Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As others have said, Reddit is just fine for niche hobbies where there isnt a lot of traffic. Anything else is a race to the bottom and the whole upvote system is broken and dumb.

Someone analyzed a bunch of data on upvotes and found that it all comes down to who posts first. People who post early in a thread during peak hours get a surge of initial upvotes and their comment stays at the top because it's more visible as the hours pass. The content doesnt matter as long as its not a blatant troll or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Reddit also loves feminist strawman comics, lots of those make it to the top.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Remember when Reddit detectives got someone killed.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

The worst part about those recipies is that they can't write them like normal people. It's always like "chop your onions LIKE A BOSS and toss those motherfuckers in the pot. Then, carmalize those bitches. *posts Reddit meme drawing of a guy in shades

Just shut the gently caress up and describe the steps like a normal human.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Reddit is the definition of beating a dead horse. They'll take the dumbest joke and run it into the ground until it's reached the earth's core.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 20, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Reddit really loves drawing of celebrities that were copied from a photo. It's incredibly boring art.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

EA has a long history of making lovely games with DLC but I bought their latest game on day one anyway. It has lots of DLC and this is an OUTRAGE. Fellow redditors and gamers, rise up! We cannot allow devs do treat us like this!

*Preorders next Star Wars game as soon as the trailer comes out.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

ProperCoochie posted:

Ddoes anyone else remember this hidden gem?

*posts a picture of an N64 cartridge that sold millions of copies*

Does anyone else feel alone when it comes to their taste in movies? Everyone I know just watches crap!

*posts pick of Boondock Saints

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Reddit did give us r/legaladvice and r/relationships which are a goldmine of stupid people making stupid decisions.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I made a comic about what it's like to be an introvert.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Does anyone else do this perfectly normal thing?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Women argue that sexism exists but men have been dying in all the wars. Men of reddit, what do you think?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Reddit gave us incels, a literal terror group as of the attack in Toronto.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Fried Watermelon posted:

I had a reddit user call me a stoner as a way to win an argument because I follow r/trees

r/trees can be pretty insufferable though, so many posts about sages who smoke weed on the weekends instead of going to bars.

DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK ITS WEIRD THAT DRINKING IS SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE BUT SMOKING WEED ISNT, THINK ABOUT IT
*gets five thousand upvotes

I love weed but stoner culture is so awful.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I made some art to show what's wrong with modern society

*drawings of people wearing blindfolds made of money
*drawings of people staring into their phones while moving as a herd

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Doctors of Reddit, what causes [insert illness]

*dozens of posts that start with "well, I'm not a doctor but..."

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I didn't read this whole thread so pardon me if it's covered but I find it weird how any photo of an amputee with a new arm/leg gets a zillion upvotes. Now I come from a country where we don't send our children off to die in pointless wars (well not much) and we have free healthcare and a relatively healthy population so amputees are very rare here and maybe it's different in America but I don't get why anyone gives a drat about amputees.

It's an easy way to pat yourself on the back and show concern for ARE TROOPS while simultaneously supporting the military industrial complex that pulled these people into stupid and endless wars to begin with.

See Also: People who get livid avout football players kneeling at games even though they vote for politicans who wage war and cut VA funding.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 25, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Haha, us gamers.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

What is this poo poo?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Shania Twain posted:

"Who's cutting onions at my desk????"

"I'm a BIG GUY who is COVERED in MUSCLES and I have a BEARD and this made me shed a single MANLY tear. Wow"

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

LMAO at that karma guy describing reddit. I want to vomit.

quote:

This place is fascinating... The people you meet, the awesomeness you stumble upon, the awfulness too, it all clusters into one of the rare online bastions of our age where it all comes down to hominid online behavior. Fascinating to me, it's all very new to the Human race and it's great to be part of this, no matter how small it may appear in people's eyes, I see this as a glorious human achievements. This place tends to pull you in, the more you get involved with it the less you find reasons to stop coming here.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

imagine spending this much time and mental energy to write this giant complaint, and then end it with

LMAO holy poo poo this is insane. I initially thought this was about the people at Roll20 banning him but he still totally has access to the service, he just got banned from the subreddit. It was a gently caress up on the mods part but these redditors are acting like they threw someone into a gulag. I'd definitely sympathize more if a mod hosed up and banned him from Roll20 since it's a very popular platform for tabletop games and he paid for it but this is about a subreddit he never goes to.

Redditors chose the dumbest poo poo to get angry about and they always write a loving novel lol.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 26, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

What the gently caress is Bowsette. Asking goons instead of looking it up because I know a goon description will be much better at telling me why it’s bad.

If Bowser was a human with horns and tits.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol yeah the pro foreskin crowd is nuts. You can definitely argue that circumcision is a bit vain in the modern era but these guys act like being circumcised is some traumatizing event that prevents men from having any kind of fulfillment in their lives.

I'm pretty sure some pro foreskin nutter took over a silent hill wiki page.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 9, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

GORDON posted:

Sharing pictures of pets is the new sharing pics of kids.

Absolutely no one cares, and it's as annoying now as it was then. People think you're an idiot when you do either, and will make an effort to avoid you. So stop it, idiots.

Lmao imagine being such a contrarian you don't like pictures of dogs.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol what is it with boring dudes falling over themselves for dumbasses like Peterson.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Like he tells people to make their beds and they act like this is a revelation and then proceed to write a novel about how this changed them.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol seriously all these dissaffected white guys could volunteer at a soup kitchen, start a community garden, tutor kids, or do any number of awesome things that would give them the purpose they so desperately need but they just hitch their wagon with Peterson instead because everything I mentioned requires effort.

The internet has given so many people the ability to feel important without actually doing anything. Imagine what these guys could do if they just got involved with ANYTHING outside of video games and "philosophy"

But no, there gonna write essays about censorship in western versions of harem anime lol.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 30, 2018

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Reddit has this really aggressive "well actually..." culture where everyone's competing for upvotes by proving who's the biggest rational skeptic badass.

Yeah Reddit is full of people who think being a contrarian makes you smart.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

"Have you read Atlas Shrugged? I think you'll find a lot of compelling arguments against Climate Change there."

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Caesar Saladin posted:

would you guys be interested in writing some song lyrics in order with me, line by line post by post?

*starts with the most bland dad rock song that everyone knows while claiming to be born in the wrong generation in the footnotes.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol childfree people are nuts. Not wanting kids is fine, defining yourself by that and writing long paragraphs about how much ypu hate your cousin because she had a kid is loving mental.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Jeez, forgot this place was so left-leaning. Hahaha keep downvoting me I don't care!

I feel like every conservative redditor has to preface their posts by telling everyone how rare they are.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Redditors will let nazis have subreddits but if a company with a legacy for charging for DLC charges for DLC they grab the pitchforks.

If you want redditors to care about something it has to be through the lens of video games and star wars.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I mean for real if you give EA your money and act shocked when there's tons of DLC you're a genuine idiot. All of these people are gonna preorder the next game when the trailer drops.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol no one is saying that voting with your dollar is bad. Were making fun of the people who go on reddit and write a novel about how "devastated" and "betrayed" they are when huge companies do the souless poo poo they're known for.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

A giant media empire acted like a souless corporation? IM STILL GONNA BUY THEIR NEXT GAME BUT FIRST IM GONNA WRITE A NOVEL ABOUT THE UPCOMING GAMER REVOLUTUON AND SJWS.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

somehow gamers though have this cynical attitude like giant billion dollar game companies shouldn't be held to the same standard other giant billion dollar companies should and it is dumb as gently caress

No one has a problem with not buying poo poo games. We're making fun of gamers because they preorder poo poo the moment the trailer drops and basically help the game break even regardless of how good or bad it is. Then they rally on reddit and act like downvoting devs and sending them hate mail is some grand and noble battle.

Entertainment has never been held to a high strandard and companies universally go with what sells. No amount of impotent gamer rage is going to change the fact that Assasins Creed 90 with DLC is going to rake in cash because at the end of the day a lot of people are willing to toss away 60 bucks based on a trailer.

Consumers need to hold themselves to a higher standard but LMAO at the thought of that happening.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lol what is it about women having opinions that makes gamers so mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Overwatch is fun if you just wanna get baked with friends and gently caress around. It's an absolute nightmare if you solo queue and expect anyone to be cooperative, respectful, or even aware of their surroundings.

Online games in general have bad communities outside of discording with buds but it's amazing how a game centered around teamplay just attracts people who have zero interest in the concept.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 6, 2018