Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sid Vicious posted:

One time I found my local subreddit for my city of Guelph and I posted hey can someone sell me some weed and the admins said please don't do that

what is even the point then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

phasmid posted:

What's wrong with saying "I don't use Facebook because I value my privacy?"

Honestly, my grandparents are on Facebook now. How cool can it be?

nothing except to extreme weirdos who live online and have strange theories about what outside life is like

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i like that posted:

aren't you a white man. nobody questions your motivations for things just that it is 'rational' and not their business

fair enough though man I wish that applied to things that weren't social media habits then

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I understand the guns because plenty of people are insecure dumbasses with strange world views. I find the consistent appearance of lock picking sets way more strange and hilarious.

my daddy always said dress for the job you want and the job I want is RPG character

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 28, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this would be really pathetic if it was a pistol or something, but this way it fuckin owns

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I hope he keeps a grenade launcher in the toilet tank

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

imagine how lost you'd have to be to turn to reddit for any kind of advice, on any topic, and then imagine turning to reddit for parenting advice

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Marlboro for Cats posted:

What's with /r/RaisedByNarcissists?

Having bad parents can gently caress you up, I don't dispute that, but that sub seems to have a really weird culture, like they're obsessed with hating their parents and self-diagnosis.

What even counts as a "narcissist"? It seems like it's just anyone the poster doesn't like. And the poster is never to blame in whatever hosed up situation they're in, not a little bit, it's always the fault of the cabal of narcissistic parents and siblings and exes.

you know how if a megathread here runs on too long it gets colonized by weirdo one-note obsessives who spend all their time posting in that thread trying to one-up each other until they've all transitioned from haha funny joke to rooting through the goofy autistic guy's garbage and writing manifestos about how the Chinese are subhuman rat-men? That's the premise Reddit is founded on.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

don't dox my stream of consciousness

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Collapsing Farts posted:

Why did they turn on Neil degrasse tyson?

he started being pedantic and tiresome about their nerd media, like an idiot who doesn't know what he's talking about, instead of tiresome about pop-science poo poo they don't understand but think sounds impressive, like a real Rick Sanchez style genius

these are guys who think Elon Musk is an actual rocket scientist boy genius who's personally inventing his space planes to fly them to Alpha Centauri and the legion of engineers he bought with other peoples' money are, like, just a fashion accessory or something

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 10, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what if we made a site that was just the Youtube comments section, without all the videos

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nerds get all smug about how 90s moms were wrong about video games turning kids into school shooters when the only wrong part was being overly optimistic about what they'd turn into

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

technology has not yet advanced enough that bots could accurately simulate being that dumb

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

I bet if you looked at each subreddit and calculated the amount of hours each user was on and engaged in the site the more active users would be trump supporters

there's a certain kind of person who's on Reddit 14 hours a day posting (not reading) like it's their life's mission, you can make some safe assumptions about what he's posting about, and yeah that guy's making as much of a contribution to the "discourse" on Reddit as scores of normal users. Because of how Reddit's whole feedback/user system works, he's either got thirty majillion karma and a gold star and is mod of his own subreddit about feminazis and is counted as one of the site's most upstanding members, or his account will be abandoned for a fresh one or three inside a month when people start to tune him out as an obvious troll.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 16, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

The users of my city's subreddit are all shits

Lot's of native americans deserve to be poo poo on posters, people complaining about liberals for some reason, people complaining about how a transphobic radio host got kicked off his show

It's also weirdly cliquey with in jokes and memes

The city police department has an official account on it too and he always jumps in to defend whatever the police are doing or giving unsolicited advice on things while being condescending

my old town had an actual non-reddit community forum and it was wall-to-wall Nazis screaming about how they saw a negro at the ice cream shop and why weren't the cops doing anything

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gbs but from 2004 posted:

*makes exactly the same pun in reply*

I see what you did there.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

he called me a pussy for running away like it was going to get me to stop and be robbed lol

wonder how often that works, guessing more than never

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 19, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Vim Fuego posted:

Sucks to your assmar

the thread is good again

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

reddit jerks itself silly making GBS threads on HAES i dunno what you guys are talking about

reddit has room for HAES echo chambers and fatpeoplehate obsessives, it is large, it contains multitudes of horrible nerdlingers

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

so just extreme anger irrespective of trans stuff

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

learnincurve posted:

I would have thought advocating for the volcano for all TERFs would be a fairly universally held opinion no matter where you lie on the political spectrum.

do you have any idea how hard it is to find a volcano that only burns people with XY chromosomes

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh poo poo

oh no

the ultimate comeback

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

AWarmBody posted:

I'm the blood poisoning from having a dead man's cremated body put in my skin

i'm the dad who's gonna haunt this nerd's rear end forever for desecrating my corpse for epic gamer upboats

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Morphix posted:

Top 3 Things Reddit Loves

1) Rape News Stories
2) Sassy Black Twitter
3)

3) Science, by which I mean motivational quotes over a CGI star background

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

video game weddings are more just unimaginative than tasteless now, you gotta up the ante if you want your proposal to get that sweet sweet internet cred

vore themed wedding

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Obfuscation posted:

People don't write that stuff because they think that they are making a great post, they do it because that's what gets you upvotes. Reddit has gamified white noise posting, and the system teaches people to post nothing but the blandest poo poo and the most boring catchphrases over and over again.

let's be real this was 100% of online communities long before Reddit

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it is said that if you say a story didn't happen and it turns out to really not have happened, the OP has to give you a pot of gold. Can't hurt to try! Every single time!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

"industrial toilet" implies some kind of manufacturing process and just the worst factory

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Julius CSAR posted:

psssh, I mean I guess the mouse house may be worse than others but I have a friend that does sports merchandising and when he was managing the merch stores/kiosks at FedEx field he came in on day to see a stack of DeShuan Jackson Redskins jerseys and he snapped a pic and posted it on twitter. Would have been fine except that the Redskins hadn't announced the acquisition and his tweet wound up on Sports Center.

He didn't get fired, I have a hard time believing this dude did either.

Wait why am I serious posting about a drat reddit thread gently caress

your friend sounds a lot less expendable than that guy and like his leak was far less directly connected to the very few expectations for his job

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

lol that guy has to pay his fleshlight to gently caress him

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

skooma512 posted:

I got banned from latestagecapitalism with no notice for... reasons?

Like everytime I post there I'm fine, I guess I went into a FORBIDDEN subreddit and they found out. lol love how subreddit mods act like such princesses and track people down based on petty poo poo or perceived slights against their ideology, even if someone actually is most of the way to agreeing with them.

If you're really committed to wasting your life in this specific way it's not like creating a new account takes effort or the incredible brain geniuses of Reddit ever notice that you just immediately came back posting exactly the same under a new name. They're banhappy as all hell cause getting banned there is, like, less an obstacle to shitposting than getting a sixer here

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mrfart posted:

I honestly don't get how you find anything on reddit.

Do you just search poo poo you are interested in and hope there's a /r?
Or do you just randomly deadeye browse the popular poo poo and hope for something mildly amusing?
I mean, there's no forum structure or am I totally missing that?

Yes, I'm aware I sound old.

there is absolutely guaranteed a subreddit for whatever you happen to be looking for, reddit is loving immense, there's just fair odds it gets updated once a month by the single absolute lunatic who treats it as his online hermitage and deletes any posts that aren't his or some poo poo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ottermotive Insanity posted:

Fun game: write within the prompt, but poo poo all over their edgy idea. Make the main character the neckbeardiest nonhero, full of failure.

do you think they genuinely think Tom from Myspace would be a really badass action protagonist or something

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

do lobsters wear makeup? QED

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

75 pages for this thread to degenerate entirely into sharing time on how we feel about onions and griping that upvotes exist. Reddit.... good?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Shrimps look nothing like cockroaches. You can't peel a roach to reveal bits of nice white meat.

You ever even tried grilling a roach my man

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

underage at the vape shop posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree/comments/9gg3uo/contraceptive_pill_shortage_in_australia/

so all of r/childfree is bad but i dont get this girl. so her normal contraceptive pill is unavailable, presumably all the similar ones will be too because of an ingredient shortage. she reveals in the comments that the doctor took her through a wide range of alternatives, she said no to all of them, including different pills and condoms. Then its the doctors fault when he finally says, if you can't take any pills or try anything else, or have your boyfriend use condoms, your only remaining option is abstinence? Am I missing something? she and all the commenters want to get the doctor fired. normally reading this stuff i get where they are coming from but here its just ???

She's fighting the unfair stereotype that the I'd like to speak to the manager lady is a soccer mom

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nah youtube has videos in addition to the comments

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

literally how is this different from the gold star poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Don't worry, now they have Barnstars 2.0, and it's indeed a load of masturbatory bullshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars

Wikipedian culture is a lot less in-your-face about it than like youtube and reddit but they are tremendously, immeasurably more insane