Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Xander77 posted:

I forgot just how terrible the "as you know" exposition when the game starts is.

I was always under the impression that Star Gate is the second tierest of second tier sci-fi shows, never rising to the heights of DS9, Babylon 5, Farscape, or even Battlestar Galactica.

It was a quieter success but a success nonetheless. And while it is definitely sci-fi it always felt more contemporary, even with the wormholes and aliens and laser guns, which might contribute to it simply blending in with the background.

As unnatural as the direction the dialogue in TLJ takes the way its written and acted within itself is at least very natural. Fiona's just a grand old gal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Dabir posted:

Is it just me or is this game really overwritten? Every conversation this episode seemed to take twice as long as it needed to.

quote:

The Best Novel I Ever Played: The Longest Journey (and company)

You're either here for the dialogue or you're going to think this the whole game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh my god I'd forgotten just how much if a perfect embodiment of rear end in a top hat Zack is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Whenever I hear a character say "Some things must remain a mystery" I'm pretty sure that's just the writer going "We didn't come up with something in time"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good thing garbage compaction stopped being a thing in the far future I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

This Flipper guy sounds like a giant dicksmack.

When everyone has to compare to Zack Flipper is almost endearing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Technically speaking April wouldn't even need to introduce herself in this game for him to know her name.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'd like sequels that explored the vast and fascinating world the game itself describes. I like the sequels too. Then again writing about a place and actually building it are very different, also doing stuff in there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always really liked that valley vista. Sure you didn't really get to go there but it's a great piece of fantasy art work and of course backgrounds are really important in adventure game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hopefully April has been poo poo-talked to enough this time to get her rear end in gear :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think debating the internal logic of a calculator defeating an evil alchemist shortly after scenes of hopscotch, spelling bee, tic-tac-toe, cooking, and recital with the same alchemist is a losing affair.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hah, I forgot about the sorry bastard on the end of the chain.

Also it just became apparent to me just how much April's voice changes from when she's talking to someone like the Captain or Map Merchant (or any number of more stand-off-ish character) to talking like someone like Tun Lueic. Her voice actor takes on an incredibly empathetic and soft-spoken inflection that I almost feel pity just listening to her express sympathy for someone else.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

April's really going have to insult herself in a dream to get over this one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I love how nonchalant April is about being kidnapped to be a slave (along with other people apparently!) if you skip the "I'm not a servant" dialogue option. I mean, yeah, she would probably at some point shift away back to Stark, even inadvertently, but still.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember really focusing in on those missing statue icons and convincing myself it was going to be one of those puzzles where you have to eliminate what you know to find out what you don't know. Took me a while to figure out it was way simpler.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

For a place that knows magic exists and is widespread I always thought there sure are a lot of people willing to just accept any random bullshit that happens in front of them as prophecy and signs of fate :v:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't really say why but everything about Galavant seems very out of date. Like if someone described it without mentioning when it was made I probably would have assumed it was made back when films like Braveheart or Dragonheart were being made.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Neither did I but I was also 13 years old.

I think I cared about what happened to Zack but it was more in demonstration of the immediately raised stakes. People were getting killed and it didn't matter how close they were to April.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sure hope that fire was magical enough that it wouldn't melt whoever put the stones in too.

Is it just me or is it some kind of paradox that what should be the most exciting parts of a story (escaping death at the hands of the baddies, solving the big puzzle the game has been building towards, getting your hands on the big object, finally performing an almost-at-will teleport to escape the path of an advancing tyrannical army) are actually kind of the most boring and perfunctory when it comes to adventure games? Since it kind of has to take over or limit control so things can happen properly, at least in the ones that don't let you die. Even the puzzle itself doesn't let you do it wrong, though I supposed the slots can only fit what they're supposed to fit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Antistar01 posted:

I passed on Farscape back in the day because with its art direction, costume/set design, makeup, etc it just looked super cheesy to me. After your review though I'm wondering if that was a mistake; it sounds pretty interesting.

It is cheesy but it's still a mistake to not watch it because of that.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's kind of a shame the sequel (and subsequently the one after that) mostly did away with not only the more mystical elements of this game but the stranger aspect of the future. Everything got a lot more conventional and you just don't see two dragons fighting each other 2 miles above cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's weird how much you can like a game and how much you can forget about it at the same time. The only thing I remembered about that whole ending beforehand was April not being the guardian. Thanks for the LP.

Poil posted:

Thus endeth the longest journey. Did April ever meet her friends again? :ohdear:

Thank you for a fun lp.

As of the immediate sequel, not the ones in Stark.

Antistar01 posted:

Though I did stop watching the actual LP part of the videos like I said I would earlier in the thread (because it turns out I really don't like this game), I've enjoyed the reviews a lot - so thanks for all your hard work!

I am curious to see what you cover next; I couldn't work it out from your hint at the end of the video.

A not exactly extensive list of games could fit the description by the newest one that could is The Crew 2.