Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Beach Bum posted:

$2000 was a wild-rear end-guess and it covers the whole lot, not just the box. i5 3570K, 1070Ti, 16gB ram, a few drives, couple 1080p IPS monitors, HD558 cans, and a 5.1 system I bought off craigslist a decade ago for $100. That's about it.

You need better than wild rear end guesses because there is no way that box + the accessories mentioned should have cost anywhere near $2,000 unless that cost has been collecting credit card interest for many years now.

YNAB or similar will definitely help you here so it is good that you're starting to keep better track of what you spend. Doing that will be helpful in general so you know where your money is going and can then start to set realistic goals to ratchet down your expenses. Being able to live well below your means will help later in life too when you're on a fixed income.

At $37k/year now, you probably can find a job that pays comparable with a lot better future prospects without trying too hard. I would definitely put that towards the top of your to-do list. Track your money, pay down the credit card debt, expand the emergency savings, and put out your resume to every employer you can think of that isn't in the newspaper industry (also avoid other dying industries).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

SiGmA_X posted:

You sure? $500 video card, $1-200 in RAM (beats me on specs), $3-400 in processor, a couple hundred in mobo... Drives can add up quick, too.

Can vary a lot, but that processor had a MSRP of around $200 in 2012. In 2015 I built an i7 4790k system from scratch, with 10 series card, 1080p monitor, big ssd, etc for around $1,000.

My antennas raised less on the total price, but the idea that price was paid anytime recently. If it was all bought brand spanking new (6ish years ago) at full retail costs with all accessories, you could get it to $2,000 but then that would imply that we're talking about a purchase from years ago. That is more concerning to me because it shows the lack of being able to even reliably track where money is being spent.

• Locked thread