Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Comrayn posted:

make all non contact sports full contact

playing ultimate frisbee with a bunch of wimps who called their own fouls at the slightest touch, and then using my football/rugby/wrestling background to catch a frisbee and then smash straight through them as i slowed down was fun as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tunicate posted:

a kid on my school's team broke his arm so

darn. A broken arm? Looks like we need to ban kids from going outside.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am trying to picture how one could break their arm rowing and can't. like i'd love to hear the sequence of events that could lead to one doing this in either a sweeper or a sculling boat because it must have been an impressive series of failures.

I'd guess collision or a rogue oar. A unexpectedly dragging oar can hit with a lot of force if you're cruising.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

If there is anything that we've learned from sports is that constant bashing of the head and spine leads to fantastic physical and mental health.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Replace all sports with chessboxing.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Abolish schooling but continue to force children to go to the buildings, post guards around the perimeters and allow the creme children to rise to the top in a centrifuge of chaos that they build for themselves.

If they can organize competitive sports under these conditions, I say God Bless Them.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
School sport good, America bad.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Replace all sports with chessboxing.

My friend is making a documentary about chessboxing, incidentally.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Mystery of Chessboxing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xand_Man posted:

I'd guess collision or a rogue oar. A unexpectedly dragging oar can hit with a lot of force if you're cruising.

i've lost my oar in practice a few times during really intense mock-race sessions at like 36 strokes per minute and still can't see how it could break your arm. maybe dislocate a shoulder, but really the most likely injury to happen when you lose control of your oar is not ducking in time and taking an oar handle to the face. even then only one person on the team had this happen and he just had a sore jaw for a few days.

i could see it resulting from a collision though. if that was the case i hope the coxswain responsible for the collision was relieved of their duty for a good long while lol.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
high school sports are largely feeders into the NCAA, a brutally exploitative cruelty that pays coaches millions while paying players nothing in exchange for fake college classes, and should absolutely be abolished.

sports are for fun. I support that. but the hyper competition of “going pro” has done far more damage than people care to admit.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It sounds like your beef is with college sports, which a tiny fraction of a percent of high school athletes will ever even sniff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

high school sports are largely feeders into the NCAA, a brutally exploitative cruelty that pays coaches millions while paying players nothing in exchange for fake college classes, and should absolutely be abolished.

sports are for fun. I support that. but the hyper competition of “going pro” has done far more damage than people care to admit.

i disagree.

so many more people play sports with no intention of playing in the NCAA than will ever play in the NCAA.

"school sports" includes millions upon millions of people, 99.99%+ of which have no intention of ever "going pro"

even the vast majority of NCAA students have absolutely not intention of "going pro"

i agree that there is exploitation in the NCAA, but i would argue that for 99% of NCAA athletes "going pro" is not their intention. in addition, sports scholarships are a really good thing because it allows people to go to college debt free. like, for all the D1 feeder schools, there are many, many more D1, D2, and D3 schools, or even schools with just club teams, that are absolutely not pro-prep feeder schools.

• Locked thread