Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Management posted:

are we talking peak or rms value?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Who bought this, by the way?

:rms2:

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

George posted:

this is the new rms thread, if u want a new esr thread come up with the pretext and diy

who would win in a fight, esr or rms?

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Does anyone still have that retarded picture of me with RMS? He's probably 5'9-5'10 as he was a little shorter than me.

Smelled better than you would expect

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

OldAlias posted:

who would win in a fight, esr or rms?

ESR has retard strength, he'd crush RMS

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Collins posted:

ESR has retard strength, he'd crush RMS

hey, gently caress off with the r-word

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ESR is 6'9" tall, 420 lbs and could easily crush stymie's skull with a single biceps curl

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Stymie posted:

hey, gently caress off with the r-word

sorry, I know it's "your" word. would it make you happier if I edited the post? please provide me with the correct wording that will make you happy, k thx.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Collins posted:

sorry, I know it's "your" word. would it make you happier if I edited the post? please provide me with the correct wording that will make you happy, k thx.

no just gently caress off, thanks

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Stymie posted:

no just gently caress off, thanks

hey now just because you can beat RMS in a fight doesn't mean you get to be testy

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tom Collins posted:

hey now just because you can beat RMS in a fight doesn't mean you get to be testy

i know your whole thing is being generally oblivious, but hurry up and gently caress off already

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

esr is deserving of whatever crass insults you throw at him

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Apr 14, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

really though esr has has glaring problems that you can effectively insult him without using loaded terms

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
When I was at HOPE XI, I noticed he had many fanbois, but he couldn't get his laptop to connect to the project because of free software and I can't really remember what he said, there was quite a bit of rambling.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Tom Collins posted:

Does anyone still have that retarded picture of me with RMS? He's probably 5'9-5'10 as he was a little shorter than me.

Smelled better than you would expect

he literally got freaked out about taking pictures when i saw him and only took ones with people objectively nerdier than him

thanks for ruining it for the rest of us handsome computer men

(also i took pictures as he lectured and lavished on a table so)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i still have the vista drm stickers

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
Retard M. S.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

i hosed up because i mentioned open source. here's the email
he literally does this in every conversation he has, lol that you forgot

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you know whats sad about ESR, aside from being a libertarian and afraid of the blacks, it's the way he's arrested his own programming skills by refusing to work ~at all~ for decades in the setting where programming skills are developed, ie the corporate setting. thats how he ends up thinking that upgrading int flags to C99 bools in some random project makes him a thought leader. probably couldn't get a job now if he wanted one and wouldn't accept the kind of junior level positions for which he'd be suited

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if i emailed rms i'd mention "open freedom" to throw him off

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

esr is a lying racist sack of poo poo who could barely program 30 years ago. his entire "career" has been nothing but hijacking dead projects nobody gave a poo poo about, making minor changes, then telling everyone how important he was

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sweevo posted:

esr is a lying racist sack of poo poo who could barely program 30 years ago. his entire "career" has been nothing but hijacking dead projects nobody gave a poo poo about, making minor changes, then telling everyone how important he was

I recognize jealousy when I see it.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

his main contributions are as a writer. as a nerd bullshit “historian” he got to undeservedly elevate himself among people who actually matter. right place and time, some kinda hanger on groupie who lucked out and got buzz and profit from his associations

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

There are racist sacks of poo poo who go to work in the am and write useful code

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Work is for idiots, and if you haven't escaped it you suck.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait who is ESR and why am I defending them?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Salt Fish posted:

Work is for idiots, and if you haven't escaped it you suck.

oh cool its bizarro stymie

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I recommend upgrading to an SSD as soon as possible. They vastly improve consumer desktop performance and are well worth the extra money.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Salt Fish posted:

Every time you use a Web browser, locate yourself on Google Maps, draw money from an ATM, or play on a game console, you rely on computer code I wrote and gave away.

The Internet was built by people like me. We're still out there, patiently building things and fixing bugs and putting in our time to make sure your world keeps working. We're mostly volunteers, because there is no way to wrap a business model around the most essential services. We do what we do for love, and because software is our art - and because, in the Internet-dependent 21st century, we know civilization would be lost without us just as surely as if the roads and sewers and power grid stopped working.

Though I'm a techie, I'm in a situation similar to a fine artist because the market has not figured out how to value and reward the work I feel called to do. Unlike most artists, it wouldn't be difficult for me to get a well-paid job - but then I'd have to work on what an employer wants, rather than what the world actually needs.

Emphasis added to show how the hustle works

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i think z0r made this. rip.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Hoo boy I was there in 2006 when the whole Seattle east side power grid got blown over and wasn’t restored for weeks, thank goodness for “people like esr” who selflessly volunteered to repair it from their man caves or the spiky hairs would have carried me into slavery

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Salt Fish posted:

RMS is God, creator of all things
Linus is Jesus, took His word to the masses
ESR is the Holy Ghost, supposedly important somehow but nobody can really explain why

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:thunk: How does a road “stop working”

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

I just can’t think of esr without thinking of the words ”cut a wide sexual swathe”.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
He wrote a guidebook for the Roguelike game NetHack.[3] In the 1990s, he edited and updated the Jargon File, currently in print as The New Hacker's Dictionary.[4]

How are people saying he hasn't accomplished anything??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Gazpacho posted:

:thunk: How does a road “stop working”

you try telling a road what to do

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

In 2015 Raymond accused the Ada Initiative and other women in tech groups of attempting to entrap male open source leaders and accuse them of rape, saying "Try to avoid even being alone, ever, because there is a chance that a 'women in tech' advocacy group is going to try to collect your scalp."[25][26]

Raymond is also known for claiming that “Gays experimented with unfettered promiscuity in the 1970s and got AIDS as a consequence” and that “Police who react to a random black male behaving suspiciously who might be in the critical age range as though he is an near-imminent lethal threat, are being rational, not racist.”

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

ESR is FTW

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
He's telling it like it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

quote:

Android development pulls hot chicks. Who knew?
Posted on 2011-08-05 by Eric Raymond

There I was, within earshot of the smoker’s bench outside the front entrance of the hotel hosting the World Boardgaming Championships, when I overheard the word “Android” from the three college students sitting on and around it, who I mentally tagged the Guy, the Gamer-Girl, and the Hottie. I moved a bit closer, to polite conversational distance for a stranger, and when they noticed me asked if they were talking about smartphones.

One of them (I think Gamer-Girl) said “Yes” and within about ten seconds I learned that they all had Androids and were huge fans, and had been discussing apps and fun things to do with the device. I smiled and told them I’d written some of the code in their phones.

The Hottie, a slender but pleasantly curved redhead in a tight black dress and fishnets, sat up a bit straighter and asked me what parts I’d written. I settled as usual for explaining that I wrote significant pieces of the code Android uses to throw image bits on its display. The hottie did a silent “Oooh!” and gave me dilated pupils and a flash of rather nice cleavage.

So yes, geeky guys, Android development can pull hot chicks. Well, it was either that or my rugged masculine charm; you get to choose your theory.

I had to run off to lunch, but I did learn one other interesting thing during this interlude. When I said that I was pleased that Android is attracting such loyalty from people who aren’t techies, they assured me that all their friends either have Androids or are planning to get them.

This being WBC, my sample was probably a bit above average in IQ and likely to lean towards early adoption. Still, it makes me suspect the iPhone is losing its grip on one of its core markets.

• Locked thread