Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hey gang, reading an old comic series and want to post your live reactions but the Marvel thread is arguing about which characters prefer deep dish to actual pizza? Well fear no more, because now you can just keep your updates here instead of possibly getting buried by news, brand new comics, and the latest hot takes.

If you are lost: A liveblog is basically like running updates. Posting your thoughts on a piece of media as you are experiencing it, and discussing it with other people who are also reading your posts.

Some rules:

1. The comic/run has to have concluded. Any discussion of current comics should go in the appropriate thread. This is to make sure that this thread doesn't just steal all the activity from other threads into this one.
2. Hatereads are, of course, accepted here.
3. Please make most of your updates more than just a panel with a snarky comment. I know it's tempting, but it would be nice to keep posts a bit more in-depth. Obviously, you can still try to be funny in your posts.
4. Presumably, people will be posting liveblogs of their first reading of a comic. As such, please avoid discussing in-depth spoilers as a general courtesy.

I will try to keep track of everybody's liveblogs in the OP as we go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Get hyped because after work I am going to start a liveblog of Future's End

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So, here's my first attempt at a liveblog. Let me know if there's anything that could be done better. My "style" if it could be called that, was genuinely just commenting on this stuff as I was reading it, so if that's not really working out, or it could be improved, I'm open to feedback.

Ok, this can’t be that bad, can it? Jeff Lemire’s on it the job!

Never mind, it's already bad.

Not even 10 loving pages and somebody has already had two arms chopped off. This has got to be a record for DC.

I’d like to remind everybody that this is what DC decided to put out for Free Comic Book Day 2014. The day whose stated mission is to get more people to get into comics, especially kids.

Have fun, new readers, with Frankenstein having sewn Black Canary’s face to his chest and having her blast away Bearded Barry (Barry for short).

Arm dismemberment counter is at 3 in the first issue. Impressive

Dead gay count: 1

Truly a mystery why Grifter never took off.

This is now my favorite panel in anything ever.

I’m counting this towards the count

Dismembered arm count: 4

So I'm not just going overboard with images, let's talk about Grifter for a second. My experience with this character has been: Flashpoint Paradox the movie, The Wild Storm, and New 52: Future's End. I know he has a terrible New 52 series, and that he was as major of a Wildstorm character as I guess a Wildstorm character can be, but I am really baffled by what the appeal of this guy is supposed to be. His costume is terrible, and he's the Punisher in a universe that already has a ton of rough anti-heroes. It's like all he's there for is to be the only character worse than Jason Todd and Hawkman.

Yeah, yeah, alternate universe bad future and all that. But Mr. Terrific calling anything “dope” just feels wrong

I assume next we’re going to meet evil, cyborg Captain Carrot

So all I knew about this before I started reading it was the hilariously edgy FCBD issue.

So, if there’s a twist coming that will make this comment look dumb, so be it:

I’m glad that it’s not Darkseid for once.

Why does everybody have big beards now in this comic?

Black Adam just showed up in issue 6. Because no DC-edge fest is complete until Black Adam shows up.

Six dismembered arms in 162 pages.

Your goals coincide with each other, why would you not work with Slade? Villain or not, it’s not like Grifter is that much more of a moral high ground.

In a comic as dour and unfun as this, this is a loving breath of fresh air.

Ok this is also pretty good. But only because I just plain hate Grifter.

Is this supposed to be meta-commentary on DC’s habit of dismembering arms?

I’ll let you decide.

But for now: 7

And that was the first 200 pages of volume 1.

To recap: The major ongoing plot threads are:

A) Terry going back in time stop the bad future, but ending up with the events already set in motion
B) Mister Terrific trying to hunt down Terry
C) Frankenstein and S.H.A.D.E. investigating the Wildstorm team going missing
D) Grifter killing dozens of innocents (who are also evil monster men), and meeting up with Slade
E) Tim Drake is in hiding for some reason after faking his death

Reading this it's really hard not to notice certain trends. We're at 7 arms being cut off in 200 pages out of a 1200 page series, and multiple characters have gained rugged beards
It's weird that things that specific resulted out of four writers working on it.

The main thing about this series is that it's just so loving unfun. I could accept the gore and dumb edgyness if it at least had fun with it some more. Instead we just get a cold opening first issue that is absolute craziness, and about ten issues later we've seen pretty much nothing that gets that ridiculous again. Granted, this is, like, the first sixth of the comic, so I'm assuming it'll eventually get to that point again, but it is quite a slog to get through so far. Not helped by the fact that this has just the most bog standard DC house style art I've seen in a while. Outside of the image of Canary's face sticking out of Frankenstein's chest, the imagery in this thing is really unimaginative.

I'm excited to read more.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

I don't want to live in a world where Frankenstein appears in a comic without being dismembered :colbert:

He's part of a larger trend in this case. In this 20 page essay, I will discuss how the dismembering of arms in DC Comics represents the writers' subconscious resentment towards jocks.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The covers are about the only thing good about it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They need to put Marvel Conan on Unlimited.