Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

International shipping is still an absolute mess, which is why the new rad hoses showed up January 8, 2021.

New oil cap is fitted. Battery is pulled. I am on the fence about putting it back in it's OEM location.

Battery box and coolant tank along with it's hoses are removed. So far zero issues. Nothing fighting me and I did not break anything on the coolant tank, which is a known weak point on the car to the point that they fail and grenade engines.

Oh right, have to drain the cooling system. Luckily there is a drain plug.

There's even an access hole in the undertray. Didn't strip the plug and didn't get coolant everywhere.

This is where things started getting more annoying. In order to remove the thermostat housing, you have to remove the alternator bracket. In order to get to the two lower alternator bracket nuts, you have to remove the water pump pulley. This took way longer than it should have.

This is picture proof why V-mount radiators can be problematic. There is zero access to the lower radiator hose from above. Steering rack, sway bar and crossmember is in the way.
From below, the subframe blocks direct access. Long pliers snaked between the subframe and engine from underneath the car facing forward eventually did the trick and the lower rad hose clamp was loosened enough to remove the hose without breaking anything.

With all hoses removed / disconnected from the thermostat housing, out it comes. The oil metering pump hoses are not nearly as brittle as I expected them to be and have survived the surgery up to this point.

The factory housing leaves something to be desired regarding flow. You can also see the crossover passage between the inlet and outlet which always allows coolant to bypass the radiator.

This is no longer the case with the new housing. The bypass passage is plugged, so coolant always has to go through the radiator. All other passage inlet and outlets have also been cleaned up.

This is a new one for me, the thermostat itself has it's gasket integrated. No additional gasket of any kind needed. Bypass wiggly bit has been lined up with the relief cast in. Everything is ready to go back together.

Except I forgot to order a new housing to engine block gasket....

It will be here tomorrow from the Mazda Vancouver warehouse. $8.61 all in.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

McTinkerson posted:

Battery is pulled. I am on the fence about putting it back in it's OEM location.

Oh no, your perfect weight distribution! :v:

Crazy how much room there is in front of the crossmember.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

Oh no, your perfect weight distribution! :v:

Crazy how much room there is in front of the crossmember.
Yeah, it let's you do fun things like this:

Run a huuuuge intercooler in place of the factory battery and airbox location.

At this point, I don't care about the weight distribution. I care about the 80% airflow blockage of the passenger radiator fan. More on the battery location at a later date.

Everything on the cooling system is now back together.

I am not impressed with Mishimoto at all. All product images make it look like the upper rad hose is now a single piece that replaced the factory two piece. That is not the case. I should have ordered the 6 piece set from Australia instead. Oh well. I will do that when a REW gets swapped in.
The lower rad hose clamp also took just as long to get aligned and tightened up as every other piece of re-assembly.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

:mediocre:

The 3 year old Costco battery will no longer hold a charge. My "intelligent" battery charger is usually pretty good with being able to bring dead lead acids back to life. Not this time though. Luckily even with Costco's revised battery return policy, they offer 100% refund until 36 months. Squeaked that return in right before the 80% kicked in.

It's like the car wants a battery relocation...

:science: Enter the new generation of LiFePo4 batteries. Will it burn the car down? Let's find out.
https://www.ablithium.ca/products#!/12V-8ah-430-CCA-LiFePo4-starter-battery/p/285469327/category=0
Yes, that is a properly professional website. Yes the "company" is just one dude who does this as a side business. Why yes, I do like to live dangerously and this will in no way bite me in the rear end and provide AI with an I told you so moment.

One of two things will happen, everything will be fine or AI get's another battery autopsy like Kasteins Braille teardown.

Wrar pointed me in the right direction for a battery box that should work:
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Battery-Box-for-Braille-and-Odyssey,42956.html
It's still a little large and I will have to shim the battery. If I can't find something smaller locally that is.

So now to get the cardboard out and make a template for some sheet aluminum to fit the shape of the factory washer tank. That will then let me bolt the battery and smaller washer tank to it.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I would like to dedicate this post as a gently caress you to the current weather. It has been below -25C for over two weeks now and it is simply to cold for me to complete any work in my garage. My 1500W heater and full garage wall and door insulation cannot keep up.

I found a trailer battery box that I can make work for $20. All hurdles are eliminated, expect for my lack of sufficient heat.

Once it warms up (whenever that will be), more progress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I would like to dedicate this post as a gently caress you to the current weather. It has been below -25C for over two weeks now and it is simply to cold for me to complete any work in my garage. My 1500W heater and full garage wall and door insulation cannot keep up.

I found a trailer battery box that I can make work for $20. All hurdles are eliminated, expect for my lack of sufficient heat.

Once it warms up (whenever that will be), more progress.

Day 7 Is +1*c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkDvqQKGgDA

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Progress! Sort of.

The good news: The battery starts the car faster than it ever has.

The bad news: I thought that I found a trailer battery box that would work but the dimensions listed were for the exterior, not the interior. So the battery is 2mm to large in the X and Y axes. This means that I am now once again waiting for parts to arrive. ( https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Battery-Box-for-Braille-and-Odyssey,42956.html )

It also turns out that the cheapest way to get something that won't flex to much and is at least 30cm x 50cm is not sheet aluminum or metal of any kind. It's polycarbonate. A sheet of polycarbonate cost me under $20 from my local supplier, where as a sheet of aluminum with a bead rolled into it would have cost me double that. I guess the adapter plate for my battery box and washer tank is transparent now :shrug:

Once the battery box arrives it time to play around and figure out the best orientation and location order of the battery, washer tank and catch can.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Its alive!
https://hogoshatofu.ca/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/PXL_20210320_221412764.mp4

I am not super proud of the battery relocation and will be re-doing certain aspects of it over the coming winter but it'll do.
I do need to get some rubber "caps" for the battery terminals asap.

With international shipping being what it is at the moment, something showed up at my door that I forgot I ordered (back in August 2020).

Full set of Auto-Exe lower braces. These used to be available from Mazdatrix for $800USD. I paid 1/10th that in CAD, I just had to wait 9 months. These not arriving was the reason for delaying the dry ice vapor blasting and HoneySeal coating of the underside.

You can kind of see what they are replacing. The factory 3 braces are stamped steel and 2/3 of them are already bent.

The rear half of the kit was what I was most interested in as it ties the chassis to the lower control arm subframe pickups.

The front is less effective(maybe?) and noticeable but is stronger than the stock brace and also ties in to the chassis at an additional two points further back, so who knows?

A belated birthday present from Australia also showed up.

There is soooooo much MCM swag, it is absolutely ridiculous.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Drove it to work today. It's weird being the only one in the building.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This is an appropriate summary of how things are going at work at the moment.

The default Alberta blizzard has officially killed the factory fabric aero undertray.

I'm impressed it lasted this long. This is after melting for 48 hours as well.

On to the tire saga of 2021. I have been trying to find 255/45/17 all seasons since last fall. Closest equivalent to the factory tire size (225/45/18). There are two problems, it is a very uncommon size and Covid has affected supply in Canada pretty heavily. There were no 245/45/17's in the province either. Every single local shop and provincial distributor was waiting for their 2021 shipment. Costco had two left from last years stock in their Ontario warehouse. Luckily (?) there was a local pair of drift spares on Kijiji as well.

Those were available right away and since I have zero patience:

Two weeks later, Costco finally got the remaining pair.

drat near perfect fitment. 245/45 on a 17x9 +38.
Initial verdict on BFG Comp 2 A/S Plus, not bad. Good feedback and very progressive break away. A little noisy and at low speed they sound super "sticky". Treadwear (400) and traction (A) are a little higher than I would have liked but beggars can't be choosers this year.

While waiting for a new windshield to be installed on the Macan, I took a walk around the area and the owner of https://www.daytonaautomotive.com/ has a great sense of humour, that's for sure. At first I thought I entered the twilight zone.

Rotary support vehicle update, it still can do truck things despite the axle flip.

One cubic yard of limestone.

Edit: Yes the stone was dropped into the bed by a front end loader and no, the fact that the bed is aluminum did not mean that it was damaged in any way. In short, all of those commercials were 100% BS.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 18, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I always think the RX8 looks dated, but yours doesn't. Maybe the only ones I see locally are ruined.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

I always think the RX8 looks dated, but yours doesn't. Maybe the only ones I see locally are ruined.

They're certainly not timeless and it is pretty easy to place them in the correct era but when kept in decent condition, they do hold up well enough. Thanks!

It does not help that you can pick up series 1 RX-8's for under 1500 (in whatever your local currency is) all day long. I will defend the position that they are the greatest value in competent manual RWD chassis ever.
There are a LOT of ratty ones around though.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Still $9k dollarydoos here sadly

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I have been slacking in keeping this thread updated. Let's try and fix that.
The MCM swag has been applied where possible.

The Macan has been chopped.

The RX-8 has been chopped.

The truck has as well.

Why on earth is there so much dust on the RX-8? Well, fate decided to poo poo on the down comforter again. One of the coolant hoses which was not replaced, decided to spring a leak under pressure. Which means it's been parked for over a month now. gently caress you Mishimoto for having the shittiest hose kit. A full hose kit is in the mail, alas, the usual supply chain and shipping issues are once again delaying everything. Serves me right, I suppose. Driving the car once it's up to temp results in continuous steam and an empty coolant reservoir alarm within 10 minutes.

Oh yeah, we got the usual May blizzard. So it couldn't drive it for a week anyways.

Work apart from destroying what little sanity I have left and leaving me mentally drained every day (so I can't bring myself to even do anything that usually brings me joy) now also has me acting as a hot shot service. I'm the only one in the company who has a truck who can get in to the parkade at one of our server room locations. Height clearance into the underground parking is 5'11".

Additionally, Ford sent me two letters a couple weeks ago. Both for recalls. One for the block heater that is now finally able to be replaced as parts are available. Second for a new brake master cylinder. I guess the one it came with can leak internally into the brake booster resulting in loss of all brakes on the front circuit. With both of those completed, Ford did their usual checks. With 140,000km on it, my brake pads are at 4mm outer / 3mm inner for the front and 5mm/5mm for the rear axle. The dealership I have been using primarily due to the service writer I deal with being a cool dude and honest (how is that possible?!) says I have doubled the provincial average for pad wear. Further proof that I drive like a grandpa as per the wife. So not only are new coolant hoses in the mail for the RX-8, there are now also brake pads on order for the Lobo. Rotors have no visible cracks and plenty of thickness left so I'll be getting them turned instead of replacing them.

Finally, with the RX-8 out of commission, I let the new LifePo4 battery go flat. Twice. Radio parasitic draw. Both times, my RC LiPo charger was able to bring it back right away and the batteries built in BMS circuit did its thing. At this point, I am willing to call the battery experiment a success. That also means there is unlikely going to be an autopsy on it any time soon.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

The RX-8 is once again fully operational.
The new coolant hose kit arrived in one piece. Quality is decent.

The problem child. This tear/hole/rip was the culprit.

Out with the old and in with the new.

I had to trim the hose on both ends but the bends were roughly in the correct position.

Coolant temps stay rock solid at 90C and the level no longer drops once the system pressurizes. Problem fixed.

Hopefully that's it for cooling system failures for now but if another hose does fail, I have a full set of spares on hand.

I totally forgot that I also messed with the tune on the ECU while it was out of commission. Now if I load up the engine in any gear above 7000rpm and lift (either to shift or just be juvenile) it shoots one really really big fireball with a deafening "fwap" and my mirrors turn orange. Even in broad daylight.

I've started keeping an eye out for turbos since I'm just going to slap a snail on the renesis. The side exhaust ports flow enough for 400hp which is all the transmission can take anyways. Even the upgraded in house Mazda series 2 version. I think one of these will find its way under the Xmas tree this year: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264976447386

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's new shoes day for the rotary support vehicle. I started keeping an eye out for all weather all terrain sales and Yokohama's finest went on sale.

I also used this opportunity to correct a vain aesthetic issue. The wheel arches are designed for a 32" tire diameter. Anything smaller and the radius mismatch just looks slightly off.
The 4x4 trucks ship with 32" diameter tires. The RWD trucks ship with 30.5" tires.

Wheel gap with stock RWD 30.5's:

Wheel gap with the factory Ford intended 32's:

Last step is reprogramming the BCM/PCM for the new diameter:

And we're all done. For today. This weekend it's time for some arts & crafts. There's raised white lettering to add. Red as well I suppose, since the Y should be red as per the manufacturers logo.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

As promised: Arts & Crafts. Specifically. Paint.

This is a single coat with the oil based (xylene free) paint pens. They take forever to dry, so coat #2 will have to go on tomorrow.

White letters out is the only option.

I was trying to blend the Yokohama logo in to the sidewall paint, but the red doesn't "pop" quite enough...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm not sure what you mean by feathering it into the logo but they look great as is.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

He means adding the red "Y" element to just the text on the tire, since it doesn't actually have the symbol.

Maybe try painting the Y white, first, then red?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Lets community showcase this thread for a while

Brittle Beard
Dec 10, 2012
Love the looks of the RX-8

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Just chiming in to say I enjoy this thread very much, I love the truck (and I'm not even a truck person) and can't wait to see what happens when you throw a turbo on the Renesis!

All trucks should be lowered imo.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Brittle Beard posted:

Love the looks of the RX-8

Yeah, they certainly grow on you.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Maybe try painting the Y white, first, then red?

Great minds. My wife also suggested this. I will give it a shot in the next couple days.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I missed a maintenance update on the truck. I finally wore the front brake pads down to 3mm after 143k km.
Of course it started to rain once I completed the drivers side. So progress pictures are minimal.

While the pads were due, the rotors themselves had no groves I could feel with my finger nails so I said screw it due to the rust. The rotors were going to put up a fight and I didn't have the patience for it.

New pads thrown into the calipers. Prior to seating the hydraulics. Rotors were hit with 200 grit for a scuff/clean up.

Yeah, they were due. Caliper pins were a little sticky, so they were cleaned and re-greased as well.

New rear pads are sitting on the bench waiting to go in. They still have 5mm left so I have a little time left.
The new pads are Powerstop Z36's. So OEM+?

I've also been brain storming ideas on side stripes. 80's/90's colour schemes of teals, purples and pinks.

Top of the list right now is this:

Except,
Black -> Satin Purple
Blue -> Gloss Metallic Teal
Top empty area -> Fluorescent Pink

Lastly, there was a Memorial Day sale at Boomba Racing and I caved and bought something stupid and pointless.
https://www.boombaracing.com/ford-ecoboost-v6-blow-off-valve-adapter-bova-v1/
I messed up installing it due to the lack of correct allen keys so there's now a tiny boost leak right between the intercooler and BOV spacer.
This also means I now have an excuse to buy more tools. So 3/8 socket allen keys were purchased. I just need to crawl back underneath and tighten everything up properly.

However...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZSP6f5DUmw

It is very very loud and amazing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Truck, but close enough. Much love for loud BOVs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

I've also been brain storming ideas on side stripes. 80's/90's colour schemes of teals, purples and pinks.

Top of the list right now is this:

Except,
Black -> Satin Purple
Blue -> Gloss Metallic Teal
Top empty area -> Fluorescent Pink

I'm out of practice and fighting gimp but i gave it a shot.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 13, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

I'm out of practice and fighting gimp but i gave it a shot.

You're a god drat wizard Powershift. That looks better than I could have ever imagined. That seals it. Sending an email to my local vinyl shop for a quote. Thank you!

In light of the monthly showcase, I have been saving something special.

Factory Mazda Japan rotary start button. :ssh: It's location is stolen from Porsches. :ssh: LeMans start
I have only ever seen one of these come up for sale in Japan in the past 5 years and it sold for over $2k...
This was a complete local fluke find almost ten years ago and I finally have gotten everything else more pressing with the car completed.

Fully plug and play. With the help of Mitsubishi?

Google translate does seem to do a good enough job translating the instructions. It doesn't seem to daunting. Yet.

The next, again totally pointless, addition is the result of an insomnia fueled Buyee.jp browsing session.

$5 + shipping for a Factory Mazda MiniDisc player. Yes, Mazda Japan offered a factory MiniDisc player on the RX-8's. Luckily for me, I already have all Initial D soundtracks on MD. Because of course the rotary nerd was also into MiniDiscs growing up.

Mazda is the best. The instructions are printed on the unit. Which is completely modular, so all I have to do is fit just the MD player to the factory North America radio assembly.

This took no time at all and everything is now ready for the next step. Tearing almost the entire dash apart to install everything.

I also hit a small milestone. 120k km. Most recent tank of fuel also netted me an average 12.7L/100km despite the conservative tune in regards to power (lambda & timing) in order to keep the O2 sensor probe temperature below 900C. Mazda Motorsports recommends not exceeding EGT's of 900C/1650F in order to preserve the life of the rotor side seal springs. Considering that the Pro Formula Mazda sealed Renesis engines last a full season living above 6000rpm pretty much every race, I am inclined to trust them.
I still left the full rice crispy mode enabled above 4000rpm and have been absolutely beating on it, shooting fire and redlining it constantly. So all in, 12.7 is a pretty good number all things considered.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That is so awesome. I am very dangerous when it is late night and the kids are asleep and I have just sold a car...hello Buyee shopping spree.

How hard is it to get a vinyl shop to make good graphics? I have some Delicas coming in and I would like to reproduce or pay an homage to late 80's/early 90's factory graphics but they are long NLA.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

everdave posted:

How hard is it to get a vinyl shop to make good graphics? I have some Delicas coming in and I would like to reproduce or pay an homage to late 80's/early 90's factory graphics but they are long NLA.

Anything you come up with as a vector can be printed on white vinyl. That's how the side stripes on our Macan were done.

I'm going to try and see if my local shop is willing to layer solid vinyl for the stripes instead. The "printed" vinyl does have a texture to it.

It turns out that Mazda still attracts spiders...

I don't drive the RX-8 for a week and there's already webs.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Guess who's procrastinating on tearing apart the RX-8 interior?

With winter looming and a few longer haul dual axle horse trailer tows coming up, it was time for traction bars. That are also swaybars and load levelling springs.
https://activesuspension.com/pages/ras

No assembly required which is nice.

Installation was incredibly easy. Just needed to jack up the rear to unload the leaf springs. Due to the axle flip, extension brackets were required. The stock bracket arms aren't quite long enough.

Each side took maybe 20 minutes to install.

Clearance is a little tight but should be fine.

Passenger side installation was identical to the drivers side.

While I had the back end in the air, speed bleeders went in and the second half of the brake system bled.

Back end now sits 12mm higher than before which brings the total rake to 20mm.

The traction bar and swaybar component of the Roadmaster Active Suspension has been thoroughly tested. I should have really installed these sooner. There is ZERO axle wrap anymore no matter how hard I launch it. Which means all that it does from a stop now is burnouts :getin:
Until the TCS kicks in above 45km/h wheel speed. Which can not be disabled. Thanks Ford. (Pulling the ABS fuse does disable everything and doesn't upset the vehicle to much.)
Burnout video incoming.

Mike Kojima of Moto IQ (and Formula D) fame now makes some interesting new products. Let's see if it's any good.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Probably not close enough to falling in to the archives but better safe than sorry.

First, off come the front mud guards on the RX-8.

... great.
For some bizarre reason, it also doesn't have matching rear guards. Canadian GT models should have some with them from the factory, so I have no idea what happened to them. We've owned it since 2009 and it never had them.
New ones are $75 paint matched from Mazdatrix.

I think with this level of paint damage and rust to the rockers, it might be time for full POR15 and bed liner. The body line of the rocker panel is very sharp and should allow the rough texture to basically stay hidden since the rockers curve sharply away and under the car.

The Sevenstock 2010 decals are also starting to show some environmental wear.

But who cares about cosmetics since I also just placed an order on a Holset HE500VE turbo.
The VGT functionality is what I'm really interested in as EMAP and the resulting heat stress will destroy a side exhaust port rotary almost immediately. The Holset VGT units can vary their AR quickly and by A LOT.
Based on everything I can find as far as documentation goes, a Link Fury X should be able to control the turbo well enough. It is all analog 12V signals.

As far as packaging goes, the HE500 series is uh, large. 16 cubic inches large. :heysexy:

So the usual turbo placement won't really work.
Which means top mount.
Kind of like this.

I'm still procrastinating on tearing the dashboard apart and installing that minidisc player as well.

Edit: Further expanding on the whole VGT and rotary engine combo, it only works on the renesis engines. They're the only ones with EGTs low enough not to melt the turbine vanes. Mazda Motorsports guidance on tuning the 13B-MSP engines is to not exceed 900C EGT for side seal life.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 1, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

As usual, I have been procrastinating again. So the mini disc head unit is still sitting on the workbench.
Instead of tearing the dash apart, I built some Lego*.

The Block Zone out of the UK had a black Friday sale. For 50% off, I couldn't say no to Chinese Lego Technic.

I also bought some Mazda Racing Japan swag that rotary13B1 had on sale for black Friday as well.

I couldn't say no to 30th anniversary LeMans swag.

Not pictured, the factory fender strakes in aluminum which I finally ordered. Which are awaiting a coat of metalcast gold to match the wheels and overall theme.

Now to wait for boxing day sales so I can order a new clutch for the RX-8. I think I've settled on the ACT HD (ZM8-HDSS). 330ft/lb of tq capacity and still fully streetable.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for keeping the thread going! Working on/racing/tracking an RX-8 is S tier vicarious living for me.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I couldn’t find, are you running any kind of different bump stops for towing with the flip kit?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

I couldn’t find, are you running any kind of different bump stops for towing with the flip kit?

I did not have any good pictures of the new "bump stops" that the axle flip kit came with, so you're totally right.
You can kind of see them here:

The little red things. Between those and the roadmaster active suspension traction bars things "safe"-ish on full compression. I didn't take pictures but with a fully loaded twin axle horse trailer hooked up totaling about 3600kgs, I have 10cm of clearance between the axle tube and bump stops.

Edit: While 10cm of up travel may not seem like much, prior to the axle flip and RAS towing the same loaded trailer the clearance was 12cm from tube to stock bump stop.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 16, 2021

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

New years update!

No pictures & no progress. But I did spend some money over the (albeit short) holidays. There is now a new clutch on the way, rear mud guards to match the fronts and a new exhaust manifold gasket.

Why a new manifold gasket? Because I'm going to try and 3D print a turbo manifold to use as a guide before I make one out of steel. Well, I'll do all the cutting but someone else will do the welding.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1831000
Print a bunch of these (not necessarily in 50mm diameter) and play around to see how to best package everything. I know the oil metering pump will go, which buys me enough room for the "up pipe" / turbo feed but there are still a bunch of questions regarding exact location of the turbo itself, the thermostat housing and the associated coolant pipes and the downpipe.
There are two flange options I know of once I have everything mocked up.
https://eliterotaryshop.com/shop/ols/products/elite-304-ss-rx8-header-flange The fancy stainless one from Elite out of the US.
https://racecast.com.au/product/rx8-exhaust-flange/ The less fancy but equally useful one from Racecast Australia.

Then there's the turbo. If compressor racing UK doesn't have a Holset HE561VE in stock by the end of February, I'm just going to order a reman unit from one of the US diesel turbo rebuild shops on eBay. They seem to run around $1200CAD without the actuator, which I don't need until I get an ECU anyways.

Things are slowly warming up and it's finally no longer -8C in my garage so I can start tackling the rather large backlog of work on the 8 before the real fun begins.

Edit: Here's a fun video on physical size and characteristics of these Holset turbos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfM7CbqdqsY

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 10, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's finally warm enough that I can work in the garage without any plastics being frozen and brittle, so it's finally time to disassemble the centre console and install the mad tyte JDM factory Mazda MiniDisc unit.

Under an hour start to finish. Although, 15 minutes was just fighting with that one 10mm bolt on drivers side of the head unit that you have to get to from under the drivers side dashboard /steering column. The Bluetooth unit isn't powered yet since I am waiting for a fuse tap to arrive. There's a spare 2A? fuse in the cabin fuse box. So no splices or cut wires.
MiniDisc head unit works though! I dug out all my old MDs I haven't touched since 2003. Younger me had good taste. It's all Rammstein, Dio, The Offspring and Blink 182.
Now all I need to do is spin up a Windows 7 VM for the NetMD drivers and software so I can get that Initial D Non-Stop Megamix transferred. I'm using a Sony MZ-N505 Type R in case anyone was curious.

Oh. Well I guess there's another thing to add to the list to replace. At least there's enough aftermarket options.

What's in the box?

Now to bribe the AB AI goons for help in installing this next month.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Love the MD install so awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Neat that the factory stereo is modular. So unlike most modern electronics.