Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Legitimately one of my all time favourite cars man. New exhaust looking hot af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
The other main changes I've made:

Made custom brackets for my track day seat. It's a Procar Sport and it's cheap, and it's a million times more supportive than the stock seat. I just welded on an extra seat belt buckle that I had so I can use the regular 3 point belts and when the seat is in my normal position the buckle is directly under the seat hole. The belt holes on the seat side are large enough to pass the buckle through so it sits on my body and not the seat. It all works well enough for my amateur rear end.

I made a new air dam out of some ABS plastic that was left over from the wheel well splash guards I made. Looks a shitload better than the rubber wall kick guard it was before. You can also see that the chrome mustache trim is gone and I filled the holes with rubber plugs.

When I get a chance on a nice day I'll clean this dirty bitch up and take more pics and vids.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I finally got a date set in late June for some dyno tuning! Other than that everything seems to be in order and functioning well. I ended up shortening the wiper arms and going up to 15" wiper blades and now I need to pull the springs tighter because there just isn't enough force to pull the blade against the glass for a good wipe. Still drive it almost every day, just as I intended when I started.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
https://youtu.be/AyPs_rRj5Xc

Dyno time! Work was done by Jei at Blacktrax in Fremont, CA, the only guy who would tune it after 3 other HPTuners-using shops said no. Runs much better and overall driveability is much better. According to Jei it was being airflow limited to a repeatable 140hp/155tq thereabouts which is lower than it should be. It has an electrical gremlin somewhere that is allowing current to back-feed to the computer under certain circumstances and I believe that there is a mechanical issue with the exhaust cam timing as it set a code P0014 this morning. I'm going to replace the 125,000 mile cam phasers and VVT solenoids just because and see where it gets me. Projects never end...

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

The final polish always seems to suck the most. What made the other tuners bail?

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
IDK. They're all LS/LT shops that tune these ECUs all the time. It's like, "Not an LS? Won't touch it." Whereas Blacktrax was was like, "I've tuned LS, it's basically the same, minus 4 cylinders."

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

Joe Mama posted:

IDK. They're all LS/LT shops that tune these ECUs all the time. It's like, "Not an LS? Won't touch it." Whereas Blacktrax was was like, "I've tuned LS, it's basically the same, minus 4 cylinders."

This sort of thing is making me a bit nervous about my car. I have a cam to put in, which means it will definitely need to be tuned, but since it's not an LS or a Honda, it will probably be difficult to find someone willing to help me.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
The voltage back-feed issue turned out to be that I needed to add a diode in the HVAC circuits due to the way I had to add relay grounding through the AC button for the clutch and fan because they are not controlled by the computer any more. I fixed the timing issues by replacing the VVT solenoids and cam phasers. Has a bit more pep up top. I ballpark it at around 150HP/155TQ at the wheels and it can get into the 30's MPG while commuting. Not too bad for the restrictive exhaust I built. I'll take it as-is without any more tuning.

I think I'm going to call it quits on thread updates. The only thing left that I was thinking of doing was to add some detachable aero for track days. I may check in from time to time but if anyone has a question or something and would like a response or to see any future pics and such Instagram is probably the easiest @pauln321654.

Here's a quick walkaround video I put together. Thank you all for your interest! It's been a blast but it's time to move on to the next project, whatever the hell that will be...

https://youtu.be/KrU7LaqfONw

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

It was a good build. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

honda whisperer posted:

It was a good build. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Amen

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
No problem. I'm not exactly a documentary film maker or anything but people were generally interested so I figured what the hell. I briefly considered doing a semi-legit youtuber type video upon wrapping this up but I don't have the skills or the will to do it.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
I wasn't planning on resurrecting this dead thread but I just had to put this out there. I met Randy Pobst at Thunderhill and he posted an IG story geeking out on the Volkzda!

https://instagram.com/stories/randypobst/2917710804041082243?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Joe Mama posted:

I wasn't planning on resurrecting this dead thread but I just had to put this out there. I met Randy Pobst at Thunderhill and he posted an IG story geeking out on the Volkzda!

https://instagram.com/stories/randypobst/2917710804041082243?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

That is loving awesome.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Joe Mama posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

That is loving awesome.
/\/\/\ What he said

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Joe Mama posted:

Ah, balls, it's already gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Yeah I wish he had done it as a reel or a YT short or something.