Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Blacknose posted:

I had a dark green squareback and it wore it well in my opinion. It'll look pretty great in grey though.

e;

drat that is sick. What's up with the headlights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Someone had frenched some mercedes lights in at some point. I liked it at the time, not so sure now.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm not about to do it for the work or the money but god drat that would look good on mine.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Left Ventricle posted:

I'll give you my 5 for now, but I expect results. You hear me? Results. That 5 can turn into a 1 at any time. ANY. TIME.

Joe Mama posted:

Well, I spend almost every bit of free time on it so I hope I meet your standards, you bastard.
If it actually matters, this car meets my standards. Peppy four pot, classic styling, modern suspension, creative parts binning. Good stuff.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm alive. Just thought I'd drop in and say what's up from The Upside Down.

Since I last updated:
-Settled on painting it BRG.
-Added lips back into the fender openings after cutting the crap out of them.
-Got the flares mounted and trimmed.
-Stripped paint from all the areas that I had to due to various factors.
-Bondo all the things.
-Patched a bunch of holes, gaps, and whatnot due to rust or otherwise.
-Lots more little crap I'm forgetting.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 3, 2019

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Take more pics and post them while you do these things.

Good call on brg paint.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm going to take some more pics, I swear. Most of what I've done recently never seemed very pic-worthy, or I was just being lazy.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
A little diversion today.

Sprayed Upol bedliner in the truck. Also in the Volkzda's seam where the body meets chassis to fill little gaps and keep water and debris out. As you can see I ran out of bedliner just as I was finishing the tailgate, by pretty much the exact amount that went on the car. Oh well, I'll get another liter of it, I'm sure there are spots that need to be touched up and I could spray some more spots on the car as well.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 17, 2019

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Prep and primer is well under way.

The makeshift paint booth.

The Lizard Skin after all the coats have been applied. I watered down the final coat a bit to get the softer texture and it seems to have been a success, especially on the roof.

Now I get to scrape and sand off all of the overspray everywhere because I didn't do enough masking.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 30, 2019

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
OMG! Paint! BRG going down!

Doors, hood, trunk, and assorted things are now green. Interior, underbody, and other assorted things are now satin black. Quality level is about where you'd expect from a first time painter with Harbor Freight supplies and a poor excuse for a paint booth, dead even with Maaco. Also, the valve cover had that garbage red paint sand blasted off and I shot it with engine primer, I'm going to paint it with the BRG here soon as well.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Joe Mama posted:

OMG! Paint! BRG going down!

Doors, hood, trunk, and assorted things are now green. Interior, underbody, and other assorted things are now satin black. Quality level is about where you'd expect from a first time painter with Harbor Freight supplies and a poor excuse for a paint booth, dead even with Maaco. Also, the valve cover had that garbage red paint sand blasted off and I shot it with engine primer, I'm going to paint it with the BRG here soon as well.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeah. Excited to see this all together, it's been a crazy ride.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:ck5:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Joe Mama posted:

The Lizard Skin after all the coats have been applied. I watered down the final coat a bit to get the softer texture and it seems to have been a success, especially on the roof.

That looks really good, I have to keep that stuff in mind. My last/current paint job turned out poo poo enough I'm going to wet sand and wrap it instead.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

I do not consent! Rape! Raaaaaappppppeeee!!!!

Just doing the "bang on it with a fist" test, the lizard skin dropped the sound a ton. We'll see about the heat though. I will probably add some adhesive heat shield patches near the exhaust.

My paint job is ok enough I guess for now. At least it's a good base for a repaint or wrap later.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

The rumors about rebuilding old VW doors are true. What a loving pain in the rear end. The Brazilian made window scrapers were absolute poo poo but I made them work.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Assembly time, baby! Woot!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

I'll allow it.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

So close I can taste it! Registration is due in January, time to take it off of non-op. Needs windows, doors, and interior installed and some air/splash shields made.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

95% complete. Started her up and everything seems to be working. Better still, the ex oil cooler holes that I had to drill, tap, and plug aren't leaking!

Still to go: some carpeting of some sort, wrap the sun toasted steering wheel, add some more weather strip to the leading edge of the doors, charge and test the AC, do the alignment, order some black license plates, and get a final tune/dyno run.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Incredible. I've been following the build since that Jalopnik article. Came out so good. Looking forward to seeing it in motion.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I can't wait either. It's almost 3.5 years in the making. I want to driiivvveee it.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

oh my.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

gently caress yeah!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Basic bitch carpet installed, mostly just to cover up the massive expanse of rough Lizard Skin. Made a wooden trunk floor panel and covered it with the same carpet. Also bought some cheap NB Miata fitted floor mats and added a couple patches of the carpet where my heels rest to reinforce it.

Got a black leather Aully Park branded steering wheel cover kit from Amazon installed as well. Looks pretty good. Cut the steering column bracket welds and welded the column up a bit. With the higher windshield I had to add 1.5" spacers under the seats and I was having to get into the car butt first "Doug Demuro getting into a back seat" style and slide my legs sideways under the steering wheel.

Some wiring had to be changed as well. For some reason I decided not to have the GM ECU control the fuel pump relay and it would set a code for it, so I added that circuit in but kept the hidden switch on the ground side as a security measure. The drat Kenwood stereo I bought keeps the antenna up in all audio modes, not just radio, so I'm going to use my defunct cruise control switch to control the antenna manually.

Got the Jass Performance stainless gauge trim kit and vent rings installed. The tach and speedo needles need to be adjusted back to the proper location now.

As soon as I get my drat tags from the DVM I can get it roadworthy and %99 finished. In the spring I'll charge the AC system, tint the windows (since I forgot to do it before I installed them like an idiot), and adjust/align the suspension again.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That looks really nice the best of both worlds.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Goddamn, dude. That’s beautiful and you did a really good job.

Edit: sell it to me!

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 23, 2019

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Thanks much! No way would I sell this any time soon! Way too much drat work.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

It runs! It drives! It... needs some more work. I forgot to clean and re-grease my poly suspension bushings and they're creaking like crazy. The exhaust where it crosses under the trans hits my driveway, I need to flatten it or reroute. Ride height needs to go up a tad too. But most of all, the tiny poly bushings in the swap kit motor mounts transmit too much vibration and noise. I'm going to see if there's a solid rubber suspension bushing I can get in there. Oh BTW, that tiny mirror is almost useless. I have it aimed down and out strictly for blindspotting.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 5, 2020

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
This came out amazing

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
this is such a fantastic project! I'm glad you get to all the troubleshooting while driving it around

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Please post videos of this thing driving.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm going to hold off on the pretty pics and vids until I'm settled with it. I want to work out the kinks and get it tuned before I drive it more than a few miles.

I'm pretty satisfied with it though. The engine noise in the cabin is much more than I thought it would be though, louder than the exhaust. No one ever claimed the 2.4 ecotec is a sexy motor but drat. Kinda sounds like I'm revving the crap out of a supercharged lawn mower

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 5, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
absolutely the most successful ai project in a long time

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Fabulous.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Still alive. Just working out some kinks yet. -Found a couple minor coolant leaks. -Had to raise the ride height another half inch or so. -I added Boom-mat under the hood and in the nooks and crannies of the cowl to try and quiet the engine noise a bit, I think it lowered the sound exactly 1db. -I am using the same depowered steering rack from the Miata and the steering effort is higher than the Miata so the alignment still needs to be played with, probably back off on the caster a bit. -I haven't weighed this car yet but it definitely gained a few pounds over the Miata, the Mintex ceramic brake pads that are on it were so-so for the Miata but they are not good enough for this tubby bitch so I'm going to get Hawks instead I think. -Added a Viofo dual dash cam with GPS that I forgot to order before, it's nice that I can use the screen to display the rear camera view because I now wish I had added a mounting nut for a passenger side mirror because I underestimated just how blind I am to the right rear, now I won't have to crank my neck past 90 degrees to check the blind spot. -Next up; cell phone mount, AC, tint, dyno tune. I'll probably have to block off part of the cowl vents as well, quite the ram-air effect going on, lots of wind noise in the cowl with a whistle above 60-65.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Hawk ceramic pads, when properly bedded in, are fantastic. Cell phone holder is a cheap one from Amazon that I took the vent mount clip off of and made a simple aluminum bracket that mounts just off the passenger side of the cubby above the radio.

And then I broke out the 7th grade Home Ec skills and stitched up a pleather cover for an elbow rest/riser I made to attach to the center console lid that helps make up for the raised seats and is comfy to boot. It's a piece of aluminum sheet shaped to the console lid with some rivnuts in it. Then I cut up a garden knee pad to become the inner cushion and glued it to the aluminum sheet. The cover is pull over and secured under the sheet with tiny flat head screws. The whole piece is then held to the lid with screws.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 17, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I finally got the AC working. Wiring was screwed up because I made some assumptions in how the control side works, ended up being much simpler than I thought. I had one leak where I had to weld the fitting on the driver's side of the condenser, nothing a little TIG action couldn't solve. Clutch is cycling nicely and the vent air hits as low as 35 degrees. Window tint and tune are all that's left, then I'll find somewhere to take some video and beauty pics and wrap this thing up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Hell yes! Stoked to see this completed in all its glory.