Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

DraconicBlade posted:

Who has ownership of Something Lawful these days? I logged in 4 years later and it looks preeety defunct.

lol I just logged in today and it basically kicked me out, I can't get into the guild at all even though when I logged in it showed the name under my character. oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Not gonna lie I made a new character earlier last week and I'm about halfway to max level and having a total blast. Game still owns imho

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Neverwinter: It's Good

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

currently cranking through Icewind Dale quests, getting that Caer-Konig rep for the campaign, I already have bullshit amounts of campaign currency so it's just up to earning the rep to unlock the boons now

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

The Big D posted:

Does that goon made foundry dungeon still exist? I remember it being hilarious and would reinstall just to play it again, or did anyone make a video of it?

sadly no, they removed the foundry entirely and there are no longer user-made dungeons available.

....however, neverwinter: it's still fuckin' good imo someone come run legacy campaigns with me because i skipped them all on my way to 80 and am now catching up on stuff i was supposed to learn as part of the lore at like, level 40

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Zam Wesell posted:

I also like this dumb game, but the grinding for boons and the dailies/weeklies included got to be too much for me eventually.

It's true - it's a lot less engaging than other things, but if I get bored I just run stronghold heroics with a couple guild members or queue up for an epic dungeon or master expedition.

Overall though, the journey from 1 to 80 and beyond is probably the most fun I've had in an MMO, but I never really got into most MMOs so this may or may not be a good thing w/r/t how "casual" this game is compared to others. It's sure as gently caress a lot more engaging and fun than WoW ever was to me, though!

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 15, 2020

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

no goon guild, Something Lawful died a long time ago, before they removed the foundry iirc

also w/r/t the ability to play this game solo/without a guild - I literally didn't get into a guild until after I had gotten two separate characters to max level on my own, so I'd say it's a pretty safe bet you can solo the entire game

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

rev up those steam wallets, we got a new module comin' out in february

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/11482743

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEHO5OveVSY

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

I tried to run Demogorgon before the update at 22k ilvl and we got wiped four times in a row. it loving sucked so bad lol I almost don't even want to log in and see how much harder it is now (but I'm gonna do it anyway as soon as they push Sharandar out). I have no idea how they figure that poo poo can be run at 20k. Cryptic is really not good at pacing their content, it's true. game is still fun as hell but the difficulty curve is horseshit

this is the before and after of my dragonborn DPS barb. most of that poo poo is/was BIS gear up until recently and even before the update it felt like I was hugely outmatched

barnold fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 10, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

creatine posted:

I played this game years ago but have been looking for something else to play in my downtime so thought of coming back. Are there recent guides for like classes and builds? I like the idea of paladin and cleric but all the guides i see are mod 17 while I think the current mod is 20?

You're going to want to use this website: https://nw.mmominds.com/, or alternatively there's a really cool NW Character Builder program someone made that hooks directly into that database and puts everything into a (somewhat) easy-to-use menu system where you can save and load different builds or compare online builds to each other. You can download it from here (it's a Patreon link, but the Character Builder is free to download and doesn't require login/a subscription): https://www.patreon.com/RainerNW/posts?tag=CharacterBuilder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUywLFbsz7Y

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

mod 21 with new bard class with playable instrument ocarina of time style is coming (and a complete and total leveling rework), get the gently caress in :evilbuddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLvELmHfbTs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXyONjFjAKc

trailer came out ages ago but I'm never gonna not try to resurrect this dead gay thread for this dumb goofy game that I like

barnold fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 23, 2021

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Hearing July 27 for Mod 21 from the other people in my guild, so better get those last couple Deeds-based achievements done if you care about that kind of thing before those leveling areas get deleted. Looking forward to making a Bard healer and seeing how things go. I started a new pally tank toon a couple weeks ago so once bard drops I'll have a proper rotation of characters to play

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Okay, I read through some of the developer blog posts and have got the gist of it: anyone who already had an existing character gets to level 20 immediately, and there's a set of gear that immediately propels you to the baseline item level to start the endgame. Any new characters will have to go through a more tailored/set-piece leveling process that takes about 12 hours.

next question: what *is* the endgame, and how do I get started on it?

the endgame, as in once you finish all your leveling adventures, are the campaigns (most of which were there in the game before and your progress will stay the same if you started any of them prior). the campaigns get progressively more difficult but unlock sweet new dungeon queues for you to go and run. then it's really just about getting up your item level and obtaining Maximum Power Levels

max level is 20 now to make the game more in line with the tabletop game, where the max level is also 20. it's not a horrible change imo. i also really like the bard so far

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

DankRhymer posted:

Alright, just rolled up a cleric to play a bit. Any decent guilds with goons in them?

nope, Something Lawful is looooooooong dead and pretty much nobody plays this game other than me and maybe 1-2 other people posting ITT. if you're looking for an active guild on PC, i'd recommend checking out the Pirate Code alliance, they have a bunch of different guilds for different play styles. I was in their main questing/events one for a while but just transferred to a slightly more inactive one because I couldn't keep up with the stronghold event schedule and wasn't contributing to the coffers enough lol

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I got a bee in my bonnet to play this game again for some reason. Didn't it used to have an offline adventure minigame? Is that still a thing?

I think you're thinking of the minigame from the official NW companion app/website, which was shut down in 2016. game still fun though :toot:

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what happens if you just try to launch the game? there are no DLCs available for NW on Xbox that aren't Zen packs or chests, both of which are redeemable in-game

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

drat. No replies in almost 12 months. Guild dead, I guess?

barnold posted:

Something Lawful is looooooooong dead and pretty much nobody plays this game other than me and maybe 1-2 other people posting ITT.

...i mean yeah lmao. i haven't played much since the big rework since it took my endgame barb down to like a late mid-game level barb but i've been thinkin about playing again maybe

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

she's dead jim but enjoy the game, it's a blast

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

functionally the journey from 1 to what is now level 20 is exactly the same, with the exception that "leveling up" is now milestone based rather than purely XP based as you've said. so there are a handful of leveling areas that were removed, but the main story is fundamentally the exact same and you are still playing through all of the major dungeons and plot points that you would have before. for me, progressing through the story was just as fun. the main story is separated into the "Campaigns" category, with all the endgame stuff now categorized as "Adventures" with repeating tasks

it has been a while since I logged into my bard, which was the only fresh character I played after the progression update, but I don't recall anything being particularly P2W with the main campaign. it really only kicks into high gear once you finish the campaign, but several of the endgame adventures were made a little easier (I pretty much insta-completed Tyranny of Dragons on my main character the first time I logged in after the update, which was arguably one of the grindiest parts of the game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

last time I played I hung out in Protector's Enclave for a while and it was pretty busy with player characters. one guy was trying to teach bards how to play songs with the number keys on the ocarina or whatever instrument it was. haven't seen that kind of community get-together in NW in a long time