Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Quinton posted:

I just wish they had spent a bit of their budget on hooking the writers up with a science advisor or two.

I mean, sure, this is more space-opera-y than hard-sci-fi-ish, but episode one is largely occupied by completely imaginary physics of water.

Look, I'm willing to suspend some disbelief around alien tech or FTL drives or whatnot, but water freezing and thawing is not a mystery.

I actually enjoyed the season overall, even though there was a lot of clunkiness, but the lazy writing around anything remotely science-y and the constant need for extreme peril with a short countdown to death or doom was pretty infuriating. Being stranded on an unknown planet offers plenty of danger and risk without going crazy all the way through the planet is going to be rendered uninhabitable by a black hole in a matter of weeks!!! -- I mean, seriously, what are the odds of that?

I thought the Robinsons were okay -- believable dysfunctional, if you will -- the supporting characters did their jobs, and Dr Smith suffered from not being dialed back a bit from the original series -- she was just way too cardboard villain for a show that seemed to be trying to be a bit more complex.

With all of the junk science being thrown around the most unbelievable thing to me is that Doctor Smith is able to so perfectly manipulate literally everyone.

I'm fine with two humans activating a robot spaceship with their palm prints. I'm fine with an alien artificial intelligence having the mental capacity of a child. But a ratty small time crook that basically has a literal superpower of mind control because she knows how to cry on command? That's the line. She can virtually make wishes and have them come true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I might criticize this show but there is never enough science fiction so I'll take what I can get. It might not be as good as The Expanse or Westworld but those shows don't run year round either. 6/10.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 17, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Inspector 34 posted:

2. Does Smith have an actual plan or objective she's trying to accomplish? I think some of this was covered in ep2, but I don't remember specifics. As of episode 6 it seems like she just likes to gently caress with people.

She is shown to be a survivor basically. She is willing to say or do whatever she thinks will save her in the moment. loving with people in certain circumstances could benefit her like trying to implicate other people for her crimes to make her more trustworthy and eliminate threats.

My issue with her character is that she decides she wants the robot to be on her side so she enacts a 30 point plan, effortlessly manipulating more than a dozen people and only gets caught by random luck. She is like the Einstein of liars as she

- Convinces Wil to move the robot
- Convinces the robot Wil will abandon it
- Convinces Wil to call the robot back to the camp
- Gets Wil to call the robot back in such a way that Wil will also have to give the robot back it's murderous tendencies
- Meets with Angela to assert herself as a therapist
- Hide a gun so that specifically Angela finds it
- Meets with Angela again to have a therapy session where she makes her want to kill the robot
- Convince Wil leave the moment Angela comes to confront the robot so that he can not stop it from defending itself
- Cause Wil to have to destroy or abandon the robot because of the murderous tendencies she manipulated him into giving it and also not being present to stop
- Mixing in countless small moments where she steers everyone with slight nudges in the perfect way to influence their actions
- Capitalizing on the previous seeding of doubt in the alien robot, fix it and become it's new master

I'll admit though that this level of plate spinning becomes more plausible when you realize how dumb everyone else is. The Robinsons are shown to be a completely transparent family where they share most things and vote on them democratically but the parents leave a psychopath locked in the ship without telling everyone that she is there or what she did. When Judy gets the proof at the real Smith's Jupiter she instead just goes to talk to the dead kid's family and doesn't come back for an entire day to finally tell her mother. When they manage to knock her out they just leave her and try to run away.

So how much of it is impossibly intricate plotting and how much of it is tricking idiots?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

I only made it like 4 episodes through (until now) but whoever that rear end in a top hat was in charge sucked poo poo and I wish they'd just murder him or something cuz goddamn what a shithead.

Victor's character was a little weird.

They started by setting him up as this antagonist that wants to swing his dick around and start barking orders at people while demanding everything goes through him but then literally everyone just tells him to go gently caress himself and does whatever they want to do anyway.

My impression is he was a complication for The Robinsons who we had gotten to know by that point and we weren't supposed to like the guy immediately yelling at Maureen for "visiting her friends" without consulting him. Then he just stands in the background ineffectually after being shut down by children repeatedly.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

TMMadman posted:

The planet isn't going to get sucked into the black hole, it just forced the planets orbit to come too close to the sun which causes the planet to have all sorts of disruptions.

In the final episode, before the Resolute shows up John says maybe they can head back to the planet after it passes the sun. I'm not sure how that would work but maybe the planet burns for a month or two as it nears the sun but then an entirely new cycle of life restarts as the planet moves along the rest of it's orbit.

That xenobiologist said the trees all had one ring on them so I think the idea is that once a year the entire planet is immolated and the lush forests and lifeforms all come back extremely quickly.

Maybe the growing season for the trees and the "Year" for that planet are an earth decade or something.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Now that they have at least two of those things built maybe next season's budget can go to the writers/casting a new Wil/general effects budget

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Wil is cancer and imagine the effects if they don't have to custom built two functional cars + a trailer.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
I hope they run across a crazed/timewarped Resolute that went all Lord of the Flies.

The Resolute had traveled a trillion lightyears or whatever to that planet with all of the Jupiters in the first place and even if the Robot didn't steal their FTL engine I got the impression humans weren't exactly able to just warp around with it and instead could just launch themselves at something relatively fast. So they aren't exactly just going to open a wormhole and go home and are probably stuck out there hundreds of years from Alpha Centauri.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Well they were lost from the beginning since the Resolute was thrown to an uncharted galaxy, they are just double lost since their ship is now randomly FTL jumping.

I remember the Resolute captain's broadcast saying that they were going to resume course for Alpha Centauri and everyone cheering but I don't see how their 4 Lightyear cargo hauler that apparently takes days/weeks to make a round trip is supposed to deal with being a million lightyears off course in a completely different galaxy.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 20, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Rocksicles posted:

I don't think it's possible to travel a trillion light years. My PBS space time sense is tingling.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Would'nt trillions of lightyears basically put you on the other side of the universe?

Rocksicles posted:

That's not making a whole lot of sense.though. Trillions of light years away puts you in another galaxy, so looking at the stars only tells you were you aren't, by a factor of fucktons.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Definitely. The farthest known galaxy is 13.3 billion light years away.

I thought when I said "trillions of lightyears or whatever" I was just over exaggerating because I remembered all those conversations where people throw around billion and trillion when talking about miles but I checked the start of Episode 3.

quote:

If this is Earth and This is Alpha Centauri (10-15 foot distance) Then we are......metaphorically maybe a....600 year drive away? Maybe?
Okay, so not metaphorically?
Trillions of Lightyears.

Since our closest neighboring galaxy is 2.5 million lightyears away a quick glimpse that you aren't in the Milky Way anymore would totally let you claim "We are millions of lightyears off course" but I'm pretty sure it's just bad science from the writers where "Millions" didn't seem like a big enough number when asking "How lost are we?" They wanted to raise the stakes and bumped it up to "trillions" not realizing Maureen couldn't possibly know that and it puts them 200x further away than the edge of the known universe.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

conventionalcat posted:

i never saw the original but put the first episode of this on in the background while i was falling asleep and i hated how much crying and whining there was. had to turn it down a few times. was expecting something chill like the orville. looks very pretty tho

I don't think "Isn't great to fall asleep to" is necessarily a negative for the show. They throw stuff at you like people almost dying while freaking out or ships exploding and crashing from orbit to try and keep you interested for the pilot. They are going to blare the music as someone dramatically does something.

Maybe watch COSMOS?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah I believe in the original series they were just lost space pioneers that had set out for the space frontier to stake a space claim and some people wanted to stop them. I checked the wiki because of course there is a wiki.

quote:

Aeolus 14 Umbra is the code name for an organization which attempted to sabotage the Jupiter program. It is implied that they are agents of a foreign nation who do not want the space colonization program of the United States to succeed.
The announcer at Alpha Control in "The Reluctant Stowaway" mentions other nations,., and in "The Derelict" the TV Announcer broadcasts that the Robot's premature activation was undoubtedly caused by agents of a foreign power. Whatever nation it is, it has full space capability, given Smith's belief that the ship seen in "The Derelict" was from Aeolus 14 Umbra, attempting to contact it.

It wasn't until the 98 movie where the stakes were raised to HUMANITY IS DYING but the bad guys wanted the last hope of humanity for themselves so they sabotaged the mission to save everyone

quote:

Global Sedition is an Earth-based organization. Its members disagree with the methods of the United Global Space Force. They are willing to commit acts of sabotage and terrorism in order to further their goals, to create their own Hypergate and reach Alpha Prime before the Jupiter Mission

quote:

The unproduced second film would have involved the Robinson's reaching Alpha Prime, only to discover the Sedition had already colonized that world.

So I'll give the 2018 series points for coming up with a more interesting idea. We shoot down some aliens and jack their poo poo and they try to take it back. Humanity isn't in danger of going extinct but Earth is now Detroit and most people trying to leave for Space Hawaii.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 21, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Merchandising!

Jar Jar was 1 year later.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 23, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

If they continue with none of the characters taking to each other about what's going on, I'm going to be pissed. How could the writers think it was a good idea to have a character find out something important and not bother to tell anyone else about it until it's too late?

I'd be fine with this if the ship was hit by a meteorite and the parents decided to not tell anyone because it hit something irreplaceable and caused a hull breach so they are stranded and also running out of oxygen facing certain death but they don't want to worry anyone. Then Wil can just get vented into outer space when he wanders through an unlocked door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The only way they can really take Smith if she is stuck with the same handful of people that know her poo poo already is to become a good guy. That's probably the best way to survive.

I guess they could always run into an alien race they can communicate with and then she will just flawlessly manipulate some alien bounty hunter or king into taking the Robinsons hostage and giving her the Jupiter 2.

The Zorglonians are a strictly honor based society that can not comprehend the concept of a con man. They never had Blark-Fron Oil salesmen in the Re'gla'ta expanse.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 3, 2018

• Locked thread