Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
anzu's VA sings the OP, that means she's the protagonist, sorry I don't make the rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Centzon Totochtin posted:

anzu's VA sings the OP, that means she's the protagonist, sorry I don't make the rules

Who sits in the last chair by the window in class?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who sits in the last chair by the window in class?

Hina.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Window seats, second to last chair is the protag, last chair is the conflicted love interest.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

it's about 3 chapters per episode right? hope the season is 26ish eps so we get to see hitomi's arc

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's only set to be 12 episodes, but the adaptation has been selective about what it adapta, so there's not really anything stopping it from jumping ahead of it wants to

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Is it being well received commercially out of interest?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

tsob posted:

Is it being well received commercially out of interest?

The first BD/DVD of the series isn't being released until June 27, so we won't know how well it sells until after that. I don't know if manga sales have increased due to the anime, though.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
They keep doing it

Edit: The next episode is going to be another Yakuza chapter, and I think the thing I want most would be in episode 12. Is this show 12 or 13 episodes?

mdct fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 8, 2018

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I was a little late to this show but it's absolutely fantastic. Always funny, often sweet & occasionally heartbreaking.

Hitomi is the best & Anzu is the sweetest.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's the Hitomi content I crave anime yes

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Hitomi is going to be a karoshi before she gets out of middle school.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Hitomi and Anzu combine to form the best episode yet.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hitomi cannot fail

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Beato Believer posted:

Hitomi is going to be a karoshi before she gets out of middle school.

It's like Saitama's training regime.

She's going to wind up dead or the greatest businesswoman ever. No middle ground.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The next episode title...

It's happening!

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Hitomi cannot fail

she literally can't

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
my favorite part of the last episode was hitomi deciding she'd make some bets if she was gonna be stuck there and probably making a tidy profit through careful picks

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Another amazing episode, and the title previewed for next week has me jumping for joy. Hitomi is the best.

I'm sad that this season won't have time to adapt the Best Hitomi Chapter, but hopeful that we'll get a second season that includes it.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Hopefully it's liked in Japan as much as it is over here. I've just seen universal praise for it.

Aug 24, 2011

Mentat Radnor posted:

Another amazing episode, and the title previewed for next week has me jumping for joy. Hitomi is the best.

I'm sad that this season won't have time to adapt the Best Hitomi Chapter, but hopeful that we'll get a second season that includes it.

english learning?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

English learning is far too much hitomi for one episode

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Pretty much all the Hitomi chapters and scenes are solid gold, barring a second season there isn't enough airtime left to get to them all.

Edit: gently caress, this is the anime thread, sorry purged spoilers.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Wait, was that girl fighting those monks in the first episode Mao? Is this season going to end with a joke that took 12 episodes to set up?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Look deep into your heart

Aug 24, 2011

for those keeping track, last week that unnamed bartender woman disappeared from the big scrolling spread of all characters in the intro, and this week also in the intro she is no longer in anzu's family's ramen shop or behind hitomi in hitomi's bar or shoving hitomi's face into a book

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 11, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So what's the joke to her disappearing?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

So what's the joke to her disappearing?

She's becoming less and less relevant to the narrative, partially since Hitomi is making her more and more surplus to requirements at her own bar.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

She's becoming less and less relevant to the narrative, partially since Hitomi is making her more and more surplus to requirements at her own bar.

Is she? Utako was never exactly central as is, and she appears to be as necessary to push Hitomi at the moment as ever since Hitomi wouldn't have moved out without her. Hitomi also basically supplanted Utako as a bartender from episode one, but doesn't appear to have taken any more responsibility or control at Song than that as of yet. Does Utako just get less important going forward or something? Cause it doesn't seem true so far to me.

tsob fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 11, 2018

Aug 24, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

tsob posted:

Is she? Utako was never exactly central as is

Hitomi also basically supplanted Utako as a bartender

answered your own question

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
That's not less relevant, because that's how she's introduced. To be less relevant, she'd need to have been doing more at some point within the bounds of the show, which she never has. She's still exactly as relevant as she was in episode 01 as far as I can tell.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

No because even if she was only "Woman bartender that listened to Nitta's troubles" she's not even that anymore. So by denying the only thing she was in the story you are left with an invisible person.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

where the red fern gropes posted:

for those keeping track, last week that unnamed bartender woman disappeared from the big scrolling spread of all characters in the intro, and this week also in the intro she is no longer in anzu's family's ramen shop or behind hitomi in hitomi's bar or shoving hitomi's face into a book

She's still shoving Hitomi's face into the contract. Her bullying Hitomi and Anzu, as well passing by Hina with the backpack are the last sightings of her.
I expect them to cry for no reason soon.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

I thought the joke with her disappearing from the parts of the OP she disappeared from was because they were teasing her as a love interest for Nitta, and when it went down in flames, she disappeared from those areas because you realize that's not actually going to happen.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Someone call up Hercule Poirot and so we can have him explain how Utako disappeared from this locked room of a joke to you goobers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The joke has already been explained several times and I still don't even think it's real. Not the punch line, which probably is meant to be exactly what people are saying; the setup I mean, because I still don't think that Utako is any less relevant than she ever was. It's obviously working for some people but not me. More explanation isn't going to change that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh hello Poirot, yes yes. Got a big case here for you. Disappearing woman in the intro! Her name, Utako. Nobody can figure it out! Police ain't taking it seriously, saying where is the crime?!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief posted:

I thought the joke with her disappearing from the parts of the OP she disappeared from was because they were teasing her as a love interest for Nitta, and when it went down in flames, she disappeared from those areas because you realize that's not actually going to happen.

In the ending we have hitmoi completely replacing Utako. She's in the exact pose Utako had and everything. Like yeah Utako disappearing from the OP in the end could easily be symbolic of her not being the promised mother figure for Hina the show initially led you to belive but it the ending its definitely that she's been completely replaced.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
having gone back to watch the first minute of the first episode, it looks like an older Mao is doing the fighting. As she thinks, 'Hang on Hina-chan' and then it says 'three years earlier...'

So all the rest of the story seems to have been one long flashback. Perhaps Mao has the ability to erase people from time, and that's why Utako is slowly disappearing. Or the medicine I had to take is kicking in and I really need to go lie down now.

I just hope the anime gets a good ending and I don't have to go read the manga, because I'd like a second season of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Utako is the worst, which makes her the best, and I think it's unfortunate that she's being sidelined.

• Locked thread