Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I just picked this up on sale for 8 bucks after hearing so many good things about it. I've been craving a CRPG that was just a straight-up brutal dungeon crawler and this really scratches that itch, cleared the first few levels on the 'darkest' setting and im really loving it so far. The artstyle is really cool and the enemy designs are sick

I still have no idea what im doing in terms of managing characters' quirks and stress levels, it really feels like the game is out to kill you, you're organically forced to make tough calls and sacrifices to protect your leveled up important characters or all the poo poo you've looted. It's nerve-racking and fun as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I hired the epic narrator from the game to say Thanks for buttfucking that sub button brotherman. on my stream.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

I hired the epic narrator from the game to say Thanks for buttfucking that sub button brotherman. on my stream.

lmao

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
everything i've heard on it makes it sound like absolute poo poo (with roguelike elements).sorry for your loss OP.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Nah it's pretty good , the combat system is really cool for what's sort of a JRPG style setup with a lot of focus on positioning and also moving enemy positions around . A bunch of really distinct classes with interesting skill synergies too, combat reminds me a whole lot of Etrian Odyssey in that way.

I'm slowly getting to the hard difficulty missions and I'm finding it kind of grindy though -- leveling up characters is easy but getting the resources I need to upgrade their equipment and skills seems like it's going to be repetitive, unless I'm just being really inefficient somehow at it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Squeezy Farm posted:

everything i've heard on it makes it sound like absolute poo poo (with roguelike elements).sorry for your loss OP.

stfu

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

Nah it's pretty good , the combat system is really cool for what's sort of a JRPG style setup with a lot of focus on positioning and also moving enemy positions around . A bunch of really distinct classes with interesting skill synergies too, combat reminds me a whole lot of Etrian Odyssey in that way.

I'm slowly getting to the hard difficulty missions and I'm finding it kind of grindy though -- leveling up characters is easy but getting the resources I need to upgrade their equipment and skills seems like it's going to be repetitive, unless I'm just being really inefficient somehow at it

thats what eventually soured me on the game. the first 2/3 of the game is really cool, but there's a huge grind at the end that takes a long time to get through. everything up to that point kicks rear end though. maybe the expac made that better, i'll have to check it out

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Fungah! posted:

thats what eventually soured me on the game. the first 2/3 of the game is really cool, but there's a huge grind at the end that takes a long time to get through. everything up to that point kicks rear end though. maybe the expac made that better, i'll have to check it out

I've heard the campaign part of the expac is super hard and makes the normal campaign more difficult by turning your people into vampires so I'm saving it for another playthrough. Just doing the new class & the "monuments" feature that gives you additional town upgrade options. Apparently the new difficulty they added, Radiant, doesn't make the game that much easier but just makes it shorter/less grindy so maybe playing on that is the way to go but I wanted to try Darkest mode for my first time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

from the video that sold me on the game, im guessing the grindy endgame is to force you to send people on suicide missions to grab more money and resources, there's a torch mechanic where having a lot of light reduces stress and encounter difficulty, but low light improves rewards.

so you grab a bunch of freshmeat and send them into hell with the bare minimum supplies like a cold hardass(easier said than done because i tried to do this and just got everyone killed but im also not good at this game lmao)

theres also options to turn off certain things players might find disagreeable like enemy corpses and crits or stress penalties for skipping turns, im not touching them for this first playthrough but it's nice the devs let you tune stuff like that down if you find it annoying or unfair

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

from the video that sold me on the game, im guessing the grindy endgame is to force you to send people on suicide missions to grab more money and resources, there's a torch mechanic where having a lot of light reduces stress and encounter difficulty, but low light improves rewards.

so you grab a bunch of freshmeat and send them into hell with the bare minimum supplies like a cold hardass(easier said than done because i tried to do this and just got everyone killed but im also not good at this game lmao)

theres also options to turn off certain things players might find disagreeable like enemy corpses and crits or stress penalties for skipping turns, im not touching them for this first playthrough but it's nice the devs let you tune stuff like that down if you find it annoying or unfair

because of some mechanics that change for the endgame money/trinkets arent the limiting factor by the end, it's character levels. i dont want to get into specifics because it's a cool thing, but theres definitely a grind you cant get around by sending fresh recruits into the meat grinder

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well i guess i'll see, it'd be a bummer if it felt like a slog towards the end but i feel like theres enough elements here to keep things fresh and exciting even if you're re-doing levels, all I know rn is I want to play this all day as soon as I get the chance

ive just wanted a crpg but they're ancient or modern ones tend to be super story-heavy like PoE which isnt my thing, I love that there's very little to this game besides dungeon crawling and recruiting/training/healing people to dungeon crawl and the actual combat is really good deep jrpg stuff

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

anyway everything that gets you to that point rules and i haven't played the game since before the expac came out so maybe there are fixes for it or workarounds that didnt exist before. point is, game is real cool

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

well i guess i'll see, it'd be a bummer if it felt like a slog towards the end but i feel like theres enough elements here to keep things fresh and exciting even if you're re-doing levels, all I know rn is I want to play this all day as soon as I get the chance

ive just wanted a crpg but they're ancient or modern ones tend to be super story-heavy like PoE which isnt my thing, I love that there's very little to this game besides dungeon crawling and recruiting/training/healing people to dungeon crawl and the actual combat is really good deep jrpg stuff

oh yeah, definitely. the minute to minute gameplay is really good, the combat is smart and fun, exploring dungeons can get super tense, and town/character management is great. TBH talking about it is giving me the itch to play the game lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I actually forgot about the low torch/more loot mechanic, that helps a lot. I'm not to whatever Fungah is talking about, I'm just at the point where I need a lot of heirlooms to get weapon/armor/skill upgrades for my level 5 characters because they get wrecked in hard missions, but the medium missions have gotten a little too easy/safe.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

*unfurling an ancient scroll* Bob is known as a peerless appraiser of indie treasure.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Wormskull posted:

*unfurling an ancient scroll* Bob is known as a peerless appraiser of indie treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmmQxXPOMMY

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Squeezy Farm posted:

the grinding sounds miserable tbh, and it's much uglier than wizardry 6: bane of the cosmic forge (DOS)

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

mysterious loyall X posted:

the grinding sounds miserable tbh, and it's much uglier than wizardry 6: bane of the cosmic forge (DOS)

my wizardry 6 google alert went off

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

I liked it but found it lacking in content. Too much grinding and fighting the same enemies/bosses for 5000 hours

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

my wizardry 6 google alert went off

i wish the snes version had a better fan patch becasue it has 3 tilesets instead of 1 tileset good stone forests

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
The fresh meat grinder killed my interest in the game in higher difficulty areas. It's pretty great up until that point though and 8 bucks for even that amount of an experience is a pretty good deal. If it so happens that you still enjoy the nature of the endgame you've made a killing OP

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

i wish the snes version had a better fan patch becasue it has 3 tilesets instead of 1 tileset good stone forests

games used to have more imagination..

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I know it's against people's gaming instincts but playing on Radiant mode eliminates the grinding without making the game any easier otherwise. I don't think I'd have loved the game as much as I did if I'd played it on the other difficulty.

I really wanna replay this but I'm waiting for the new DLC to come out so I can do it with both DLCs active and suffer all the consequences now that I know what I'm doing. I skipped the first DLC because in my first attempt I had it on and it adds a lot of complications that made it difficult to get the hang of the core game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Wormskull posted:

lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

I know it's against people's gaming instincts but playing on Radiant mode eliminates the grinding without making the game any easier otherwise. I don't think I'd have loved the game as much as I did if I'd played it on the other difficulty.

if this is really the case they could've used some better language to describe it lol, but apparently the grindy stuff only afflicts the later parts of the game. i guess ill see if it's really that bad soon enough, maybe theyve tuned it since the last time some of you have played

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah definitely do not get the DLC for your very first play through because it will gently caress you over if you don’t know what you’re doing.

My biggest trap my first time playing was spending way too much money on my guys, especially clearing bad traits or just destressing them. If a low level guy gets a crippling trait or like 99 stress off his first run, just dismiss him and hire another.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

god drat the crimson court can gently caress you up

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

extremebuff posted:

if this is really the case they could've used some better language to describe it lol, but apparently the grindy stuff only afflicts the later parts of the game. i guess ill see if it's really that bad soon enough, maybe theyve tuned it since the last time some of you have played

yeah lol the description reads like hey idiot. this is the baby version of the game for morons

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fungah! posted:

yeah lol the description reads like hey idiot. this is the baby version of the game for morons

Yup that was my first thought too but I looked up what they actually changed and it's mostly 1) faster exp gain so you don't have to grind people up forever and 2) you can upgrade the carriage to have level 4 people show up instead of just up to level 3. There are some other minor changes too, but those are the big ones. All stats and the moment to moment dungeon gameplay is the same.

Apparently it turns an 80 hour game into a 40 hour one which seems insane to me that they designed it the longer way in the first place.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

accidentally summoned some alien poo poo and it nearly wiped my party on the first turn, jesus

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

My save file in this just broke in the dark forest, the section with no graphics at all. never gonna beat it now

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

My save file in this just broke in the dark forest, the section with no graphics at all. never gonna beat it now

there's probably a save editor you could use to recreate your characters and levels but idk if you coudl cheat your way back to where you were with the same inventory goondolences

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah I tried to open my save in an editor and it's corrupted. RIP level 19 lizardman fighter that never class changed, and the rest of my crappy party. I may just move on to 7 and replay 6 in like 5 years

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

*Looks at today’s date* Dankest Dungeon.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Crimson Kush

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

one of my guys reached 200 stress and his heart failed, RIP

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

extremebuff posted:

one of my guys reached 200 stress and his heart failed, RIP

On today of all days.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

at least he died doing what he loved; having bob mismanage him into insanity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

got Dankest Dungeon on Switch today to celebrate the day. i've been waiting to get it for ages since i wanted it on handheld and this seems perfect.

• Locked thread