Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Roosevelt posted:

i hosed up because i mentioned open source. here's the email
he literally does this in every conversation he has, lol that you forgot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
you know whats sad about ESR, aside from being a libertarian and afraid of the blacks, it's the way he's arrested his own programming skills by refusing to work ~at all~ for decades in the setting where programming skills are developed, ie the corporate setting. thats how he ends up thinking that upgrading int flags to C99 bools in some random project makes him a thought leader. probably couldn't get a job now if he wanted one and wouldn't accept the kind of junior level positions for which he'd be suited

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
if i emailed rms i'd mention "open freedom" to throw him off

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

esr is a lying racist sack of poo poo who could barely program 30 years ago. his entire "career" has been nothing but hijacking dead projects nobody gave a poo poo about, making minor changes, then telling everyone how important he was
There are racist sacks of poo poo who go to work in the am and write useful code

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Salt Fish posted:

Wait who is ESR and why am I defending them?
Every time you use a Web browser, locate yourself on Google Maps, draw money from an ATM, or play on a game console, you rely on computer code I wrote and gave away.

The Internet was built by people like me. We're still out there, patiently building things and fixing bugs and putting in our time to make sure your world keeps working. We're mostly volunteers, because there is no way to wrap a business model around the most essential services. We do what we do for love, and because software is our art - and because, in the Internet-dependent 21st century, we know civilization would be lost without us just as surely as if the roads and sewers and power grid stopped working.

Though I'm a techie, I'm in a situation similar to a fine artist because the market has not figured out how to value and reward the work I feel called to do. Unlike most artists, it wouldn't be difficult for me to get a well-paid job - but then I'd have to work on what an employer wants, rather than what the world actually needs.

Emphasis added to show how the hustle works

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Hoo boy I was there in 2006 when the whole Seattle east side power grid got blown over and wasn’t restored for weeks, thank goodness for “people like esr” who selflessly volunteered to repair it from their man caves or the spiky hairs would have carried me into slavery

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
:thunk: How does a road “stop working”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
rms embodies everything about my nerdy youth that i now despise and am glad to have grown out of

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sweevo posted:

rms thinks it's 1973 and that a computer is something you have to interact with by submitting batch jobs to run overnight
Anything else is moral treachery :rms2:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

he is a giant in certain circles
ie his waistline

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
excuse me but celebrating the birth of a baby isn't on topic here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Emacs shouldn’t normally cause injury if you use proper chording form, im guessing the parentheses did him in

• Locked thread