Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kanos posted:

GGO has a really active competitive scene, though. It's the team scene which is new and tiny.

Well yeah there's effectively sanctioned RMT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kanos posted:

GGO has a really active competitive scene, though. It's the team scene which is new and tiny.
As I remember it, GGO's biggest tournament ended with a duel between a roleplayer and someone who just entered the game very recently.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Spiritus Nox posted:

Getting shot in GGO probably at least tickles. If only to help you know where you're being shot from.

It was explicitly stated that the pain feedback in GGO is cranked up compared to other games. I'm sure it's still a tiny fraction compared to real life, and knowing it's not "real" pain probably helps.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Kanos posted:

Yeah, most of the team play only exists in the PvP/PvE wilderness, and most of those folks have dumb etiquette and standards, like ‘lightsabers are dumb’. Also, we should distinguish that all this is on the Japan server alone, not international stuff, and isn’t GGO described as more popular in the West?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

some of the stuff folks are complaining about is pretty dumb IMHO.

It has Sword Art Online in the title, it's important to have a carefully thought out position on how bad it is.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, most of the team play only exists in the PvP/PvE wilderness, and most of those folks have dumb etiquette and standards, like ‘lightsabers are dumb’. Also, we should distinguish that all this is on the Japan server alone, not international stuff, and isn’t GGO described as more popular in the West?

I think the popularity of GGO in the West is meant to be a nod to the JRPG versus FPS cultural divide. Also, it's not just more popular in the West, it's a Western game, unlike SAO and ALO.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah in SAO II wasn't part of the thing that the government couldn't just get the company to hand over data since they were based in like the US?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Well

that finale was a lot.

Congratulations, Karen and Elsa. Seek therapy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's kind of odd that the person who plays a singer in the show doesn't do the OP or ED. And my memory may not be great but I don't think she did the insert songs that weren't specifically Elza Kanzaki songs?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
When the show started going for hyperviolence in the second half since it's a game and they could get away with it, I expected the final fight to be Some poo poo. With a bite to the neck after getting your hands cut off, huh?? Brutal.

Also "lol that's dumb sao was garbage" owns

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I dug the hell out of this stupid shooty mcbangbang show and its wonderful dumbass characters running around shooting each other up. This was easily the best thing I've seen to have the name "Sword Art Online" plastered on it, and I dig that a recurring thing in the series is basically people thumbing their noses at the source material.

Caphi posted:

It's kind of odd that the person who plays a singer in the show doesn't do the OP or ED. And my memory may not be great but I don't think she did the insert songs that weren't specifically Elza Kanzaki songs?

I assume Aoi Eir did the opening because they're sort of the iconic group for SAO, I bet someone thought not using them would be like if they made another Super Robot Wars anime and didn't get JAM Project to do the opening. As for the insert songs I thought all of them were by "Elsa Kanzaki", or rather the real singer they got to sing for her.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 30, 2018

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
What an excellent way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

This was one of the shows this season that I most looked forward to seeing each episode. I'd love to see another season of the rampages of the pink devil.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Gotta appreciate all the spectators booing the poo poo out of Team T-S because they were all way more into the Pito vs LLENN fight then the dumb robo cosplayers.

I genuinely thought they were going to fake us out with Pito's real identity there, which would have felt like a cheat. Cute the way they handle it.

Also M please seek counselling you weird stalker masochist.

quote:

snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

:golfclap:

Arianya fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 30, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I had no idea how they could end this well.

They ended it spectacularly.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
How did a spin-off based on something so poo poo end up being so good

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

SJ-2 ended the way I expected (apart for everything in the fight holy poo poo), and the second half of this episode solidifies Miyu as the best character, all her comments during the car ride :lol:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Miyu is what this show needed from the beginning. She seems to have flown in from an entirely different anime where subtlety, showing personality, and comedic timing exist. She instantly lights up every single scene she's in, even if she's just present in the background.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Glad to see this goony little show ended in the most E/N way possible. :allears:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

P-chan is the true hero. Poor team robocyclists, though. The winners, but they still lost

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 30, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

At least half of those 74k rounds fired must have been by the machine gun lovers.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

P-chan is the true hero. Poor team robocyclists, though. The winners, but they still lost

That was lowkey one of the best jokes in the series.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Is this a one-run anime then or can we expect more down the line?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ijyt posted:

No more anime has been announced, although my understanding is that the light novels continue from here if somebody feels like adapting those.

I'd bet against seeing more GGO, but you never know.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ijyt posted:

This episode covered through the end of Vol 3 of the LN so in terms of source material it's conceivably possible that they'll keep going.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Miyu is lowkey best character

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I'm at least reasonably sure that literally everything involving Sword Art Online will get adapted into anime because it sells not only light novels but also games and merch, so I bet no matter what, every anime is profitable. A second season of this is relatively likely.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm at least reasonably sure that literally everything involving Sword Art Online will get adapted into anime because it sells not only light novels but also games and merch, so I bet no matter what, every anime is profitable. A second season of this is relatively likely.

Real talk give me a GGO BR and I'll play it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

You understand how anime sequels work, right?

Iirc, the LNs have gone up to Squad Jam 3 and 4, so if they want to push more LNs, they'll probably adapt those.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ijyt posted:

Real talk give me a GGO BR and I'll play it.

In all seriousness, adapting GGO into a multiplayer game could tap into the other craze that came out of ArmA - Wasteland.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Miyu is lowkey best character

Yeah the second greatest crime of the show is Fuka/Miyu not being around for more of it.

The greatest crime is of course our boys the machine gun lovers being killed at all ever.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Beato Believer posted:

I'd love to see another season of the rampages of the pink devil.

I'm actually kind of happy with this being the totality of her story. She had a self image problem and a kind of lovely social life, she started playing GGO to be experience being tiny and now she seems to have gotten over her height and found some friends as well as stopped Pitohui being such a weirdo. I'd kind of prefer to see the same format used for other characters. Introduce a new character with a new problem playing GGO somehow helps him sort out. Squad Jam team tournaments optional, because other events could be more important to the new cast. If thay make more, I'll definitely watch it but I'd be happier for them to move on I think.

Edit: I know the promise itself was half a show ago now, but I think this is one of the only shows I've ever seen where two women talk about doing something "between women" in a roughly analogous way to how male characters and their relationship to each other is done. Not even the dynamics of two women making a promise to each other; just the language of it. It kind of stands out and I found it extra sweet just because the line "it's a promise between women" is so rare.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 30, 2018

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

tsob posted:

I'm actually kind of happy with this being the totality of her story. She had a self image problem and a kind of lovely social life, she started playing GGO to be experience being tiny and now she seems to have gotten over her height and found some friends as well as stopped Pitohui being such a weirdo. I'd kind of prefer to see the same format used for other characters. Introduce a new character with a new problem playing GGO somehow helps him sort out. Squad Jam team tournaments optional, because other events could be more important to the new cast.

I'd be down with the rest just being having fun in GGO. Doesn't need a conflict.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I really do appreciate that Pito is absolutely tiny in real life.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Conot posted:

Gotta appreciate all the spectators booing the poo poo out of Team T-S because they were all way more into the Pito vs LLENN fight then the dumb robo cosplayers.

That was so great. Because there was the bite, and I said aloud "So what, team Halo Cyclists show up now?"
And then we got that, which was so much more satisfying than I expected.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

How the gently caress did I not notice that?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The perfect ending. Give me ten more seasons as long as girls keep kissing Llenn.

Finally delivering the punchline on the M joke was great too.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 30, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh no

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
That show ended far better than I thought it would, what an amazing final episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Even after winning by biting someone's neck out LLENN's still thinks Pito is the merciless one.

I couldn't keep myself from laughing after the second chomp. It was just so casual. 'good, you remember your promise. that's settled then. CHOMP'

chumbler posted:

Yeah the second greatest crime of the show is Fuka/Miyu not being around for more of it.

The greatest crime is of course our boys the machine gun lovers being killed at all ever.

It's ok, the robo-cyclists won.

no really guys, they won.

why are you not cheering.

Edit: Fuku/Miyu is great because she's the character who says and implies all sorts of crass stuff but no one takes it seriously. And then when that serious stuff happens she's just plain flabbergasted by it. The ultimate in snark.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 1, 2018

• Locked thread