Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

Glazius posted:

"The boundary between worlds is gone -- oh wait, no, there it is."

What a scene. I was hoping we'd jump worlds or something but I guess Cortez has to be a bit more cryptic at us first.

You can't be a mysterious old man and give clear answers at the same time. At least, not the first time.

...At least, not the first two times.

I think we've only seen him twice so far, so he's batting a thousand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't mind obtuse puzzles once in a while. Rubbing everything in your inventory on everything else is a standard part of adventure gaming. At least things only light up if they do SOMETHING on an object.

Doing amusingly bad things to people who have done nothing to you is also standard for adventure gaming.

EDIT: Finally, the introduction is just about over. This is where the game starts to get really good.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 14, 2018

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
ah, Glory Road

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't mind obtuse puzzles once in a while. Rubbing everything in your inventory on everything else is a standard part of adventure gaming. At least things only light up if they do SOMETHING on an object.

The most annoying thing about this, though, is that you have to combine within your inventory before anything starts to work. With just 10 items, that's five times the effort every time you're guessing at what you might need to do with some world object. Granted, the highlight and the removal of used items helps, but it was not an auspicious start. On the other hand, that's probably the most nonsensical puzzle in the game, so at least they got it out of the way early.

Glad you kept with the book and not the movie, Bobbin. I was very heartened recently when two kids (of different ages) that I work with brought up the book and liked the book more than the movie too; you don't hear much about it and I'm glad it's still popular.

I actually own a softcover version of the book that has the two-color text and capitals, but it's in German. There may not be an English version like that. Also of note: Since the author's name means 'end' in German, and the book's title is Die Unendliche Geschichte, it's almost a pun suggesting the book is un-like him.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kangra posted:

The most annoying thing about this, though, is that you have to combine within your inventory before anything starts to work. With just 10 items, that's five times the effort every time you're guessing at what you might need to do with some world object. Granted, the highlight and the removal of used items helps, but it was not an auspicious start. On the other hand, that's probably the most nonsensical puzzle in the game, so at least they got it out of the way early.

The first thing Bobbin tried was the clamp all by itself. Using that got an attempt and "I can't reach it". Not a success, but enough to give you a place to start.

The inventory thing which bothered me the most about this game was that stupid friggin' organic plastic leaf. I think that thing sits in your inventory for half the game, and I still don't remember what the hell it's good for.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I like the fact that even with the (by current standards) awful graphics the janitor still has a lovingly-rendered plumber's crack.

cogito ergo incommo
Apr 2, 2010

The inventory thing which bothered me the most about this game was that stupid friggin' organic plastic leaf. I think that thing sits in your inventory for half the game, and I still don't remember what the hell it's good for.

Isn't it a thing where it gives you concept art or something? Not really necessary at all?

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

cogito ergo incommo posted:

Isn't it a thing where it gives you concept art or something? Not really necessary at all?

Indeed. It is used to unlock the "secret book" (concept art. bloopers etc.) in the menu. So it is extremely necessary.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

cogito ergo incommo posted:

How is one supposed to know that the first time playing though? Just because the plant is hard to miss?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I don't recall the game ever giving you context for that organic leaf, it's just there for April to pick up. Easter egg for seasoned adventure gamers who try everything on everything to see if it advances the plot?

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

OutofSight posted:

Indeed. It is used to unlock the "secret book" (concept art. bloopers etc.) in the menu. So it is extremely necessary.

The Book of Secrets unlocks when you finish the game - this is a not-as-necessary easter egg to get it early.

So yeah, I suppose it's a reward for all of the point-and-click veterans who know to try everything on everything just in case. After the duck-clamp-clothesline, there are clearly no limits.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Somewhere I have a box copy of this game sitting in a bin. I'm now wondering if it would actually still install and work properly on a Win 7 box if I were to dig it out. The odds are poor, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth searching and trying anyway, instead of waiting and hoping for a sale soon on GoG or Steam.

EDIT: Found the box, but the required OS of Win 95/98/2000/ME suggests that it's not worth bothering.

I would be interested in knowing what version Bobbin Threadbare is using, and what hoops he had to jump through to get it working.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 18, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Somewhere I have a box copy of this game sitting in a bin. I'm now wondering if it would actually still install and work properly on a Win 7 box if I were to dig it out. The odds are poor, but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth searching and trying anyway, instead of waiting and hoping for a sale soon on GoG or Steam.

EDIT: Found the box, but the required OS of Win 95/98/2000/ME suggests that it's not worth bothering.

Getting the the old graphic engine to run is less of a problem with compatibility mode, but the audio does not work properly anymore with modern computers (serious delays in dialogues and sometimes glitches out completely)
GOG version has fixed the audio problems of course.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I would be interested in knowing what version Bobbin Threadbare is using, and what hoops he had to jump through to get it working.

I'm using a Steam copy. I got it and Dreamfall when they went on sale to coincide with the Dreamfall Chapters release. I've still got my old CDs in a box in my room, but I like that I don't have to swap out four discs this way.

As for the hoops, the Steam version works fine on its own, but only at the original resolution and it stretches to fit the 9:16 aspect ratio. Fraps records the original resolution and ratio, so that was fine, but neither it nor OBS could record the video sequences. So I got dgVoodoo and doubled the resolution for better image clarity, and this also straightened out the ratio and let me record the cutscenes. As a bonus, Fraps records the black bars on the sides so all I have to do to make the footage compatible with my reviews is downscale to 1280x720. However, dgVoodoo's antialiasing would leave big pixel trails behind the 3d models and especially the mouse, so I added a second program called ReShade. ReShade can do a lot of different video processing things, but all I need it for is the more sophisticated antialiasing it can handle. That minimized the pixel trails, and since I'm downscaling you often don't even see them in the final video.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 08:53 on May 18, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The complete and utter lack of subtlety about "magic good, technology bad" is, in all probability, the worst thing about TLJ.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The sarcastic sea captain is great. Almost as great as the talking bird.

Bobbin Threadbare, is "Babylon 5" on your list of review topics? Have you seen that series? I think I actually spotted a subtle reference to the show later on in this game. Or maybe the reference is something which the show also was making a reference to.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 21, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

The complete and utter lack of subtlety about "magic good, technology bad" is, in all probability, the worst thing about TLJ.

I don't really get that impression. Arcadia is a land full of backwards people living under monopolistic guilds that pass nonsensical restrictions, they worry about looming invasions and practice casual racism, magic allows one rear end in a top hat to hold all the ships in the harbor hostage, superstitions cause people to avoid doing perfectly reasonable things, and the people often look at Stark and think how much their lives would be better with less chaos and more technology. Arcadia has its positives, but it has plenty of downsides to go with it.

Bobbin Threadbare, is "Babylon 5" on your list of review topics? Have you seen that series? I think I actually spotted a subtle reference to the show later on in this game. Or maybe the reference is something which the show also was making a reference to.

No one's requested it, and I've never seen it.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 21, 2018

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

The nice thing about technology over magic is, generally, technology is more accessible and usable by the average person. Perhaps only trained or innately talented folk can use a wand to fling fireballs around, but any old moron can press a button to launch missiles or pull a trigger on a gun. Outside of some settings that use talismanic magic, or don't require any deep understanding to perform it, the average magic-user requires years of training to understand magic before they can really use it. A person with a gun can figure it out just through inspecting the weapon, and doesn't need to know how to build one to use it. That, and in nearly every fantasy setting I can think of the use of magic actively restricts progress due to the limited quantity of those with the talent, and the even smaller amount willing to actually help on a regular basis. Except for Ankh-Morpork, of course.

Chronische fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 21, 2018

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I don't really get that impression. Arcadia is a land full of backwards people living under monopolistic guilds that pass nonsensical restrictions, they worry about looming invasions and practice casual racism, magic allows one rear end in a top hat to hold all the ships in the harbor hostage, superstitions cause people to avoid doing perfectly reasonable things, and the people often look at Stark and think how much their lives would be better with less chaos and more technology. Arcadia has its positives, but it has plenty of downsides to go with it.

I think it may have a lot to do with many people being more familiar with the world April Ryan is from - despite it being ~300 years in the future we all know about rampant corruption, inequity and oppression and what it does to a society. We see a dystopian hellscape and immediately know it's bad. The people of Arcadia on the other-hand present a more simplistic - almost innocent, fairy tail-like - existence. People on both sides probably have a hefty dose of "the grass is always greener on the other side" going on. There's also the bit where all the 'bad' dragon leaders all fled to Stark so they could take control while the 'good' dragon leaders remained in Arcadia to fight them, if I remember correctly. So Stark appears inherently evil because it's fun by evil forces.

Plus, some of the longest, most obnoxious puzzles are in this world. Because: magic, of course! Seriously though, gently caress that wizard.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

No one's requested it, and I've never seen it.

It's worth checking out, but I can't imagine it would be good Corner fodder for the simple reason that you were only able to get in one season of SG-1 for that and season 1 B5 is...rough. Also, it's best appreciated in total because the thing that is most impressive about it is the way it tells one coherent story arc over ~4 seasons (they had to rush the conclusion because they were getting cancelled...then they got picked up by TNT for season 5, whoops). Nobody does that in TV, because you can't rely on being on the air that long. And indeed, they almost weren't.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Re: Starship Troopers and fascism.

You misunderstand the point regarding obsession with enemy plots.

First of all, though Umberto presents aspects of fascist society as discrete points of consideration, many of his points are actually different aspects of the same issue. "The enemy is constantly plotting to undermine us via traitors in our society" is another way to take on "disagreement is treason" "pacifism is treason" and "everyone* must contribute to defeating the enemy", all three of which are strongly in evidence within the novel.

*who matters.

Secondly, the bugs are clearly identified in-text as representing the threat of the red hordes. To the extent that one considers it viable to examine the author's RL experiences and beliefs when analyzing the text - Heinlein went certifiably insane at some point in the 1950's, and spent the next few decades doing his meager level best to bring about WWIII. He was quite obsessed with communist traitors and fellow travelers undermining the American fighting spirit.

Yeah, exactly.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

malkav11 posted:

It's worth checking out, but I can't imagine it would be good Corner fodder for the simple reason that you were only able to get in one season of SG-1 for that and season 1 B5 is...rough. Also, it's best appreciated in total because the thing that is most impressive about it is the way it tells one coherent story arc over ~4 seasons (they had to rush the conclusion because they were getting cancelled...then they got picked up by TNT for season 5, whoops). Nobody does that in TV, because you can't rely on being on the air that long. And indeed, they almost weren't.

Yeah, since he probably only has time for maybe one season, it probably wouldn't work well. Season 1 is largely an extended introduction before the major story arcs kick in in season 1, and S1 is considered to be rough and not as good by many viewers. That wouldn't be a big deal if you had seen the series, but without that, a review of only season 1 would be kinda missing the point.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 22, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Re: Starship Troopers and fascism.

You misunderstand the point regarding obsession with enemy plots.

First of all, though Umberto presents aspects of fascist society as discrete points of consideration, many of his points are actually different aspects of the same issue. "The enemy is constantly plotting to undermine us via traitors in our society" is another way to take on "disagreement is treason" "pacifism is treason" and "everyone* must contribute to defeating the enemy", all three of which are strongly in evidence within the novel.

*who matters.

Secondly, the bugs are clearly identified in-text as representing the threat of the red hordes. To the extent that one considers it viable to examine the author's RL experiences and beliefs when analyzing the text - Heinlein went certifiably insane at some point in the 1950's, and spent the next few decades doing his meager level best to bring about WWIII. He was quite obsessed with communist traitors and fellow travelers undermining the American fighting spirit.

Well, it's a utopian novel, after all. That's what they do: they present the author's political philosophy with all of the upsides and none of the downsides. Except the downsides that the author thinks are upsides, of course. That's why I added that warning at the end; if someone tried to create the government presented in Starship Troopers, it would quickly become completely fascist with none of the qualifications or exceptions. Honestly, the main point of the corner was to present Eco's 14 points, which is why the analysis takes up over half the run time.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Isn't this connotation already in the name "Arcadia"? The term being used to describe some kind of utopia, living the simple life in the the "good old ways" on the countryside. The contrast to the lifestyle in Arcadia is the fast and busy metropolis with with its refinement in technology and luxury (See: Newport, Stark).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

No real excuses this time, I'm just incredibly late.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Now that we're getting back into the meat of the story it's starting to bring back a lot of memories. I'm surprised how much of this I'd forgotten over the years.

What I do remember is Arcadia is very, very plot heavy every time you visit is this was nowhere near the longest conversation in the game.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

This is "A Lot To Take In: The Game".

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
A friend gave me Solaris as a birthday gift last year. It is a tremendously good book. My take of the book is that humanity never even really concluded that the ocean was in any way alive or not. It's also got some genuinely unnerving and eery moments early on in the book, at least I thought they were.

EDIT Vidja games ain't books!

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 30, 2018

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Zeniel posted:

A friend gave me Stellaris...

Wait, what? Don't get your video games confused with my books.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It is a lot of words, but they are interesting words and Tobias has a good voice for it. :shobon:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Next week's video will be delayed since apparently Studio Ghibli absolutely refuses to let me show moving footage of their movies. I can still use still images, at least.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Next week's video will be delayed since apparently Studio Ghibli absolutely refuses to let me show moving footage of their movies. I can still use still images, at least.
Yup. Ghibli is extremely dumb that way.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

OutofSight posted:

Wait, what? Don't get your video games confused with my books.

Doh, that's what I get for late night posting, I haven't even played Stellaris.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Oh poo poo yes this was one of my favorite games when I was a kid.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Did something happen? I know there was gonna be a delay but is said delay mostly about the cartoon editing?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kunster posted:

Did something happen? I know there was gonna be a delay but is said delay mostly about the cartoon editing?

Secretly it was also an excuse to take a week off.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The idea of needing to get maps while they're fresh sounds odd to us, but this world is so chaotic that maps might go obsolete fairly quickly.

Why do we get a list of three people we need to deliver to if he only gives us one map and refuses to give more until we deliver that one? I guess maybe he doesn't want his map runners to lose his merchandise or be robbed, but why not just give us only one person at a time, and not a list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Seems kinda rude not to at least give back the delivery list to the merchant after the second delivery before popping back home. :v: