Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The show is extremely supposed to be taking itself slightly too seriously to the point that you're supposed to find it comedic, yes.

It's the story of a woman who just wants to be a cute little girl, finds that within a vicious shooter, becomes a vicious PvP expert accidentally due to picking desert pink, befriends a psycho with some serious issues and decides the best way to tackle those issues is to kill her in one of the game's biggest tournaments. Point at anything remotely serious here. It treats the melodrama as just that - melodrama. And laughs at it. It definitely slows down at times, and I'd agree it slows for too long very often, but some of the stuff folks are complaining about is pretty dumb IMHO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The only time the game approached being serious was M's IRL infodump about Pito's situation and the backstory about that.

Which was one of the worst parts of this truly :v:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

The only time the game approached being serious was M's IRL infodump about Pito's situation and the backstory about that.

Which was one of the worst parts of this truly :v:

Oh, yes. So serious.

I remember the scene where M pulls a kabe-don to confess to LLENN that he loves Pito. The height of drama, especially when the framing emphasized how small M was in comparison.

Pure. loving. Drama.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Beato Believer posted:

♬♬♬
Who's that bursting out to run?

Who's the gal with the cute pink gun?

Who's the one who kills for fun?

Psycho LLENN! Psycho LLENN! Psycho LLENN!
♬♬♬

for those who don't know, it's a takeoff of 'Psycho Dad' from Married With Children

I put that to the Freakazoid Theme in my head personally. It still fits.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, yes. So serious.

I remember the scene where M pulls a kabe-don to confess to LLENN that he loves Pito. The height of drama, especially when the framing emphasized how small M was in comparison.

Pure. loving. Drama.

i don't think one of the handful of good gags in that episode excuses it from being criticized when it definitely had seriousness that wasn't really tempered by humor or taken far enough to be humorous in and of itself.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Oh, yes. So serious.

Pure. loving. Drama.

And her just thinking 'he is a creep, I don't give a poo poo' at every point in the discussion. If that was shorter, it would've worked for me. It was funny, but ill-presented to truly capitalise on the comedic value of that scene outside of that framing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waci posted:

Reminder it is literally a group of children playing a video game, not some group of jaded trained professionals in a life-or-death situation.

Which made it all the more hilarious when the MMTM leader guy is freaking out at Pito laughing as she kills him and his buddy and he's just screaming "do you think this is some kind of game or something"? Because that's exactly what it is. I think the last couple of coalition guys Pito tortures before killing by leaving them dangling over a ledge holding on to one another do the same thing too.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

They drove to a literal field of geysers. That's a feature, and Pito was planning on forcing them into one. The one tactic they don't explain with a full scene (but still do with an offhand comment) is the one that gets missed out.

I was really hoping Llenn would urge Fuka to drive over one to somehow take advantage of it to make a surprise attack. No idea how, but it's definitely what I was hoping for as soon as the geyser's started popping. As is, the geyser's being there seems to mostly have been solely to populate the background with something that wasn't just a flat field, and not for anyone to take advantage of environmentally. Which is disappointing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

It's the story of a woman who just wants to be a cute little girl, finds that within a vicious shooter, becomes a vicious PvP expert accidentally due to picking desert pink, befriends a psycho with some serious issues and decides the best way to tackle those issues is to kill her in one of the game's biggest tournaments. Point at anything remotely serious here. It treats the melodrama as just that - melodrama. And laughs at it. It definitely slows down at times, and I'd agree it slows for too long very often, but some of the stuff folks are complaining about is pretty dumb IMHO.

We even got a sad scene of all of LLENN's allies getting themselves killed in a heroic suicide charge while LLENN begs them not to and then less than five minutes later it cuts to them sitting in a bar drinking virtual beer.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Kanos posted:

heroic suicide charge

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And her just thinking 'he is a creep, I don't give a poo poo' at every point in the discussion. If that was shorter, it would've worked for me. It was funny, but ill-presented to truly capitalise on the comedic value of that scene outside of that framing.

Yeah. When people say "Those scenes should have been punchier", I can sympathize. But when it's treated like it's purely dramatic, it doesn't really mesh with the presentation.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
probably the most dramatic scene was M begging not to die

which had, you know

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Omnicrom posted:

I put that to the Freakazoid Theme in my head personally. It still fits.

:same:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

tsob posted:

Which made it all the more hilarious when the MMTM leader guy is freaking out at Pito laughing as she kills him and his buddy and he's just screaming "do you think this is some kind of game or something"? Because that's exactly what it is. I think the last couple of coalition guys Pito tortures before killing by leaving them dangling over a ledge holding on to one another do the same thing too.

tbf Pito is being the worst kind of player and also it's not cool to torture people even if it's virtual.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Kyte posted:

tbf Pito is being the worst kind of player and also it's not cool to torture people even if it's virtual.

yeah teabagging isnt cool

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I can't imagine too many people complaining being tb'd by Pito

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kyte posted:

this is the kind of attitude that ruined ultima online

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GGO does appear to have limited pain feedback, which does probably make torturing other players a bit more impolite.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

shoulda cut off more dicks tbqh

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnacondaHL posted:

shoulda cut off more dicks tbqh

Isn't that LLENN's job?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

kirtar posted:

Isn't that LLENN's job?

♬♬♬
Who cuts off dicks in a virtual way?

Who's blinding fast as she hunts her prey?

Who smiles when at last it is time to slay?

Psycho LLENN! Psycho LLENN! Psycho LLENN!
♬♬♬

okay, I'll stop.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Darth Walrus posted:

GGO does appear to have limited pain feedback, which does probably make torturing other players a bit more impolite.

It also has a resign function, which makes complaining about in-game torture silly and pointless.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
you have to be able to use the UI to resign though, which requires free hands.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It seems like you can't resign if you're restrained. I think every time it's been shown the character has had to go through an a physical process to do it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It automatically logs you out if you're in a certain amount of distress anyway. Wimps. Real gamers give themselves heart attacks and die in shock playing milsims with a Nervgear.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I also can't imagine the pain feedback is actually painful because there is absolutely no way the vast, vast majority of people would play a game where you can be forced to feel one trillionth of the pain of having your balls cut off with a knife or having your limbs shot off or being incinerated. I mean yeah you'd get some people who would be into that but probably not enough to keep an MMO afloat.

M's terror at the prospect of being killed would probably be the norm rather than a weird exception.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
At the risk of SAO spoilers, there's no real pain in any of these World Seed VR games.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, yeah, but someone pinning you down and repeatedly flicking you in the face (translation: blowing off your limbs and using you as a bullet-piñata) is probably pretty unpleasant and annoying. It‘s not exactly good etiquette.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ChronoReverse posted:

At the risk of SAO spoilers, there's no real pain in any of these World Seed VR games.
ALO doesn't count as seed since it was basically a copy of the SAO infrastructure right (minus the "if you die in game you die in real life" part)? Though I guess that involved abuse of admin privileges.

It automatically logs you out if you're in a certain amount of distress anyway. Wimps. Real gamers give themselves heart attacks and die in shock playing milsims with a Nervgear.

Well we know of at least two people that were for sure using Nervegears in GGO, though I have to imagine the guy playing Death Gun was also using one.

Also found this a few pages back:

kirtar fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 28, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
There's enough pain feedback so things feel right. Like how the sound of a gun in a game adds a whole lot to the feel of that gun. The better the sound, the more satisfying it is and the more you buy into the versimilitude of being the one to fire that gun.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Getting shot in GGO probably at least tickles. If only to help you know where you're being shot from.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Getting shot in GGO probably at least tickles. If only to help you know where you're being shot from.

Two minutes of tickle torture is not a war crime.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

kirtar posted:

ALO doesn't count as seed since it was basically a copy of the SAO infrastructure right (minus the "if you die in game you die in real life" part)? Though I guess that involved abuse of admin privileges.
ALO is also the only one where you can turn off the pain absorber altogether so far. Unless SAO:A changes things up, all seed games don't have severe real pain.

With the Amusphere, I don't think it's possible to sustain real pain for long anyway.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Fuka is getting delimbed a lot and doesnt seem to mind too much

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Waci posted:

Two minutes of tickle torture is not a war crime.

It was in the tickle wars. You weren't there, man. You don't know.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ChronoReverse posted:

ALO is also the only one where you can turn off the pain absorber altogether so far. Unless SAO:A changes things up, all seed games don't have severe real pain.

With the Amusphere, I don't think it's possible to sustain real pain for long anyway.

Yeah I imagine the elevated heart rate and such caused by any real pain would trigger the autodisconnect anyways. Hell, Karen was disconnected just from the reaction from her height complex.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Beato Believer posted:

It was in the tickle wars. You weren't there, man. You don't know.

I served 6 years in elementary school :colbert:

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Waci posted:

I served 6 years in elementary school :colbert:

Oh wow, you did hard time. Sorry, I withdraw my previous comment.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The GGO players all hate Pito's brutality because they are roleplayers and it ruins their immersion if someone threats GGO like a game.
Grenadefriend played some other games before that might have an actually competitive esports scene. Where the top tournaments aren't dominated by people bringing knifes to gunfights or who just started playing. So she just ignores losing a limb, if the game mechanics treat it like a minor injury.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I get the impression that your in-game stats determine how much pain feedback you get. Tankier characters do react less to being injured (Fuka, one of the toughest we’ve seen, barely seems to notice), while lighter, faster characters, and LLENN in particular (who we know skipped HP day) really don’t handle getting shot well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

tonberrytoby posted:

The GGO players all hate Pito's brutality because they are roleplayers and it ruins their immersion if someone threats GGO like a game.
Grenadefriend played some other games before that might have an actually competitive esports scene. Where the top tournaments aren't dominated by people bringing knifes to gunfights or who just started playing. So she just ignores losing a limb, if the game mechanics treat it like a minor injury.

GGO has a really active competitive scene, though. It's the team scene which is new and tiny.

• Locked thread