Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SA doesn't have a specific forum in which I can air my grievances re: the notoriously low ethics in our modern video game journalism industry

reddit 1
sa 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
imgur exists because of reddit and is an excellent source for pictures of rabbits

you should search for 'bunny' instead of 'rabbit' though because rabbit gets you a lot of weird poo poo that is not pictures of rabbits at all

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

jimmyjams posted:

what is reddit

If this could talk :goatsecx:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

Bots that jump into threads when they detect someone spelling something wrong. Whats the point

there's one that links to some lovely xkcd comic every time anyone uses the phrase "x rear end y", e.g. "ugly rear end baby". it's the closest thing current technology has to an autonomous murder bot because I want to die every time I see it

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Vargs posted:

there's one that links to some lovely xkcd comic every time anyone uses the phrase "x rear end y", e.g. "ugly rear end baby". it's the closest thing current technology has to an autonomous murder bot because I want to die every time I see it

every time anyone posts a picture of a rabbit someone always replies with the clip from Monty Python Holy Grail where they run away from the killer rabbit, like that's going to be funny underneath a picture of two rabbits eating hay

it's quietly infuriating

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Not just Reddit but it’s the worst example of modern recreational outrage

Getting people banned for saying Caitlyn Jenner is ugly and killed a man

Or firing people making racist jokes offhand

Or forcing businesses to grovel forgiveness from outraged online mobs due to pissing off king nerd of random Reddit group online

or selling the wrong trinket or not being supportive enough of cause of the week

gently caress this outrage culture

oval office, nigga, tranny, and retard, why are these words bad all of a sudden and other terms that used to be bad are suddenly fine (you couldn’t say colored people but now you have to say people of color)

Tried to do the same with Bossy but that was going too far

I don’t like having my language controlled, oh no they said a bad word! BLOCKED I only like to read people who agree with me!!!!

Online was supposed to empower the masses but now everyone’s drunk with power and using it for the pettiest poo poo instead of real problems

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you don't wanna get fired for saying something don't do it on an account associated with your real name, simple. You'd get fired for saying the poo poo irl at work it's gonna apply the same online

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Blue Train posted:

If you don't wanna get fired for saying something don't do it on an account associated with your real name, simple. You'd get fired for saying the poo poo irl at work it's gonna apply the same online

I can't believe anyone uses their real name on social media.

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"
I like it when these bots appear on every thread then the poem guy turns up and all of Reddit makes the same joke at the same time

NOT!!!!!!!!!

Learn about [us and our history](https://pcmasterrace.org/history).

PCMR isn't just a subreddit, but a very large community, founded in 2011 that is ALSO on reddit. [Check them out](https://pcmasterrace.org/communities)!

Please read our [rules](https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/rules) and check our ["Why PC?" guide](https://pcmasterrace.org/guide) and [custom builds](https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/builds)!

[Also check the folding@home joint effort where you can use your PC to fight against cancer and other diseases!](https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/5zkq9z/help_scientists_beat_cancer_and_other_

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Lol if you attach your real name to anything unprofessional and don't have all your Facebook privacy settings cranked to max.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

phasmid posted:

You wouldn't think so but people are dumb af

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
reddit is tolerable if you unsubscribe from all the default subreddits and your special interests aren't full of poo poo people

so basically if you ignore 99% of it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Tetracube posted:

reddit is tolerable if you unsubscribe from all the default subreddits and your special interests aren't full of poo poo people

yea

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Tetracube posted:

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Not just Reddit but it’s the worst example of modern recreational outrage

Yeah, reddit probably takes the cake when it comes to virtue-signaling. Even when you get out of the echo-chamber subs, redditors swarm to profess their good characters and right thinking ways any time something politically incorrect gets posted. This is probably because all the politically incorrect redditors went to voat and such after so many unsavory subs have been banned.

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid posted:

Some of us have nothing to hide! Donald J Trump taught me

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Libelous Slander posted:

I hate their User Interface, OP

they got a new one now that's way better because it requires next to no clicking and next to no exposure to the dipshits that post there

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Blue Train posted:

gently caress that

It’s a slippery slope - I can watch my language perfectly online and only agree with the current PC thinking, but what if my boss changes and he’s in the opposite side, or the government is, and why should my personal life online gently caress up my work if I’m doing it right, but I pissed off veganlovah69 online

For a second people were offended and you couldn’t call them Nazis

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I hate Reddit and actually every social network

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
my real name is dad gay. so what.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you don't have it associated with your name it doesn't matter what is accepted or not. Or for the pro move set up an account with the name and pictures of someone you don't like and post the most abhorrent poo poo possible. That being said yea social media sucks and I don't use it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Blue Train posted:

If you don't have it associated with your name it doesn't matter what is accepted or not. Or for the pro move set up an account with the name and pictures of someone you don't like and post the most abhorrent poo poo possible. That being said yea social media sucks and I don't use it

You HAVE to use it now

Jobs are asking for your Facebook account, or checking you online on the DL

This is going to swing hard the other way soon

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

One time I found my local subreddit for my city of Guelph and I posted hey can someone sell me some weed and the admins said please don't do that

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sid Vicious posted:

One time I found my local subreddit for my city of Guelph and I posted hey can someone sell me some weed and the admins said please don't do that

what is even the point then

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
rarepuppers is the loving worst

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what is even the point then

I know like, what people are gonna make friends on Reddit and hang out with their pal from Reddit I don't think so sell me some loving weed

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

You HAVE to use it now

the trick is to stay unemployed imo

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
What's wrong with saying "I don't use Facebook because I value my privacy?"

Honestly, my grandparents are on Facebook now. How cool can it be?

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

i had this happen to me so in ways it is genius that my true identity is even more private

Obeah
Apr 12, 2013

GO OVER GO OVER GOOVER GOOVER IT'S ALL GOOVY, BABY!
In the spring of 2017, I was at a Reddit meetup in Seattle and had an opportunity to meet The Guy Who Does the Hydraulic Press Videos on Youtube. He was extremely charming and confident, freely passing around his phone so that we could all watch previews of his upcoming (and premium) web series.

As the night went on, we eventually found ourselves alone at a corner booth in a skeevy bar we had all gone out to drink at. I had told him about my own personal passion for using large devices to crush random, everyday objects and had also told him I was working to save towards buying my own hydraulic press. I mentioned that I had been trying to find someone to guide and instruct me in the operation of one but to no avail. I was new to the community and had not yet met many people who could or would help me.

To be honest, I was a little buzzed. I had been served one and a half Sex on the Beaches (both of which The Guy Who Does the Hydraulic Press Videos on Youtube had ordered for me - a red flag, I know) and in that state, I think he was able to pick up on just how lonely and vulnerable I truly was.

He offered to take me over to his hotel room and let me try out his portable hydraulic press prototype. I was initially hesitant but relented as he assured me that his safety procedures were impeccable and that it would be a relaxing, chill experience. I remember very specifically, he kept saying "Crushing makes you feel good" over and over. It was very persuasive.

When we arrived at his hotel room, he immediately began plying me with CBD gummies and green tea. It was nauseating and disorienting, but I accepted them so as not to seem rude.

His "portable hydraulic press" was nothing more than a hammer with silver duct tape around the handle and a couple of caution stickers. This is when I began to realize something wasn't right.

I remember him calibrating the "hydraulic press" using several large, wooden cubes. He kept calling them his "cubies". It makes me sick to even think about it.

He then set up a camera and retrieved several VHS copies of The Sweet Hereafter, which is a good enough film not necessarily worthy of crushing. I told him this. Several times. I also told him that I was currently into watching another YouTube channel's VHS obliteration videos and that this felt weird. He didn't care.

He crushed them while I watched. Half drunk. Half delirious with a cocktail of CBD oil and caffeine. I felt like I couldn't breathe, couldn't move. I have never been more afraid or disgusted in my life.

If a hotel employee hadn't arrived to investigate the noise, I don't know what else he may have crushed or what else may have happened between us. I took an uber, something I really didn't have the money for, back to my own hotel and wept.

Seeing a video of him crushing a Furby and a block of Lego bricks a couple of weeks later, I decided I could no longer stay silent. I posted about our encounter and was banned from one subreddit after another. r/seattle, r/videos, r/letsnotmeet... all toxic environments looking to quiet the violated.

Reddit is a garbage place full of garbage people.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

You HAVE to use it now

-Have a fake Facebook account
-Don't put your face as your profile pic, set everything to friends only, accept no unsolicited friend invites, and deny a profile is yours except if your name is too unique to get away with it.

No company that involves itself with what you do off the clock is worth working for anyways.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Crushing makes you feel good

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

phasmid posted:

Someone who uses facebook would take it as an attack and get defensive (labelling you as difficult, cold and unfriendly, a crazy conspiracy theorist, etc)

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

phasmid posted:

nothing except to extreme weirdos who live online and have strange theories about what outside life is like

i like that
May 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

nothing except to extreme weirdos who live online and have strange theories about what outside life is like
aren't you a white man. nobody questions your motivations for things just that it is 'rational' and not their business

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

SpazmasterX posted:

-Have a fake Facebook account
-Don't put your face as your profile pic, set everything to friends only, accept no unsolicited friend invites, and deny a profile is yours except if your name is too unique to get away with it.

No company that involves itself with what you do off the clock is worth working for anyways.
All of this advice is too easy and sensible. Can't a poor goon just be outraged about his concept of outrage culture, like he clearly wants?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i like that posted:

aren't you a white man. nobody questions your motivations for things just that it is 'rational' and not their business

fair enough though man I wish that applied to things that weren't social media habits then

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Obeah posted:

In the spring of 2017, I was at a Reddit meetup in Seattle and had an opportunity to meet The Guy Who Does the Hydraulic Press Videos on Youtube. He was extremely charming and confident, freely passing around his phone so that we could all watch previews of his upcoming (and premium) web series.

As the night went on, we eventually found ourselves alone at a corner booth in a skeevy bar we had all gone out to drink at. I had told him about my own personal passion for using large devices to crush random, everyday objects and had also told him I was working to save towards buying my own hydraulic press. I mentioned that I had been trying to find someone to guide and instruct me in the operation of one but to no avail. I was new to the community and had not yet met many people who could or would help me.

To be honest, I was a little buzzed. I had been served one and a half Sex on the Beaches (both of which The Guy Who Does the Hydraulic Press Videos on Youtube had ordered for me - a red flag, I know) and in that state, I think he was able to pick up on just how lonely and vulnerable I truly was.

He offered to take me over to his hotel room and let me try out his portable hydraulic press prototype. I was initially hesitant but relented as he assured me that his safety procedures were impeccable and that it would be a relaxing, chill experience. I remember very specifically, he kept saying "Crushing makes you feel good" over and over. It was very persuasive.

When we arrived at his hotel room, he immediately began plying me with CBD gummies and green tea. It was nauseating and disorienting, but I accepted them so as not to seem rude.

His "portable hydraulic press" was nothing more than a hammer with silver duct tape around the handle and a couple of caution stickers. This is when I began to realize something wasn't right.

I remember him calibrating the "hydraulic press" using several large, wooden cubes. He kept calling them his "cubies". It makes me sick to even think about it.

He then set up a camera and retrieved several VHS copies of The Sweet Hereafter, which is a good enough film not necessarily worthy of crushing. I told him this. Several times. I also told him that I was currently into watching another YouTube channel's VHS obliteration videos and that this felt weird. He didn't care.

He crushed them while I watched. Half drunk. Half delirious with a cocktail of CBD oil and caffeine. I felt like I couldn't breathe, couldn't move. I have never been more afraid or disgusted in my life.

If a hotel employee hadn't arrived to investigate the noise, I don't know what else he may have crushed or what else may have happened between us. I took an uber, something I really didn't have the money for, back to my own hotel and wept.

Seeing a video of him crushing a Furby and a block of Lego bricks a couple of weeks later, I decided I could no longer stay silent. I posted about our encounter and was banned from one subreddit after another. r/seattle, r/videos, r/letsnotmeet... all toxic environments looking to quiet the violated.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As others have said, Reddit is just fine for niche hobbies where there isnt a lot of traffic. Anything else is a race to the bottom and the whole upvote system is broken and dumb.

Someone analyzed a bunch of data on upvotes and found that it all comes down to who posts first. People who post early in a thread during peak hours get a surge of initial upvotes and their comment stays at the top because it's more visible as the hours pass. The content doesnt matter as long as its not a blatant troll or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Obeah posted:

Your testicles were next and it sounds like you barely escaped with your life!