Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

lol if you posted:

ok i'm not a smart person but something is confusing the poo poo out of me. about half the time i queue for a dungeon everyone just runs forward without any coordination or even trying to attack anything until they reach any sort of hard stop door/gate at which point they immediately splatter because they've pulled half the trash in the place which they are clearly not equipped to handle. then they respawn and do it again. over and over and over. like, dozens of times.

i'm on a free account with cobbled together gear and only a basic understanding of how to play and somehow my DPS cleric regularly tops the damage dealt chart with 0 deaths. assuming we even make it to the end which often as not we don't because everyone drops.

are they really just that stupid? do they think they have some magic way of ditching all aggro that doesn't just dump it all on whoever is next in line behind them because of run speed differences?

Because that strategy worked for the last few years, then for Mod 16 they re-balanced stats to make things a bit less ridiculous. Doesn't keep people from downloading old bot programs, turning them on, and then afk'ing for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
i'm actually really enjoying this game and my initial dungeoning experience has changed somewhat. i think part of that is getting to 80 which opened up my options for dungeon queueing a bit more and also just making the conscious decision to ignore sprinters and hang back with the slowpokes to work them through trash mobs.

i've just barely cracked 13k IL and can top out around 1.9mil DPS on Hunt and Dread Legion regularly, which usually lands me in the top 3 for the party and a lot of times as #1.

there's a few campaigns that i can't even begin to crack (Chult, Icewind Dale, the mission in Undermountain where you team up with the green dragon against the lich with straight up stupid amounts of mobs, haven't tried Barovia beyond sprinting to the first set of blue gear when I hit 80) and the grind is pretty bad but I like just seeing how they implemented Faerun so I'm not grinding for a goal. that'd be way frustrating.

like any F2P game it is pretty blatant how much is locked behind cash. i've literally gotten exactly 1 purple drop (the ball of tentacles companion) and that's after playing for more hours than i care to count.

now i'm staring at the intermediate dungeons and trying to build up confidence to join parties where my inexperience will actively lead to wipes. i don't really want to be the person who sucks so bad that it ruins 4 other people's game

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

lol if you posted:

i'm actually really enjoying this game and my initial dungeoning experience has changed somewhat. i think part of that is getting to 80 which opened up my options for dungeon queueing a bit more and also just making the conscious decision to ignore sprinters and hang back with the slowpokes to work them through trash mobs.

i've just barely cracked 13k IL and can top out around 1.9mil DPS on Hunt and Dread Legion regularly, which usually lands me in the top 3 for the party and a lot of times as #1.

there's a few campaigns that i can't even begin to crack (Chult, Icewind Dale, the mission in Undermountain where you team up with the green dragon against the lich with straight up stupid amounts of mobs, haven't tried Barovia beyond sprinting to the first set of blue gear when I hit 80) and the grind is pretty bad but I like just seeing how they implemented Faerun so I'm not grinding for a goal. that'd be way frustrating.

like any F2P game it is pretty blatant how much is locked behind cash. i've literally gotten exactly 1 purple drop (the ball of tentacles companion) and that's after playing for more hours than i care to count.

now i'm staring at the intermediate dungeons and trying to build up confidence to join parties where my inexperience will actively lead to wipes. i don't really want to be the person who sucks so bad that it ruins 4 other people's game

I don't know what times you play. But I'm on most of the time between 5pm CST and 9pm CST. Shoot me a tell @Ackbarre just saying you are protected or :frogout and I'll try and help you. I've soloed the Lich in Undermountain on my wizard.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
man that's really nice of you. i'm in PST time which I think is +2 from you. i don't get a lot of weekday play time cause of work and such but i'll look for you on the weekends!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

So someone on reddit just claimed that healing is an actual role again. Is this true? Because if so it might be worth dusting off and respeccing my old DC.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

So someone on reddit just claimed that healing is an actual role again. Is this true? Because if so it might be worth dusting off and respeccing my old DC.

Yes, it's as almost a real mmo now, with threat management and heals and everything. Lifesteal was done away with.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Holy loving poo poo have they gone nuts with changes. Console just got 6.0 and uh... this is going to take a while to get my head around.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have no idea what's going on anymore. Divinity is now just a button I press that does nothing. My at wills are a case of 'use one 'til the pips are full then switch to get a damage bonus', right?

Is wisdom still a primary attribute? It says so on the wiki but I don't know if that's left over from the old version.

Divine glow got nerfed through the goddamn floor :smith:

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have no idea what's going on anymore. Divinity is now just a button I press that does nothing. My at wills are a case of 'use one 'til the pips are full then switch to get a damage bonus', right?

Is wisdom still a primary attribute? It says so on the wiki but I don't know if that's left over from the old version.

Divine glow got nerfed through the goddamn floor :smith:

amount of divinity gained is based on pips. if you've got a whole stack of 6 pips and raise divinity you should see 1/3-1/2 recovered all at once

from searching around, common arbiter builds are now focussed on DEX and CHA. i don't heal so WIS might still be preferred there.

mostly my rotation is: throw lances until Piercing Javelin procs then throw that for crit-AOE. if Sudden Verdict procs throw the single target divine attack whose name escapes me. at 80 with blue gear focussed on power my crits are usually in the 11k-19k range but sometimes I'll see 30k+ off sudden verdict if i'm fighting lowbie poo poo like AI runs

all of this is subject to change in mod 17 which i guess is coming out in a few weeks? also Gith is a new playable race in mod 17

edit: DEX not INT. stack crit severity

lol if you fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 13, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think the worst thing about trying to find answers was that any search with Mod16 in it brings up a bunch of articles saying the game is dead and most of the playerbase has left.

I mean I enjoy the game, I'm not thinking of protest quitting or anything, and I'm sure I'll adapt eventually, but it's not made any easier by the lack of any way in game of reviewing the mechanics. I don't understand what divinity, sudden verdict and the other one are, and I can't find any good in-game info. I'm sure it explains it all for new players somewhere, but I'm pretty lost and am having to absorb it all slowly so that I can get my head around which perks to choose and why.

You don't mention encounter powers in your rotation, are they a thing?

Have Wizards changed much? My wife's main is a Wizard so I'm hoping not, she is not good at dealing with stuff changing.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 13, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Quote is not edit.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I think the worst thing about trying to find answers was that any search with Mod16 in it brings up a bunch of articles saying the game is dead and most of the playerbase has left.

I mean I enjoy the game, I'm not thinking of protest quitting or anything, and I'm sure I'll adapt eventually, but it's not made any easier by the lack of any way in game of reviewing the mechanics. I don't understand what divinity, sudden verdict and the other one are, and I can't find any good in-game info. I'm sure it explains it all for new players somewhere, but I'm pretty lost and am having to absorb it all slowly so that I can get my head around which perks to choose and why.

You don't mention encounter powers in your rotation, are they a thing?

Have Wizards changed much? My wife's main is a Wizard so I'm hoping not, she is not good at dealing with stuff changing.

there's a recent thread in the official wizard forms that has a good build for both single-target and AOE

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Just got back into the game for the first time since 2013. Dusted off my old trickster rogue (which is now called a rogue, I see), and I've forgotten everything. The new module didn't help much either. Also, the goon guild I was in seems to be dead and buried a long time ago.

Any guides or anything out there for a good pve rogue build these days? All my old bookmarks are dead.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Dear god Tiamat is a shitshow now.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Have any of the updates in 2019 reduces the grind at all? I’ve never played this game but was thinking about trying it. I’ve been loving playing DDO so it sounds fun to play a game with the same setting.

Also, is there a spellsword type class or build? Such a sucker for those.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ort posted:

Have any of the updates in 2019 reduces the grind at all? I’ve never played this game but was thinking about trying it. I’ve been loving playing DDO so it sounds fun to play a game with the same setting.

Also, is there a spellsword type class or build? Such a sucker for those.
The biggest improvement is the refinement system. It used to be that you needed to refine gems into the item you wanted to improve, certain items were worth more when used to refine matching items (belts with belts, gems with gems etc) and then depending on what type of item it was, you needed one of (six?) items to take it up to the next tier.

Now, you just convert any spare items / gems into a currency called refinement points, which you then spend improving the item. When you need to take it to the next tier there are now two items you need to get past the next tier.

You don't need legendary pets for late game, you can just stick to the lower tier campaigns if your gear isn't up to scratch... Once you hit 60 you can skip straight to sharandar, then at 70 get someone to run you through the barovia intro, then at 80 pick up the free set of blues better than ladt module's endhame stuff, then start doing dailies and getting emdgame purples.

Gear progression in this game is weird, because so many modules just give away gear that vastly outstrips anything the other modules are capable of rewarding you with, landing you at mid-tier daily dungeons but with no real experience of how you need to run your character in groups.

What do you mean by spellsword? You can do a pure melee ranger, or I guess Paladins have a mix of melee and holy magic.

Ok thanks, that’s helpful. By spellsword I meant like a melee wizard or mix of magic user and melee. Like a death knight or eldritch knight. None of the classes read like that, so I’m guessing Paladin is the closest thing like you said.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Neverwinter: It's Good

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
Whatchu up to in-game?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
currently cranking through Icewind Dale quests, getting that Caer-Konig rep for the campaign, I already have bullshit amounts of campaign currency so it's just up to earning the rep to unlock the boons now

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Anyone got any pro-tips for a crappy newbie Barbarian? I last played like 80 years ago and set this guy up with a dragon bone weapon, exp gems and apparently a goat pet, my goal is to dps until I know enough about the game to start tanking random dungeons and stuff

Level 47, I basically just mash buttons until things die but it feels like there's probably some finesse I'm missing

Also is there any way to ramp up my self-healing in tank spec?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Despite thread deadness I wanted to post an update to my earlier reply about my crappy barb:

I hit 80, ran 2 of those master expeditions and lucked out harder than a 3-time lottery winner so now I'm the proud owner of an alabaster greatsword and sword knot, then I farmed ape for an hour and got rusted iron leggings which are apparently great but now I take 25% less healing so I don't know how I feel about the arrangement

I upgraded my sword to orange but I stopped at purple on the knot, any real good reason to sink AD into maxing out the knot? And any suggestions for alternate feet for when I can't afford the healing debuff? The only info I can find online is like 2 mods outdated so I don't know what's still relevant and what isn't

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Is it still braindead leveling? Last time I tried it with a group of friends we were killing the “boss” before all of us could get our daily off.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

definitely pretty braindead leveling

The Big D
Oct 3, 2002
Does that goon made foundry dungeon still exist? I remember it being hilarious and would reinstall just to play it again, or did anyone make a video of it?

Edit: Found it, The Old Jerry Saga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRlIxtZM7IU

The Big D fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 13, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

The Big D posted:

Does that goon made foundry dungeon still exist? I remember it being hilarious and would reinstall just to play it again, or did anyone make a video of it?

sadly no, they removed the foundry entirely and there are no longer user-made dungeons available.

....however, neverwinter: it's still fuckin' good imo someone come run legacy campaigns with me because i skipped them all on my way to 80 and am now catching up on stuff i was supposed to learn as part of the lore at like, level 40

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun
I'm not playing currently but will second that this is a good game! Played a ton a year ago and had a lot of fun.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
I also like this dumb game, but the grinding for boons and the dailies/weeklies included got to be too much for me eventually.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

I also like this dumb game, but the grinding for boons and the dailies/weeklies included got to be too much for me eventually.

It's true - it's a lot less engaging than other things, but if I get bored I just run stronghold heroics with a couple guild members or queue up for an epic dungeon or master expedition.

Overall though, the journey from 1 to 80 and beyond is probably the most fun I've had in an MMO, but I never really got into most MMOs so this may or may not be a good thing w/r/t how "casual" this game is compared to others. It's sure as gently caress a lot more engaging and fun than WoW ever was to me, though!

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 15, 2020

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

I started losing interest when I did a random trial as a healer, and my party members were getting one and two shot, while my healing was maybe eking out like, 20% of their health bars. It was an absolute lovely feeling, and looking up to see that the solution was spending absolute fucktons of diamonds to get the required companions to boost my healing didn't help that feeling.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Just be glad it's not as bad as it used to be where it would let you spec healing only to find out that warlocks were better at healing and had way more fun. At least you can heal now.

Although I miss spamming divine glow.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can you play this with a controller on PC?

How solo friendly is this as far as just jamming through stories and quests?

How easy/awful is it to do group content that finishes or ties into story arcs?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

victrix posted:

Can you play this with a controller on PC?

How solo friendly is this as far as just jamming through stories and quests?

How easy/awful is it to do group content that finishes or ties into story arcs?

I don't think you can play with a controller, but the game is super solo friendly, and group content is actually one of the easiest out there for an MMO. Its usually just one person blowing through all of the content for everyone else.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the sub/dlc/f2p model? Is there some sub that gives access to everything, or do I need to buy it in bits and pieces?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

victrix posted:

What's the sub/dlc/f2p model? Is there some sub that gives access to everything, or do I need to buy it in bits and pieces?

All the content is free; the sub gets you a bunch of critical qol enhancements and a daily lootbox key, and can be paid for with currency that can be obtained f2p.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Also it used to be possible to buy your first month of VIP, sell any rare cosmetics that came out of the boxes on the auction house, and use that to fund your next month. However they rebalanced the loot boxes a while back and you have to be very lucky to get away with that now.

If you don't want to spend real money you could save up your spare astral diamonds and convert them into zen, and then use that to buy vip.

A lot of the big events (summer & winter festivals, anniversary) sometimes give away 30 days vip for free, so keep an eye out.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Been playing this a bit, up to mid 30s and just barely past the first area or two, joined some random level 20 dumb guild from the guild finder so I at least have alliance chat to answer stupid newbie questions.

It's pretty fun, I'm playing a Barbarian ~BlaDEMaSTEr~, and the combat feels pretty good.

Hating the slow rear end mount.

The two dungeons I've done so far have had incredibly short queues as a dps (like, a minute or two tops?!) which is weird and scary to me when my last MMOs were FF14 and ESO, both of which have awful dps queues.

The dungeons themselves were super meh though, even with apparent level scaling the level 80s just trashed everything, so I dunno how long it'll take before I see anything hard.

Waiting for the f2p grind beast to bite me in the rear end, hasn't been an issue so far.

Curious to see if the story/ies get interesting soon, because while the combat is pretty fun, there's nothing really engaging enough to keep me going long term if I don't latch on to something else, be it story or exploration or whatever.

The story is not much to write home about honestly. Some of the zones are cool but the depth of the story is surface level at best.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Reinstalled this stupid game on my PS4. I’ve mostly played it on PC, but it works well on console as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

Went back to my lvl 70 Paladin on PC. Playing through the new campaign thing now, Undermountain. Currently at lvl 77, it's quite good!