Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I decided to jump into this finally after getting a twitch pack thing. I got a month of VIP and some neat goodies so I made a Half Orc Warlock that seems fun, but now I see I have a bit over 4k Funbucks that I can get the 'new adventurer' pack with that also has a month of VIP and goodies. Might as well use this on a different character so I'm not just showering the orc in stuff, but what's another good class that's a fun change from Warlock? I'm thinking Paladin or Ranger may be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Paladin is slower but you are basically indestructible. I preferred Ranger overall because you can mix between ranged and melee so it felt very active, but they aren't as sturdy as Paladins and even Warlocks if I recall correctly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Do Rangers ever get proper 'nature magic' like in the tabletop or is it pure Legolas style 'stabby stabby, backflip, bow bow'?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

Do Rangers ever get proper 'nature magic' like in the tabletop or is it pure Legolas style 'stabby stabby, backflip, bow bow'?

They get some nature based stuff like entangling roots and bark armor type spells. Some Lightning stuff as well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No animal companions though? Doesn't seem like there's a 'pet class' in this

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
No pet dedicated class, but everyone gets henchmen and there’s a large variety of animal henchmen.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Started this back up last night, new character (Great Weapon Fighter, Human).

First thing I saw after being gone for 2+ years is that I'm still in the DNDGoons channel -- but no one else was. :D

I tried looking up builds, but every build site for NW sucks as far as this build goes. Guess I'll try to puzzle it out!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I randomly reinstalled this after I saw the Twitch loot stuff. I guess I have 2 "100% off 30 days of VIP" coupons, but I want to get a feel for the game again before I use them.

I am a level 25 Scourge Warlock, and I have no idea where I am in quests/stories, whether my gear is any good, or any of that.

I'd honestly roll a new character except that it looks like a lot of the limited time/promo stuff I've gotten is character bound, not account bound?

Is there a way for me let you all see my character and gear and get feedback on what I should be doing? The only purple/epic item I have equipped is a "relic", the "Heart of the Red Dragon", and it says Rank 60, Progress to Next Rank 0/550.

I've got a bunch of random stuff in my bags, but I don't remember what is important or not, and I don't want to waste a good consumable/insignia/enchantment thing.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

You can get yourself at or near the top level of endgame loot by doing the start of the Barovia questline. Once you get to the town square, you get a pack that gives you a full class-appropriate loadout, which you can then use to do the first two ranks of daily quests, which you can then spend at the seal vendor to get better gear.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You can get yourself at or near the top level of endgame loot by doing the start of the Barovia questline. Once you get to the town square, you get a pack that gives you a full class-appropriate loadout, which you can then use to do the first two ranks of daily quests, which you can then spend at the seal vendor to get better gear.

What level do I need to be to do that? Like I said I am level 25 :v:

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Leveling to 70 is pretty quick in this game. If you can, join a guild, any old guild. Even the deadest guild will give you access to three daily quests based on doing things you'll already be doing (a leveling dungeon, quests in a leveling zone, and killing level-appropriate enemies) that give huge amounts of xp.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Cool.

As far as my ability point things, is there a good leveling build, or is it irrelevant? I have a free respec apparently so I figured I'd look for a leveling guide, but I haven't found ANYTHING for below-endgame content.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I missed where you said you were level 25, so yeah, that's level 70 content. When you hit 70, do dungeons or sharandar until you have a full set of greens, then do Barovia for the free blues.

I'm not sure what the recommended order of the endgame modules is, but it's not listed in that order anywhere in game, so it might be worth looking up. There are huge differences in required gear score between say elemental evil and storm king.

I think it's still sharandar, then elemental evil, maybe dwarven king & underdark, and i'm not sure after that.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Alright, cool.

So no worries about skill points?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I tend to put 2 points in every power until I hit 70 so I can play about and see what I like, then at 70 you can buy a reroll token from the orb lady, look up a build by searching "neverwinter scourge warlock 2019" on google and then going with whatever build sounds most fun.

You also get 2 loadouts free now, so you don't need to choose between paths. I tend to spec one loadout for solo and one for groups (I main a DC, so one is dps solo and the other is a tankier buff build).

You probably won't need skill points before that point, but I think by level (60?) you get enough points to open up one of the end-of-chain powers, and they can add huge utility.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
Re: skills & power points - in a month-ish the new module hits and it's bringing with it a total revamp of a bunch of systems. Power points are gone, along with feats as they are currently, so don't sweat your build too much.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
I found a pubbie guild which seems active enough, although they have a requirement that max level characters contribute something called "influence"? Is that a normal/reasonable requirement? I just don't want to find I'm being taken advantage of :v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Annath posted:

I found a pubbie guild which seems active enough, although they have a requirement that max level characters contribute something called "influence"? Is that a normal/reasonable requirement? I just don't want to find I'm being taken advantage of :v:
Influence is fine - you get it from guild dailies and you drop it off at the stronghold. Guild officers can see if you haven't been contributing.

Guilds which ask for zen or AD can get in the loving sea.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume not, but is there a planned date for when the new update hits the live servers? I just poked my head back in for the first time since 2013 (a friend just picked it up fresh) and was kinds overwhelmed with it trying to get me to respec every mechanic at once. I look forward to the simplification and removal of doing it "wrong".

Other than that stuff it looks like since 2013 crafting was tweaked in an approachable way, and upgrading gems (or whatever they're called) no longer requires hoarding lower-rank gems and taking up all your bag space. Sounds good.

E: okay, did the Undermountain banner on the launcher always say April 23, or did it *just* go up to mess with me?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 6, 2019

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I don't really know what I was expecting, but playing as an Oath of Protection Paladin is basically "stand around and wait for things to die." With Templar's Wrath I gain a bunch of temporary HP every 11 seconds, Divine Touch reduces incoming damage, and even one of my basic attacks grants me damage resistance. I don't think I kill things so much as sit back and wait for my companion to arrow them to death.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

I left for a few expansions and literally don't understand crafting and I guess salvaging doesn't work any more?

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Looks like some major changes in Mod 16, might hop on and check it out, hoping the changes to boons makes it more alt friendly.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I got a code from buying some RAM, have at it:

BiDq9nPd

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie

Cross-Section posted:

I got a code from buying some RAM, have at it:

BiDq9nPd

Claimed & thanks!

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Is there still a goon guild? I recently re-installed and it seems pretty fun so far.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Also looking for a guild that's a step up from whatever random group of people I found in general chat.
Missy Swordnboard@richarbnixon

I'm coming back after a very long break - I stopped playing shortly after module 1 was released. So much has changed and I have no idea what's going on or what to do. I've joined a few random queues and did the intro to campaigns storyline and the merchant guild one.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

DankRhymer posted:

Is there still a goon guild? I recently re-installed and it seems pretty fun so far.

There's been some attempts to get one off the ground. Main issue is having enough people be on at the same time to do it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's been some attempts to get one off the ground. Main issue is having enough people be on at the same time to do it.

Maybe just get a lot of goons in a pubbie guild and over the period of a few months do some social engineering to get ranked up and then take ownership of the guild through some offsite drama?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Richard M Nixon posted:

Maybe just get a lot of goons in a pubbie guild and over the period of a few months do some social engineering to get ranked up and then take ownership of the guild through some offsite drama?

I'm in favor.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

How much does this game have in common, like, narrative and setting wise with Neverwinter Nights? I've put like 80 something hours into NWN over the past month or so and its made me wish there was a contemporary incarnation, then I remembered this game exists.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Frog Act posted:

How much does this game have in common, like, narrative and setting wise with Neverwinter Nights? I've put like 80 something hours into NWN over the past month or so and its made me wish there was a contemporary incarnation, then I remembered this game exists.

I'm not sure about specific plots that may overlap, but all the big locations and types of creatures exist. It's a very familiar setting.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
So one of these boxes gave me an orange item that will instantly max out one profession. What profession would be best to max for a Warlock? None of them are very high level, the highest is like 14 in tailoring?

My character has slowly made its way to level 38 as I've played on and off over the years, but I still don't really understand much other than "click buttons while looking at enemies" and have generally not died...

Also this new content patch (?) reset my skills, so what ability scores should I increase? All CHA for a warlock? Or is it more nuanced than that?

DraconicBlade
Jan 12, 2010
Who has ownership of Something Lawful these days? I logged in 4 years later and it looks preeety defunct.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

DraconicBlade posted:

Who has ownership of Something Lawful these days? I logged in 4 years later and it looks preeety defunct.

lol I just logged in today and it basically kicked me out, I can't get into the guild at all even though when I logged in it showed the name under my character. oh well

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
ok i'm not a smart person but something is confusing the poo poo out of me. about half the time i queue for a dungeon everyone just runs forward without any coordination or even trying to attack anything until they reach any sort of hard stop door/gate at which point they immediately splatter because they've pulled half the trash in the place which they are clearly not equipped to handle. then they respawn and do it again. over and over and over. like, dozens of times.

i'm on a free account with cobbled together gear and only a basic understanding of how to play and somehow my DPS cleric regularly tops the damage dealt chart with 0 deaths. assuming we even make it to the end which often as not we don't because everyone drops.

are they really just that stupid? do they think they have some magic way of ditching all aggro that doesn't just dump it all on whoever is next in line behind them because of run speed differences?

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

lol if you posted:

ok i'm not a smart person but something is confusing the poo poo out of me. about half the time i queue for a dungeon everyone just runs forward without any coordination or even trying to attack anything until they reach any sort of hard stop door/gate at which point they immediately splatter because they've pulled half the trash in the place which they are clearly not equipped to handle. then they respawn and do it again. over and over and over. like, dozens of times.

i'm on a free account with cobbled together gear and only a basic understanding of how to play and somehow my DPS cleric regularly tops the damage dealt chart with 0 deaths. assuming we even make it to the end which often as not we don't because everyone drops.

are they really just that stupid? do they think they have some magic way of ditching all aggro that doesn't just dump it all on whoever is next in line behind them because of run speed differences?

It's been a few months since I played but this is the general strategy with pubbies. They are only queued up for the good loot at the end so they skip everything that they can which would be the mobs between bosses. A lot of times the group you get stuck with is pure trash and only by the grace of God do you get a group that can finish. At least that was my experience. YMMV.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Been a while since I've played, but as I recall it's only really Epic Temple of the Spider where this is a problem: there are shortcuts bypassing mobs everyone is expected to use and following without them causes that kind of trouble. In most of the other dungeons that didn't happen. (In the leveling dungeons people run ahead, but can solo the bosses in seconds if they have to.)

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004

lol if you posted:

The problem is that the daily random queue is the main source of astral diamond income for most people, so anytime you don't queue for anything with a pre-made party you get thrown in with a bunch of randoms who all expect someone else in the group to carry everyone. Which does work for any dungeon in the leveling and intermediate queue, as long as you have at least one dps player with reasonable endgame gear in the group; but if the group ends up not having any or you are actually queuing for something from the advanced or expert queue, you will be hosed, and pubbies in general just keep smashing their heads into the wall a few times and then quit.

DraconicBlade
Jan 12, 2010

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

lol I just logged in today and it basically kicked me out, I can't get into the guild at all even though when I logged in it showed the name under my character. oh well

Send me an in game message @draconiseablade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Not gonna lie I made a new character earlier last week and I'm about halfway to max level and having a total blast. Game still owns imho