Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hah, I forgot about the sorry bastard on the end of the chain.

Also it just became apparent to me just how much April's voice changes from when she's talking to someone like the Captain or Map Merchant (or any number of more stand-off-ish character) to talking like someone like Tun Lueic. Her voice actor takes on an incredibly empathetic and soft-spoken inflection that I almost feel pity just listening to her express sympathy for someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I also didn't think much of Honor as a Hornblower knockoff (and Hornblower isn't that great to begin with, particularly in comparison to Aubrey-Maturin, despite having more varied stories).

Honrblower does have a bunch of chauvinistic posturing and strawmanning about the Napoleonic wars - it's just a bit less obvious to us due to being further removed than Honor's "loving liberals, thinking each missile fired during a mock battle could build a school" (first novel).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm a few episodes behind, but I just want to say how much I hated the stair puzzle in Roper Klacks's tower. It's the first time in the game where you have to act very quickly, and up to that point you could be pretty well convinced that there were no action-based puzzles. Especially in the era when quick-time events were rather rare in games like this, or better established.

I do like the battle of wits with Roper, as it's silly in a way that's reminiscent of Bill & Ted playing Twister with Death. I never noticed before how much the VA is channeling Mark Hamill's Joker, though. I guess in its day that performance stood out less.

I also never knew the Honor Harrington author was also the designer of Starfire.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

April's really going have to insult herself in a dream to get over this one.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I hadn't thought it would happen, but that book review is kind of making me want to play Planescape Torment again. It must be well over a decade since I last played that.

My only real exposure to D&D has been via the computer games, but Planescape is definitely my favourite setting out of the ones I'm familiar with. Maybe that's not saying much. It's just so much more interesting than bog-standard Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance or whatever.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Just caught up from Chapter 16 or so. My thoughts:

When you mentioned StarFire, my mind immediately turned to a game called Aurora 4x, which sort of spun off an assistant program for it. (History of Aurora 4x can be found here)

I also noticed you have similar taste in music to me. I recognized Nightwish and the Rama OST from your videos, so that's fun.

I've got nothing else to say really. Love your work.

EDIT: Actually one more thing: I too, want a talking bird best friend.

Inglonias fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 17, 2018

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Just so you know...I Pause my netflix series for this. keep up the good work Bobbin.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

Is it just me or did that section seem... lackluster? You have a queen as the only merperson that you interact with. The dialogue seems to be playing up merpeople society but falls flat without other individuals around to reinforce the idea that this society exists. And the tasks seems devoid of any weight.

The puzzles aren't necessarily out of the ordinary for the game, but the context comes across as nonexistent.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I love how nonchalant April is about being kidnapped to be a slave (along with other people apparently!) if you skip the "I'm not a servant" dialogue option. I mean, yeah, she would probably at some point shift away back to Stark, even inadvertently, but still.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember really focusing in on those missing statue icons and convincing myself it was going to be one of those puzzles where you have to eliminate what you know to find out what you don't know. Took me a while to figure out it was way simpler.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Sorry I'm late this week. No real excuse; just got caught up with other stuff.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Decent job on the latest review. Thanks. If we have time for a third request, please review The Talisman, by Stephen King & Peter Straub. It has some concepts in there I haven't seen in many other parallel world stories and good characters. I haven't read the sequel.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

If you can get in a second request from me, I'll ask for a Bobbin's Choice.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lest Darkness Fall is also a very direct response to Count Bellisarius.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For a place that knows magic exists and is widespread I always thought there sure are a lot of people willing to just accept any random bullshit that happens in front of them as prophecy and signs of fate :v:

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

For a place that knows magic exists and is widespread I always thought there sure are a lot of people willing to just accept any random bullshit that happens in front of them as prophecy and signs of fate :v:

Consider that BECAUSE magic exists and is widespread, prophecies like that are also very common and fulfilled regularly.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Peak Longest Journey is pretty accurate.

I'm so glad there wasn't a need to type in the things, correct spelling and all, like adventure games of old.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't really say why but everything about Galavant seems very out of date. Like if someone described it without mentioning when it was made I probably would have assumed it was made back when films like Braveheart or Dragonheart were being made.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Good old N.K. Jemesin; I discovered her a while back, largely thanks to the Book Barn. Just tore through the Kingdoms trilogy; I'd never quite read anything like that before, and we need more of it. She explores a lot of themes but the most cutting, as you have described, is how she deals with the internalization of oppression and abuse; there are some jagged protagonists in the Kingdoms trilogy, jagged in the same way Essun is described as being- unpredictable, surprisingly violent, and driven at times by pure spite and rage at their oppressors. I don't know if there are any mainstream stories that tackle the same subject matter in quite the same familiarity and nuance; Black Panther comes the closest, but it's still not quite there.

Oh, the video game. It's nice, but I don't have a lot to say about this part.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I didn't get that obvious thing you mentioned right at the end of the LP bit when I first played.

Also I care about what happened to Zack. :woop:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neither did I but I was also 13 years old.

I think I cared about what happened to Zack but it was more in demonstration of the immediately raised stakes. People were getting killed and it didn't matter how close they were to April.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm going to have to skip a week, unfortunately. A cold is doing terrible things to my voice and a miscalculation means I haven't done the research I needed to.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

And now we're back.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sure hope that fire was magical enough that it wouldn't melt whoever put the stones in too.

Is it just me or is it some kind of paradox that what should be the most exciting parts of a story (escaping death at the hands of the baddies, solving the big puzzle the game has been building towards, getting your hands on the big object, finally performing an almost-at-will teleport to escape the path of an advancing tyrannical army) are actually kind of the most boring and perfunctory when it comes to adventure games? Since it kind of has to take over or limit control so things can happen properly, at least in the ones that don't let you die. Even the puzzle itself doesn't let you do it wrong, though I supposed the slots can only fit what they're supposed to fit.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Talyn. Starburst. :ussr:

e: the best part of Browder's GotG2's cameo is that he went all-in with his ridiculous Peacekeeper accent.

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 17, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

How long is this game?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

How long is this game?

And it's only game one of 3! The last of which came in an episodic release format!

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I don't think Dreamfall or Chapters were nearly as long as the first game. Or at least they didn't feel that way; I don't recall off hand any parts where you needed to have a 30-40+ minute long conversation with one person to try and advance the game.

Loved TLJ when it come out but I'll fully admit there are parts where I just wanted it to hurry the hell up so I could find out what happened next.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I passed on Farscape back in the day because with its art direction, costume/set design, makeup, etc it just looked super cheesy to me. After your review though I'm wondering if that was a mistake; it sounds pretty interesting.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Antistar01 posted:

I passed on Farscape back in the day because with its art direction, costume/set design, makeup, etc it just looked super cheesy to me. After your review though I'm wondering if that was a mistake; it sounds pretty interesting.

It is cheesy but it's still a mistake to not watch it because of that.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

there's some real dull episodes in the first season, but it's a show with a lot of heart and campy weird sci-fi goodness. And while they didn't really do season-long arcs, they also never push a reset button, really - if characters hurt each other(s feelings) in episode 4, episode 5 and possibly beyond would remember and incorporate that in some fashion.

Have a little scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpHa6tE4Rmo

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Have another scene from early season 2. Crackers Don't Matter is generally regarded as the episode where Farscape finds its footing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc3Egh1p6GQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Antistar01 posted:

It's cheesy is hell, but it's not intentionally bad garbage like Lexx or Dr. Who - it has a clear and coherent vision, and takes itself seriously when necessary.