Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Gazpacho posted:

You surely know that airport security before 9/11 was not the big deal it is today.

But the broader point is that it used to be very uncommon for the American middle class to go around in jeans and the like, up until the 1970s

yeah I’d dress for 1960s flying if I got 1960s airport security screening and seat pitch and width

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Lowtax posted:

But Facebook didn't really steal anybody's data... morons willingly gave it up.

no one putting their favorite movies and poking their classmates in 2008 could reasonably know that it would evolve into a global ad surveillance platform, with hive/pixel etc.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Facebook helps you connect and share with the people in your life.* **

*we are going to datamine the poo poo out of everything you post and sell it to advertisers. also run psychological experiments on your timeline. and also "accidentally" leave a flash drive full of user profiles out on a table for cambridge analytica to find and maybe kill democracy

**we are going to help you whether you want us to or not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

yeah I’d dress for 1960s flying if I got 1960s airport security screening and seat pitch and width

Would you pay 1960s ticket prices for it?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

$138 sounds good to me :smug:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

PCjr sidecar posted:

no one putting their favorite movies and poking their classmates in 2008 could reasonably know that it would evolve into a global ad surveillance platform, with hive/pixel etc.

yeah, but even so the collection of that data is entirely tangential to getting racist grandpa's elected and kids offing themselves for twitch views (actually that should be some quip about incels really, which is such an internet thing while having far more impact, but it takes a lot more words)

it is not that it is unimportant, but if the conversation is how the internet has damaged society it is a footnote at most

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Richard are you mining my personal datas to build and sell a profile to advertisers? If not then you are doing internet wrongly.

Can I come visit when you are all better?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Has this been posted yet?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no because it is dumb

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

and deal with flight times roughly 2x longer

boston to la used to take 12 hours vs 6 now and nyc to frankfurt was 16 hours vs 8-ish now

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

PCjr sidecar posted:

damore and gamergaters are Classic Usenet Archetypes
itym Classic Usenet Nitwit Types

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PyPy posted:

Richard are you mining my personal datas to build and sell a profile to advertisers? If not then you are doing internet wrongly.

results: metamucil is very interested in your posts

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Has this been posted yet?

a modern day mona lisa

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Lowtax posted:

But Facebook didn't really steal anybody's data... morons willingly gave it up.

Well, there were people that had their data shared with others that they didn't give consent to because their friends shared it... the whole Cambridge thing

Also I wouldn't say FB is exactly clear to its users on how they are using their data

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
dont you want to be engaged by your favorite brands

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
its about ethic s in video game journalism

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hi Lowtax I hope you're doing okay.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

spankmeister posted:

Hi Lowtax I hope you're doing okay.

I'm really not but thank you

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
How many companies is SA selling my information to, and do I have to sign a new privacy policy release for the GDPR to help speed this along? I've noticed a lot of websites asking me to do that lately.

Also I hope you get better soon because surgery sucks except for the part where they pre-dose you with medication beforehand. They always told me to count back from 100 and I never got past 96, not even once.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

how's the ol' bonus eruptus going

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thanks for the plex invitation lowtax

NOT!!

:smith:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mo_Steel posted:

They always told me to count back from 100 and I never got past 96, not even once.

i asked if i could count from 10 and they said sure and i made it to 8

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Slight necro to say that was a genuinely interesting read of an article

And the briefer the guest quote, the more interesting and/or horrifying they were generally

Modern day tobacco companies knowing full well their product is addictive and not only not caring, but designing specifically to maximize it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mister Sinewave posted:

but designing specifically to maximize it.

TBH they've always done this?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Drawing a line to tobacco companies which are bad to say that thing too is bad was really easy, I'm just optimizing here

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
thanks for the new forum things. goondolences on the bills :sigh:

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

you know lowtax you have a real brain trust of computer fuckers here you can tap for how to do fourums

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah I'm very security conscious I changed my password to kjs600

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
lowtax i just want u to know i was here on 9/11

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

HoboMan posted:

you know lowtax you have a real brain trust of computer fuckers here you can tap for how to do fourums

the forums need someone who will actually do things. not 500 people offering to write the wiki

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They all end up being idiots or have their actual jobs needing more attention.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sweevo posted:

the forums need someone who will actually do things. not 500 people offering to write the wiki

tbf one guy offered to rewrite the forums in rust or something, in two months, for free

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

infernal machines posted:

tbf one guy offered to rewrite the forums in rust or something, in two months, for free

elixir

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

he was totally 50% done too iirc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
50% production ready code

no, you can't see it, it wouldn't look like anything..

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

spankmeister posted:

They all end up being idiots or have their actual jobs needing more attention.

i am currently only doing like 10 hours of actual work a month so i have some free time. i got my own consulting company and everything. i cut lowtax a good deal

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

jony neuemonic posted:

he was totally 50% done too iirc.

it was 80%

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
he never gave a percentage but 50% is correct*

Dr. Hans Klangwerk posted:

Yeah, it's not that it's half-baked (the parts I finished were production quality) but I doubt it would be very useful to anyone at this moment, since it's basically half a forum.

*actually correct number: probably 10% or something

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
make SA opensores, its the hell we deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

DrPossum posted:

I remember when some internet guy conned me out of money for spaceship drawings that never materialized. You'll never be as bad as him, Lowtax.

I'm the other person with a capybara avatar who is wondering where the spaceships are

• Locked thread