Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Gatts posted:

Superman vs Vegito (SSJ -> Blue -> UI)

No time limit merger

Raw Strength: Superman
Speed: Vegito (Instant Transmission gives the edge and if he had UI, he'd instinctively be able react to Superman)
Durability: Superman (Vegito would need sensu beans to recover health/stamina at some point, not sure what limitations Superman has to being exhausted)
Beam/Intangibles: Vegito (Has a lot of powers to pull out of rear end)
Intelligence and Wisdom: Superman
Attitude and Personality: Vegito
Grit: Vegito

It would be a solid match. It would be more of a question of when Vegito gets tired that'll allow Superman's inevitable victory.

I see this fight going as Vegito over-confident, strong up front for an offensive, surprising Superman and sparring with him but Superman's durability pulling him through. Mid game will show Vegito can't take hits from Superman for too long so it's going to be keep away beam battle and Vegito being creative with his powers. Late game will have Superman figuring out Vegito's tricks, Vegito going low on stamina and needing beans, and pulling a Spirit Bomb to which Superman is going to survive it. Finally Superman still being able to go and Vegito drained, it will take one punch to put him down for the count.

It boils down to Superman's durability and stamina being superior because it would be an attrition fight.

Now if Vegito can figure out that Superman needs a yellow sun....but not sure he's that smart to figure it out versus being told.

Nah, son, real talk: it don't matter. If one writer be all like "I love superman," then Superman be the top dollar. If the other writer be all like "Goku is my man", then Goku will be the loving killer. They don't exist, son. They're imaginary. They only win if you want them to win. They lose when you want them to lose. Goku got iced by a loving laser beam from a space smurf once. poo poo only matters if the writer wants it to. That's comics, man. Be chill and learn to be cool.

Gavok posted:

Dumbest Death Battle ever was Flash vs. Quicksilver because from the moment it was announced, everyone wondered why they were wasting an episode on an obvious mismatch.

Yo, so, like, I recognize the obvious irony here, but this is a dumbass head to head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
In reality, Goku vs Superman would either have Superman winning by powering up for an extended time in the sun or Goku winning by reaching Super Ultra Instinct Saiyan God Kaiyoken x20 form.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

punk rebel ecks posted:

In reality, Goku vs Superman would either have Superman winning by powering up for an extended time in the sun or Goku winning by reaching Super Ultra Instinct Saiyan God Kaiyoken x20 form.

In all reality, they'd just go out and team up and give Darkseid and Freeza a wedgie and that's for real. Uh huh, that's for real.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Superman - Vegito merger. That's where it's at.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Covok posted:

In all reality, they'd just go out and team up and give Darkseid and Freeza a wedgie and that's for real. Uh huh, that's for real.

Uhh did you SEE Super?

Freeza is on the road to becoming good now.

Gatts posted:

Superman - Vegito merger. That's where it's at.

Suvegito
Vegitman
SuperVegito

Covok
May 27, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Uhh did you SEE Super?

Suvegito
Vegitman
SuperVegito

Yo man, freezer made it clear he ain't stopping his evil ways, son. And that's what's up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Superman - Goku: Kal-karotto
Wolverine - Vegeta: Vegan (hurr durrf)
Captain America - Gohan: Captain Saiyaman
Martian Manhunter - Piccolo: Martian Manicolo
Damien - Goten: Gotemien
Thor - Trunks: Thunks
Juggernaut - Broly: Broggernaut or Juggly

Gatts fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 25, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gavok posted:

I always liked how Death Battle handled Superman vs. Goku. They animated this big fight and had Superman win, explaining that Superman has Goku's top form beat in every category to a huge degree. The closing statement was that Goku's deal is that he's constantly breaking his limits while Superman has no limits to begin with.

Years of angry DBZ fans complaining followed while the Death Battle guys shrugged and went, "We don't even like Superman. We think Goku is way more interesting. But seriously, Superman trumps him in every way."

Finally, they did a rematch episode because Goku had since upgraded into two more forms and Superman gained some new power or something. While a lot of people expected Goku to win this time (why else would they do it?), instead they animated him as getting clowned even harder with a lengthy follow-up explaining that, no fooling, Superman has this because he's more ridiculously overpowered than you realize.

The problem with their take on it is that they didn't follow their own rules.

Yeah, if you take any version of Superman ever written, Superman wins. Golden age Superman farts a galaxy at him while pantsing Jimmy Olsen, Superman One Million or the dumb Cosmic Armor one are for all intents and purposes omnipotent gods that don't even function in the same sort of reality as their source character and so forth. Death Battle didn't do that, though. In the first fight they used Post-Crisis Superman, and in the rematch they (supposedly) used New 52 Supes. Both versions cheated by pulling from elseworlds poo poo like All-Star Superman, but even ignoring that, their central thesis, that Superman can't lose because he has no limits is dumb when you are using versions of the character who have been shown to die.

Post-Crisis Superman has defined limits on his powers at any given time. He gets straight up murdered by Doomsday in a fight, and while he does come back and beat the poo poo out of Doomsday in later issues, that doesn't mean he didn't have a limit at the time. New 52 Superman routinely lost fights because he isn't a walking god, just a really strong guy. The whole point was to take a version of Superman with a relatively defined set of abilities, so going "Lol, he has no limits even though he gets his rear end beat on the reg" is dumb as poo poo.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

This is the loving nerdiest goddamn discussion and I love it

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Goku loses fights all the time. So bad he dies sometimes. Over like a thousand episodes he only wins like ten times or something. He loses constantly in individual fights and just overcomes eventually over dozens of fights with the same guy.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Covok posted:

Nah, son, real talk: it don't matter. If one writer be all like "I love superman," then Superman be the top dollar. If the other writer be all like "Goku is my man", then Goku will be the loving killer. They don't exist, son. They're imaginary. They only win if you want them to win. They lose when you want them to lose. Goku got iced by a loving laser beam from a space smurf once. poo poo only matters if the writer wants it to. That's comics, man. Be chill and learn to be cool.

Well yeah of course it don't matter, but it's still fun. The point isn't that Goku wins or Superman wins, the point is coming up with an entertaining and engaging scenario where one of them wins in a way that feels authentic to their characters and original stories. Nerds talk about poo poo like this because they enjoy it, and it's an entertaining way to have a good time with other nerds.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Uhh did you SEE Super?

Covok posted:

Yo man, freezer made it clear he ain't stopping his evil ways, son. And that's what's up.

The thing about Frieza is that at this point he's much more interesting and fun as an ally than as an enemy. So even though he's clearly going to stay bad (because that's a core part of his personality), I'm positive he's going to be teaming up with the heroes again in the future.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Covok posted:

Not really, one of Goku’s defining features is being a big dummy who will put having a good fight above the safety of everyone living on his planet

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

LGD posted:

Not really, one of Goku’s defining features is being a big dummy who will put having a good fight above the safety of everyone living on his planet

Also his own, honestly getting his rear end kicked by Superman would probably make him feel super happy. There's a strong guy for him to fight! Now he can train and get stronger and fight him again! :yayclod: Everything is coming up Goku!

Goku cares way more about fighting than winning.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

This is the stupidest loving thing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Deadpool would approve.

Wonder if they're gonna use Juggernaut in the main X-men movies with this design? Not sure they've acknowledged Deadpool yet.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'm honestly not sure how they can ever reconcile deadpool with the current x-men universe. Deadpool is in modern times, the x-men are only up to the 90's in the next film (while still looking like their 30 year younger selves from first class...), I don't know how you're going to have those people playing like, a 50 year old cyclopse, or an 80 year old professor X.

Its just so hosed that I really want disney to reboot the x-men into the deadpool continuity, which would still be able to fit into the MCU.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, I don't want to get into this derail but two things have been bugging me about the Goku vs. Superman match-up.

1) Outside of heat vision and throwing stuff, Superman doesn't have ranged attacks while Goku is major part of his arsenal.
2) I'm pretty sure that a lot of Goku's attacks are considered magic, since they come from spirit, to which Superman is explicit vulnerable to. It's why Captain Marvel/Shazam is so powerful against him, Shazam is nothing but powered by magic. Goku would be like Shazam except he doesn't have Billy Batson to turn back into.

And that's not even getting into how Ki blasts are a common technique among the Dragonball regulars. Even Krillin can shoot off Ki blasts, which means if Ki blasts are magic, then Krillin could probably beat Superman.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*grabs head and runs, screaming, from the thread*

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I cracked up when Deadpool addressed Cable as 'Thanos'. And telling the biker, "This is why we don't give you more speaking lines!"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Young Freud posted:

Krillin could probably beat Superman

New thread title, completely in spirit with the movie

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Saw the movie last weekend.

Movie owns.
Domino owns.
Cable owns.

Give me more Deadpool + Cable + Domino, tia.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It was... okay? I didn't laugh nearly as much as at the first one. There was a lot to like but it didn't have the great pacing the first one did. Ryan Reynolds' constant patter wasn't as great but the slapstick gags were all on point; although it felt kinda weird I was the only one who laughed at Wade getting pulled in half. It definitely doesn't pick up until the second act. Not sorry I saw it but after the first maybe I was expecting too much. Colossus vs Juggernaut was amazing tho.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 25, 2018

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

I cracked up when Deadpool addressed Cable as 'Thanos'.
I was waiting for that for the whole movie, and it was worth it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a good, carefree delivery of jokes in this movie. I got kind of annoyed with for instance Guardians of the Galaxy 2 kind of overtly drawing attention to every joke it made, like it was scripted to death.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
On Tuesday May 29th it will be acceptable to drop spoilers. Movie will have been out a week in the United States and as the only country that matters in God’s time zone which is eastern standard time, at 8 am y’all can discuss without it. Plus Solo will be out as the new hotness to take fanboy rage so no one will care about Deadpool 2 by that time.

I am posting this now because I will be in Alaska next week and may not care to follow up then because I will be too busy fighting off bears, dog sledding, skippering my boat, and hopefully being cared for by hot women on a ship.

PoopinClumpin
Jul 4, 2006

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice this, but I rewatched Deadpool 1 last night and spotted the pizza box in the opening act is from a restaurant called "Feige's Famous"

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

whatever7 posted:

the pending merger of TW and ATT.

:laffo:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Just got back from seeing this. I can't remember the last time a movie had me laugh so much I cried.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Egbert Souse posted:

Just got back from seeing this. I can't remember the last time a movie had me laugh so much I cried.

Was it at this movie??

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

One detail I thought was funny is that dead Vanessa bits were mocking Wolverine's Jean Grey dreams, plus a bit of All Dogs Go to Heaven

FisheyStix posted:

Was it at this movie??

Looks like I went to the wrong theater and saw Book Club by mistake. :(

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Confession time: I'm kinda hoping Vanessa stays dead, so she can end up as Lady Death. It would be a subplot in Deadpool 3 that we'd only get to see bits and pieces of: there's a civil war in the underworld, and each time Wade is knocked unconscious or takes a nap we get to see Vanessa fighting demons and becoming stronger and more powerful until eventually she's running the joint.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have never "gotten" Deadpool because I don't think referential humor is funny and on that account I have no idea why I decided to see this movie. Even given that, it's not as good as Deadpool 1. "I'm going to rip you in half now" was good though.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I know talking about xkcd isn't the cool thing to do around these parts, but the move reminded me of this one:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
See, the problem with that logic not not assuming the most stupid line is the most likely.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Confession time: I'm kinda hoping Vanessa stays dead, so she can end up as Lady Death. It would be a subplot in Deadpool 3 that we'd only get to see bits and pieces of: there's a civil war in the underworld, and each time Wade is knocked unconscious or takes a nap we get to see Vanessa fighting demons and becoming stronger and more powerful until eventually she's running the joint.

I'm fine with them (initially) killing off Vanessa just so they can mock Wolverine's Jean Grey dreams from The Wolverine.

Also, did anyone else catch the huge Karl Marx portrait hanging on the wall in the X-Men Mansion?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Not Lady Death, just Death. Lady Death was an entirely separate character from an entirely separate publisher

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dont even fink about it posted:

I have never "gotten" Deadpool because I don't think referential humor is funny and on that account I have no idea why I decided to see this movie. Even given that, it's not as good as Deadpool 1. "I'm going to rip you in half now" was good though.

this one had more organic humor which is why i liked it a lot more than the first (which i wasn't a big fan of).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 27, 2018

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not Lady Death, just Death. Lady Death was an entirely separate character from an entirely separate publisher

The Marvel character was called that until they were made aware of the titty character, from what I'm aware, and now she's just Death.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Was a bit worried they might have lost something in the sequel but no, still great.

Still undecided on funniest thing but all the x-men in that back room was a belter. And everything with Vanisher. And the interviews for X-Force.

Also Domino was brilliant and good luck is an awesome superpower.

Good stuff

e: drat it I wish youtube still made it easy to see mid/post credit scenes but its all some wanker trying to "explain" things and they never just show it. Still, I read what it was and that sounds great

McDragon fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

McDragon posted:

e: drat it I wish youtube still made it easy to see mid/post credit scenes but its all some wanker trying to "explain" things and they never just show it. Still, I read what it was and that sounds great

The quality here is terrible, and it'll probably get taken down, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN6D26Op_64

• Locked thread