Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Can you play this with a controller on PC?

How solo friendly is this as far as just jamming through stories and quests?

How easy/awful is it to do group content that finishes or ties into story arcs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What's the sub/dlc/f2p model? Is there some sub that gives access to everything, or do I need to buy it in bits and pieces?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Been playing this a bit, up to mid 30s and just barely past the first area or two, joined some random level 20 dumb guild from the guild finder so I at least have alliance chat to answer stupid newbie questions.

It's pretty fun, I'm playing a Barbarian ~BlaDEMaSTEr~, and the combat feels pretty good.

Hating the slow rear end mount.

The two dungeons I've done so far have had incredibly short queues as a dps (like, a minute or two tops?!) which is weird and scary to me when my last MMOs were FF14 and ESO, both of which have awful dps queues.

The dungeons themselves were super meh though, even with apparent level scaling the level 80s just trashed everything, so I dunno how long it'll take before I see anything hard.

Waiting for the f2p grind beast to bite me in the rear end, hasn't been an issue so far.

Curious to see if the story/ies get interesting soon, because while the combat is pretty fun, there's nothing really engaging enough to keep me going long term if I don't latch on to something else, be it story or exploration or whatever.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

After hitting 80 and getting my head around the ten thousand number-go-up mechanics, I'm having a good time with this.

Once you realize this is an extremely popcorn junk food game it's pretty fun, hit monster, get thing, number go up, repeat.

And a lot of the mid to late game areas are much, much cooler than the super janky start in the city itself.

It's also shockingly well populated (or at least, shockingly to me, maybe it's always been popular, I don't know). Dungeon queues are lightning fast even as dps, and any campaign area is generally active, event and endgame areas are jam packed with people.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Patch dropped today, Module 19

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11469683-patch-notes%3A-version%3A-nw.122.20200614a.9

They seem to be operating under a structure now where they do a major Mod release, then do periodic updates with smaller content drops/patching, then another major Mod, etc. They did a roadmap to outline what's coming:

One thing not clear to me is if they're still strictly following the pen and paper DnD module releases, because if they are, that would make Mod 20 another Icewind Dale release, which seems really weird given the amount of ID crap they already have in the game.

A pretty funny discussion from one of their designers about tweaks to HP, specifically about THE FORMULA they use internally on... all Cryptic games?!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1256606

annnnd finally, Cryptic is celebrating their 20th anniversary, which is kind of impressive in this genre

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11465713

Free poo poo for all their games, the Neverwinter reward is super nice (take a Rank 15 Bonding Runestone if you have no idea what the gently caress, if you have an idea you'll know what to take instead).

edit: Almost forgot, apparently they are adding Bard as a new class at some point down the road according to a few rumors

fake edit 2:

new zone lets you drive around in a mad max junker

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 30, 2020