Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, thanks for that, just what I was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I liked it, but I don't think I liked it as much as the original - much like Guardians of the Galaxy, the first one was fresh and inventive and the second was more of the same. Really good more of the same, but didn't have the same surprise goodness.

My biggest complaint is a pretty small one: Negasonic was in the movie for about a minute, and Yukio less than that - I think Yukio got more lines in the stinger than she did in the actual movie. I think that's a real shame, the first gay couple in a superhero movie and they both seem like fun characters in their own right, and they're little more than cameos. Funny as the X-Force was, and as much as I liked Domino, I find myself wishing the movie had focused more on Deadpool and the X-Men instead.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It still makes me chuckle when I remember the only two people to survive the sky dive were the guy who can't be killed and the lady who is supernaturally lucky. Also every luck gag. I dunno if the bit where Domino says X-Force sounds a bit derivative and Deadpool shouts at Peter for it is also the luck thing but I hope so. That sort of power is such a good vehicle for comedy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

I liked it, but I don't think I liked it as much as the original - much like Guardians of the Galaxy, the first one was fresh and inventive and the second was more of the same. Really good more of the same, but didn't have the same surprise goodness.

I agree with the comparison, but I came to the opposite conclusion--Deadpool 1 and GotG 1 both lean heavy on their novelty value and don't really wow me otherwise. Both good movies, but not as good as their sequels.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thinking about it a little more, this movie echoes Guardians in another big way: I think it's basically a movie about the importance and power of having friends. Wade's relationships with Russell, Colossus, and Blind Al are obvious, but notice Cable. Cable's a very straight-laced guy, but as soon as Wade starts quipping at him, Cable quips and laughs right back. Colossus, Negasonic, Yukio, Domino, and Dopinder only come along for the finale - without whom Wade and Cable would have failed and died most likely - because they're Wade's friends. There's even an explicit beat of this group of wackos being Wade's chosen family in his own demented way.

I had the same thought about Deadpool 1: who would have figured Deadpool of all the goddamn comic book movies would be so emotionally sincere and soft-hearted under all the violence and language?

Hell, Juggernaut is only there because Russell's his friend.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 28, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

McDragon posted:

It still makes me chuckle when I remember the only two people to survive the sky dive were the guy who can't be killed and the lady who is supernaturally lucky. Also every luck gag. I dunno if the bit where Domino says X-Force sounds a bit derivative and Deadpool shouts at Peter for it is also the luck thing but I hope so. That sort of power is such a good vehicle for comedy.

To be fair, Peter survive the sky dive like a champ. He was killed only by his abundant empathy for his teammates. :smith:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wade trying hard to be woke in a very earnest way was funny.

Also the split second bit where you see the X-men in the other room and an annoyed Beast shuts the door.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Panfilo posted:

Also the split second bit where you see the X-men in the other room and an annoyed Beast shuts the door.

The tiniest cameo but so funny.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The rest of the X-Men turn off the lights, hide and pretend they're not home whenever Deadpool is around. Except for (sometimes) Juggernaut, and NTW because she gives no fucks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The rest of the X-Men turn off the lights, hide and pretend they're not home whenever Deadpool is around. Except for (sometimes) Juggernaut, and NTW because she gives no fucks.

They're probably not happy with how DP1 indicated that Colossus has been trying to recruit Deadpool for a while now.

Almost makes you wonder if Vanessa was on to something with her last warning to Wade...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I want Deadpool 3 to have Deadpool meet Wolverine, then they both immediately break into a musical number.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
I really enjoyed it. There were so many great comedic beats, and whomever upthread mentioned how they were organic and seamless compared to how forced Guardians 2 was hit the nail right on the head.

Also, it was only shown briefly a few times in the prison fight, but does the dial on Cable's rifle go up to 11? It looked like it went to 11 but I'm not 100% sure.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Verloc posted:

I really enjoyed it. There were so many great comedic beats, and whomever upthread mentioned how they were organic and seamless compared to how forced Guardians 2 was hit the nail right on the head.

Also, it was only shown briefly a few times in the prison fight, but does the dial on Cable's rifle go up to 11? It looked like it went to 11 but I'm not 100% sure.

yes, hence deadpool's reaction

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This is what I assumed. The X-men react like it's Jehovas witnesses coming to the door. Deadpool doing donuts in the X- chair probably didn't endear them much.

Colossus puts up with him because Colossus is obviously by the book and concerned with violating Xavier's anti discrimination policy. Negasonic is basically still an intern at this point and doesn't have the seniority to duck under an ottoman every time Deadpool shows his pockmarked face. And her girlfriend is new and just taking everything at face value, plus DP is super nice to her which probably makes a good impression.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just saw this the X-Force death was hilarious. I thought it was especially hilarious they used Zeitgeist for that scene.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That scene is great because it's A) Hilarious and B) tells us so much about Deadpool and Colossus's characters: Deadpool so annoying and unpleasant that basically every other superhero wants nothing to do with him, and yet Colossus keeps trying to recruit him and rescuing him when he's in trouble because Colossus is just that much of a good guy boy scout that he'll continue trying to help someone even when he has zero support and would suffer no repercussions for giving up (in fact his teammates would probably PREFER it if he gave up).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm glad everyone either misread my mistake right back around or silently understood it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panfilo posted:

This is what I assumed. The X-men react like it's Jehovas witnesses coming to the door. Deadpool doing donuts in the X- chair probably didn't endear them much.

Colossus puts up with him because Colossus is obviously by the book and concerned with violating Xavier's anti discrimination policy. Negasonic is basically still an intern at this point and doesn't have the seniority to duck under an ottoman every time Deadpool shows his pockmarked face. And her girlfriend is new and just taking everything at face value, plus DP is super nice to her which probably makes a good impression.

The constant upbeat "Hi/Bye Yukio!" from Deadpool was probably my favourite little running joke in the movie. :3:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

For all Deadpool's cynicism and total lack of verbal filter, if someone's nice to him, he'll be nice right back.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For all Deadpool's cynicism and total lack of verbal filter, if someone's nice to him, he'll be nice right back.

Deadpool is sincere and optimistic in a way, even though terrible things keep happening to him and he keeps making mistakes. It's part of why the movies work.

e: So far Deadpool has tried to kill the military-industrial complex and the school-to-prison pipeline. What's next, barbecuing venture capitalists in X-Force? :ussr:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 30, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

sean10mm posted:

Deadpool is sincere and optimistic in a way, even though terrible things keep happening to him and he keeps making mistakes. It's part of why the movies work.

e: So far Deadpool has tried to kill the military-industrial complex and the school-to-prison pipeline. What's next, barbecuing venture capitalists in X-Force? :ussr:

Given their luck so far, I think it'd be X-force getting the BBQ.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Deadpool seems like a cool guy. I'd hang out with him. The X-Men are just squares.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sean10mm posted:

The media industry because Mojo is going to be the main villain if they don't pass up a perfect opportunity.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont think there will ever be a more hilarious ending image than that stupid look on Ryan Reynolds face as he gets shot through the head.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Mods please change my name to cable's fashy haircut tia.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Accordion Man posted:

The media industry because Mojo is going to be the main villain if they don't pass up a perfect opportunity.

You could kill two birds with one stone and have Mojo's empire floundering so he grabs X-Force to make Mojoverse great again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I loving loved the music in the last big fight when I caught on to what was happening with the lyrics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

You could kill two birds with one stone and have Mojo's empire floundering so he grabs X-Force to make Mojoverse great again.

Deadpool would have to note how incredibly meta it all is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Figures that it takes a black comedy spinoff to actually get the Juggernaut right, and they didn't even give him a unique actor.

For what's basically a fairly one-note character, the Juggernaut has always been a very effective villain. An unnaturally huge dude with a hulking silhouette defined not just by incredible strength but unstoppable indomitable force, and unlike the raging Hulk, a fully aware man who simply doesn't care about anything not the current target of his wrath.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Figures that it takes a black comedy spinoff to actually get the Juggernaut right, and they didn't even give him a unique actor.

For what's basically a fairly one-note character, the Juggernaut has always been a very effective villain. An unnaturally huge dude with a hulking silhouette defined not just by incredible strength but unstoppable indomitable force, and unlike the raging Hulk, a fully aware man who simply doesn't care about anything not the current target of his wrath.

Yeah the Juggernaut works as a villain because he is a total monster, but is fully cognizant of it all. There is no "better man" underneath it hes just a full blown psychopath that got powers and is now going to use them to hurt people.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not the first time they skipped over the whole magic jewel turning him into an evil god's avatar thing. Though I remember the X-Men Evolution cartoon had the Jewels of Cyttorak or whatever be a powerful upgrade artifact for mutants, which Magneto had used as well. (And Magneto in that cartoon also stole the Captain America super-serum; it turns out while it's eventually fatal to humans, it has the opposite effect on mutants and rejuvinates them.)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'll let them slide on the gem since he looked amazing, his helmet looked perfect (with nice modifications so it can actually turn), and most importantly they mentioned xavier being his brother.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
If Juggernaut is Xavier's brother, then why isn't he old?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Actually on further thought, Firefist befriending the Juggernaut makes his future trajectory towards killing Cable's family make a lot of sense. For a heavily abused kid of a strongly oppressed minority, Juggernaut is the ultimate power and revenge fantasy even beyond Magneto. "drat it feels good to be a gangsta!" indeed.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

We never got a great look at him under that helmet, maybe he is old!

I doubt he's going to shrink down just cause he's 60 or whatever.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Dang this Cable cosplayer was really committed to authenticity

https://i.imgur.com/eBZjpRq.mp4

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I want this Deadpool sequence to happen in the next movie, god damnit.

https://imgur.com/r/malaysia/2eKh1

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If Cable is from so far in the future why does he need to kill the kid?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azubah posted:

If Cable is from so far in the future why does he need to kill the kid?

He's only from 30-40 years in the future, I think. The kid grew up to be a world-class supervillain in his timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Juggernaut doesn't age. He's basically cursed with immortality.

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah the Juggernaut works as a villain because he is a total monster, but is fully cognizant of it all. There is no "better man" underneath it hes just a full blown psychopath that got powers and is now going to use them to hurt people.

Even when he's treated as a more likeable character, he usually makes everything worse because of his brutish behavior. He's a normalized Hulk.

• Locked thread