Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ah, I love Spirited Away. It's probably my favourite Miyazaki movie. Followed by Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea, actually. I get the impression that a lot of people don't think much of that one, but I don't know; I like it a lot.

I should watch Spirited Away again; it's been years. I remember renting it on DVD (probably soon after it came out that way) and trying to get one of my best friends to watch it with me, but she straight-up refused. I got the impression it was because of the fantasy elements in the movie that were inspired by aspects of Shintoism. She's a... very devout Christian. It's a shame; it's such a beautiful movie.

On The Longest Expository Dialogue Journey though; I'm afraid I've basically given up on watching the actual LP as of this video. I've been doing my best to give it a chance up to this point, but oh man this game is so boring. The writing is just interminable; so much of the dialogue so far has seemed flabby and redundant.

Full disclosure though: I've never liked adventure games. Going right back to the early Sierra and LucasArts stuff, or even text adventures like Zork - I've always strongly disliked them. The arbitrary, guess-what-the-designer-was-thinking style of gameplay has always massively rubbed me the wrong way.

I'll almost certainly be sticking around for the reviews, though; they're always interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

A lot of it so far has all been world-building, without setting up concrete goals. The next video in fact should make it clear April's overall objectives, and start on a series of goals working to accomplish the larger ones. Give it at least one more video.

It would have to be a pretty dramatic change of direction at this point - like, whiplash-inducing - so I'm sceptical sorry... but hey, I guess we'll see.

Manuel Calavera posted:

See if you get an easy time through the Land of the Dead then. :colbert:

I'm gonna assume that you're talking about Grim Fandango there Mr Manuel Calavera, protagonist of the game Grim Fandango. I haven't played it, for probably obvious reasons! :v:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That's a shame; it's easier to get a better idea of a movie when you see it, well - moving. Understandable though.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I know I have heard of Spelljammer before, but I'm not sure where. I've only played D&D computer games really; not the pen and paper games themselves. Maybe it was referenced in the Baldur's Gate games? (E.g. Boo the miniature giant space hamster, yeah.) It's been a long time since I've played them.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh, right; I think I remember that. It had crashed/appeared in the middle of some buildings in the slums and had some characters from different D&D settings, I think? At the time I might have thought it had more to do with the Planescape setting; I certainly played Torment.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Oh okay, yeah... I don't remember any of that. I must be thinking of something else! How did this knowledge that the Spelljammer setting exists get into my brain?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I hadn't thought it would happen, but that book review is kind of making me want to play Planescape Torment again. It must be well over a decade since I last played that.

My only real exposure to D&D has been via the computer games, but Planescape is definitely my favourite setting out of the ones I'm familiar with. Maybe that's not saying much. It's just so much more interesting than bog-standard Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance or whatever.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I passed on Farscape back in the day because with its art direction, costume/set design, makeup, etc it just looked super cheesy to me. After your review though I'm wondering if that was a mistake; it sounds pretty interesting.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I had a listen to part of The Source - because I do like metal, and prog-metal in particular - but I'm afraid it's not for me. Partially because I'm just not into power-metal, but also I think the focus on telling a story with the lyrics detracted from the music. The way I normally put it is "I don't like musicals, because I like music." :v:

I love Alice Through The Looking Glass, though. It and Alice In Wonderland were among my favourite books, growing up - along with a few others like The Swiss Family Robinson and the original Winnie The Pooh books. (Which are very different to the Disneyfied versions; they're hilarious, for one thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Though I did stop watching the actual LP part of the videos like I said I would earlier in the thread (because it turns out I really don't like this game), I've enjoyed the reviews a lot - so thanks for all your hard work!

I am curious to see what you cover next; I couldn't work it out from your hint at the end of the video.