Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

esperterra posted:

It stands to reason he was probably a teenager at the time too tbf. I would also put Chabert in my pros section if only bc of how I felt about 16yo Chabert when I was 9.

I said that Heather Graham was a reason to watch it, clearly a reference to her physical hotness. He responded with Lacey Chabert who will always be 15/16 in the film. I mean, I was kind of kidding but come one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lacey Chabert's hotness was 1000% a reason I watched it so much growing up, so I get what he was going for.

Heather Graham too ofc.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

esperterra posted:

Lacey Chabert's hotness was 1000% a reason I watched it so much growing up, so I get what he was going for.

Heather Graham too ofc.

The space suits from the movie were much hotter.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

fist4jesus posted:

The space suits from the movie were much hotter.

:agreed:

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

Just watch The 100 instead of this big fat mess of a show.

If you give the people in "Lost in Space" a ballistic missile with a warhead they would try to get the fuel, fail, lose the warhead in the process and have the missile fall on a person or two - maybe throw in a chariot. At the end of the episode the robot finds the warhead, turns it into fuel, heals the wounded person(s) and highfives the little boy.

If you would do that in "The 100" the team that would get the missile would fire it onto themselves to make a point and show them that they mean business and are not to be fooled with. The survivors would smear themselves in feces while shouting "HEDDA HEDDA" and then commit mass suicide by jumping off a cliff. The other team would stuff their kids into cannons and fire them against a mountain to test the electric cabling of the fire mechanism. Some wild people would make wild grunting noises.

There is a subtile difference here!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I was pretty meh on the show, but I'll give it another chance for Season 2 if it gets renewed. The setup seems like it might be more interesting - they're in space, they're not stuck on StupidWorld, the other survivors aren't annoying us

PaybackJack posted:

At first I thought that was cool, then I realized that's the VOY-era uniform and just shook my head.

Was DS9's uniform, too. she's quoting Janeway, though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 17, 2018

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Couple of questions since I watched the first couple episodes while half-asleep the other night and don't feel like going back to rewatch them.

1. How old is Judy supposed to be? She looks 14 but the way everybody, especially Don, treats her makes me think she's meant to be older. There was mention of her missing her prom, but that doesn't mean much in the context of kids being an actual part of a scientific team on a mission to AC.
2. Does Smith have an actual plan or objective she's trying to accomplish? I think some of this was covered in ep2, but I don't remember specifics. As of episode 6 it seems like she just likes to gently caress with people.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Judy is 18 or 19 iirc.

e: Smith just wants to avoid getting locked up again

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Inspector 34 posted:

Couple of questions since I watched the first couple episodes while half-asleep the other night and don't feel like going back to rewatch them.

1. How old is Judy supposed to be? She looks 14 but the way everybody, especially Don, treats her makes me think she's meant to be older. There was mention of her missing her prom, but that doesn't mean much in the context of kids being an actual part of a scientific team on a mission to AC.
2. Does Smith have an actual plan or objective she's trying to accomplish? I think some of this was covered in ep2, but I don't remember specifics. As of episode 6 it seems like she just likes to gently caress with people.

1. She says she's 18 at some point
2. No, to paraphrase a D&D paladin parlance, she's Chaotic Stupid

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
She wants to go back to the Resolute with the robot as her bodyguard so she doesn't get jailed or executed. She explains this.

They really should've made Judy older.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lycus posted:

She wants to go back to the Resolute with the robot as her bodyguard so she doesn't get jailed or executed. She explains this.

And repeatedly sabotages any efforts to get back to the Resolute even when they wouldn't be in conflict with that goal

If it wasn't for the Guano Ex Machina she'd be dead for no better reason than being evil for the sake of being evil

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
That turn of knocking out Maureen was dumb, but still. That was the goal.

The most confusing thing was not dragging the alien ship back to the Jupiter for study in the first place, eliminating the "necessity" of that.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 17, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Inspector 34 posted:

She is shown to be a survivor basically. She is willing to say or do whatever she thinks will save her in the moment. loving with people in certain circumstances could benefit her like trying to implicate other people for her crimes to make her more trustworthy and eliminate threats.

My issue with her character is that she decides she wants the robot to be on her side so she enacts a 30 point plan, effortlessly manipulating more than a dozen people and only gets caught by random luck. She is like the Einstein of liars as she

- Convinces Wil to move the robot
- Convinces the robot Wil will abandon it
- Convinces Wil to call the robot back to the camp
- Gets Wil to call the robot back in such a way that Wil will also have to give the robot back it's murderous tendencies
- Meets with Angela to assert herself as a therapist
- Hide a gun so that specifically Angela finds it
- Meets with Angela again to have a therapy session where she makes her want to kill the robot
- Convince Wil leave the moment Angela comes to confront the robot so that he can not stop it from defending itself
- Cause Wil to have to destroy or abandon the robot because of the murderous tendencies she manipulated him into giving it and also not being present to stop
- Mixing in countless small moments where she steers everyone with slight nudges in the perfect way to influence their actions
- Capitalizing on the previous seeding of doubt in the alien robot, fix it and become it's new master

I'll admit though that this level of plate spinning becomes more plausible when you realize how dumb everyone else is. The Robinsons are shown to be a completely transparent family where they share most things and vote on them democratically but the parents leave a psychopath locked in the ship without telling everyone that she is there or what she did. When Judy gets the proof at the real Smith's Jupiter she instead just goes to talk to the dead kid's family and doesn't come back for an entire day to finally tell her mother. When they manage to knock her out they just leave her and try to run away.

So how much of it is impossibly intricate plotting and how much of it is tricking idiots?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's more like Forrest Gump in space

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
They really need to dial Penny back a notch or two.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm on Ep 8, I liked when John was attacked in the hallway and responded with "Dammit, Peter!"

Also the pop quiz simulation.

But yeah, turn off your brains to enjoy this show. It's fun sci-fi.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

One way they could've cut way down on Smith's convoluted plotting is just have her plan be to bond with Will. Then she would've figured she had protection through Will's affection. Manipulate family drama to isolate Will, then be his friend.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 18, 2018

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Lycus posted:

Yeah and I explained that I was half asleep and missed a lot, sometimes we all miss blatant explanations. That's ok though.

The only things I really remember about Smith from the first couple episodes are that she is not who she claims to be and that she can't stop won't stop loving with people. Did not remember the Robot factoring into her plans. That makes her make a little more sense in the last couple episodes I've watched, but not a lot. This is also ok though, because most of the stuff these people are getting up to doesn't make a lot of sense either.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Smith is the very definition of an unreliable narrator. She claims to be a good person that just wants to start over but everyone keeps getting so judgey about her murdering a few people and god why won't they just leave her alone to start over and maybe if I have a killer robot they won't pester me and even then when the robot kills everything on the ship it won't be me doing evil things it'll be the robot and then we'll get to the colony and I definitely won't have to murder everyone there and I can just be a farmer and

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She's a super annoying villain.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

It sucks because her flashback scene with her sister was fun. She needed more dark humor and less moustache twirling.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
What I don't get is (episode 2?) why she ditched Don and Angela at the start. Instead of staying with the only humans who she knew for sure were alive on the surface, she decided to set out on her own into a huge storm that she knew was coming, while also loving over two people who had absolutely no reason to not help her at that point.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

misguided rage posted:

What I don't get is (episode 2?) why she ditched Don and Angela at the start. Instead of staying with the only humans who she knew for sure were alive on the surface, she decided to set out on her own into a huge storm that she knew was coming, while also loving over two people who had absolutely no reason to not help her at that point.

I think there was some conversation between Don and Smith just before they got to that stopping point about how they might be able to stay just ahead of the storm and make it back to their ship if it wasn't for Angela. So she grabbed the flare gun just in case and then took off.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

TMMadman posted:

I think there was some conversation between Don and Smith just before they got to that stopping point about how they might be able to stay just ahead of the storm and make it back to their ship if it wasn't for Angela. So she grabbed the flare gun just in case and then took off.
But she was the one who convinced him to take Angela with them in the first place??!?!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

misguided rage posted:

But she was the one who convinced him to take Angela with them in the first place??!?!

I think the point was that he was going to grab Angela either way, because he's a softie that pretends to be hard, and that protesting was just part of the "character" she was playing. So she wouldn't have actually given a poo poo if he left Angela.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 18, 2018

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Professor Shark posted:

She's a super annoying villain.

It would be nice if maybe someone would have questioned her or at least maybe done something a bit more drastic after finding out she was faking?
Also her constant trapezoid mouth look annoys me for reasons I can't explain.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
I think the point is these characters are all loving dumb and should all be sucked into the black hole. Except for the robot and Debbie. They need their own show.

I just finished the episode where Will makes Robot jump off the cliff and that’s when the show got too dumb for even mindless background viewing. His character makes me hate all children. Seriously, you feel responsible for Robot so you murder it? Way to go, George. “I can’t control Lennie so I guess my only choice is to kill him!”

I think I hate this show now. Does it get any better?!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The real problem with the scene is the colony leader not being there and just taking Will's word for it after he's hid the robot before.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lycus posted:

The real problem with the scene is the colony leader not being there and just taking Will's word for it after he's hid the robot before.

Hey, I didn't vote for him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

Hey, I didn't vote for him.

How's he still in charge after trying to gently caress off and bail on everyone?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I only made it like 4 episodes through (until now) but whoever that rear end in a top hat was in charge sucked poo poo and I wish they'd just murder him or something cuz goddamn what a shithead.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004

Braincloud posted:

I think the point is these characters are all loving dumb and should all be sucked into the black hole. Except for the robot and Debbie. They need their own show.

I just finished the episode where Will makes Robot jump off the cliff and that’s when the show got too dumb for even mindless background viewing. His character makes me hate all children. Seriously, you feel responsible for Robot so you murder it? Way to go, George. “I can’t control Lennie so I guess my only choice is to kill him!”

I just skipped a lot because the writing was so terrible and no it does not.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

How's he still in charge after trying to gently caress off and bail on everyone?

You can't think too hard about this show or it falls apart long before then.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

You can't think too hard about this show or it falls apart long before then.

Seriously, I think that's the problem with a lot of people watching this show.

Who the gently caress cares? All television is bad. You are supposed to shut off your brain and enjoy the pretty moving pictures.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Like I'm a messenger and I drive around all day for a living and I couldn't just help but laugh when their decision during the geyser field was to have the guy get out of the emergency hatch, crawl to the back and then take like a minute or more (I forget how many times they said the times during that scene) to try and plug the trailer connection back in.

Except, if you knew anything about driving (and I don't even drive a big truck), then you'd know it would have taken like 10, maybe 15 seconds, total to come to a complete stop (opening the doors as you stop), have someone jump out, plug the connection back in, jump back in the vehicle and then get back up to speed again. And since the unplugged connection is what is supposed to have made them just miss clearing the geyser field because it caused the vehicle to slow down from top speed for however long it was (again somewhere between 1-2 minutes). If they had just stopped and plugged the trailer back in, they almost certainly would have cleared the geyser field with plenty of time to spare.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

The writers watched Fury Road and wanted to do stuff like that.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Lycus posted:

The writers watched Fury Road and wanted to do stuff like that.

Writers? There are no writers for this show!

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Braincloud posted:

Will continues to do extremely stupid stuff, so you will only hate him more if you continue. He's up there with the kid from the strain on the list of children that needs to die to make the show better. At least the strain delivers.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Why is Will's box springs made out of handicapped bathroom railing that's the last thing I'd want bouncing around my metal bedroom with me when the ship hits some space turbulence also if The Hub is where you can survive even getting hit by a meteor because I guess you don't have bones in space or something but after you survive why do you have to dismantle the dining room table to get out you're still gonna need a place to eat dinner after the end of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

criscodisco posted:

Why is Will's box springs made out of handicapped bathroom railing that's the last thing I'd want bouncing around my metal bedroom with me when the ship hits some space turbulence also if The Hub is where you can survive even getting hit by a meteor because I guess you don't have bones in space or something but after you survive why do you have to dismantle the dining room table to get out you're still gonna need a place to eat dinner after the end of the world

Hey this has nothing to do with the show, but how are your cats?

• Locked thread