Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

a good first episode of Hitomi Knows Everybody

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Nitta should disown Hina and adopt Anzu. Probably lead to the world ending but it'll be worth it to correct this injustice.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I loved the salt throwing after they chased Nitta out of the bar. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I will never support the Anzu is better than Hina mentality. Someone needs to be destroying Nitta's China vases and Anzu is too nice to do so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anzu is unquestionably a better person in every conceivable way. she is not a better character, because hinamatsuri is about awful people being awful and hina's just the fuckin' worst.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hina tries her best, sometimes. Occasionally.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hinamatsuri is about awful people being awful

see this is what drew me in but i wish it were more consistently about this

way too many sincere, heartwarming plotlines these last few episodes

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hinamatsuri is about people being awful but still being people, which means that they have warm, kind moments as well.
Except Anzu, who is just an absolute sweetheart.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I mean that is what makes it great, its not just like funny awful people, its really likable funny awful people.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

see this is what drew me in but i wish it were more consistently about this

way too many sincere, heartwarming plotlines these last few episodes

If you've never read the manga, don't loving worry. There's heartwarming wonderful stuff but you'll get a boatload of cringe awful people being awful and then some depending on where the anime gets to.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Hina's the unsung hero in the second half of this episode

"Seriously what is this"

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Both of this episode's segments were hilarious. All of the characters bounce off each other in such a great way, and the VAs knocked it out of the park (especially Hitomi's).

I think Hina's part in the TV gag was one of the first jokes that had me in tears when reading the manga so I'm really glad they nailed it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad they animated Hitomi's face accurately.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hitomi's suffering is...very funny

Anzu's is not so much :smith:

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
the second half of the episode's central joke was extremely dark but man did they loving nail it

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Sindai posted:

I'm glad they animated Hitomi's face accurately.

I agree

Aug 24, 2011

good reaction gif

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

me when someone finds my twitter account

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
lmao I forgot how loving great this chapter/arc was

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
This episode's important because it's the one that finally puts the "everyone is awful all the time" thing to bed for good, because even Utako, who up until this point is just kind of the worst, has her doing something really, really kind and good for someone, and it turns out she's active in protests and whatnot. Hinamatsuri is about people being awful and good, because they's people.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, its a character base comedy, the jokes come from people being people.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I'm not crying, you're crying.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
anzowns

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
also the first half of this episode was one of the absolute favorites I had going through reading the manga for a while, I love the Nitta family. What's funny is he probably could have told them the whole truth and they'd have still accepted her. They're all such goofs.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:qq:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

also the first half of this episode was one of the absolute favorites I had going through reading the manga for a while, I love the Nitta family. What's funny is he probably could have told them the whole truth and they'd have still accepted her. They're all such goofs.

His bullshit game was on point for a minute there.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I'm happy Anzu found a good home

Aug 24, 2011

i'm glad that anzu is the only good character if hitomi is disqualified for being the best character

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anzu is a Disney princess made flesh

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

"How much does this feast cost?" Oh gosh that's heartbreaking.

What a great episode. I laughed at the drunk Nitta family and poor dumb Hina doing her best (ju-san sai deeeees~), and then I cried along with Anzu for the homeless dudes. I can't remember seeing much (or any) portrayal of Japan's homeless in other manga or anime, but I really like the Hinamatsuri author's very human and sympathetic take on their characters.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anzu. :cry:

Given how things are progressing I wonder if Hina is going to take up pottery and start making vases.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This was a shocking change in tone for me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

tell me about it

anzu is a national treasure that must be protected

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

This episode's important because it's the one that finally puts the "everyone is awful all the time" thing to bed for good, because even Utako, who up until this point is just kind of the worst, has her doing something really, really kind and good for someone, and it turns out she's active in protests and whatnot. Hinamatsuri is about people being awful and good, because they's people.

I would say that a lot of the characters from Hinamatsuri are jerks, but jerks in a very "low impact" way. They're flaws are played up for laughs in a way that stresses how silly everything is and, generally speaking, the tone matches. Even theoretically scummy yakuza come across as fairly harmless. I think the adaptation has really nailed this!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Mentat Radnor posted:

"How much does this feast cost?" Oh gosh that's heartbreaking.

What a great episode. I laughed at the drunk Nitta family and poor dumb Hina doing her best (ju-san sai deeeees~), and then I cried along with Anzu for the homeless dudes. I can't remember seeing much (or any) portrayal of Japan's homeless in other manga or anime, but I really like the Hinamatsuri author's very human and sympathetic take on their characters.

Tokyo Godfathers is pretty much the one I'd point to for a decent portrayal of Japanese homeless people.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Tokyo Godfathers is pretty much the one I'd point to for a decent portrayal of Japanese homeless people.

That's been on my "to watch" list for ages, so thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna make time to watch it this weekend.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Mentat Radnor posted:

That's been on my "to watch" list for ages, so thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna make time to watch it this weekend.

Everyone watch Tokyo Godfathers this weekend.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Yawgmoft posted:

Everyone watch Tokyo Godfathers this weekend.

Dont you tell me what to do

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Meme Emulator posted:

Dont you tell me what to do

HEY MEME EMULATOR

KEEP BREATHING
gotcha fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU