Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Hinamatsuri is an anime adaptation of the beloved comedy manga by Masao Ohtake. Hinamatsuri is also the name of Girl's Day, a holiday that takes place on March 3rd in Japan.

The 12 episode anime is being lovingly produced by Studio feel. (Tsuki ga Kirei, SNAFU 2, Please tell me! Galko-chan, Dagashi Kashi) and is currently airing weekly on Crunchyroll every Saturday Friday.

Website
MAL / ANN
Director: Oikawa, Kei
Series Composition: Ohchi, Keiichirou
OP: "Distance" by Rie Murakawa
ED: "Sake to Ikura to 893 to Musume" by Yoshiki Nakajima
Comedy, Sci-Fi, Slice of Life, Supernatural
PV

This thread is for discussing the anime! Please keep manga spoilers to a minimum and always use spoiler tags, or better yet discuss them in the wonderful manga thread. Thanks!

Our story takes place in modern Japan, where a powerful psychokinetic esper girl named Hina suddenly appears in the swank bachelor pad apartment of yakuza middle-manager Yoshifumi Nitta. Under threat of supernatural physical force, Nitta caves into her demands for clothes, food, shelter, stuffed animals, school attendance, and more food, and quickly finds himself falling into the role of adoptive father.

Characters:

Hina - VA: Tanaka, Takako

She's an esper with vast psychokinetic powers. Hina teleported into Nitta's apartment in some sort of future tech stasis capsule. She hasn't talked about the place where she came from.

Likes: salmon roe (ikura), being lazy, school lunches, not being ordered around by adults

Nitta, Yoshifumi - VA: Nakajima, Yoshiki

Nitta is a fairly successful yakuza member who spends his money on art, booze, and women. His fatherly instincts have come out in full force now that he has to care for a middle school girl by himself.

Anzu - VA: Murakawa, Rie

Anzu is another psychokinetic girl who seems to have been sent to hunt down Hina by some organization from the same place that both she and Hina came from.

Mishima, Hitomi - VA: Hondo, Kaede

Hitomi is a normal middle school girl, the kind you could find anywhere.

Dislikes: saying "no" to anyone's requests

Utako - VA: Hikasa, Yoko . . . holy poo poo everybody, it's Mio!

Utako is the owner and bartender of "Little Song", a bar frequented by Nitta and many salarymen.

Likes: money, cheap and highly skilled employees, good fathers

??? - VA: Ozawa, Ari

This mysterious badass opened the show by defeating a handful of martial artists with nothing but a creepy log doll. Who is she, and why is she fighting to get to Hina three years after the rest of our story?

The Yakuza Family

Oyaji - VA: Shibata, Hidekatsu

Godfather of this yakuza group.

Kiyoshi Baba - VA: Koyama, Tsuyoshi

AKA "Kashira", he's the second in command who gives orders to Nitta.

Sabu - VA: Kawanishi, Kengo

Sabu is Nitta's underling. Never opens his eyes, and doesn't appreciate good ramen. :colbert:

Ikura (salmon roe, or "red caviar")

Traditional Japanese preparation of this dish is to marinate fresh salmon roe in soy sauce, mirin, and sake, and then serve over rice or as sushi.

あいた, or "Aita!" is a Japanese exclamation of pain - VA: entire cast

Mentat Radnor fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

The focus on the bowls of ikura in the OP is incredible. Like does she actually fall asleep with a bowl next to her lmao

I love it, especially because it keeps the manga theme where every volume's cover has ikura on it in various forms.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Meme Emulator posted:

Heres a homegrown salmoe roe vid straight from the united states of america.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mu0CT-pcFc

Is this a fetish video? Those squishing noises combined with the dude's attempt at ASMR voice . . . :stonk:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Today's episode was another triumph, in which:

Being Anzu is suffering, because she is such a good girl (and also because of Utako).

Being Hitomi is suffering with a decent paycheck, because she is such a good girl (and also because of Utako).

Being Hina is surprisingly easy, despite her being a little poo poo.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Both of this episode's segments were hilarious. All of the characters bounce off each other in such a great way, and the VAs knocked it out of the park (especially Hitomi's).

I think Hina's part in the TV gag was one of the first jokes that had me in tears when reading the manga so I'm really glad they nailed it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

"How much does this feast cost?" Oh gosh that's heartbreaking.

What a great episode. I laughed at the drunk Nitta family and poor dumb Hina doing her best (ju-san sai deeeees~), and then I cried along with Anzu for the homeless dudes. I can't remember seeing much (or any) portrayal of Japan's homeless in other manga or anime, but I really like the Hinamatsuri author's very human and sympathetic take on their characters.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Tokyo Godfathers is pretty much the one I'd point to for a decent portrayal of Japanese homeless people.

That's been on my "to watch" list for ages, so thanks for the reminder. I'm gonna make time to watch it this weekend.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

drat that's a fun episode.

I knew they had to get to Cast Away with Mao soon, but I was losing hope for the amazing yakuza chapters getting adapted. I'm very pleased, they pulled off all the jokes perfectly.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Another amazing episode, and the title previewed for next week has me jumping for joy. Hitomi is the best.

I'm sad that this season won't have time to adapt the Best Hitomi Chapter, but hopeful that we'll get a second season that includes it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

That was a great way to wrap up the season. I love that Nitta's flashback montage of the times he spent with Hina included a blip of Anzu.

I guess season 2 will be entirely after the time skip? It's a shame that we won't get some excellent bits like (early manga)the hostage situation at the school where everyone eats lunch with the gunman and Hitomi's Florida Vacation unless it's in an OVA or something, but I'm mostly pumped that they set up the inevitability of there being a:

Sindai posted:

Season 2 :f5:

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/feel_feel/status/1011187952595005441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

MJP posted:

So where in the manga does the anime leave off? I don't wanna wait for season 2, I wanna get in on the Hina train while it's still running.

The anime jumped all over the place, for instance it adapted chapter 38 in episode 8, chapter 36 in episode 9, and chapter 32 in episode 11. The last chapter that the anime adapted was chapter 47 where Mao and the Rocksion dude meet, but if you started there in the manga you would be missing a whole lot of hilarious chapters that the anime skipped. In other words:

Meme Emulator posted:

Read it all.

• Locked thread