Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
"The maga crowd is not a coyote" sez shia's man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conventionalcat
Dec 17, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
anyone think he's going to move leftward intentionally starting with his vague "i love trump thats my boy [for public persona vs media 'dragon energy' reasons]' and mental slavery stuff, to try and appeal to the right the way that many political commentators were saying was the magic sauce missing from the democrat party? like he bought into that idea and is gonna let TI, John Legend, Charlamagne etc. 'talk him out' of his views to some degree, eventually disavowing Trump when something out of all the bad poo poo finally sticks strong enough. etc

i am aware that this theory puts me in the kanye version of the 'trump's playing 3D chess' crowd, but somethin about the situation makes me want to put this prediction out there. my overly optimistic hope is his album pulls a 180 and has a trump diss song on it

e: thankfully someone else put way more effort into this theory than me and i missed it earlier
https://twitter.com/Snowcone965/status/991695769714479104

conventionalcat fucked around with this message at 06:01 on May 24, 2018

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Album is up on tidal. For the 4 people who use it.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's on Spotify too.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

conventionalcat posted:

my overly optimistic hope is his album pulls a 180 and has a trump diss song on it

The dude has a mental disorder; being famous and rich and black makes it worse...
Honestly, I too wish it was more "interesting" than this.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The album is actually really chill and good, with a pretty good flow from brash to more reflective in the end. The only track that fell flat for me was Wouldn’t Leave.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
HAHAHA THAT loving COVER

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Album is good. Daytona is good too.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
This is going to be one of those albums that grows on you but tbf that's everything he's done since Graduation except MBDTF so business as usual.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?
Is it seriously only 23 minutes long lmao

I've taken dumps that lasted longer than this album

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

LoonyLeif posted:

Is it seriously only 23 minutes long lmao

I've taken dumps that lasted longer than this album

I guess the "other half" is coming in a week or so, with the Cudi album

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Mash posted:

I guess the "other half" is coming in a week or so, with the Cudi album

Yeah. And he entirely produced the new pusha T album (also less than half an hour) so between the three it’s plenty of new Ye.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I see a lot of negativity about this album but I’ve listened to it on repeat since I woke up today and really, really like it. It’s very focused and the production is beautiful. I can understand the criticisms of the lyricism but really I don’t think it’s much worse than average for Kanye. I heard it’s like “sitting in on a therapy session” as a complaint but I like that aspect, it’s a deeply personal project that’s dealing with mental illness in a unique and refreshing way.

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 1, 2018

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I might warm up to it. It feels more competent than Pablo, but right now it's just eh for me.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
"None of us would be here without cum" might be the new most ridiculous Kanye line.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Whoever said this was going to be Kanye's King of Limbs was on point, where it's way too short and stylistically not that much of a departure from the previous works compared to the other albums.

As for lyrically... y'know, at the start of this year, I was thinking I really wanted a Kanye album to check up on how he's doing and what he's thinking and, uh, I definitely got that! Kanye's always inspiring in his own way, and in this case, it's that someone as talented as Kanye can be having the same writing block problems as everyone else since 2016 because did he really do all this Twitter bullshit just to come up with new lyrics for his new album? Looks like.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I don't know why people like The Life of Pablo so much.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Solitair posted:

I don't know why people like The Life of Pablo so much.

Ultralight Beam, FSMH, Famous, Feedback, Real Friends, and No More Parties in LA are songs I still listen to regularly. Real Friends is also one of my favorites across all albums.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
http://yenerator.com/

And, before anyone else can post it:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

MrSargent posted:

Ultralight Beam, FSMH, Famous, Feedback, Real Friends, and No More Parties in LA are songs I still listen to regularly. Real Friends is also one of my favorites across all albums.

I felt an immediate connection with all of Kanye's albums prior to The Life of Pablo that rarely happens when I listen to music albums. The Life of Pablo just felt like another album that dozens of other artists could have made. It has more duds on it than 808s and Heartbreak, possibly more than his first six albums combined. The last time I listened to it, it felt like half-baked gospel mixed with B-side ideas from MBDTF and 808s. It and Arcade Fire's Everything Now are my biggest musical disappointments in recent memory. And I tell you, Kanye's recent behavior has made me very disinclined to reevaluate my opinion on The Life of Pablo or give Ye a shot.

Good Canadian Boy
May 12, 2013

Solitair posted:

I felt an immediate connection with all of Kanye's albums prior to The Life of Pablo that rarely happens when I listen to music albums. The Life of Pablo just felt like another album that dozens of other artists could have made. It has more duds on it than 808s and Heartbreak, possibly more than his first six albums combined. The last time I listened to it, it felt like half-baked gospel mixed with B-side ideas from MBDTF and 808s. It and Arcade Fire's Everything Now are my biggest musical disappointments in recent memory. And I tell you, Kanye's recent behavior has made me very disinclined to reevaluate my opinion on The Life of Pablo or give Ye a shot.

LOL okay mom.

Album is fire.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

i think he missed an opportunity there

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Thoughts on ye:

The album is bi-polar itself. Kanye opens up with, "The most beautiful thoughts are always besides the darkest". The first two tracks (1,2) are rather dark. The second two (3,4) can be interpreted as beautiful. "No Mistakes" goes dark, while "Ghost Town" goes beautiful again. "Violent Crimes", despite having a dark name and tone in lyrics, has a beautiful beat.

But :shrug:. I'm really enjoying this album, regardless

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The Kanye/Kid Cudi collab is up

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ye will be released on physical media. Score one for the record stores!

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
folks who are hankerin for more of that that ""old" ye" should check out djds' big wave more fire. its basically 2 life 2 pablo from one of the key architects of that era's sound https://tidal.com/album/88755463 http://smarturl.it/DJDS_BWMF

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future
after a month and a half, I really dig the first three "surgical summer" releases (not as interested in Nasir). I think I'm in the minority, but my ranking is ye-KSG-DAYTONA with all of them being at least "really good" IMO

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ye is the one I listen to the most these days and probably my favourite now yeah. even if the lyrics are his weakest, the music/guest appearances are as great as ever.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ye is the only one I'm still listening to. Occasionally KSG

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Sooo he’s tweeted another album called YANDHI out on the 29th of this month. Great another rushed album?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
If it's truly in the spirit of YEEZUS then I'm pumped hella

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
You're burying the lead. Good rear end Job is finally coming out, and it's a collab with Chance the Rapper!

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
give it to me yeezy I can take it all

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
So: throne 2, yeezus 2 and a chance collab supposedly all on deck? Okay. That said, totally on board for Yandhi if the beats are super nasty acid techno-influenced again.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 18, 2018

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Where has he said it’s yeezus inspired? Are we just basing it off the pic?

It so great

I wish he didn’t randomly tweet poo poo like is throne 2 an actual thing?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Jay acknowledged it in the last week

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
So yandhi missed it's release date and this thread didn't even notice. Has ye finally soured the well completely? I can generally separate someone from their art but I'm pretty tired of his opinions at this point.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
As a fan, I think it's a mix of his increasingly stupid opinions and the reduced quality of the music. The college trilogy was brilliant and innovative, 808s inspired a movement in hiphop and RnB, MBDTF is in contention for best (hiphop) album ever, and Yeezus was visceral, critical and relevant. TLOP was inconsistent with several moments of brilliance but also flashes of both stupidity and indifference. Ye and KSG both went further in this direction, with massive shifts in quality from track to track. My expectations for Yandhi are low, both because of his recent inconsistent form and because of the sheer stupidity of his opinions over the last year or tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Donovan Trip posted:

So yandhi missed it's release date and this thread didn't even notice. Has ye finally soured the well completely? I can generally separate someone from their art but I'm pretty tired of his opinions at this point.
The rap thread noticed. This thread is kinda redundant because he's already being discussed in there.

Did you see his episode of SNL last night? It was a loving embarrassment. He did a godawful performance of an edited version of I Love It with him and Lil Pump both dressed up in giant water bottle suits, a new song with Teyana Taylor and Ghost Town. After the show ended and the cameras stopped rolling, he went on this diatribe about how he wore a MAGA hat on stage despite everyone telling him not to, about how he's gonna run for President in 2020, about how Donald Trump isn't a racist, etc., and he has the host and cast of the show on stage with him while he's doing this and they're just shaking their heads and rolling their eyes and walking off stage. There's video of it out there.

Dude's a god drat clown. Hearing he might be releasing a follow-up to Yeezus had me excited at first, but between stuff like that SNL episode and remembering all his garbage politics lately and hearing that he's putting noted sex predators XXXTentacion and 6ix9nine on the album, it's hard to give a gently caress about it.

I guess we'll see if it even comes out. He took out ads and billboards and poo poo for the album with that iMessage containing the 9.29.18 date and then he missed it, which is kinda hilarious.

• Locked thread