Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

quote:

According to a labyrinthine hierarchical chart that resembled several thick snakes loving one another, the Southern Reach was under the army's jurisdiction here, which might be why the Southern Reach facility, closed down between expeditions, looked a bit like a row of large tents that had been made of lemon meringue. Which is to say, it looked like any number of the churches Control had become familiar with in his teenage years, usually because of whatever girl he was dating. The calcification of revivalists and born-agains often took this form: as of something temporary that had hardened and become permanent. And thus it was either a series of white permafrost tents that greeted them or the white swell of huge waves, frozen forever. The sight was as out of place and startling as if the facility had resembled a fossilized herd of huge MoonPies, a delicacy of those youthful years.

Djeser fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I like that the facility's resemblance to lemon meringue is as startling as a resemblance to MoonPies would be, were it the case. A complex interplay of imagery.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The wonderful MoonPies twitter account should reblog that passage

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

shout-out to jeff using the proper MoonPie trademark guidelines, instead of "Moon Pie" or, god forbid, "moon pie"

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Djeser posted:

a labyrinthine hierarchical chart that resembled several thick snakes loving one another

Orgasm charts. :fap:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I have to say, I don't know what the tents looked like

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

this is why you should always eat before writing

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this is why you should always eat before writing

But then I'm not a starving artist.

suspendedreason
Dec 5, 2018
Since Ben Lerner got such a raise outta folks in another thread, and I'm convinced he's one of the best prose writers of our generation, the first page of 10:04 for discussion:

quote:

The city had converted an elevated length of abandoned railway spur into an aerial greenway and the agent and I were walking south along it in the unseasonable warmth after an outrageously expensive celebratory meal in Chelsea that included baby octopuses the chef had literally massaged to death. We had ingested the impossibly tender things entire, the first intact head I had ever consumed, let alone of an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play. We walked south among the dimly gleaming disused rails and carefully placed stands of sumac and smoke bush until we reached that part of the High Line where a cut has been made into the deck and wooden steps descend several layers below the structure; the lowest level is fitted with upright windows overlooking Tenth Avenue to form a kind of amphitheatre where you can sit and watch the traffic. We sat and watched the traffic and I am kidding and I am not kidding when I say that I intuited an alien intelligence, felt subject to a succession of images, sensations, memories, and affects that did not, properly speaking, belong to me: the ability to perceive polarized light; a conflation of taste and touch as salt was rubbed into the suction cups; a terror localized in my extremities, bypassing the brain completely.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
our generation is doomed

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

suspendedreason posted:

Since Ben Lerner got such a raise outta folks in another thread, and I'm convinced he's one of the best prose writers of our generation, the first page of 10:04 for discussion:

Editor's note: by our generation, he is referring specifically to contemporary American writers

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

suspendedreason posted:

I'm hearing this in a voice somewhere between Donnie Darko and the bag kid from American Beauty.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
And here I was thinking that it's just goons who make everything be about food

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Interesting piece by Hannibal Lecter there. In a way, yes, the New York subway system is a lot like murdering and eating conscious, intelligent beings

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

suspendedreason posted:

What about this do you like?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

suspendedreason posted:

Ben Lerner loving sucks

He once described crying as "a lacrimal event"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The way it feels exactly like being back in the first year of an MFA program?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ben Lerner once wrote an entire chapter about volunteering to sort vegetables at the his organic food co-op he shops at and how he is deeper and less cliche than all the stereotypes around him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

A human heart posted:

Editor's note: by our generation, he is referring specifically to contemporary American writers

let it be noted, that I, the official stan for contemporary american fiction, loving loathe this guy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

quote:

The city had converted an elevated length of abandoned railway spur into an aerial greenway and the agent and I were walking south along it in the unseasonable warmth after an outrageously expensive celebratory meal in Chelsea that included baby octopuses the chef had literally massaged to death. We had ingested the impossibly tender things entire, the first intact head I had ever consumed, let alone of an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play. We walked south among the dimly gleaming disused rails and carefully placed stands of sumac and smoke bush until we reached that part of the High Line where a cut has been made into the deck and wooden steps descend several layers below the structure; the lowest level is fitted with upright windows overlooking Tenth Avenue to form a kind of amphitheatre where you can sit and watch the traffic. We sat and watched the traffic and I am kidding and I am not kidding when I say that I intuited an alien intelligence, felt subject to a succession of images, sensations, memories, and affects that did not, properly speaking, belong to me: the ability to perceive polarized light; a conflation of taste and touch as salt was rubbed into the suction cups; a terror localized in my extremities, bypassing the brain completely.

The agent and I walked along a greenway that had been converted from an abandoned railway. The weather was warm. We had just eaten an expensive meal of baby octopuses. I ate the baby octopuses whole, which is weird if you consider their intelligence. We went down some stairs and watched Tenth Avenue traffic through upright windows. My body felt strange, like the octopuses gave me heightened senses, which worried me.

That's really all that's happening in that section, and I don't think the verbosity elevates it.

Sincerely, what do you like about that section?

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
The endless uninspired adverbials and supposedly playful repetition makes me want to punch a wall and that person in the mouth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gene Wolfe and Ben Lerner form a cadeceus twisting endlessly for eternity as they describe breakfast

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ben Lerner loving sucks

Oh dear.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

suspendedreason posted:

I think it's dreadful. The sentences are vastly too long. This one:

quote:

We had ingested the impossibly tender things entire, the first intact head I had ever consumed, let alone of an animal that decorates its lair, has been observed at complicated play.
is absolutely execrable. Using "entire" as a synonym for "whole" in that context may not be technically incorrect, but it sounds wrong regardless.
The choice to join the third and fourth phrases with just a comma rather than an "and" leads to the potential reading that "the first intact head I had ever consumed" is what "has been observed at complicated play".

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So maybe there's not a consensus that every noun requires at least one adjective.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

The funny thing about 1004 is that there are five chapters and two are real good and three are real poo poo.

I then found out the good chapters were from an earlier thing he wrote and the poo poo chapters were things he added to get it published as a book

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ben Lerner loving sucks

I am kidding and I am not kidding when I say that I want to physically harm this man, provoke such an occurrence.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I am kidding and I am not kidding when I say that I want to physically harm this man, provoke such an occurrence.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

weird, my monitor turns off whenever i try to look at your post

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The_White_Crane posted:

I think it's dreadful. The sentences are vastly too long. This one:

is absolutely execrable. Using "entire" as a synonym for "whole" in that context may not be technically incorrect, but it sounds wrong regardless.
The choice to join the third and fourth phrases with just a comma rather than an "and" leads to the potential reading that "the first intact head I had ever consumed" is what "has been observed at complicated play".

long sentences are good, just not these ones

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
holy poo poo lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Will Poulter became a doughy author with lovely prose?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

In that passage I really cringed at 'dimly gleaming'. It could work in a different context (like most prose sins), but something about how it's tossed in there makes it sound like as if it's only in there because Lerner thinks it sounds nice, not because it does something. As it stands the effect is: there's an oxymoron that sounds weird ... and then we move on. It's a weird approach, like just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing if it sticks.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

J_RBG posted:

In that passage I really cringed at 'dimly gleaming'. It could work in a different context (like most prose sins), but something about how it's tossed in there makes it sound like as if it's only in there because Lerner thinks it sounds nice, not because it does something. As it stands the effect is: there's an oxymoron that sounds weird ... and then we move on. It's a weird approach, like just throwing stuff at a wall and seeing if it sticks.

hmm, it's a good point, but have you considered

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

J_RBG posted:

it sound like as if it's only in there because Lerner thinks it sounds nice, not because it does something.

That's a pretty succinct way to sum up my feelings on it. It's like it sounded good in his head, but he never took the time to read it out loud or think about structure or word choice.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

fwiw I don't think the text is aesthetically bad, just that the content is vile

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
FWIW the text is aesthetically bad. It is not pleasing to read.

suspendedreason
Dec 5, 2018
Cool! There's a lot of really half-baked, overconfident opinions getting thrown around here, which makes it easy to go through and knock them down systematically.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Ben Lerner loving sucks

Why would he do this??? So weird, right??? Definitely autistic. Or maybe like, he's trying to put an emotional distance between himself and what his body is doing? "Crying" won't get you there, but a lacrimal event, that's something that happens to you. Crying's something you do. This is part of his larger project of defamiliarization, in the Russian formalist sense, so that something so overworn as a good cry can be seen anew, in different light.

In fact, that's what his entire project is. In the Whitmanian walker-in-the-city tradition, he defamiliarizes and processes the familiar, and his prose matches that project. If you don't care about that project it's ok, defamiliarization is for big kids who can handle a little strangeness without falling back onto deontological wah-wah's they read in Strunk and White.

Franchescanado posted:

The agent and I walked along a greenway that had been converted from an abandoned railway. The weather was warm. We had just eaten an expensive meal of baby octopuses. I ate the baby octopuses whole, which is weird if you consider their intelligence. We went down some stairs and watched Tenth Avenue traffic through upright windows. My body felt strange, like the octopuses gave me heightened senses, which worried me.

That's really all that's happening in that section, and I don't think the verbosity elevates it.

You wanna cut the detail about the octopus being tenderly massaged to death in brine, and say "woah weird we eat these smart creatures"? Isn't that uh, 1/ "telling" and not "showing" (if we wanna get deontological), and 2/ missing the point through synopsis yet again. The animal decorates its lair, which is to say it has an aesthetic sense. It has been observed at complicated play, implying not just intelligence but an ability to engage in pleasurable exploration of its environment. Spoiler: Ben Lerner is describing himself and his own project, and comparing it to what stupid octopuses do.

Which is all to say that this passage is self-aware. Ben is a really established poet. You can slam his sensibility but the verbosity is deliberate, both mocking and not mocking the "literary," both partaking and distancing the author from its mode. Ben Lerner both loves and hates the lyrically decadent. This is absolutely foundational to the outlook of the book as a whole, and all its thematic/meta-textual/philosophic crises/contradictions/"how can I have it both ways?" is getting set up from the first page.

J_RBG posted:

This is just wrong, things dimly gleam all the time, what are you talking about? "1 : to shine with or as if with subdued steady light or moderate brightness." Sounds like the brightness of a "gleam" is definitionally ambiguous, and Ben Lerner specified.

You guys gotta step up your game.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Delete your account Ben Lerner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

bad writing done with intent is still bad