Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

most school sports are exploitative and bad but can we keep competitive rowing, that one is pretty cool and doesn't pose major injury risks and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tunicate posted:

a kid on my school's team broke his arm so

i am trying to picture how one could break their arm rowing and can't. like i'd love to hear the sequence of events that could lead to one doing this in either a sweeper or a sculling boat because it must have been an impressive series of failures.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Xand_Man posted:

I'd guess collision or a rogue oar. A unexpectedly dragging oar can hit with a lot of force if you're cruising.

i've lost my oar in practice a few times during really intense mock-race sessions at like 36 strokes per minute and still can't see how it could break your arm. maybe dislocate a shoulder, but really the most likely injury to happen when you lose control of your oar is not ducking in time and taking an oar handle to the face. even then only one person on the team had this happen and he just had a sore jaw for a few days.

i could see it resulting from a collision though. if that was the case i hope the coxswain responsible for the collision was relieved of their duty for a good long while lol.

• Locked thread