these panels.

Some of the good Kull poo poo I was talking about

And finally a horror magazine panel. No comics code here.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 8, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Double post but gently caress it here's some more good poo poo presented without context.

Imgur isn't working properly so I can't continue to upload pictures. So I can't share the page and a half of Doom stopping one of his men from raping a woman he had kidnapped. loving 70s Marvel, man.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Always love your updates, the Kull stuff is quite good.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Are you reading Iron Man as well? I remember roller-skates, noses, MODOK in a giant robot suit and a whole lotta Firebrand. Also skinny Thanos.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Achernar posted:

Are you reading Iron Man as well? I remember roller-skates, noses, MODOK in a giant robot suit and a whole lotta Firebrand. Also skinny Thanos.

Yeah, I’m reading all of the 616 continuity and some extras as well (Conan, Kull, some of the monster stuff).

Gonna be honest, iron man is not my fave. He’s very whiny for a billionaire superhero. Tony’s at least no ant man, but I’m only ok with spider-man constantly complaining because that’s kind of his whole deal. When anyone else does it it’s just annoying.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah, I’m reading all of the 616 continuity and some extras as well (Conan, Kull, some of the monster stuff).

Gonna be honest, iron man is not my fave. He’s very whiny for a billionaire superhero. Tony’s at least no ant man, but I’m only ok with spider-man constantly complaining because that’s kind of his whole deal. When anyone else does it it’s just annoying.

I got long runs of both Captain America and Iron Man starting from the mid 70s and I have to agree that Cap is way better. When it get into the 80s Cap gets even better while Iron Man just gets sorta decent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You've started to read stuff from when Steve Gerber was active at Marvel. His style grab you yet? I can't wait to see your reaction to his Man-Thing run.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

You've started to read stuff from when Steve Gerber was active at Marvel. His style grab you yet? I can't wait to see your reaction to his Man-Thing run.

Yeah he’s become one of the more regular guys already. Right now the writer bullpen is him, Englehart, Conway, Friedrich, and then a bunch of random fill ins and Thomas coming down from on high.

I like Gerber. There are some stylistic choices made across the board that I don’t love (excessive text boxes and second person narration being the two primary ones) but I don’t blame him for that. He’s weird. I like weird. That alternate reality bit in Man-Thing was awesome. I’m really looking forward to Howard’s series.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
More panels.

The weird rapey scene I mentioned. Not what I expected from a Marvel comic.

NAMOR IS A MAN!

Social commentary.

Even better social commentary.

Social commentary all over my pristine politics free Marvel comics! I will be stopping my subscription sir.

Argument for Steve Rogers being bi.

And straight up baller art and crazy plots. (I think this was just after Kirby left and Buscema was doing an amazing job channeling him.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah he’s become one of the more regular guys already. Right now the writer bullpen is him, Englehart, Conway, Friedrich, and then a bunch of random fill ins and Thomas coming down from on high.

I like Gerber. There are some stylistic choices made across the board that I don’t love (excessive text boxes and second person narration being the two primary ones) but I don’t blame him for that. He’s weird. I like weird. That alternate reality bit in Man-Thing was awesome. I’m really looking forward to Howard’s series.

Gerber's full run on Man-Thing is one of the primary influences cited by Neil Gaiman for Sandman, it gets so much better than it is right now, and it already starts out great.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Gerber's full run on Man-Thing is one of the primary influences cited by Neil Gaiman for Sandman, it gets so much better than it is right now, and it already starts out great.

Mike Ploog's art on those early Man-Thing stories is incredible and once things start getting crazy they get really crazy (obviously, given the posted page). People forget that Howard the Duck was a Man-Thing supporting character when he debuted...

The 70's Namor run is something I've always meant to go back and read through since it seems like it touched on so many books at the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Turning Point is something else.

121 was good but holy poo poo 122. The scene with Harry, and then the scene with MJ... the brutal beating Peter lays on Osborne... it’s all fantastic. I knew it was coming and I’ve seen the pages before but what a pair of issues. Like nothing else on the shelves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sub-Mariner continues to be a vehicle for Everett to talk about politics. I'm generally in favour of this.

Luke Cage is a vehicle for Billy Graham to do loving wicked work.

Also, Cage kills a dude. A bit of a surprise moment for me there, I don't expect it will, but hope this has repercussions in future issues.