Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So if atmospheric radiation would have dispersed in 20-30 years, our dude could have just strolled on outside with no problems right?

This FMV seems less a survival-horror than the story of a bumbling mook who was living safely with little effort but who manages to irradiate his home and repeatedly nearly kill himself by falling off things while doing basic maintenance or moving between rooms.

edit: I'm the box of artichoke in the medicine cabinet.

Dong Quixote fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Bear in mind John's had sfa life experience, and is probably malnourished as hell. So yeah, he's a bumbling idiot, but that's kinda reasonable. Also, the bunker door is welded shut, so getting out isn't that simple.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

lofi posted:

Bear in mind John's had sfa life experience, and is probably malnourished as hell.

This is his own fault, he exclusively ate tins of peaches for the past decade instead of delicious, protein-packed sardines and now he's likely a diabetic instead of a ripped tunnel-dweller. Even if he gets out his probably gonna lose his foot to his out of control blood sugar

lofi posted:

Also, the bunker door is welded shut, so getting out isn't that simple.

He tried one wrench that didn't even fit the bolt! He didn't even try! :colbert: I'm half expecting that right before the end we'll have a QTE to not slip on the final wooden toy doll and pratfall into a radioactive duct.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Dong Quixote posted:

So if atmospheric radiation would have dispersed in 20-30 years, our dude could have just strolled on outside with no problems right?

The best guess of the bunker dolts was 20-30 years; given that the radiation in the bunker was increasing before our hero broke his arm flipping the radiation switch it sounds like it's safe to say there's either more radiation topside than anticipated, or it had a longer half-life than they anticipated. Or both! :iiam:

I'm really glad we saw the axeman with Young John because I was kind of worried it'd be the stupid reveal that John went batshit when his mom died and he was the axeman chopping up the remaining survivors as a "gently caress you my mom's dead" kind of thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaaaaaah watching him treat himself is just agonizing. Whatever kind of clumsy fool he is, his actor does an amazing job of conveying pain.

Also, wow. It sure seems like he'd literally be better off if he hadn't tried to fix the air filtration in the first place.

Something that does help me out re: empathizing for him though is that he really, really feels like a kid, still. And again, his actor is very good at conveying that sense of pain and terror - when you're a kid, and all you want is for a parent or SOMEONE to come and help. And in this place, there's no one. No one but us viewers. :ohdear:

Guess: Bishop's the Axe Murderer. He's clearing people out so there'll be enough food to survive. Or something.

"I can imagine fifty people taking this path in the event of a fire" nooo thank you little pile of corpses at the bottom of this ladder

Phew! How far through the game are we?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I refuse to believe John could kill anyone but himself with an axe. He is the Goofus of survivors.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Would switching the backup air filtration system off again even be an option at this point?

But i guess John didn't notice the accident anyway and now he is delirious.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

OutofSight posted:

Would switching the backup air filtration system off again even be an option at this point?

But i guess John didn't notice the accident anyway and now he is delirious.

Wasn't there something about the air filter backups being contaminated with concentrations of radioactive dust or something and that's now spread everywhere in the ducts? Depending on the half-life of those materials, the inside of the bunker might be more radioactive than the outside at that point (which I have to say, is terrible engineering of the most british sort).

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm waiting for John here to run into a different room and end up on this set
I forget how dark that gets.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Level 5 is the very bottom of the bunker, where all the secrets are buried.

It's also where I tried to be very slightly fancy with the Youtube end card feature, so hopefully you enjoy that.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Well, that was hosed up.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

malkav11 posted:

Well, that was hosed up.

Yeah. But very interesting story overall, if a little predictable as a whodunit. Definitely agree with CirclMastr in terms of what the game is and isn't, but it did make for a very enjoyable LP.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

This was indeed a good FMV production to show off even though it was lacking as a game. Thanks for the LP!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh wow, is this the last update already? I somehow thought this game would be longer.

Thoughts as I watch:

- I'm going to assume the metal hook was still there or something, because there's no way in hell that doll worked to open that door.

- SURPRISE I called it, hello axe murderer

- "little rat" je-sus

JESUS

- oh, my god. she locked the keys in, she didn't bother to get them off of the body or anything, lady, pal, you're an idiot

she murdered them all so her son would survive, drat.

That...was some extremely effective horror. I was expecting him to be able to back out of that room, but instead, nope. And the reveal afterwards, yikes. poo poo's hosed up.

My choice: I left. John's gonna die either way. Staying means he goes back into a radiated pit of death. Leaving means... he gets to die in the horrible surface. But hell, where there's hope, there's a chance of life.

My thoughts on the game, I mean movie: I liked it! hosed up, but horrific and interesting. And in a way it reminds me of a podcast I listed to recently about the game Frostpunk, which is this question asked over and over: you have enough resources to save some people, but not everyone. What do you do? In Frostpunk it's spun out into an actual city-builder/survival game, with different approaches to that question - but yeah. Similar themes! Survival is tough, especially if you're in the world's cheapest bunker.

Thanks for the LP! This was a good watch!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'll admit I didn't see the twist coming, but that's mostly because I somehow didn't mentally connect the dots that all the flashback sequences were of the exact same period. In that context...I guess it makes sense?

They had 14 months of food left for an entire bunker that couldn't go topside for 20-30 years. If anybody was going to survive it'd only be a couple people at best, and only if they started heavily rationing food for that "lucky" few at the expense of the others.

Thanks for the LP! This is something I never would've stumbled across on my own but is totally my jam.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 16, 2018

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Well that was an interesting experience. Thanks for the LP, I definitely would not have enjoyed buying this expecting it to be more of a game, but as an LP/Movie it works fine.

I didn't expecting the twist either and it was pretty good/horrible.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That was really good, thanks for 'playing' it. I'm interested to see evolutions of the genre.

I chose stay, because John will never make a good choice ever. :colbert:

e:

quote:

"John's mum was a soviet spy. She was supposed to off key personnel to ensure mineshaft superiority, which is why she had the anthrax, but then she decided to finish everyone else off with an axe so her son could live."
I was so close!

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 17, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

lofi posted:

I chose stay, because John will never make a good choice ever. :colbert:

C'mon, you don't want to think about John fighting mutated English wildlife? C'mon, live a little! :v:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

He'd be eaten by a shrew in seconds.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

lofi posted:

He'd be eaten by a shrew in seconds.

That's why I picked the Leave option. At least he'd be a rad meal for someone else!

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Of course this game set in the UK's final choice is to Remain or Leave :v:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

As far as the issue of supplies goes, remember that the bombs were dropping as John was being born. They were in the bunker for a good decade or so by the time of the flashback sequences, which could have been the original estimate for the surface being safe. Or maybe there's only so much room to shove cans into a bunker, or some similar practical concern.

Ending talk: It's pretty clear that the 'right choice' is supposed to be to Leave. The bookended "Breathe" prompts pretty well give that away.

It might take an extra week for me to start the next game, but I'll post a link here when that thread goes live.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh huh, its over already. I guess that is more of an "interactive experience" more than a game. With some editing it would even be a decent short film. You don't need failstates to make something a game but you do need to have something besides clicking on the occasional prompt.

Also I love that John just dabbled in the decayed chest cavity of some dead person for about 5 seconds longer than anybody actually would have. "Maybe the keys are below what remains of the liver!"

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Nice lp.

Like already said not really a game, but an interesting film with some good acting and production values.

i chose "leave". The perfect time to go back to the surface.
The intro showd that the bombs dropped when John was born, they ran out of food when he barely hit puberty and now he seems around 30. Of course i won't save him from being killed by his own inexperience and lack of equipment, but it is the thought that counts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose the question is, what are FMV games for now? I mean, the two from this studio basically could have been Telltale games except they used live action instead of computer animation.

As long as practical effects are more believable than CGI I suppose that's a niche. But as with Telltale it falls to having something interesting to do.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

The next game is finally up, for those interested: Late Shift

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

oldskool posted:

I'll admit I didn't see the twist coming, but that's mostly because I somehow didn't mentally connect the dots that all the flashback sequences were of the exact same period.
That's the kind of detail that's incredibly easy to overlook because it exploits the audience's knowledge of the medium. We're trained to ignore that kind of thing because it's generally not done intentionally but because of time and budget constraints. It's possible for it to be both forced on the production and worked into the story (as it likely was here) but it's pretty much impossible, as an audience, to use that kind of clue because most of the time you'll be wrong and just ruin the experience for yourself.

Some find that kind of thing clever, but I think it's cheap. It's not really tricking the audience, it's asking the audience to play along and pretend to be tricked and then acting like you really pulled the wool over our eyes. It only works because we were being generous in buying in to your story.

The ending also annoys me because it doesn't seem to say anything. It's this attitude of "we've asked the question, now you think about it". But they haven't really given us anything to think about because they avoided giving an answer. Rather than making an argument and inviting us to engage with it they've just provided a topic. And since this is a one-way dialogue there's nowhere to go with it. We aren't left thinking "they made a good point and I've changed the way I think about things" or "they made a good point but I still disagree" or even "they had a point to make but I don't think they put forward a good case" because they didn't even try to argue anything.

Even the game's one choice doesn't lead to anything. Like, what happens next? We have no way of knowing. We're not left wondering what happened to the protagonist because, well, we know he dies if he stays in the bunker and we've got absolutely no idea at all what happens to him if he leaves. For all we know the outside is also deadly to humans. Or maybe society's recovered in his absence and he finds a town and lives out his life. Or literally anything in between. One choice is just "he dies" and the other is "something else happens".

I also find myself wondering with "games" like this why they didn't just make a short film. I mean, they did make a short film, they just chose to package it as a game for some reason. I'm curious as to what that reason was. A group of people got together and decided to make this in this way and I'd like to know what the thought process behind it was.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Well, for one thing, I don't think you could get most people to pay $13 for a short film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

malkav11 posted:

Well, for one thing, I don't think you could get most people to pay $13 for a short film.

I don't think you could get most people to pay $13 for this game either.

• Locked thread