Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

I only made it like 4 episodes through (until now) but whoever that rear end in a top hat was in charge sucked poo poo and I wish they'd just murder him or something cuz goddamn what a shithead.

Victor's character was a little weird.

They started by setting him up as this antagonist that wants to swing his dick around and start barking orders at people while demanding everything goes through him but then literally everyone just tells him to go gently caress himself and does whatever they want to do anyway.

My impression is he was a complication for The Robinsons who we had gotten to know by that point and we weren't supposed to like the guy immediately yelling at Maureen for "visiting her friends" without consulting him. Then he just stands in the background ineffectually after being shut down by children repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Victor's character was a little weird.

They started by setting him up as this antagonist that wants to swing his dick around and start barking orders at people while demanding everything goes through him but then literally everyone just tells him to go gently caress himself and does whatever they want to do anyway.

My impression is he was a complication for The Robinsons who we had gotten to know by that point and we weren't supposed to like the guy immediately yelling at Maureen for "visiting her friends" without consulting him. Then he just stands in the background ineffectually after being shut down by children repeatedly.

If only that was all he did. I don't know if you're not far enough along yet, but later he learns from his kid (who learned from Penny) that the planet is going to get sucked into a black hole*, he crams all the rocket fuel on his own ship and tries to take off and leave everyone else stranded. But the Robinsons stop him and everyone turns on him and he's locked up and poo poo but then by the last episode he's captaining the mothership and rescuing everyone. .

Plot holes you could drive a Chariot through in this show, but it was fun.

* even though this seemingly has almost no effect on the planet at all

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I must have missed him being locked up, that didn't happen did it? They just stopped him and said Maureen is in charge.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The planet isn't going to get sucked into the black hole, it just forced the planets orbit to come too close to the sun which causes the planet to have all sorts of disruptions.

In the final episode, before the Resolute shows up John says maybe they can head back to the planet after it passes the sun. I'm not sure how that would work but maybe the planet burns for a month or two as it nears the sun but then an entirely new cycle of life restarts as the planet moves along the rest of it's orbit.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TMMadman posted:

The planet isn't going to get sucked into the black hole, it just forced the planets orbit to come too close to the sun which causes the planet to have all sorts of disruptions.

In the final episode, before the Resolute shows up John says maybe they can head back to the planet after it passes the sun. I'm not sure how that would work but maybe the planet burns for a month or two as it nears the sun but then an entirely new cycle of life restarts as the planet moves along the rest of it's orbit.

That xenobiologist said the trees all had one ring on them so I think the idea is that once a year the entire planet is immolated and the lush forests and lifeforms all come back extremely quickly.

Maybe the growing season for the trees and the "Year" for that planet are an earth decade or something.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Azhais posted:

I must have missed him being locked up, that didn't happen did it? They just stopped him and said Maureen is in charge.

Yeah, I don't recall him being locked up. Just Smith.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

TMMadman posted:

Hey this has nothing to do with the show, but how are your cats?

They're assholes and every day that they don't kill and eat me is a blessing

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
His running away wasn't the issue that caused Maureen to take over and stop him, it was that he didn't have enough fuel and wasn't listening to her and was going to get his group killed. His plan to get off the planet and contact the Resolute then bring back help was fine; because that was the very next thing they tried to do. He was taken out of power for being bad at math and not listening to super science mom, not for loving everyone over.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'd drive one of those chariots to work everyday with a big poo poo eating grin on my face.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Now that they have at least two of those things built maybe next season's budget can go to the writers/casting a new Wil/general effects budget

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Now that they have at least two of those things built maybe next season's budget can go to the writers/casting a new Wil/general effects budget

Will is great and the effects and well above TV level.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Wil is cancer and imagine the effects if they don't have to custom built two functional cars + a trailer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I hope the robot comes back next season

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I hope they run across a crazed/timewarped Resolute that went all Lord of the Flies.

The Resolute had traveled a trillion lightyears or whatever to that planet with all of the Jupiters in the first place and even if the Robot didn't steal their FTL engine I got the impression humans weren't exactly able to just warp around with it and instead could just launch themselves at something relatively fast. So they aren't exactly just going to open a wormhole and go home and are probably stuck out there hundreds of years from Alpha Centauri.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I hope they run across a crazed/timewarped Resolute that went all Lord of the Flies.

The Resolute had traveled a trillion lightyears or whatever to that planet with all of the Jupiters in the first place and even if the Robot didn't steal their FTL engine I got the impression humans weren't exactly able to just warp around with it and instead could just launch themselves at something relatively fast. So they aren't exactly just going to open a wormhole and go home and are probably stuck out there hundreds of years from Alpha Centauri.

I don't think it's possible to travel a trillion light years. My PBS space time sense is tingling.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rocksicles posted:

I'd drive one of those chariots to work everyday with a big poo poo eating grin on my face.

Did they mention having a Space Pod?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

I hope the aliens fired whoever programmed their killer-robots. That robot changed allegiance at the drop of a hat, or you know at the drop of a robot.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm on the fifth episode and the idea of a predator the size of a lion surviving on moths makes me laugh.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I'm on the fifth episode and the idea of a predator the size of a lion surviving on moths makes me laugh.

Oh ye of little faith

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/yellowstone-bears-actually-eat-moths-for-food-3537201/

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I like the idea of a whole food chain evolving every year or so when the black hole eats the surface of the planet (instead of the star whose shoulder it's sitting off of) also did the 3d gun printer also print the bullets and the gunpowder is it supposed to be like a star trek replicator they should have just printed a flamethrower when Judy or penny or whoever got stuck in the magic freeze ice

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bears would eat a license plate if it had some mayo on it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

criscodisco posted:

they should have just printed a flamethrower when Judy or penny or whoever got stuck in the magic freeze ice
How? The ship was sunk then.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 20, 2018

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Lycus posted:

How? The ship was sunk then.

Sounds like it would be on par with the rest of the show’s writing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Braincloud posted:

Sounds like it would be on par with the rest of the show’s writing.

You would think that if a show's premise is a family that is "lost in space" and they only have ten episodes, they would have gotten lost a lot sooner than literally the last minute of the last episode.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Well they were lost from the beginning since the Resolute was thrown to an uncharted galaxy, they are just double lost since their ship is now randomly FTL jumping.

I remember the Resolute captain's broadcast saying that they were going to resume course for Alpha Centauri and everyone cheering but I don't see how their 4 Lightyear cargo hauler that apparently takes days/weeks to make a round trip is supposed to deal with being a million lightyears off course in a completely different galaxy.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 20, 2018

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The Jupiter had no idea where they were, but maybe the Resolute had better scanners? Did they ever say the Resolute didn't know where they were either?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I guess not but the people on the ground seemed to have a pretty good idea how far they were based on the stars.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's not making a whole lot of sense.though. Trillions of light years away puts you in another galaxy, so looking at the stars only tells you were you aren't, by a factor of fucktons.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe they've mapped the stars of other galaxies by then

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
But kept the packaging of Oreos the exact same

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

IRQ posted:

I guess not but the people on the ground seemed to have a pretty good idea how far they were based on the stars.

I doubt anyone but the Robinsons know they're in a different galaxy and given the context of the show they never bothered telling anyone and nobody on the Resolute has looked out a window

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

That's not making a whole lot of sense.though. Trillions of light years away puts you in another galaxy, so looking at the stars only tells you were you aren't, by a factor of fucktons.

Which would tell you all you really need to know, but on the other hand....

Azhais posted:

I doubt anyone but the Robinsons know they're in a different galaxy and given the context of the show they never bothered telling anyone and nobody on the Resolute has looked out a window

Yeah it's this show so that's plausible enough.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think it's possible to travel a trillion light years. My PBS space time sense is tingling.

Maybe not in a straight line, but if you go just cruise around the perimeter for a while I think it could work. Also time is a flat circle, etc...

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Jesus, some of you people really get off on hating this bland, family-fun show.

Really wish they had gone for a bit more of a diverse cast. Would’ve loved a whole episode following Hiroki’s family around digging for alien poop and making fun of people in Japanese.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Jesus, some of you people really get off on hating this bland, family-fun show.

Really wish they had gone for a bit more of a diverse cast. Would’ve loved a whole episode following Hiroki’s family around digging for alien poop and making fun of people in Japanese.

I didn't hate it, I just want everyone to die a fiery death except Debbie and Shang Tsung.

Or just fire all the writers and try again for season 2.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I don't mind bland shows in general, but I feel like when a show is Sci-Fi it's automatically polarized to be better or worse in my mind because it's carrying the flag for the whole genre. I don't like the saying "anything worth doing is worth doing well" but it's how I feel about Sci-fi shows.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Has there ever been a sci-fi show that “did it right”?

Even BSG had some pretty horrible stretches.

Enjoy the chicken and the fact that Penny didn’t just take back douchey poetry kid just because he half-heartedly apologized after she saved his life.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rocksicles posted:

Would'nt trillions of lightyears basically put you on the other side of the universe?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would'nt trillions of lightyears basically put you on the other side of the universe?

Definitely. The farthest known galaxy is 13.3 billion light years away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

criscodisco posted:

I like the idea of a whole food chain evolving every year or so when the black hole eats the surface of the planet (instead of the star whose shoulder it's sitting off of) also did the 3d gun printer also print the bullets and the gunpowder is it supposed to be like a star trek replicator they should have just printed a flamethrower when Judy or penny or whoever got stuck in the magic freeze ice

The replicator has lockouts that prevent weapons from being made without admin approval. The Robot was just able to get around them.

• Locked thread