Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In a discussion about a restaurant closing down due to a lack of wheelchair access :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
:whitewater:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I mean...

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Reddit: A fiesta of problematic statements

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AcidCat posted:

:hmmyes:

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!

AcidCat posted:

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
For context the story involves a restaurant where the proprietors requested the landlord build a accessibility ramp and the landlord refused and let the restaurant just eat the lawsuit as a result. I wonder if any Redditors wanted to drag landlords behind trucks.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AcidCat posted:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

AcidCat posted:

:emptyquote:

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

AcidCat posted:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

FurtherReading posted:

Reddit will only perma people for poo poo like vote manipulation and spamming.

Beastie posted:

Mandela Effect continues to bring the absolute dumbest people:

I am permabanned from the Mandela Effect subreddit.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AcidCat posted:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AcidCat posted:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fiesta Cat! You can't just say that sort of thing! It's very at odds with your convivial image!

Orio
May 16, 2022

Beastie posted:

Mandela Effect continues to bring the absolute dumbest people:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEff...nt=share_button

Amazingly dumb. Also they're pretty clearly getting Desperate Housewives mixed up with Cougar Town.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nono, here's the thing: they've never heard of Cougar Town.

Airtight, really. The human mind doesn't passively pick up on things, like marketing. If they'd have heard of it, they'd know, they'd remember. So it's gotta be an alternate reality! Quod erat dumbass-stratum

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009
"Look, the notion that I've misremembered something from years or decades ago, in my childhood when my brain was still developing even, is ludicrous. I'm obviously in an alternate universe!"-what every Mandela effect thing sounds like to me

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Albert Einstain could figure this alternate reality poo poo out if he hadn't died in prison.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i love how the Mandela Effect is largely "i thought this word was spelled this way, but im one letter off, therefore im a special protag of the whole universe and ..." a bunch of other dumb poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I came over from a different Time Loaf

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

PhazonLink posted:

i love how the Mandela Effect is largely "i thought this word was spelled this way, but im one letter off, therefore im a special protag of the whole universe and ..." a bunch of other dumb poo poo.

language is a funky thing

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
-noam chomsky or someone

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
In my universe we called him Noah Chomsky

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
I thought he was called Gnome Chimpsky

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Minotaurus Rex posted:

I thought he was called Gnome Chimpsky

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nim_Chimpsky

Warning, it doesn't end well for the little guy.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

Don't discount how much is also not being able to tell black people apart.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
PYF had a mandela's mass effect thread.

and I posted how I learned the frozen fried bread fish brand is gor"t"ons and I've been mistakenly thinking gor"d"ons for decades.

simple spelling mistake of a single letter with similar sounds? or proof im the protag of a YA story and im about to save the supa gigatimeline?

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

kdrudy posted:

Don't discount how much is also not being able to tell black people apart.

I've had to tell people, irl, they were confusing Shaq's "Kazaam", which is real, for Sinbad's "Shazam" way more than I ever would have thought I'd have to. And they still get all stubborn about it and insist Shazam is a real movie despite Sinbad himself saying it doesn't exist.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This site is just as bad for that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like Sinbad voicing Sinbad the Sailor. - me a dumb kid that didnt know about anything about middle east mythology.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Willatron posted:

I've had to tell people, irl, they were confusing Shaq's "Kazaam", which is real, for Sinbad's "Shazam" way more than I ever would have thought I'd have to. And they still get all stubborn about it and insist Shazam is a real movie despite Sinbad himself saying it doesn't exist.
I'm unfamiliar with these people and movies, probably because they don't exist in my universe

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I'm not wrong it's the universe that's wrong

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Willatron posted:

that's because THEY got to him

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
They had to go damnatio memorae on Shazam because it was such a great movie nobody who had seen it wanted to see another movie ever again. It was that, or the total death of Hollywood

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023

MarcusSA posted:

This site is just as bad for that.

I acquit

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The episode of How To with John Wilson about Mandela effect is a pro-watch

Unsurprisingly there is a post on the Mandela effect subreddit about it where the people featured in the episode didn't realize he was mocking them https://www.reddit.com/r/MandelaEffect/comments/jxpxjw/mandela_effect_featured_on_hbos_how_to_with_john/

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
r/psionics has been an interesting subreddit to read. People who believe they have telekinesis, time control powers, etc. One topic it introduced me to is "psi balls".

quote:

Scientifically proving the existence of a Psi Ball

I'm wondering why nobody has contacted a scientist, created a psi ball, and subsequently moved it to touch that scientist's skin so that they can feel it and know it's real?
I create psychic constructs and conciously move my energy around all day, every day; there's no question that it's real, it's easy, and totally provable.

I've proven it to 90% of my friends (one of them just wasn't feeling it, no matter what), and now that I've been practicing it for about 23 years I've begun to wonder why no one has proven that the psi ball phenomenon is scientifically a reality?

It seems really easy to prove, even when being extremely nervous in front of a skeptic; to be fair, even when imagining myself proving a psi ball's existence to a skeptic I find it more than twice as difficult to form a decent psi ball, so there's common performance anxiety as an obstacle. Despite that, I believe that I should be able to get at least a few scientists to actually feel the presence of a psi ball I've created.

I mean, I can feel it extremely clearly: I form the psi ball and I feel it in the palm of my hand, I move it out and I stop feeling it, I move it from hand to hand and feel its presence in each hand that I've willed it to, I move it to touch my arms and face and back, etc. My hands are the most sensitive to this energy, so I'd bet that all that I'd need to do is: #1 form the psi ball, #2 nudge it mentally into the open hand of a waiting scientist (no hand motions needed), #3 move it from one of their hands to the other so they can be sure of what they're feeling. What I don't get is why no one has tried this to convince a scientist? I haven't heard of anyone trying this, anyway.... Do any of you know any instances of someone trying to prove a psi ball's existence to a scientist in a controlled setting?

There's even a helpful wikihow article about it.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
At least they're getting practice at being a mime.

"Reach into your solar plexus. Pull out the energy and shape it into a square. Repeat this process three more times, once in each cardinal direction. Attempt to escape this psi-prison while onlookers applaud and throw coins into your psi-hat."

Tune in next week for how to create and exercise a psi-dog.

Oh no! My psi-dog has escaped and is dashing uncontrollably towards a pair of fellow psionicists who are carefully carrying a psi-square between them!
Hijinks ensue.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Atopian posted:

Psijinks ensue.

I had totally forget about psi balls as a concept. I remember reading about them in a book about doing occult/metaphysical stuff that I loved to check out from the library as a kid, and I was so disappointed that it wasn't an energy weapon you could throw like Goku.

Almost as disappointing as the long complicated "invisibility spell" that I did before reading "it might only make you invisible on the astral plane!" as a footnote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It's so sad steve jobs died of psi