Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Darchangel posted:

Neat that the factory stereo is modular. So unlike most modern electronics.

Yeah, I still can't believe that Mazda did this. I mean, I'm glad they did.

Also,

It's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Yeah, I still can't believe that Mazda did this. I mean, I'm glad they did.

Also,

It's me.

I’m the spicy Dorito noises.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m the faint oil smoke coming from the exhaust at idle.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

I’m the faint oil smoke coming from the exhaust at idle.

I mean, rotary.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm the DSG LOL plate on the VW.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Minor updates on both vehicles.

First the rotary support vehicle. It rolled 150k km and was due for another oil change. What do an EcoBoost V6 and a rotary have in common? Equally horrendous cold start fuel enrichment in the winter to the point where the oil gets fuel dilution within 4000km.

While I was replacing the oil filter I noticed something interesting.

Zoom, enhance.

Whoopsie. Almost blew the intercooler cold pipe clean off. That was a close one. As best as I can tell / guess, the blow off valve spacer changed the geometry of the cold side piping enough that the silicone coupler is now just a little bit to short. Or I didn't tighten that clamp enough. Or both. Either way, everything is back to the way it should be and both coupler clamps have been fastened as much as the piping will allow. Fingers crossed and I will check back in 500km.

In addition, with the rear traction bars and helper springs, the rake is back as mentioned and while I still do not need mudflaps as per provincial regs, there was a sale and I couldn't say no to a splash of colour.

It's just to drat cold to install them again.

Which means the focus is back on the RX-8.

What's in the box?

That's not helpful.

First gear. Ah! Ah! Ah!
Second gear. Ah! Ah! Ah!

And when the turbo goes in, the jokes on how many gears are dead can begin.

Speaking of which, some employer resources were borrowed.

The plan is to create a 3D model of the manifold and print it to figure out placement and mockup of the actual exhaust manifold before a single pipe is cut. Much cheaper to do it in PLA first. More fun too.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Trying to keep the momentum going.

Out with the old.

All shift knobs from this company use the same rather large thread, so adapters are needed for most.

That's better. Ah! Ah! Ah!

I broke out the cheap calipers and measured all relevant points of the manifold gasket.

Which allows me to get the scale and size right on the CAD trace. I don't need crazy accuracy. 0.1mm is just fine.

One of the side benefits of this is that I can actually get valid surface area data of the exhaust ports. All Mazda claims is that the 13B-MSP exhaust flows more volume than any previous 13B. Now I can actually figure out by how much.

Huge disclaimer: This is stock vs stock. A fully ported 13B-REW or older (ie. peripheral exhaust port) can and will flow more. The renesis runs into an exhaust flow ceiling around the 300kW mark. Primarily due to sharp 90 in the plates, port timing limitations and the physical impossibility of any overlap (there's an extra rotor seal solely dedicated to eliminating intake/exhaust overlap).

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
That knob is hilarious and I love it. I need to get something stupid for my 6. Maybe I can find an adapter for one of these t-handles I have.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

After almost a month in transit, it has finally arrived.

All ~33kg of it.

Beer can for scale.

It's a rather large piece of equipment. Well, relatively speaking. It appears proportionally small when bolted to a Cummins ISX 14L I6 Diesel.

There will be a lot of rearranging required to make this fit.

Oh, right. This is a remanufactured Holset HE561VE.

Now where's my Viking helmet so I can recreate my accounts avatar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You might need to add some engine to your turbo.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Get out of here turbo, you're drunk!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

You might need to add some engine to your turbo.

That's the beauty of the variable geometry turbine, I can electronically pinch the turbine side down to spool off the exhaust flow of a 1300cc Renesis.
All while also ensuring that I don't increase the exhaust manifold pressure and exhaust gas temperatures to dangerous levels.

The nested PID loops for controlling this turbo will be somewhat complex.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Two words: Hood Mounted.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

That's what I'm thinking. Love it when the turbo is as big as the 13B keg.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

the spyder posted:

Old and busted: FMIC

New hotness: HMT

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This is a public service announcement.
If you're old AF like I am, take care of your back. Stretch every day. Strengthen your core. Lift things properly. If you do not do these things, you will sprain all lumbar muscles and sprain at least one lumbar ligament.
This will render you unable to walk and sit for at least 3 days. You will then afterwards no longer be able to put on socks in the morning for at least two weeks. Not to mention it stalling any projects you are currently working on. Or driving down to visit the AB:AI crew and bribing them with Montreal Bagels to help you swap your clutch.

Such as installing the mud flaps for your rotary support vehicle.

Or working on the exhaust manifold for your turbo.

Or replacing the thermostat in the RX-8 that stuck open, which thanks to all the other cooling modifications you've made, result in tripping a CEL for low coolant temp while driving over 60km/h after 2 minutes. gently caress Mishimoto. Everything they make is trash. There's now a new Mazda 82C thermostat in the car. A process I can now complete blindfolded with just a 10mm and 12mm socket in under 20 minutes and a minor blood sacrifice (A knuckle will suffice).

Now to figure out why on earth I can't get USB pass through to my Windows XP VM working for the Sony MZ-N505.

While waiting for my back to heal enough to regain minimal mobility, I did have a thought regarding the new canbus controllable turbo. Assuming enough exhaust flow to spool the turbine (not necessarily to build any boost mind you) and also having the compressor cover modified to emulate that of a HKS T51R. I should be able to vary the AR of the turbine housing fast enough to use the whistle of the compressor intake air to play music.

T51R mod:
https://www.t51r.com/collections/frontpage/products/borgwarnr-t51r-modification
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbKrEIPylo

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

3d modelling on the turbo manifold continues. Carving out time to work on it often enough to not spend the first 50% relearning fusion 360 is difficult.

Minor updates to all vehicles.
The RX-8 finally has the fender strakes painted and installed.

I like gold.

I think the shade and finish matches with wheels and decals well enough. Oh god, the pollen though. It's so bad.

As posted in the what did you do to your ride thread, I hit the tailgate of the rotary support vehicle with some vinyl. This way, when I eventually replace it (that's a whole other post on it's own), I can peel the vinyl off the tailgate and don't lose anything stuck to it. It can then become garage wall art.

Enter OHOAT! (aka One Hell of a Town - https://www.onehellofatown.com/ )

So the tailgate now looks like this:

Not even the wifes Macan was safe:

The last one though, that's going on the shotgun case.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

A teaser of what this past weekend involved.
A full spectrum of emotions were experienced.

Hard to tell from this picture but every single spring has mm's of free play in every direction. :psyduck:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Hard to tell from this picture but every single spring has mm's of free play in every direction. :psyduck:

Brings a whole new meaning to "smoooooth clutch engagement" doesn't it? How many new fillings do you need?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

So the tailgate now looks like this:

I loving love it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

McTinkerson posted:

A teaser of what this past weekend involved.
A full spectrum of emotions were experienced.

I wish I still had the picture of the clutch I changed in a buddy's car. We dropped the pressure plate and one of the springs literally fell out of the trans. LOL

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

AB:AI is an absolutely wonderful group of weirdos. Slung Blades generosity is especially noteworthy as he offered his shop to tackle replacing the clutch on the RX-8. Friday morning I loaded up everything including the dumb snail. In case anyone else wanted to see if it would fit in their engine bay, or just for joke pictures.

I took the scenic and *slightly* curvier route south which resulted in being stuck behind many convoys of combines. This did have the upside of being able to complete countless 4th gear pulls to redline passing them. Eventually. Rural Alberta has far to many solid yellow single lane roads.

Eventually, I did make it to Casa De Slung Blade. All those highway pulls really did a number on the finish of the titanium exhaust tips. They got toasty.
I still averaged 11.47L/100km on the drive down though. That's with a tune that has absolutely zero focus on fuel economy. Only pooooooooower. (All 180whp of it. On a good day.)

I think it's time to retire this sticker. The weather has finally killed it.

Ready for surgery. Originally, I thought I would have to use the 2 post but since this 4 post is a heavy duty unit, the distance between the posts is wide enough and the bellhousing narrow enough that everything clears and come out the bottom with plenty of buffer.

I forgot to get an underbody shot prior to starting parts removal.

The Auto-Exe subframe braces are removed as they prohibit anything else coming off.

All power plant frame bolts are now soaking in seafoam deep creep. One of my concerns was snapping/stripping/shearing these.

Midpipe is removed. The reason for it is not clearance related. The hanger for it mounts to the PPF.
I've never see a stainless steel pipe turn this colour due to heat before.

The PPF didn't actually put up nearly as much of a fight as I thought it would. The additional help from Mr Chips and Turbo Fondant absolutely helped.
You can also see the factory carbon fiber driveshaft. It's so light and pretty. Also another great source of anxiety as a single nick or dent means it goes straight in the bin.

Transmission is out. So far so good.

OK, that's more like what I was expecting. That is one crusty release bearing and yes, that is rust.

So gross. Also has a fair bit of play vs the new one.

Transmission itself looks pretty good though. No major leaks or sweats.

I love my 3D printer. Maybe it's because I'm to cheap to buy one of the metal flywheel stoppers from any of the rotary shops. These little stoppers worked perfectly.

Yeah, that's not good. Every single spring had mm's of free play in every direction and made audible jingles. It's now the shops tambourine.
This is the original clutch with just over 121000 km on it.

Flywheel itself looks pretty good. Still nice and smooth. The factory machining step for the wear surface is still prominent. This means it gets to stay put and I don't have to break out the gigantic flywheel nut or need to use the new rear main seal I brought with me.

This fucker though. This loving pilot bearing. It resisted all of us for hours. The bearing slide puller couldn't remove it. Even after machining a greater lip into the bearing adapter to allow it to make more contact with the bearing lip.
Next up, we tried grease and a machined plug to try and pop it out. No luck. Then we tried thicker grease. Still nothing. There was no wonder bread available and honestly, it wouldn't have worked.

Lucky for me, Slung Blade is a wizard and had this wonderful piece of equipment. He was able to pop the original pilot bearing out almost immediately.

Yeah, this is for sure another reason why once things warmed up or revs were above 5000km, I couldn't change gears.

In goes the new (first) pilot bearing and seal. Yeah, first...

Flywheel is cleaned up and ready for the new clutch assembly.

ACT clutch and pressure plate installed.
This is where things start to go a wee bit sideways and my anxiety levels start creeping up. Which affected the amount of pictures I ended up taking as well.

While attempting to install the transmission, we accidentally folded the bottom lip of the pilot bearing seal into the pilot bearing and destroyed its needle bearing cage. We had no idea how important maintaining an absolutely perfect transmission input shaft angle was when installing the transmission. The factory service manual certainly made zero mention of it.
By the time we noticed this, Saturday was almost over.

So out comes the transmission, pressure plate and clutch and we remove our second pilot bearing and seal of the day. At this point, I'm very very very glad I bought a second bearing and seal. Why? Because prevailing forums wisdom is that the one's that come with the ACT clutch kits shouldn't be trusted. Well, good thing I did since without it I would be waiting until Monday morning for Mazda's parts department to open. Now, which of the two bearings went in first? The OEM Mazda one of course but hey beggars can't be choosers. My anxiety is through the roof by now and were it not for Slung Blade, Seat Safety Switch, Mr Chips and Turbo Fondant who all bent over backwards to help get the car back together, I would not have made it.

The result of an absolute mad dash to get everything back together.

The result of a monumental effort from everyone. Picture taken at 0200 Sunday morning.

Re-assembly is the inverse of disassembly. Everything went back together reasonably well. With the exception of the power plant frame. That one fought Mr Chips and I well past midnight. Thanks to the combination of the heat shield for the CF driveshaft having to stay on the PPF (since there's no way to get it back on once everything is bolted back together) and the rear diff snout dropping down due to zero support (and no easy way to support it) there were challenges. Nothing we couldn't handle. Eventually. Luckily for us, Slung Blade has two transmission jacks.

Sunday morning was spent putting the subframe braces back on. Then came firing it up for the first time with the new clutch (with an open header :getin:). The moment of truth. Did we screw anything up the second time around?

Whelp, turns out we sorta kinda did. With the car in neutral and the clutch depressed all the way, the transmission did not want to shift in to gear easily or almost at all. You could feel the syncros doing all the heavy lifting. It felt like there was an air bubble in the system. The pedal had two distinct resistances during its travel. It was also a lot lighter than it should be.
So let's try bleeding the clutch hydraulics. Mazda decided that there should be a U shaped hardline immediately before the slave cylinder which is perfectly shaped to trap air after all.

Almost 5? (I think, it's a bit of a blur) hours later with Slung Blade and I getting incredibly frustrated that no amount of bleeding would fix things, Turbo Fondant performed one last hail Mary and adjusted the clutch pedal free play and pedal piston plunger neutral position. Which also thanks to the nature of the seats and general cabin layout resulted in a rather crude and aggressive back massage.
He was right! The new pressure plate moved the default clutch fork position which meant that the original adjustments of the pedal and hydraulics meant that with the pedal fully depressed, the clutch fork wasn't at its full travel and thus not fully disengaging the clutch.
By this time, it was 1530 on Sunday. I do not remember feeling more relieve in my life.

It was somewhat short lived though. While Turbo Fondant was performing his magic, he noticed that the clutch master was leaking externally onto the pedal assembly and slowly soaking my firewall carpet and matting with brake fluid. :smith:
I still made it home though without issue. I took the less scenic and more direct route though.

The absolute MVP of this weekend however, is without question, Mrs. Slung Blade. She kept all of us alive through her near telepathic sense of our frustration, hydration and blood sugar levels. I could not have asked for a more gracious, thoughtful and supportive host. Mr and Mrs Slung Blade have truly built an absolutely phenomenal home for themselves and I consider myself beyond lucky to be able to spent time with them.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

:salute:

Good write up, and that was a fun if slightly stressful weekend. Again, my apologies, I think it was me who hamfucked that first pinion bearing when I was trying to force the transmission back in. drat good thing you had the spare.

Turbo fondant and I are still working on his two trucks, mostly him let's be honest, but I am trying to help where I can.

It was great hanging out with you again.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah, that was a pretty incredible wrenching session; just four crazy, stupid dudes with nothing more than focus and determination working deep into the night to get Tink's car back together, and also making one good truck out of Turbo Fondant's two not-so-great trucks. We were all definitely turning into pumpkins toward the end of it; calling it at 2am was the right call.

It was a pretty surreal scene when we finally got the Mazda's transmission back for the second time; we were all sweating bullets while the university radio station was playing some incredibly wild prog rock; I described it as basically being the Interstellar soundtrack meets Deep Purple, but lol it actually was Deep Purple, just one of their wilder recorded jam sessions.

And I will also echo the sentiment that Mrs. Blade kept us all fed and watered (and thus sane) for this marathon, and deserves all the credit we can give her!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

:salute:
Good write up, and that was a fun if slightly stressful weekend. Again, my apologies, I think it was me who hamfucked that first pinion bearing when I was trying to force the transmission back in. drat good thing you had the spare.

Turbo fondant and I are still working on his two trucks, mostly him let's be honest, but I am trying to help where I can.

It was great hanging out with you again.

Yeah, no. It was in no way on you regarding the pilot bearing. Zero blame on anyone in my mind. Except maybe Aisin for not tapering the nose on the input shaft.

MrChips posted:

It was a pretty surreal scene when we finally got the Mazda's transmission back for the second time; we were all sweating bullets while the university radio station was playing some incredibly wild prog rock; I described it as basically being the Interstellar soundtrack meets Deep Purple, but lol it actually was Deep Purple, just one of their wilder recorded jam sessions.

Ok, so that did actually happen and I didn't imagine it. That night was just surreal and amazing. I'm not going to forget it any time soon.

Right, so what's next? Well, the reason for the delay in updates was partially due to a free trailer. Located in the middle of nowhere British Columbia. Up a mountain that is the closest to Pikes Peak that Canada has. Dunn Lake Road, for anyone interested. Google Maps does not do it justice in any way.
- Previously posted about in the what did you do to your ride today thread.

Free means it needed work. So over two weeks it was torn apart and then put back together.

The wifes hobbies make this project thread look affordable.

After the road trip to pick up the trailer, it was time to take a look at the rear brakes on the rotary support vehicle. At the time of replacing the front pads, the rears were still at ~5mm pad thickness.
Now they're a little less than that.

161000km on the factory pads isn't bad. I'm impressed. Clearly I am not driving hard enough.

New pads in, now matching the compound of the fronts. Next time they're due, it'll be rotors and rebuilding the parking brake assembly.

Now back to the RX-8.

The 8's have had an open rolling TSB on tail light seals since basically new. The seals were revised twice and this car has had the revised ones installed by Mazda twice. Granted, this was over 14 years ago.

That is a lot of water out of one tail light.

Yeah, you can see the path the water took.
No pictures of the fail seals, sorry. I was racing the weather again.

New seals came from eBay.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/MAZDA-RX8-tail-rear-light-lamp-GASKET-SEALS-NEW/374184014176
Arrived from Poland in under two weeks. They're 3 times thicker than stock and are of a much better quality of foam.
Also half the price of new ones from Mazda.

The only damage from the fishbowl?

At least it's pretty.

Next, it's the issue identified during the clutch replacement.

Score, two magnets!

Yup, that's an external leak.

No pictures of the removal or install, sorry. I just flat out forgot.
As a result, possibly(?), the clutch master swap was painless. Nothing put up a fight and I didn't create an air bubble in the clutch hydraulic system. :dance:
Leak is fixed and the pedal does feel a little firmer.

So what's next (for the 8)?

Time to fix the rust on the rockers so the mud guards can go back on.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

They're multiplying!

Turns out it's cheaper to buy the canbus actuators with the turbo still attached.

New reman actuator from local supplier: $600.

Used actuator off an ISX15 with 100k km on it: $300. And it even came with a free turbo and speed sensor.

:parrot:

Edit: Now I'm wondering if I can sell my reman turbo for enough to buy a Link ECU FuryX....

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 5, 2022

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Why seal the tail lights? Wouldn't it save a lot of stress to just put a little hole in the bottom and let the water drain out?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PBCrunch posted:

Why seal the tail lights? Wouldn't it save a lot of stress to just put a little hole in the bottom and let the water drain out?

tail lights generally do have vents, but unless you stop tons of water from getting in, you'll have condensation.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

The seals in question are kind of misnamed. They're more sealing the area between the tail lights and the body. So while they prevent water ingress to the lights via the bulb sockets, these seals also prevent water from entering the trunk.

Additionally, due to the aero of the vehicle, driving above 80km/h in the rain ends up forcing water into the lights and trunk. Others have tried drilling drainage holes into the bottom of the lights and they end up filling up through them.
Which results in, as Powershift correctly pointed out, condensation.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Things have been put on pause since August 7th due to my wife fracturing her C1, C2 and C7 vertebrae.

So there won't be project updates for a while longer.

To balance that bombshell out, here's something dumb and fun.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

You're going to compound them, right?

Obligatory:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

It's a VGT, there's zero need. I don't even need a wastegate (I just tell the turbine vanes to open up instead). I need to dig out the secret squirrel compressor map for this snail. (Holset doesn't really publish them for industrial OEM ones.)
It doesn't really reach efficiency until a pressure ratio of close to 3. So 28psi/2bar of booooooost.
I'll be running it closer to a 1.8-2.0 ratio. Anything more and the transmission goes bye bye followed by denting the rotors due to the 10:1 compression ratio.

Wife's broken neck is healing very quickly and x-rays say she can slowly ween off the rigid collar and start physiotherapy.
This means I'm slightly less busy and thus can fill that new found time with automotive insanity projects again.

First order of business: the melted mid pipe resonator. Well melted might not be the correct term.

Between 3000 and 4000rpm there was a resonance and buzz that made the car to me, un-drivable.

The solution, cut out the broken one and go a weeee bit overboard. There are mm's of clearance between the new "resonator" and the driveshaft heat shield and power plant frame. To the point that the factory, now tired, engine mounts allow a little too much vibration.

It sounds so very very very good now. I need to get video(audio) that does it justice. The closest thing I can think of is what Forza 7 uses for audio when you 3 rotor swap a car.

Not pictured, the new rear mud guards installed.
Pictured: Me about to lose my license due to Eurobeat minidisc on endless loop ( Initial D non-stop megamix vol 1), a full tank of fuel and a wonderful sounding renesis with a spicy homebrew tune.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Annual oil change completed. I wish I drove it more to hit the mileage/fuel dilution limits instead of age.
Thanks to the oil metering ECU tables being fully deleted/set to zero, Castrol Edge 5w50 went in.
If it's good enough for Mighty Car Mods, it's good enough for me.

Also picking up a spare set of tail lights this evening in preparation for a small electronics project this winter. Gonna build myself a set of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMFGNIlW7gI

Edit: And the lenses were cracked. The seller did not mention that in the ad. The hunt continues.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 21, 2022

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Rotary support vehicle rolled 169k km. I changed the oil, rotated the tires and re-greased the LCA's.
Once I dropped it back down and took it for a spin, the wheel was clocked 15 degrees to the right when driving straight. Uh oh, what did I do?
Did I over do it with the grease gun and messed up the camber/toe?

Nope, turns out the passenger side inner tie rod wore out to the point of almost a cm of play.

Based on km travelled, I guess it's close enough to the bell curve.

Ford engineering, in their infinite wisdom, runs different part numbers between RWD and 4WD configuration. So getting parts locally was fun.

It's all fixed now but that depleted the project fund again. What's free? Working on 3d models and prints for brackets to relocate basically everything in the RX8s engine bay to make room for the turbo.

So that's the plan for the short holiday break.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If I said that I was bouncing around the idea of buying an RX-8 because it was the car I was obsessed with in high school and I can realistically afford one these days, what advice would you tell me?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sagebrush posted:

If I said that I was bouncing around the idea of buying an RX-8 because it was the car I was obsessed with in high school and I can realistically afford one these days, what advice would you tell me?

Don't. :lol:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Buy a 2009-2012 non R3 sub model.
Have the engine compression tested (with the coolant/engine as hot as possible) and make sure the compression is above 90+ psi on all rotor faces (corrected for altitude).

Do not buy a 2008 or older RX-8 PERIOD.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 12, 2022

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

McTinkerson posted:

Unless you want to engine swap.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

McTinkerson posted:

Buy a 2009-2012 non R3 sub model.
Have the engine compression tested (with the coolant/engine as hot as possible) and make sure the compression is above 90+ psi on all rotor faces (corrected for altitude).

Best advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

This vehicle is significantly more fun in the winter months at current power levels.

Having the Initial D non-stop megamix blaring on repeat is absolutely going to end up with me losing my license and the car impounded though.

I drive like an absolute dong in the snow.
There's always some opposite lock and the revs are never below 5000. Still not speeding though!
:rms:

Edit: Type S better have their Formula D underglow kit on sale for the new year.
https://typesauto.com/products/type-s-formula-drift-pro-series-smart-led-exterior-lighting-kit-lm532654