Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Oh, what a beautiful car. Can't wait for more pics and video. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Gadzooks! My interior has been stolen!

Taking advantage of the downtime to add more sound deadening, including floor carpet and carpet padding. Hearing fine detail from the audio was just not possible. Way overestimated what the Lizard Skin was going to do for me. I also had to add block off plates to cover 3/4 of the cowl inlet ducts to reduce air rush noise. Tint will be immediately after this. The sun is a harsh mistress in this greenhouse.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Ok. Let's see. I finished adding what seems like 30 lbs of sound deadening, carpet pad, and carpet in this thing and I'll be damned if it isn't MUCH quieter now. I also installed some tint, 20% on the rears and 35% on the doors. For track days I made some longer hood pin brackets that keep the hood open about an inch or so and I swap the brakes to Hawk Blue pads and their own rotors.

Street Mode

Track Mode

I did not want to go through the hassle of doing a factory style headliner so I just ended up gluing acoustic foam panels to the ceiling. Works very well and doesn't look too bad. Also a pic of the Jass gauge panel dress-up kit installed as well as the steering wheel cover. No pics but I also added a wide angle interior rearview mirror and attached a large spot mirror that takes up the whole useless side mirror. Getting a sense of the surroundings with the mirrors was a joke before.

Now that the east SF bay has hit 100 degrees I also discovered that the cooling system is a little deficient. In slow traffic it starts overheating. I think what I need to do is completely block the front side of the radiator off from the engine compartment and possibly upgrade the fans from whatever came on this Mishimoto fan shroud I'm using.

Also, I'm taking this bitch to Thunderhill this Sunday. Gonna put it through some paces on the full 5 mile course (aka Thunderschliefe). I should be able to get a good grasp of what I need to do with the suspension and alignment settings after this.

Lastly, I still have work to do I guess. Cooling upgrades. Bigger front brakes have been added to the list because this thing has got to be 200lbs heavier than the Miata. Still hasn't been tuned either.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 5, 2020

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Greatness.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Define "overheating". Those motors run hot to begin with, and the factory gauges on cars equipped with that engine (hell, most post-90s GMs in general) were so heavily dampened so that you couldn't see a difference between 180 or 225 (230 would make it just a hair above dead center).

Both of my Ions would report temps over OBD2 of ~230 idling in traffic on a hot hot day with the AC on. The fans didn't even kick on until 220ish without the AC, IIRC, and shut back off around 190? The gauge was always rock solid center until it got up to 230, because GM gonna be GM.

I forget what radiator you're running, but if it's the one from the Ion, they were barely adequate to begin with. That engine also runs a 195 thermostat from the factory, if you haven't changed it, but I never saw either of my cars under 200 except in the winter when reading OBD2 data, or if I had the AC on (which forces the fans on nonstop with the stock PCM and compressor setup - I forget if you kept the variable displacement compressor or went to a standard setup) - then I'd see 190ish on cooler days (below ~85 outside).

Love how it's turned out! I bet you get a lot of WTF looks from people expecting it to sound like an old ACVW :v:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 6, 2020

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That's wonderful overall.

I thought this turned out quite nice:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah I'm digging the acoustic tile headliner, I've never seen anything like that before.

Car looks great.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Holy poo poo.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

This thing turned out fantastic! Can't wait to see how it does on the track.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That headliner loving owns.

also hey another east bay goon

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Way to completely show up anybody else with an AI project. Thanks, jerk.

That headliner owns.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Thanks everybody! I am glad I can at least be actively driving it now. My will to do more work on it is just about spent. Just have to do the things I mentioned and I will just leave it alone forever (until it needs the flex plate and flywheel replaced with Ecotec Miata's custom billet flywheel. Or... I want to put cams in it. Or...)

STR posted:

Define "overheating".

I know that the stock Ion cooling fan "on" temp is like 215 or something. The computer says the temp usually likes to sit in the mid 190s. With the Miata gauge and aftermarket sender 195 is dead center, spiking up to 3/5ths when the fan needs to come on. It was hitting about 4/5ths and only coming down when I got going over 40 mph. Fans are working too. It's just eating too much hot engine air.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
did you linearize the miata gauge?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Phone posted:

did you linearize the miata gauge?

If by linearize you mean "let it get to 195 and then stick the needle back on the gauge dead center" then yes. The Ecotec swap uses a standard whatever ohm sender that works with the gauge. It does a linear sweep. Oil pressure gauge too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the stock setup is a thermoresistor in the back of the engine (next to the sender for the ECU) that goes to the gauge, but the gauge itself has a massive dead zone and operates similarly to the 7 psi oil pressure gauge. more specifically, the temp gauge moves when your water temp is well above 220F and after you could have done anything about it.

i don't know how applicable this is going to be, but figure it should be on your radar at least.

https://www.miataforumz.com/how-40/how-linear-water-temp-gauge-245/

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah I know what you're getting at. Basically it sits dead center at 185-205ish and the gauge will jump to the point where the needle moves just past the "thermometer" graphic (~3/5 to 3/4 hot) when it hits about 215 and the fan comes on. If the gauge moves past the 3/4 point I know I'm getting into trouble. It works well enough. The sender is also located at the front of the head water outlet so it can be somewhat inaccurate at times when compared to the ECT sender. I spent a good amount of time watching the ECT on a scan tool while dicking with the gauge and I think I've got it as good as it can get without the mod. I'm ok with it.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 9, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Did the fact finding mission on the 5 mile Thunderhill course on Sunday. It was a blast. People were constantly asking about it. How did it handle? Like a modded Miata with a dead elephant on top but dialing up the rear shocks helped a ton.

Lessons learned: Needs a bit more rear spring. Needs a little lower ride height. Needs wider track tires. Needs a real seat. Needs a big brake kit for front AND rear. Needs a big ol' air dam. This thing is way better on gas at the track than the Miata was with it's supercharged engine. Coolant temps stayed below 220 at all times on the track.

Besides what I've stated above and in previous replies, I'm also going to ditch the useless heavy bumpers and move the exhaust tips in and up as well as redo the under-transmission exhaust arrangement. That should allow me to lower the car a bit more and not scrape the driveway or large speedbumps. I had decided a long time ago that I wanted the bumpers because I preferred the look with them on but it also has a nice clean look (or vintage race look?) without them so I'll live with it.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
https://glass-action.com/index.php/products-mobile/Type-III-Euro-Bumpers-p70424576

Another option if you want to keep the bumpers. Top notch work man, keep the updates coming.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah, I've seen those. I think I just don't really need or want the bumpers anymore. Before I started the project I was actually considering getting fiberglass one piece front end, doors, and rear fenders from BX2 Composites. And then do lexan windows. I guess if I REALLY wanted to in the future I could do all that to slash the weight but I don't know if I want to go that far.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Sharplite Media posted pics from the 6/7/20 Thunderhill 5 mile. Here are just a couple.

https://sharplitemedia.smugmug.com/SpeedSF-Thunderhill-Raceway-5-Mile-06072020/Purple-Group-WestEast-Transition/
https://sharplitemedia.smugmug.com/SpeedSF-Thunderhill-Raceway-5-Mile-06072020/Purple-Group-EastWest-Transition/

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 12, 2020

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
I hadn’t checked in on this project all year — turned out amazing! congrats

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Finished adding radiator block-off pieces. There was an area bigger than my hand on each side that was open. Hopefully this is all it needed.

I'm working on blocking off the passenger front fender from the engine compartment because I'm getting some weird airflow and pressure issues in the HVAC, which I believe is because of the cowl drain located under the fender.

I'm also going to have to seal my vent windows shut with RTV or something. Even though they have new, properly installed seals, they leak water at a couple different spots and cause whistling and air rush noises on the highway and there's no good way to make them seal properly without totally replacing them with a fixed piece of lexan or glass.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

This car is cool as gently caress, great job!

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Well poo poo... IDK what in the hell this Lowtax poo poo means for SA (assuming it's not some bullshit prank) but I'm going to keep updating this thread and visiting the forums until I'm 100% done with this car. If you are abandoning the forums and want to see a near copy of this thread, sans swearing, go to https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/project-volkzda-a-frankencar/139051/page5

Since I'm here; I finished blocking off the passenger fender area. I had to redo all the hoses I used for the windshield washer because the loving hose had split at almost every (properly sized) fitting! New hose is a high vibration resistant type that hopefully won't split for no loving reason. The vent windows are going to get the RTV treatment, I don't use them so no tears will be shed.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Blocking off the fender and sealing the vent windows worked like a charm! No more wind rush and as a nice surprise, waaay less engine noise. I can't believe how much quieter it is now. I need to block the air filter area off from the rear half of the drivers fender now to chop down the intake noise. Maybe after that I'll be able to actually hear the exhaust. My radiator block-offs seem to have worked as well. It takes longer for the fan to come on and seems to lower the temp back down nicely.

Of course there's more poo poo to fix... Something in the drivers door is vibrating with any sort off bass from the speaker and one of the rear speakers blew its woofer already, without an amp even. So I bought a pair of Alpine 6.5" to replace the rears and wouldn't you know, the drat Pioneers that I had installed claimed to be 6.5" but are actually 6" so the new ones don't fit. Now I have to cut up my rear deck area some more to get them in. Lovely. Oh well. Bigger=better so whatever.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 11, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I suppose I should also add that, besides the stuff I already mentioned after the track day, I decided to get rid of the bumpers and nose trim piece. And redo the front section of the exhaust. And cut the rear skirt up to be even with the corners of the fenders. And move the exhaust tips in, up, and shorter. And swap in ZZP cams and get it properly tuned. You know, little stuff. Let's just say that I'm going to embrace the restomod/classic racer look as opposed to the restored look.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 11, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Holy crap it's been a while, how about an update? -Daily driving at least 4 days per week now. Still some minor bugs to squash but nothing major. I've changed my mind on any big performance mods. It's just not worth it on this car and kinda goes beyond what I built it for. All I'm going to do over the winter is some maintenance/repairs, exhaust reconfiguring, 225 tires on the existing rims, 400lb rear springs, remove the rear skirt, grab some more aggressive track pads and rotors and a cheap bucket race seat, and in the spring I'll finally get it tuned. I'll probably do a couple more thread updates and then call this project done. I'm already looking ahead to another project, most likely a dedicated track car, just don't know what.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It was a hell of a ride, thanks for sharing. I'll definitely keep reading for the finishing touches and would follow a track car build too.

You thinking track day toy or wheel to wheel?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Awesome, thank you for sharing and keep us posted when you get round to the next one.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

honda whisperer posted:

It was a hell of a ride, thanks for sharing. I'll definitely keep reading for the finishing touches and would follow a track car build too.

You thinking track day toy or wheel to wheel?

I'm thinking something small, light, and cheap-ish. I plan on doing track days or autoX spring, summer, fall every 2-4 weeks if I can. I don't know if I'd ever do wheel to wheel, maybe TT if anything. My issue with this car and the Miata it used to be is that it is my daily that I drive to the track occasionally. I'm too scared to open it up 10/10ths and expand my abilities. Not being caged and without a harness doesn't help either. Used Spec Miata with a bunch of upgrades? Used Spec Racer Ford? Factory Five 818R?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

exocet

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Oh yeah, forgot that one. I also forgot the Bauer Catfish, and holy crap, it's more expensive than the 818. Most of the kits also have the drawback of needing to be shipped across the continent which adds quite a chunk of change. A used spec racer of some sort is making the most sense to me right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Caterham/Locost 7 is a LOT of fun on track while still being street legal if you want. Spec Racers of various forms are a good option for resale and if you ever decide to go racing wheel to wheel. Spec Racer Fords are very easy to drive and have large classes all over, same for spec miata/e30/e46/etc.

One consideration is what's you're daily and/or tow vehicle? Part of the reason I went Formula Ford is with a light weight open trailer I could tow it with my daily driver if needed. Then I sold that DD and bought one that can't tow it and I'm upgrading to an enclosed trailer....

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Exocet/spec Miata would have possibly some common parts between your current build and the new one. Being able to borrow a widget off one to test on another is always nice.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Caterham/Locost 7 is a LOT of fun on track while still being street legal if you want. Spec Racers of various forms are a good option for resale and if you ever decide to go racing wheel to wheel. Spec Racer Fords are very easy to drive and have large classes all over, same for spec miata/e30/e46/etc.

One consideration is what's you're daily and/or tow vehicle? Part of the reason I went Formula Ford is with a light weight open trailer I could tow it with my daily driver if needed. Then I sold that DD and bought one that can't tow it and I'm upgrading to an enclosed trailer....

I have a GMC Sierra so no problem there. I need a trailer narrower than a normal car hauler though because I have to be able to get it through my attached 1 car garage into the back yard. I'm leaning towards spec miata or spec Ford. There's an SRF in my area for $12k because it's a gen 2. Be great to mess with and cheap to engine swap or something. If I felt like running SRF it would cost $14k to upgrade. Miata is a cheap, well known quantity though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Joe Mama posted:

I have a GMC Sierra so no problem there. I need a trailer narrower than a normal car hauler though because I have to be able to get it through my attached 1 car garage into the back yard. I'm leaning towards spec miata or spec Ford. There's an SRF in my area for $12k because it's a gen 2. Be great to mess with and cheap to engine swap or something. If I felt like running SRF it would cost $14k to upgrade. Miata is a cheap, well known quantity though.

I'm not 100% but I think there's still a pretty good amount of people running SRF2 alongside the gen 3 cars. They're slower by a bit but the gen 2s have good racing between them, my Dad rented one for a SCCA race couple months ago and had a great time. I did my competition school in a SRF2, in the rain, and it was great. Not sure what region you're in but if you're Midwest or South East you could look at renting one for a weekend, friend of ours runs SRG Autosport (https://www.facebook.com/srgautosport)

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I'm in the norcal region. I was thinking about renting to try it out. And, someone posted video of gen 2s running at Thunderhill this month so they do still run in this region for now. Even the slow ones run faster than my Miata could, that's why I was thinking I could just use it as a cheap track toy with wider wheels and tires and either an ebay turbo or a cheap engine swap.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 31, 2020

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Not dead yet! I'm in the process of making the final changes and upgrades before I call it done.

New exhaust: Much better routing for better flow. Required some air hammer "massage" in the passenger footwell area. You can't tell from inside the car but I pushed the bottom corner of the tunnel in about an inch or so over an area bigger than my hand.

Old exhaust: Two 90s and required a scallop in the pipe to clear the clutch fork. No bueno.

New butt: Higher. Tighter. Sexier. Tips won't scrape anymore. You can see the fatter tires and the result of higher rated springs in this pic too.

Old butt: Looked perfect with the bumper on but after ditching the bumpers it looked goofy as hell.

Up next: 225 wide Maxxis VR-1s and track seat install.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 15, 2021

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

:sbahj:

Still in love with the color

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Hell of a car, dude. Drive that poo poo till you die.