Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
It's fun! Which is great, because I haven't watched any of SAO because I'm not a big fan of most longer drama shows.

It also helps that, being a 6'9" man, I'm very familiar with the pains that come with being tall. That gag where she turned her head right into the sign... (I also had issues in school with bullying until high school, but I did at least have friends so I wasn't a complete outcast, just most of one due to fun social anxiety issues.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
I have no idea what the gently caress that ending was about. Maybe the guy is just a hardcore vet with PTSD? Or he's acting to try and turn the situation around?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Akumos posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress that ending was about. Maybe the guy is just a hardcore vet with PTSD? Or he's acting to try and turn the situation around?

He hates dying, I suppose?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Akumos posted:

Could just be a sore loser.

Or that 'real life shooting experience' Pito mentioned is just at a nice safe firing range or involves airsoft guns.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
m is definitely a coward nerd irl

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Or the ultimate sperg: he holds the world record of Least Deaths in GGO and NO LLENN! DON'T! MY RECORD IS AT STAKE HERE! PLEASE!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

EponymousMrYar posted:

Or the ultimate sperg: he holds the world record of Least Deaths in GGO and NO LLENN! DON'T! MY RECORD IS AT STAKE HERE! PLEASE!

Ohhhh this would be great

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, the sniping scene really didn’t just show the sort of skills you get at the shooting range. Hitting unpredictably-moving targets at extreme range while under heavy fire is pretty next-level. M is a ludicrously good sniper in the real world. I do think it was being unable to fulfill the instructions in that letter that caused him to break down.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well I guess that explains why he only snipes and bought a super-expensive mobile fortress to snipe from behind.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
i mean you know he's a skilled shot because he's able to fire accurately by only putting his finger on the trigger to fire which is the exact opposite from the way you're supposed to do it (because it shifts the rifle to the left or right)

that said m is definitely controlled by like a little moe girl or something b/c thats the rules of anime

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Whoever he is, I hope M's back-story contains absolutely no explanation for why he's so good at, and knowledgeable about, murder.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

There’s an old lateral thinking puzzle that goes something like this: “A man walks into a bar and asks for a drink of water. The bartender thinks for a minute, pulls out a gun and points it at him. The man says, "Thank you," and walks out.”
And then you’re asked to figure out a rational explanation for this series of events.*

That’s what this situation feels like. Possibly, he may have just been told he has to be the sole winner. He did say his equipment is super expensive, maybe he’s in serious debt to someone.

*Solution: The man had the hiccups, and having a gun pulled on him surprised him so much it cured him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think it's going to be anything really serious.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, I really hope they're able to keep things light. The contrast between the super grim setting of GGO combined with the near total lack of actual stakes involved is the best. When Pito first showed up, my first reaction was "oh, so this is the evil rival flavor they're going with". But no, it's just a video game, it doesn't matter at all.

Alternatively have it turn into real life violence with none of the characters quite certain of how exactly it got to that point.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I definitely think he just doesn’t wanna ruin his K/D

Since LLENN is the squad leader, if he kills her he becomes the squad leader and can then forfeit without dying.

Can’t get killed of ya just quit

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

My impression was that he might have some phobia of dying in VR, but it could be really funny if he was just some leaderboard dork obsessing over his stats.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Yeah, I really hope they're able to keep things light. The contrast between the super grim setting of GGO combined with the near total lack of actual stakes involved is the best. When Pito first showed up, my first reaction was "oh, so this is the evil rival flavor they're going with". But no, it's just a video game, it doesn't matter at all.

Alternatively have it turn into real life violence with none of the characters quite certain of how exactly it got to that point.

llenn wins squad jam by SWATting the remaining team

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Helter Skelter posted:

My impression was that he might have some phobia of dying in VR, but it could be really funny if he was just some leaderboard dork obsessing over his stats.

sao survivors are a thing. not all of them are likely to be as insensible as kirito.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Helter Skelter posted:

That was my impression too. That he just doesn't like the VR experience of getting shot and dying.

I mean, I assume it doesn't hurt, but I can imagine it being something like a jump-scare in the movie. Even if you know it's coming, your body can still have an involuntary flinch.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm assuming he's faking the breakdown to get LLENN off guard so he can jump her.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm assuming he's faking the breakdown to get LLENN off guard so he can jump her.

I honestly can't imagine him being that good of an actor.

Edit: That said, I imagine the note said something like "try to kill her and see how she reacts."

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Homura and Sickle posted:

that said m is definitely controlled by like a little moe girl or something b/c thats the rules of anime
Speaking of controlled by a cute little girl: The remaining opposing team full of huge women is totally the group of small girls she's been admiring, right?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Tamba posted:

Speaking of controlled by a cute little girl: The remaining opposing team full of huge women is totally the group of small girls she's been admiring, right?

Wait, aren't those the same ones who were in her apartment watching her on Not-Twitch in the cold opening of the first episode?

Maybe she ends up wiping them and they become fans because of that and that's why they're hanging out later.

Also I really hope M is just obsessing over his K/D and this isn't some far too elaborate plan by Pito to trick LLENN into being a super Pro-PKer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

M is terrified of what pito is going to do to him for not following the letter, not about the k/d even though he is a chicken.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Tamba posted:

oh poo poo, good call

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I think there's a good chance of M just being afraid of dying. He plays a sniper and so far he's been just been giving LLENN instructions from afar without getting involved. When he had fight he had a indestructible shield to hide behind.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Perhaps its influence from Megalobox, but my reading was that M is in some debt/trouble and was instructed to fix the match. So much emphasis was put onto the timing of these instructions, a la "go down in the 4th round". One guess deeper, the one sending instructions is disgruntled and getting revenge on LLENN for a savage PK.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I bet M's just an airsofter who's a giant otaku nerd, Pito gifted him the tickets because he's and IRL fan of Pito, who's 100% Elsa Kanzaki, and was all like "here, help this kid out and you can see the concert, just make sure you're done with enough time to get there

Meanwhile did anyone find out if Reki Kawahara is into guns and thus Gary Stu'd himself into sponsoring Squad Jam?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not a "find out" kind of thing, its just explicitly that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

He was called in to work on sao 2 and was looking for a way to write a more fun bloodless gun action series and got an idea and everybody decided it was an agreeable arrangement, so ggo exists.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's even credited as himself in the episodes where Squad Jam's rich author sponsor appears.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure he's even credited as himself in the episodes where Squad Jam's rich author sponsor appears.

I was pretty sure that was actually Keichi Sigsawa, not Reki Kawahara. Having read Kino, the goofy self-insertion, being described as a gun nut, and the cast going "what a weirdo" at him is very much the sort of thing Sigsawa would do. For context Keichi Sigsawa wrote a bit in one of his light novels where two people fighting get pissed that he can't transcribe what's happening fast enough so they pop out of the page and shoot him.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I confused the two, the author of ggo is the sponsor of squad jam, not the dude who wrote sao.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Er, yeah, that's who I meant too. Sigsawa, not Kawahara. The Kino/GGO author, not the SAO proper one.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ep 3 voice credits:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone know if Fatal Bullet is any good? It's the game based on GGO, though I think it involves the normal SAO characters rather than our friends from this show.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

chumbler posted:

Anyone know if Fatal Bullet is any good? It's the game based on GGO, though I think it involves the normal SAO characters rather than our friends from this show.

Literally half the game is Kirito. You have to go to Kirito's room to do anything. Kirito's room is the main hub.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

the in story sponsor literally looks like sigsawa

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

sigsawa

i just now got that pen name. ugh, that's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i just now got that pen name. ugh, that's terrible.

Goddammit I just got it too.

• Locked thread