Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Actually, if you do tell Flipper April's personal information, he DOES say how he lost his legs. It's a story worth hearing. That was a missed opportunity. You should show that off. Although I do agree that "None of your business" is in character for April.

Luckily Zack's spying didn't do much good because the people in the room didn't know anything anyway, and if he went back to listening at the door after April went in, she didn't say much either.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I know I have heard of Spelljammer before, but I'm not sure where. I've only played D&D computer games really; not the pen and paper games themselves. Maybe it was referenced in the Baldur's Gate games? (E.g. Boo the miniature giant space hamster, yeah.) It's been a long time since I've played them.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Baldur's Gate 2 had a Spelljammer in one area (off the path a bit though), you couldn't do anything interesting with them.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, right; I think I remember that. It had crashed/appeared in the middle of some buildings in the slums and had some characters from different D&D settings, I think? At the time I might have thought it had more to do with the Planescape setting; I certainly played Torment.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Well the thing in the Slums is an interplanar vessel of sorts, but the Spelljammer is in the Drow city, you can see it on your map and if you go through a sequence of stairs and doors you have no other need for you can get up close.

I don't believe there were any associated quests though.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

VodeAndreas posted:

Well the thing in the Slums is an interplanar vessel of sorts, but the Spelljammer is in the Drow city, you can see it on your map and if you go through a sequence of stairs and doors you have no other need for you can get up close.

I don't believe there were any associated quests though.

There was also a crashed one in Helm's Hold filled with very angry Gith pirates... or maybe it was one of their astral ships, they look exactly the same.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh okay, yeah... I don't remember any of that. I must be thinking of something else! How did this knowledge that the Spelljammer setting exists get into my brain?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You may have traversed the path of "let's see what else weird settings there are besides Planescape" and ran into the only one that's as weird.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Glad you liked the book I recommended. I’ll try to think of one about as good by the time my name comes round again- if I don’t get in touch with you feel free to do a Bobbin’s choice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Did you seriously just review Guns of the South without ever mentioning the lost cause?

Holy poo poo. If I was deliberately writing a parody of carefully "apolitical" reviewers, I still wouldn't go that far - it would feel too insanely strawmanish.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
He’s got another “Confederate Victory” story coming up, I bet he does it again. :)

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Just started tossing you $5 on Patreon. What's the best way to let you know what to add to your review list?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Just started tossing you $5 on Patreon. What's the best way to let you know what to add to your review list?

Add a comment to one of my posts. I've got notification emails set up so I'll always see it.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

It seems to me that Abnaxus talks of possibilities and fluctuating futures, so it seems plausible to me that the Venar live in multiple "threads" or timelines at once. April may introduce herself in a different one than the one the game covers. Closed timelike loops are probably common whenever Venar meet others several times.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
In fact another possibility is that April and Abraxux get introduced to each other at some point in the future as well.

This game can be pretty talky, and unfortunately the next part is even worse. It doesn't feel this long though, when you're playing for a longer stretch. Getting 20-30 minutes once every 7 days accentuates the slow pace.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
How boring it is really rises and falls depending on how interesting the conversation is. I wasn't bored with this one because Abnaxus' gimmick is fun, and thought-provoking, and I kinda like the voice acting. Vs. that creepy legless rear end in a top hat. That was a bit of a chore to get through.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Technically speaking April wouldn't even need to introduce herself in this game for him to know her name.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I know "alternate timelines" is a valid answer, but the oversight still bugs me.

And now for the same premise but with a different approach.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I spent forever trying to figure out the puzzle at the enclave until I consulted a guide which just said head down the stairs I hadn't spotted at all. :sigh:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Given that she's suddenly in a world where magic is real and dragons likely exist, April's prescient insistence on the true nature of the cannibal merman in a part of the world she's never even heard of, let alone seen for herself, comes off as particularly obnoxious.

The commercials are the best part — maybe even the only good part — about CSA. I don't know if the documentary context was even necessary. They might have worked better in some other movie as a sideshow (cf. the original Robocop).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
This next bit, going after the alchemist, is quite enjoyable.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Imagine if The Longest Journey had sequels that allowed us to explore the vast and fascinating world those books described.

Man, I can't believe you actually came out and took a stand without any mealy-mouthed backtracking

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 20, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like sequels that explored the vast and fascinating world the game itself describes. I like the sequels too. Then again writing about a place and actually building it are very different, also doing stuff in there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Man, I can't believe you actually came out and took a stand with any mealy-mouthed backtracking

I try to be objective and moderate because I make a personal point of stepping into the shoes of supporters and detractors of various issues to see how their logic makes sense to them, see why their worldview exists and how, current events notwithstanding, the existence of their ideas allows for a fruitful debate. If I were actually making policies instead of discussing them, you'd find me much more decisive.

But when I step into the shoes of "family values" conservatives, I feel nothing but disgust. All they want is greater social and cultural dominance based on no other reason than the fact that they once had greater social and cultural dominance.

In other news, I'm afraid work and exhaustion have conspired against me, and I'll have to delay the video till next week.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree about FamilyValueCons (my name for them). Their time is past, the world has and continues to change, and the people sensitive to the future are the future. There is much evidence to argue this point, but this is not the place to discuss it further.

Enjoy your rest.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 20, 2018

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Xander77 posted:

Man, I can't believe you actually came out and took a stand with any mealy-mouthed backtracking

Dude can you cut this poo poo out, please?
You've been taking odd personal swipes at him throughout the thread. It adds nothing to the discussion.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

So the fatigue thing turned out to be something more serious than I thought, which is why I lost another week. I'm on the mend now, though, and transmissions will resume next Monday.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Take your time. Health before Internet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

So the fatigue thing turned out to be something more serious than I thought, which is why I lost another week. I'm on the mend now, though, and transmissions will resume next Monday.

Glad to hear you'll live, take care of yourself.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Now here's me getting so wrapped up in work that I forgot to release the update. Whoops.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You mentioned Good Omens. I must mention that the book is hilarious, I would highly recommend it.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome back Bobbin, and nthing the "take all the time you need" sentiment. Your well being matters more than adventure games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always really liked that valley vista. Sure you didn't really get to go there but it's a great piece of fantasy art work and of course backgrounds are really important in adventure game.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sorry about the wait. My free time has been nothing but errands for the last two weeks. I may have to delay the next video for the same reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully April has been poo poo-talked to enough this time to get her rear end in gear :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Moving this weekend, so I'm not sure if my spotty record will improve next Monday or not.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Uh... calculators are very much the logic of stark and the two extreme opposites cancel each other out? I have no idea.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think debating the internal logic of a calculator defeating an evil alchemist shortly after scenes of hopscotch, spelling bee, tic-tac-toe, cooking, and recital with the same alchemist is a losing affair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Hot drat, back on schedule!