Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Poil posted:

Seems kinda rude not to at least give back the delivery list to the merchant after the second delivery before popping back home. :v:

You're literally not allowed to leave that scene after talking to Westhouse. April refuses to go until she figures out how to open the shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ah, I love Spirited Away. It's probably my favourite Miyazaki movie. Followed by Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, actually. I get the impression that a lot of people don't think much of that one, but I don't know; I like it a lot.

I should watch Spirited Away again; it's been years. I remember renting it on DVD (probably soon after it came out that way) and trying to get one of my best friends to watch it with me, but she straight-up refused. I got the impression it was because of the fantasy elements in the movie that were inspired by aspects of Shintoism. She's a... very devout Christian. It's a shame; it's such a beautiful movie.

On The Longest Expository Dialogue Journey though; I'm afraid I've basically given up on watching the actual LP as of this video. I've been doing my best to give it a chance up to this point, but oh man this game is so boring. The writing is just interminable; so much of the dialogue so far has seemed flabby and redundant.

Full disclosure though: I've never liked adventure games. Going right back to the early Sierra and LucasArts stuff, or even text adventures like Zork - I've always strongly disliked them. The arbitrary, guess-what-the-designer-was-thinking style of gameplay has always massively rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll almost certainly be sticking around for the reviews, though; they're always interesting.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

https://vimeo.com/91985775

My favorite scene in the movie. (2:40 is my current wallpaper)

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm sure Westhouse picked up the Glenfiddich from Abner's kid before crossing the mountains. She probably keeps it next to the Johnny Walker.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Antistar01 posted:

On The Longest Expository Dialogue Journey though; I'm afraid I've basically given up on watching the actual LP as of this video. I've been doing my best to give it a chance up to this point, but oh man this game is so boring. The writing is just interminable; so much of the dialogue so far has seemed flabby and redundant.

A lot of it so far has all been world-building, without setting up concrete goals. The next video in fact should make it clear April's overall objectives, and start on a series of goals working to accomplish the larger ones. Give it at least one more video.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antistar01 posted:

Full disclosure though: I've never liked adventure games. Going right back to the early Sierra and LucasArts stuff

See if you get an easy time through the Land of the Dead then. :colbert:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A lot of it so far has all been world-building, without setting up concrete goals. The next video in fact should make it clear April's overall objectives, and start on a series of goals working to accomplish the larger ones. Give it at least one more video.

It would have to be a pretty dramatic change of direction at this point - like, whiplash-inducing - so I'm sceptical sorry... but hey, I guess we'll see.

Manuel Calavera posted:

See if you get an easy time through the Land of the Dead then. :colbert:

I'm gonna assume that you're talking about Grim Fandango there Mr Manuel Calavera, protagonist of the game Grim Fandango. I haven't played it, for probably obvious reasons! :v:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The same, yes. I am a travel agent to the dead after all. Amongst other things.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A watch, huh? Here I figured she'd find the power was within her all along, but maybe we're not quite at that part in the story yet.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

The same, yes. I am a travel agent to the dead after all. Amongst other things.

If you're supposed to be a travel agent, then why do you only assign transportation based on "clients'" moral character? Wouldn't that make you more of a dispatcher or something? And if so, why does your boss berate you for not getting enough "good clients" if it's something you have no control over?

(Love the story but those particular plot holes bug the crap out of me. They're essentially contrivances to kick off the plot.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because Copal was , well. I mean, he gave Domino all the good clients. Everybody knew. Then Hector sprouted him, so. He WAS a jerk but nobody deserves that for just some minor corruption. (Etc etc, if we keep at it we'll be derailing from Bobbin. But that wasn't much a plot hole I think. Copal ran the day to day parts of the scam, Hector was in charge.)

Back on topic. My favorite Miyazaki is probably My Neighbor Totoro, at least aesthetically and for the characters. But I think Spirited Away or Mononoke were my first. And Spirited Away is just so charming the whole way through, compared to some of the slow spots in Totoro. Or the strange ones from cultural differences.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Another movie week, another failed claim. I'm thinking I'll switch back to stills permanently now that the films I'm covering aren't two-thirds foreign imports.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That's a shame; it's easier to get a better idea of a movie when you see it, well - moving. Understandable though.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 2, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whenever I hear a character say "Some things must remain a mystery" I'm pretty sure that's just the writer going "We didn't come up with something in time"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kibayasu posted:

Whenever I hear a character say "Some things must remain a mystery" I'm pretty sure that's just the writer going "We didn't come up with something in time"

Not this time. This is just Cortez being enigmatic. We'll eventually learn what his deal is.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Your time stamp for Coraline appears to be off, should be somewhere around 21m30 ish seconds.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Your time stamp for Coraline appears to be off, should be somewhere around 21m30 ish seconds.

Looks like I forgot to update the time with the new episode. I'll go back and fix that, but in the meantime we've got another video to think about.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure that garbage infiltration would be very fatal. :stare:

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Oh Zack, you are such an rear end in a top hat. It's almost as if you were written with a specific fate in mind. IIRC if you join him on the date as you agreed to he tries to cop a feel at some point and you give him a nice, heartfelt, openhanded slap across the face for it. He then gives you the exact same speech the next morning.

Also love the aesthetic of Building 87 - the 60's style wright iron banister in particular, rubber cap and all. That style used to be quite common but as older buildings get renovated or demolished you see it less and less these days. Hilarious to think it comes back into style hundreds of years later in cheap public buildings.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yeah, the whole getting into the police station gimmick feels too contrived, a puzzle because one was overdue. Particularly glaring is the fact that you would think being able to tamper with roadblocks would at least require a special key or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good thing garbage compaction stopped being a thing in the far future I guess.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I thought we had a pretty good Rothfuss mock thread, but I can't seem to find it offhand.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Oh crap, today's Monday, isn't it?

Xander77 posted:

I thought we had a pretty good Rothfuss mock thread, but I can't seem to find it offhand.

This one?

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 9, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It's me again.
(heavy sigh)

:)

How does a dystopian future have unions? Especially for underpaid and "unskilled" labor. But yeah lunchbreaks are freaking important.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Every time I replay (or rewatch) this game, I discover I completely repressed the abusive father plot and it's amazingly lovely resolution.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Poil posted:

It's me again.
(heavy sigh)

:)

How does a dystopian future have unions? Especially for underpaid and "unskilled" labor. But yeah lunchbreaks are freaking important.

The unions, themselves, somehow manage to become an industry unto themselves, or perhaps ARE the government - a government mandated union. The first thing they'd do is ensure that they, themselves, were as protected as can be, and if it IS the government then the byzantine nature of the forms required to get them to do anything isn't at all unusual.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'm surprised that anything at all gets done with unions like that in place. Probably a combination of the efforts of a few individuals in the union who actually have a work ethic and a large class of people striving to get into the union or work in opposition to it and the union's responding efforts to discredit employing that entity's labor instead. Much like the real world.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I imagine these unions of the future are less Trade Union to protect workers and more Racketeering in order to force people/businesses to pay out the rear end in order to get anything done. I'm surprised the game doesn't force you to figure out who Tweedledee and Tweedledum report to as well so you can forge their signature(s) properly, too.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 10, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Xander77 posted:

Every time I replay (or rewatch) this game, I discover I completely repressed the abusive father plot and it's amazingly lovely resolution.

I finished the game, and when I recently replayed this game (well, partly), I was surprised to learn April pushed her father down the stairs. I had not remembered that part.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Most of the locker names have no obvious reference, but there's some potential for speculation.
Morty Lode: Most likely to be referring to the game's lead programmer Morten Lode.
Ricky Mahoney: John Mahoney is the name of the actor who played Martin Crane (who used to be on the police force) in Frasier. Carey Mahoney is one of the main characters in the Police Academy movie. I couldn't find anything potentially involving the Ricky part.
Russel Franco: Pretty much just guesswork on my part based on what some basic searches pulled up, but Kurt Russell did some movies with, and was briefly a brother-in-law to, a Larry Franco.

The rest pulled up nothing potentially related to anything else police-ish, so I assume they're just character names or maybe other people the production team knows, unless Frank Minnelli is a mix of Frank Sinatra and Liza Minnelli, but that seems like a stretch.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
So how many felonies did April manage to commit in that short, 30 minute episode? Identity theft, impersonating a cop, record tampering, stealing classified documents and to top it off looting a crime scene (where several dozen people just died, no less). Stay classy, April.

Also Youtube has taught me that shaking a can of pop or beer or any other carbonated beverage doesn't cause some Simpsons-esque explosion that will blow all the windows out of your house and knock you into a coma. It just makes a mess. But no more than you'd get from shaking it by hand or dropping it on the floor. But I still choose to believe!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
This Flipper guy sounds like a giant dicksmack.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I actually reloaded after searching the computer for April Ryan, even though it doesn't matter. It just felt better not to leave that clue in the log for whoever investigates this. I used Edit on Warren's entry to remove his criminal record.

Flipper is a dick. but he's got a good excuse for the chip on his shoulder.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I actually reloaded after searching the computer for April Ryan, even though it doesn't matter.
Yeah... Her fingerprince and dna are all over everything and the receptionist and those two workers could easily describe or identify her. Leaving a search entry in the log wouldn't matter at this point. She's not really much of a shadowrunner.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

This Flipper guy sounds like a giant dicksmack.

When everyone has to compare to Zack Flipper is almost endearing.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Just listened to everything in a few long sessions to get caught up. I'm awful at adventure games so I'll just sit here and wonder how the writers came up with the item uses they did.

...and suggest some anime for Bobbin once I have $5 to spare.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I got no excuse for kicking the video out late, but I do have the video itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

I would love an updated Spelljammer ruleset for 5e.

Did you underline the miniature giant space hamster, or did you find someone's scanned and edited image in a post talking about Boo?