Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Fried Sushi posted:

If you do the intro Ravenloft quests you get a set of 460 gear that can get you through at least the earlier modules. Takes about 10 minutes and you can totally avoid any combat so a fresh 70 can do it no problem.

Unfortunately my main's only level 66 at this point. But soon as I hit 70, it's Ravenloft HO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fried Sushi posted:

If you do the intro Ravenloft quests you get a set of 460 gear that can get you through at least the earlier modules. Takes about 10 minutes and you can totally avoid any combat so a fresh 70 can do it no problem.

I wish they would put that on the PS4 already. I just got a brand new level 70 with all the free stuff they handed out for the anniversary event and don't want to waste resources gearing up when I know I'm going to get a full set for free.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

League set is a good start, which you should have gotten free from the jubilee packs, I think that's 430 IL. You can also get the head and chest from the pilgrim set from the tradebar merchant, which is about 460. Then buy the chult weapon set from the tradehouse and you'll be in the high 9k range depending on enchants and followers etc.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Bit of a strange question. Neverwinter was my first introduction to Cryptic MMOs and I went back to see how it's gone in the years I've been playing Champions. Was there some kind of big graphics update? The character models all seem much nicer, but my GWF looks all weird compared to other characters he stands near. And I can't actually seem to recreate anything like his face and hairstyle in the present character creator.

edit: Yeah, I continued looking around and it seems like there was a fairly hefty update to the options in character creation at some point. I can't seem to find out when, though. Maybe when the game launched onto Steam? But the elf/half-elf options are much worse, I think.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 11, 2018

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

What was the xp curve like when this game started? It seems like the tyranny of dragons campaign and the crafting sytem expect you to be leveling much slower.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember at launch it was still super fast. You easily outleveled the content. Star Trek Online, and Champions Online were like that too, so that is kinda Cryptics M.O. and then their end game content is just absurdly difficult.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

They literally made being in a large guild part of endgame gear progression.

You lose 2k ilvl by not having a large guild.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I really need to switch PS4 guilds. When I used to play every day I joined a reddit guild, thinking it's reddit - there'll be a ton of people so everything will be upgraded.

Nope. The sub actually has a rule preventing there being one 'official' guild (because it's run by the devs who want to encourage lots of guilds), so it's very common to fish for ages for a good casual guild only to find they haven't built a farm and the officers all went idle months ago.

I'm pretty drat sure there's no goon PS4 guild, and the only other person I know that plays is in a hardcore epic dailies group that schedule their raids 2am our time. Having tried to shop around for a while, the guilds usually turn out to be at one of the two extremes.

So yeah, i've pretty much just accepted that I'm probably going to have to just give the guild experience a miss.

If you get booted from a guild do you lose the perks?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 17, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yes, you lose your guild boons which can be quite severe to character progression. I feel like boons need a complete overhaul because how they are earned is frustrating and confusing.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yes, you lose your guild boons which can be quite severe to character progression. I feel like boons need a complete overhaul because how they are earned is frustrating and confusing.

Yeah the Boon grind has kinda soured me on the game a bit, I tend to like to play a lot of alts and playing alts in this seems like it would be horrible, just focusing on the HR now not sure I will have the stomach to do all the campaigns on another character.

Also is anyone in a decent guild on PC that is accepting new members? I didn't realize how many ilvls you got from guild boons but seems like its almost a necessity to get in one.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bert Roberge posted:

You lose 2k ilvl by not having a large guild.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it's run by the devs who want to encourage lots of guilds

:thunk:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I mean that's just my observation, and I don't think it's done out of malice or anything. ManicGypsy is usually really helpful and nice (she was pleased to hear my two year long quest for a free unicorn has finally reached a conclusion), and I think they want to discourage there being one huge 'official' guild, they seem to want people to make their own.

Ladt I checked on PS4 Filthy Casuals seemed good, but that was literally years ago so god knows who's good or even still active.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I just started playing this again on PC, and man I forgot how fun it is. I mostly ignore the bazillion different currencies and I'm just enjoying the gameplay and leveling. I also really dig the companion and mount collecting. Turn s out I had over a half a million astral diamonds on an old character so I decked my dragon man GWF out and I'm just tearing poo poo apart.

Is Something Lawful still active?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is the OP still mostly up to date? looking for a new time sink and I might give this a shot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Len posted:

Is the OP still mostly up to date? looking for a new time sink and I might give this a shot.

It is! NWN is straight forward until level 70, so at the very least this is a good free game to get into until then. I haven't been playing lately, but also have put in over 880 hours so i'm burning out on NWN myself.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I assume it's better on PC than PS4?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, i've played the console version and couldn't stand the controls and UI. PC is way better and gets content updates faster.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The console version is usually a module behind the PC, has no foundry (which is a major omission) and the controls are a little awkward.

If you have the choice at all, get it on PC.

E: It's still fun on console, it's just it's a lot better on PC.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I thought it played great on console. Well, apart from the beyond terrible performance.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

As I edited in, it's still fun on console. It's just a lot more fun on PC.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I jumped in and played a bit.

Is there any class with fluid combat? After playing BDO and Secret World i found the rooted to floor while using skills painful :/ (coming from someone that lvled a WS with BH in lineage2 without botting)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GWF is the movement melee class, I guess Warlock is the movement ranged class?

GWF is pretty fun, though they do get a bad rep in endgame dungeons. Especially if (like me) you have a halfling wearing courtesan gear called Tiberius Cohen, who's companion is his dad.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

HR can be pretty mobile too, they have a few skills with longish cast times but you don't really need to use them. Also they have a bunch of roots so you can root dash out of range and use the cast skill then dash back.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!
So I know there's no goon guild, but does anyone playing this on PC have a guild with space in it that would allow someone who plays occasionally to jump into? I've got some stronghold contribution items I could donate to whatever guild I end up in, and mostly just want to get the passive benefits as I go. I'm generally zedmel@zedmel in game.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I need to find an active guild on PS4 I'm trying to grind out some more boons before ravenloft but my random guild I joined is lacking.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Is there no goon guild on PC? Should I start one? I just started playing and don't know how yet

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apparently Ravenloft is now out on PS4!

Patch Notes

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also free stuff for ps+ / xbl subscribers to celebrate the launch.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Just installed this on my ps4. I'm guessing I'll need to be higher level to go to ravenloft which is about all that caught my interest in this game.

How is the level grind? Doable pretty quickly with a bit of effort or is it nonstop grinding for a month?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Just installed this on my ps4. I'm guessing I'll need to be higher level to go to ravenloft which is about all that caught my interest in this game.

How is the level grind? Doable pretty quickly with a bit of effort or is it nonstop grinding for a month?

Leveling to 70 is quick, the grind to get your gear level up enough to do Ravenloft will probably take a couple months.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Ah jeez, 2 months of endgame grinding sounds really rough. I'll still probably give the game a shot but it seems kinda dead on ps4.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The grind to be ready for the castle will be a long one, but the rest of the campaign( apart from the top rank hunts) is very accessable to anyone at 70. You get a set of gear right at the beginning of the questline that will catch you right up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

tweet my meat posted:

Ah jeez, 2 months of endgame grinding sounds really rough. I'll still probably give the game a shot but it seems kinda dead on ps4.

I was wondering about PS4/Xbox populations. I play on PC and it's still super busy here. The social hubs are crowded with players and getting into dungeons is instant.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Thranguy posted:

The grind to be ready for the castle will be a long one, but the rest of the campaign( apart from the top rank hunts) is very accessable to anyone at 70. You get a set of gear right at the beginning of the questline that will catch you right up.

Is that gear enough? I thought you needed to be around 10-11k gear level to quest there, I tried to kill a few mobs right after getting the set on a fresh 70 and got splattered, but maybe I was just not evading enough.

Also I had a blast with this game for a couple months but burnt out grinding campaign dailies for boons by the time I got to IWD and the Cloak Tower campaigns. Wish it was more alt friendly without pushing you to buy Zen to skip campaigns.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Thranguy posted:

That sounds much better, as long as I can somewhat hold my own with it. I do really like the combat, it feels streamlined and satisfying without sacrificing a lot of depth, which can be hard to pull off in an mmo. I'll probably burn out but I'm committed to giving it a shot now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The PS4 population is fine, queueing is pretty quick and you can usually find groups. Probably not as many people as on PC, but there are more than enough. There's no goon guild though, which is a real shame.

I'd forgotten what it was like to actually have to pay attention playing this game. Most of my play over the past few years has consisted of logging in for events and doing the daily AD dungeon runs, so smashing level 60 content with relatively obscene gear basically.

But since getting to Barovia I've been getting my poo poo pushed in hard, even with the free upgrade set. My old AC build is fine in groups, but I might have to look up some more recent DC/DO DPS builds for soloing.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
DC\DO built for DPS seems amazing for solo after running AC pretty much the entire time I've played. I even end up as the #1 damage dealer when I go into random queues. That's probably saying more about the toons in the random queues than about my toon, but still.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh my god. I found out why my character was so weak. Turns out when the update hit, I got a free respec, which I got halfway through and then decided to do more research on.

What I didn't realise was that it was one of the old style respecs, so it reset all my bonus character stats from levelling, so I was running a cleric without any extra WIS, STR or CHA.

I've changed it and tweaked a few of the feats and boons for survivability and it's now back in that sweet spot of not being annoyingly difficult, but not being easy enough to sleepwalk through, at least for the solo stuff.

Still got my rear end handed to me in 11k Fangbreaker though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bump because day of the dungeon master is up on consoles. For those of you who don't know, it's a D&D metajoke campaign hosted by Chris Perkins of Acquisitions Incorporated / D&D Next fame. Lots of in-jokes and references.

No huge rewards for doing it, but it's fun as hell and gets you unique fashion items & titles as well as the Adorable Pocket Pet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Decided to try this game out after a long time, I had two characters whose last played was in 2014, so I deleted a lowly level 3 and started fresh.

I don't remember ANY of the quests that I'm on happening, I'm at level 20 and I seem to remember drastically different quests and leveling speed prior, I even seem to remember completely different zones with undead as opposed to this spelltouched thing going on. I still have a level 33 cleric from 2014, but there's no mount, gear sucks, and no bags at all. I don't even remember this weird campaign thing that gives me a bag of holding.

I guess my questions is, was the game changed DRAMATICALLY since 2014? Should I just delete my level 33 and start something new, and is there anything I can or should transfer off that character like any currencies or anything?

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 25, 2018